The Student Room Group

STEP II 2015 Solutions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Here is the solution to 6.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434653046.825182.jpg
Did not do the first parts as they were trivial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I seem to disagree with both of the offered solutions...anyone see our errors??
Original post by mikelbird

Lol look at your work again mate.
You went from pi^3-3pi^3/2=3pi^3/2
If you did that part correct you get my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikelbird

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1436001895.631583.jpg
The last two lines.
It shud go pi^3I-3pi^2(pi/2I)=-pi^3/2
This leads to the correct answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1436001895.631583.jpg
The last two lines.
It shud go pi^3I-3pi^2(pi/2I)=-pi^3/2
This leads to the correct answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers...sometimes you simply cannot see these things for looking....
Reply 24
Here is my solution to Q9
Original post by Brammer
Here is my solution to Q9

Thanks! It's been so long now I can't reember what my final answer was, buI didn't do it the same way as you: I found the point of unstable equilibrium and calculated the change in GPE needed to get there.
Solution to Question 10 of step II
for what it is worth regarding Question 9, I do think the answer given makes rather heavy weather of the first two parts....but let it be said the answer is right!!
I think this is OK for question 11....any faults please let me know!
Original post by Gawain
STEP II 2015

Q1) team-f-maths (attached to first post)
Q2) Gawain
Q3) Gawain
Q4) team-f-maths (attached to first post)
Q5) Gawain
Q6)
Q7) Goose Lane
Q8) Gawain
Q9) [url="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57555953&
postcount=25"]Brammer

Q10)
Q11)
Q12)

I'll upload Q2 once I've managed to upload my diagram.

In 4(ii) surely the curve tends to the same horizontal line as x tends to plus or minus infinity.
Here are my solutions for questions 12 and 13.
Original post by Gawain
Q3)Extra triangles gained adding a rod length 8:
(8,7,1-6) = 6 Triangles
(8,6,2,5) = 4 Triangles
(8,5,3-4)= 2 Triangles

So T8T7=6+4+2=12 \displaystyle T_8-T_7=6+4+2 =12

Through a similar method T7T6=5+3+1=9 \displaystyle T_7-T_6=5+3+1=9

Therefore T8T6=21 \displaystyle T_8-T_6=21

Trivially: T2mT2m1=m(m1) \displaystyle T_{2m}-T_{2m-1}=m(m-1)

and

T2mT2m2=(2m1)(m1) \displaystyle T_{2m}-T{2m-2}=(2m-1)(m-1)

Induction:

Base: With 4 rods we can make 3 triangles, also T4=3 \displaystyle T_4=3 so our base case works.

Assumption: T2k=k(k1)(4k+1)6 \displaystyle T_{2k}=\frac{k(k-1)(4k+1)}{6}

Induction: T2(k+1)=(2k+1)(k)+T2k \displaystyle T_{2(k+1)}=(2k+1)(k) + T_{2k}

Simplifying we get:T2k=(k+1((k+1)1)(4(k+1)+1)6 \displaystyle T_{2k}=\frac{(k+1((k+1)-1)(4(k+1)+1)}{6}

Using the second difference formula we get:T2m1=m(m1)(4m5)6 \displaystyle T_{2m-1}=\frac{m(m-1)(4m-5)}{6}

I know it's meant to be the easiest part of the question but can anyone explain why 4 rods make 3 triangles, given that you can onl have one of each length isn't it just 2 triangles?
Why are tan(α)=2n2\tan(\alpha) = -2n^2 and tan(α)=12n2\tan(\alpha) = \frac{1}{2n^2} equivalent statements ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alisdair
Why are $\tan(\alpha) = -2n^2$ and $\tan(\alpha) = \frac{1}{2n^2}$ equivalent statements ?
Obviously, they're not equivalent (barring some other conditions that seem unlikely to be true). Some context, please?
Original post by DFranklin
Obviously, they're not equivalent (barring some other conditions that seem unlikely to be true). Some context, please?

Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to this post :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3411533#post57155041
Original post by Alisdair
Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to this post :
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3411533#post57155041
OK, well without having the paper or done the question, I think what they're saying is that when you solve for tanα\tan \alpha those are the two possible solutions (i.e. it's NOT saying they're equivalent).

I assume that the question context lets you rule out tanα=2n2\tan \alpha = -2n^2 as a valid solution.

(It should have been explained, I guess, but you should note that there's no guarantee that posted solutions are perfect, or even correct!)

Edit: found the question; since it's an angle in a triangle, 02απ0 \leq 2\alpha \leq \pi and so we can rule out the -ve solution.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
OK, well without having the paper or done the question, I think what they're saying is that when you solve for tanα\tan \alpha those are the two possible solutions (i.e. it's NOT saying they're equivalent).

I assume that the question context lets you rule out tanα=2n2\tan \alpha = -2n^2 as a valid solution.

(It should have been explained, I guess, but you should note that there's no guarantee that posted solutions are perfect, or even correct!)

Edit: found the question; since it's an angle in a triangle, 02απ0 \leq 2\alpha \leq \pi and so we can rule out the -ve solution.

Right ! I was a bit stuck there and didn't realise there were two solutions. Thanks !
Reply 37
Original post by Gawain
STEP II 2015

Q1) team-f-maths (attached to first post)
Q2) Gawain
Q3) Gawain
Q4) team-f-maths (attached to first post)
Q5) Gawain
Q6)
Q7) Goose Lane
Q8) Gawain
Q9) Brammer ; Alt - mikelbird
Q10) mikelbird
Q11) mikelbird
Q12) brianeverit
Q13) brianeverit

Paper (Google Drive link courtesy of jneill)

Q4) arctan(12)π4\arctan\left (\frac{1}{2} \right ) \neq \frac{\pi}{4}
Q6) (almost a complete solution)
I apologise in advance for any typographic errors, it’s late and the post preview isn’t showing me the LaΤεΧ. I’ll fix it as soon as I can.

i) sec2(π4x2)=1cos2(π4x2) \sec^2 \left( \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2} \right) = \dfrac{1}{\cos^2 \left( \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2} \right)}

Now, cos2a=2cos2a1\cos 2a = 2\cos^2 a - 1, therefore cos2a=cos2a+12 \cos^2 a = \dfrac{\cos 2a +1}{2}.

Therefore, 1cos2(π4x2)=2cos(π2x)+1=21+cos(π2x)=21+sinx \dfrac{1}{\cos^2 \left( \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2} \right)} = \dfrac{2}{\cos \left( \frac{\pi}{2} - x \right) + 1} = \dfrac{2}{1 + \cos \left( \frac{\pi}{2} - x \right)} = \dfrac{2}{1 + \sin x }

For the integral:

1221+sinxdx=12sec2(π4x2)=tan(x2π4)+C\displaystyle\frac{1}{2} \int \dfrac{2}{1+\sin x} dx = \frac{1}{2} \int \sec^2 \left(\frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2} \right) = \tan\left( \frac{x}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) + C

(From trying 2tan(π4x2)-2\tan \left( \frac{\pi}{4} - \frac{x}{2} \right) as an antiderivative, and carrying the negative from inside the tangent function to outside, as the tangent function is odd.)

ii) 0πxf(sinx)dxπ0(πy)f(sin(πy))d(πy) \displaystyle\int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx \longrightarrow \int^0_\pi (\pi - y) f \left( \sin(\pi-y) \right) \, d(\pi - y)

=π0[(πf(sin(πy))πf(sin(πy))]×1dy\displaystyle = \int^0_\pi \left[ (\pi f \left( \sin(\pi-y) \right) - \pi f \left( \sin(\pi-y) \right) \right] \times -1 \, dy

0πxf(sinx)dx=π0πf(siny)dy0πyf(siny)dy\displaystyle \int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx = \pi \int^\pi_0 f\left(\sin y\right) dy - \int^\pi_0 y f\left(\sin y\right) dy

Because this is now exactly in the form originally given, we can pretend all the y-variables are x-variables or, more rigorously, perform the substitution x=yx=y.

Therefore 20πxf(sinx)dx=π0πxf(sinx)dx\displaystyle 2 \int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx = \pi \int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx ,
and 0πxf(sinx)dx=π20πxf(sinx)dx\displaystyle \int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx = \frac{\pi}{2} \int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx ,
as required.

Evaluating 0πx1+sinxdx=π20π11+sinxdx\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 \dfrac{x}{1 + \sin x} dx = \frac{\pi}{2} \int^\pi_0 \dfrac{1}{1 + \sin x} dx

=π2tan(x2π4)0π= \left. \dfrac{\pi}{2} \tan \left(\frac{x}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) \right|_0^\pi

Unparseable latex formula:

= \dfrac{\pi}{2} \left( \tan \left( \frac{\pi}{4} \right) - \tan \left( -\frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{\pi}{2} (1--1) = \pi

iii) 0π2x33πx2(1+sinx)2dx\displaystyle\int_0^\pi \dfrac{2x^3 - 3\pi x^2}{\left(1 + \sin x\right)^2} dx

Try applying the same trick as earlier with 0πxf(sinx)dx\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 x f\left(\sin x \right) dx on a higher power of x. I first tried on x2x^2 but it turns out we should use x3x^3, substituting u=πxu = \pi - x.

0πx3f(sinx)dxπ0(πu)3f(sin(πu))×1du\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 x^3 f\left(\sin x \right) dx \longrightarrow \int^0_\pi (\pi - u)^3 f \left( \sin(\pi-u) \right) \times -1 du
=0π(π33π2u+3πu2u3)f(sinu)du\displaystyle = \int^\pi_0 (\pi^3 - 3\pi^2 u + 3\pi u^2 - u^3) f \left( \sin u \right) du

Rearranging and applying the rule calculated in part ii on the second term of the binomial expansion gives 0π(π33π2×π2)f(sinu)+(3πu2u3)f(sinu)du\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 \left(\pi^3 - 3\pi^2 \times \frac{\pi}{2} \right) f \left( \sin u \right) + (3\pi u^2 - u^3) f \left( \sin u \right) du.

Therefore 0πx3f(sinx)dx=0π(π33π2×π2)f(sinu)+(3πu2u3)f(sinu)du\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 x^3 f\left(\sin x \right) dx = \int^\pi_0 \left(\pi^3 - 3\pi^2 \times \frac{\pi}{2} \right)f \left( \sin u \right) + (3\pi u^2 - u^3) f \left( \sin u \right) du.

Replacing u with x and rearranging:

0π(2x33πx2)f(sinx)dx=π20πf(sinx)dx\displaystyle\int^\pi_0 (2x^3 -3\pi x^2) f\left(\sin x \right) dx = -\frac{\pi}{2} \int^\pi_0 f\left(\sin x \right) dx

And therefore,

0π2x33πx2(1+sinx)2dx=π20π1(1+sinx)2dx\displaystyle\int_0^\pi \dfrac{2x^3 - 3\pi x^2}{\left(1 + \sin x\right)^2} dx = -\frac{\pi}{2} \int^\pi_0 \dfrac{1}{\left(1 + \sin x \right)^2} dx

And that’s as far as I got. I haven’t yet been able to work out the integral of 1(1+sinx)2 \dfrac{1}{\left(1 + \sin x \right)^2} .

{Help-request edit: can anyone tell me why the LaΤεΧ formatting isn’t working?} Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
(edited 6 years ago)
@DFranklin in Q8 here it's fine to take x1=0\bf{x_1}=\bf{0} for part ii) and then x2=0\bf{x_2}=\bf{0} for iii) right, since no origin was specified?

I think this makes the computation significantly easier (than both here, in integral maths and the MS), and leads to an almost elegant solution to a dreaded vectors question :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending