The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 - 15th June, 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Praying for the paper to be easier than c1 and c2 as need an A... why are all the past papers so easy in comparison why are they doing this to us :frown:
What's the best way to distinguish between continuous and discrete data?

Also...

What are the rules when drawing boxplot outlier-lines and outliers marked with an 'x'?
Like, how come sometimes the line that is drawn goes to the last observable figure in the data, but then other times you actually use the upper/lower outlier that you have worked out?

^Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm having trouble explaining it :frown:

WTF... Seriously, why is the June 2015 paper so difficult?! The textbooks for this unit don't even prepare you for these types of questions as it doesn't explain reasons behind things it literally just shows you steps instead of giving you knowledge. Im actually going to fail this unit! The past papers seemed easy up until now :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Philip-flop

Also...

What are the rules when drawing boxplot outlier-lines and outliers marked with an 'x'?
Like, how come sometimes the line that is drawn goes to the last observable figure in the data, but then other times you actually use the upper/lower outlier that you have worked out?

WTF... Seriously, why is the June 2015 paper so difficult?! The textbooks for this unit don't even prepare you for these types of questions as it doesn't explain reasons behind things it literally just shows you steps instead of giving you knowledge. Im actually going to fail this unit! The past papers seemed easy up until now :frown:

In the 2015 paper you're expected to ignore outliers when working out the IQR, so I assume that is the rule(?)
Original post by Avocado2002
In the 2015 paper you're expected to ignore outliers when working out the IQR, so I assume that is the rule(?)

Thank you!!
Original post by tazza ma razza
jan 16 ial - any copies available?

Here you go:
Grade boundaires are quite low for this paper. 72 for full ums 58 for an A. Does a hard paper in January mean an easy paper in June?
(edited 7 years ago)
I've got two final questions before I think I'm all set for S1. The IQR range represents 50% of the data, right? And in normal distributions is the mean equal to the median? I did a question where you worked out the upper quartile and then they asked you to write down the lower quartile. What I did was find the difference between the upper quartile and the median then subtracted that from the median to find the lower quartile. Is that a valid method?
Original post by isabella1999
Praying for the paper to be easier than c1 and c2 as need an A... why are all the past papers so easy in comparison why are they doing this to us :frown:

Couldn't agree more!! It's almost like they don't want us to do well in these exams!! The past papers from year to year have slowly gotten more difficult (but still fairly straight forward) and then suddenly they're just impossible!! C1 was a complete joke and I feel like I have majorly been screwed over by Edexcel. I'm actually considering switching over to AQA and doing both AS and A2 in one year :frown:
Original post by target21859
I've got two final questions before I think I'm all set for S1. The IQR range represents 50% of the data, right? And in normal distributions is the mean equal to the median? I did a question where you worked out the upper quartile and then they asked you to write down the lower quartile. What I did was find the difference between the upper quartile and the median then subtracted that from the median to find the lower quartile. Is that a valid method?

mean = median for normal distrubtion as it is symmetrical about the middle value which has equal data and probabilities either side of this midpoint value (the median as it is known) But drawn on a normal distribution graph, the mean is the line of symmetry therefore mean = median. From this, quartiles are easy to work out (the method you used is correct - tho i would recommend using the lower quartile as you dont have to use a minus z value)

yes, the iqr is the middle 50% of data
can someone help me with this q?

Q5E
(edited 7 years ago)
Solomon E Q2.pngHow do you work out Var(R) without having to do the whole E(R^2)-((E(R))^2 ?

Also...

Continuous data are data which you can't really categorise and are constant, such as distance, time, weight, temperature. Discrete is the latter e.g. number of times people walk past your house (this kind of data are in form of whole numbers, using the previous example, you can't have 3.4 people walking past your house).

Just use X for outliers. The line goes to the last observable value if there is no outlier, so always find the outliers before drawing a box plot.

Keep persevering, and go over questions you don't understand over and over again so that if you encounter a similar problem you'd be able to tackle it as you would know what to do. :tongue:
oh this is the answer if it helps
Original post by Zakiiiii
can someone help me with this q?

Q5E

Do you know what paper that's part of?
Original post by hogree
Do you know what paper that's part of?

sorry i thought i attched the picture, its 2013 june R Q5e edexcel
(edited 7 years ago)
Couldn't agree more!! It's almost like they don't want us to do well in these exams!! The past papers from year to year have slowly gotten more difficult (but still fairly straight forward) and then suddenly they're just impossible!! C1 was a complete joke and I feel like I have majorly been screwed over by Edexcel. I'm actually considering switching over to AQA and doing both AS and A2 in one year :frown:

Ive heard that they're trying to make the last new papers of the old/linear spec harder so that when they introduce the new maths a level it'll make the results look better. Theoretically we should all do better in any reformed a levels like sciences than old ones(maths,geography etc) because they want to maximise the success/reputation of the new two year courses and not put everyone off.
Anyone have any idea why S1 June 2005 has such a low grade boundary?
Original post by Marxist
Anyone have any idea why S1 June 2005 has such a low grade boundary?

This spec was new in 2005, hence a lower boundary, since then, boundaries have steadily risen
Taking S1 as part of my A2 maths, quite worried, as I need at least an A overall, which means I need a solid A in S1
What did you all think of the 2015 June paper. If the papernis like this I will ne happy, none of those histograms in it! It was great apart from the end question mixing probability questions with mormal distribution!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending