The Student Room Group

A Bipolar's Journey To University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
omg you study like me :five:
Given up with cards, I used to do them for GCSEs but they're doing nothing for me this year :frown: so notes, past papers, videos :five: and erm Quizlet :tongue:

Loving the time lapse (was it on electricity? :mmm:)
Just did about 2 hours of mass defect/binding energy revision and nearly finished :tongue:
Question time, you've inspired me to keep going so thanks Strawbs! :jumphug:

GO STRAWBARI! :yay: Keep up the fab stuff! Loved this post :woo: :excited: :hugs: :party: :ahee:
[scroll] :banana: [/scroll]

Original post by homeland.lsw
sorry i couldn't respond earlier :sad:

never did flashcards either, but i always felt jealous of the people who did cos i thought they were better than my pissy back and white notes :lol: i was wrong :colone:

also really glad to see ur getting more of the normal moods, i can get that drastic mood swings are not the greatest at all. :redface:

KEEP GOING, ur doing great! and I really loved the video, but it must be a pain to constantly rule your own margins

Woo I'm not alone in my flash card aversion :woo: :party:

Thanks so much guys :hugs: :lovehug:
Original post by StrawbAri
Woo I'm not alone in my flash card aversion :woo: :party:

Thanks so much guys :hugs: :lovehug:

:grouphugs: :ahee: we're the cool ones, really :smug:
Hope u r ok Strawbs! :hugs:
Mum wouldn't let me buy strawberries yesterday :cry2: but we have bananas :bl:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:grouphugs: :ahee: we're the cool ones, really :smug:
Hope u r ok Strawbs! :hugs:
Mum wouldn't let me buy strawberries yesterday :cry2: but we have bananas :bl:

I'm doing okay surprisingly :lol:
What nooo :zomg:
But... but strawberries are the best :emo:
Bananas are okay I guess :sly:
I'm doing okay surprisingly :lol:
What nooo :zomg:
But... but strawberries are the best :emo:
Bananas are okay I guess :sly:

YASS STRAWBS! :jumphug:
I have had wayyyyyy too much sugar today and so I have made myself ill :emo:
It's a real tradgedy :emo:
:emo:

I do love bananas

Spoiler

Week Seven

Blog post 13
01/03/2017

Avoiding Careless Mistakes

Hey Guys!
So recently I was solving some problems for an assignment for my maths tutor and when I brought it back for him to mark, I had lost so many marks for errors I could have easily avoided and it reminded me of all the times I'd done past papers in the past and lost precious marks because of avoidable errors so I thought it'd be a good idea to share tips I've learnt on how to actually avoid them and hopefully I can take my own advice :emo:

Get enough sleep. There is no way your brain is going to be functioning well enough to actually answer questions properly if you're on just 3 hours of sleep per night. NO WAY. Trust me. You're not focused enough and you're tired so definitely 3 times 4 will start looking like 22. If you get as little sleep as I do you're going to fall asleep in your test and not even finish it in the first place. (I have fallen asleep in an exam before. True story.) So yes, please get adequate sleep and your mind will be alert and functioning well enough to answer questions properly.

Write out all the variables listed in the questions before solving the problem. This. Is. Important. Writing out the variables you can work with from the question will help you figure out which formula to use faster. You'll be less likely to miss out something important or use the wrong formula when you're aware of all the variables given in the question.

Go over your work. This is probably the most important tip here. I can't say how many times I've found an error that would have lost me marks during the time I set aside for going over my work. Try to set aside at least 20 minutes at the end of a test or exam to go over your work and check + double check for possible mistakes.

Don't skip steps. Don't do this. No matter how well you think you know the method. Don't skip whole steps in solving because you think it's faster to do it in your head. You'll be more likely to make a mistake that way or miss something. Plus an added benefit is that in most mark schemes there are marks for the working out so putting down all the steps will maximise the amount of marks you get.

Study Update

I've decided I'm going to take a different approach to logging my study updates so that theyre more detailed.
Also I was meant to start with timed past papers this week but my tutors gave me loads of assignments so didn't have the time. Hopefully I can do at least one set for both maths and physics later on in the week.

Days since last update:

Friday: My maths tutor and I went over normal distributions and that means I'm finally done with the statistics portion of the maths syllabus. I did an assignment for my physics tutor and an open book physics practical paper that evening.
Saturday: Maths tutor came again and we looked at matrices (fmaths) and did past questions on finding the rank of a matrix and the dimensions and basis of a null space. Didn't do anything else unfortunately
Sunday: Took a rest day
Monday: Revised circular motion and gravitational fields in physics.
Tuesday: Revised ideal gases and temperature in physics and did a worksheet on matrices.

All in all, not as productive as I would've liked but hopefully that will improve this week :smile:

Here's my notes on electronics:

Spoiler

Life Update

Life is so dulllllll. No other offers and it's been 6 weeks :emo:
Nothing really has happened except for my friend who's at uni that came to visit me yesterday.

Sorry for any mistakes :colondollar:
My laptop is still busted
Love this blog!! Really inspiring :clap2::clap2:
I'm in Year 12 currently, and I'm struggling SO much with work load. Your notes are super cute - I wish mine looked like that haha! Can't wait for your next update, and to see where you end up at the end of the academic year :heart::heart::heart::heart::h:
Original post by senrab15
Love this blog!! Really inspiring :clap2::clap2:
I'm in Year 12 currently, and I'm struggling SO much with work load. Your notes are super cute - I wish mine looked like that haha! Can't wait for your next update, and to see where you end up at the end of the academic year :heart::heart::heart::heart::h:

Omg thank you so much :hugs:
I'm glad I could inspire you :colondollar: and I'm sure you can handle it :smile: Just remember to take breaks and practice self care when you feel like it's getting too overwhelming.
And ahaha thanks :colondollar: irl they look a bit dodgy though
:hugs:
Just got an offer from UCL :woo:

Such a bittersweet moment because I can't afford it :emo:

Congratulations StrawbAri! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:well done, you really deserve it! I'm sure UCL have some form of financial assistance in place that you can look in to?

Well done again!

What if you got an evening job while you were there? It's really easy to find bar/restaurant work in London.
Original post by In Him we trust
Congratulations StrawbAri! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:well done, you really deserve it! I'm sure UCL have some form of financial assistance in place that you can look in to?

Well done again!

Thanks so much! :smile:
There aren't that many funding opportunities for international students unfortunately :redface:
I don't know if I can secure government funding from my country before the deadline to firm/insure

Well done! UCL is an amazing uni :smile:

Week Seven

Blog post 14
07/03/2017

Something A Little Different Today

Hey guys,
Todays post will be a little different as I don't have a main topic to write about. Just thought I'd do a more detailed update on where I am currently with life.

Study Update

Days since last update:

Thursday: Didn't get any work done today for reasons talked about in the life update section.
Friday: Maths tutor came today and we started on the second topic in the mechanics and statistics module for fmaths (it's a combined module) which was Motion in a circle. Managed to revise some of the topics in the pure maths module maths I was having trouble with (integration by substitution of trig functions). Also did a worksheet on motion in a circle as an assignment for my tutor.
Saturday: Maths tutor came again and we worked on the motion in a circle chapter more. It's divided into two, motion in a vertical circle and motion in a horizontal circle so we did the bit about vertical circles.
Afterwords I did an open book practical paper I was supposed to submit last week for my physics tutor who came later in the day. We went through a diagnostic theory paper he had me do and I'm good at all the mechanics/thermal physics/communications parts but I need to work on my knowledge of electronics and nuclear physics so I'll focus on that more in revision.
Sunday: Another unintentional rest day. Was meant to work but family drama threw me off.
Monday: Felt really sad today so only revised circular motion and gravitional fields in physics.

Little summary of my progress from November when I started till now, two months till the start of my exams.
Maths: I have finihed the syllabus for both the pure maths module and the statistics mmodule for maths so now I am in the revision stage. Currently I am going over some concepts I am finding tricky and answering past papers with the help of my textbooks. Hopefully this week I can finally start doing timed papers.
Further Maths: I have finsihed the pure maths module of this and now on the second chapter of the mechanics and statistics module. Whilst I am learning the content for this module I am still going back and revising concepts that I don't really understand. I will start practsing papers for the pure maths module from next week hopefully. Also hoping to be done with the mech and stats module by the end of this month so I cam get into the revision stage properly in April.
Physics: I am done with the physics syllabus also. Pretty uch the same stage as maths tbh. Working on topics I don't understand too well and hopefully will start actually doing timed papers this week. Also with physics I am trying to revisit all the topics in the syllabus weekly in little 30 minute sessons per topic so that my mind is constantly refeshed and all the information sticks in my brain. I find with subjects like the sciences you've got to revisit the content reglarly to keep it in your mind so it becomes a part of you.

Life Update

On Thursday something went wrong with me mentally. I don't know what happened. I guess I lost sight of reality for the day. It was weird. I felt detached. I didn't feel connected to anything. Something, I'm not sure what, was telling me I was making everything up. My illness. Everything. That it wasn't real and I didn't need any medication or any psychiatrists. I don't know if it was the voices from last year. I'm not sure. I didn't hear from them again after that. I was confused. I still am. I tried working but I couldn't focus on anything.
I feel so discouraged about my blog as well. Like I'm work as hard as I can on it given my unstable mind but it feels like it's not as good as it should be. I am grateful for the few loyal people that read every post and support me but I can't shake this feeling of wanting to give up.
I know I shouldn't. The rational side of me knows I should carry on and do this for myself more than anyone else. It's not about winning a prize or being in the top five blogs of the month. It's about me being mentally ill but still trying to get the my end goal despite the challenges placed in front of me. I may not have a goal of getting all A*s nor am I aiming for Oxbridge or whatever. But I have to remind myself that this blog is for me. I want to be able to look back on this and know that I did this despite everything. That is what is most important.
Kind of a word salad but just needed this off my chest.
Also I told my mother about the ucl offer but then also made her know that it's unlikely I'm gonna firm it bc of the cost and that didn't go well. Fortunately I am used to her emotional manipulation and controlling tactics so I'm going to stand my ground with this and if she threatens not to fund my degree then so be it. I figured it's about time i stood up for myself and stop trying to live up to this whole 'bringing honour to the family' crap.

It's been kinda rough these past few days. Not sure if I should be hopeful that things will improve. It's mentally exhausting but I just have to keep trudging through and remember why I am doing this in the first place.

Week Eight

Blog post 15
10/03/2017

Dealing With Failure

Hey Guys
Today's post is all about dealing with failure and how I've dealt with failing. Obviously failure with relation to grades is a relative term and is different for everyone. Some people might consider getting a B failure so it just depends on you and the standards you've set for yourself. The gutted feeling you get is still the same though. Whether it's a B grade or a U grade.
I have talked about my failed first attempt at AS before on this blog and about how I felt that it was the end of the world and I'd never get into a good university or that I've completely humiliated myself and will never live it down which brings me to my first piece of advice. Be realistic. Okay so you've opened your results envelope and you see grades that are totally unexpectedly bad and you feel like the world is crumbling before your very eyes. Stop. Calm down. It's not the end of the world. I know that's such a common thing to say but it is really important that you stop for a moment and realise that whilst you feel terrible, the earth hasn't stopped rotating and your life isn't completely over. Consider the worst case scenario. At worst you will probably have to re sit some exams or go through clearing or re apply again the next year (this is if you're doing A levels).
Once you've realised this, it's the next stage. The sadness. Yes you're 100% allowed to be sad and depressed and disappointed about your results but what is not good is to remain in that mindset. It's best to just go home, cry it out, watch a movie or a tv show you like that'll cheer you up, drown your sorrows in ice cream and just do what ever it is that'll cheer you up for the moment. It's important to realise you have to pick yourself up and keep moving forward and resolve to work harder next time. You can't remain in a mindset where you're blaming yourself or constantly putting yourself down. It won't help you better your grades and what has happened has happened. Easier said than done I know but it's still true. If it's a situation where you worked so hard but still didn't do well, stop and think. Are the subjects you're doing really for you? We're your teachers really any good? Analyse your old revision method. Probably something you were doing wasn't working for you. There's always a reason why it didn't go well and yourself should be the last person you blame if you worked hard and didn't succeed.
I can't stress enough how you shouldn't beat yourself up about bad grades. It is behind you . All you can do is try to figure out the next steps to take, what possibly went wrong and resolve that you'll work harder the next time. Also don't listen to outside influences like parents or friends or teachers putting you down about your grades. It's not their life it's yours.

Study Update

Days since last update:

Tuesday: Didn't get any work done today sadly and didn't have any classes today with my tutors.
Wednesday: Managed to revise nuclear physics properly. I understand the topic better now also I did a physics theory past paper* which my teacher marked and I got 75/100 which is good for the first paper I've done mostly without the help of a textbook. I decided I'm going to wean myself off using textbooks when I'm doing these because I tried going off it completely but it didn't I got panicky in the middle because there were some concepts I was struggling to remember so I eventually reached for my book. I'm still going to consider this progress though. My maths tutor came today and we went over circular motion once again to make sure I understood all the concepts properly. I like doing this at the end of chapters because it helps give me confidence with what I've learned and if I still have problems afterwards I'll just revise it again or ask for help.
Thurday: Didn't do as much as I wanted today. Managed to revise polynomials and the modulus function in maths because I wanted to remind myself of some concepts that seem to slip my mind too easily.

*I did the Summer 2010 paper 41 but I've marked it as an open book paper in the past paper plan because I don't know if I should put in my real score or not since I had a bit of help from my book. What should I do?

Updated Past Paper Plan

Life Update

Ugh. The past four weeks have been a flop. A complete flop. I haven't had my **** together at all and it all cumulated in an unexpected suicide attempt on Thursday which I was talked out of fortunately. I still feel incredibly depressed. I haven't had it this severe since last year. It's debilitating. I still can't believe how it got so bad and I didn't even notice. I'm supposed to be paying attention to my moods so I don't get caught by surprise by things like this but I failed that. I could've done better. I could've at least avoided it getting to that stage. I'm grateful for the person in my life that stopped me. I feel bad though. I feel bad that I put people I love through this and it makes me sick a little that people have to deal with me.
I don't know how I'll manage the next few weeks but I'll have to try. It's getting really really hard now but like I said in my last post I'm not going to quit this (believe me I really want to).

Seven weeks till my exams :afraid:
Also I've banned myself from checking my emails for at least three days because I noticed it's become an unhealthy and obsessive habit of mine. I check it and when I don't see any ucas updates I feel really sad and discouraged and I don't need that negativity right now.

Alsooo I've finally decided on the Nigerian uni I'll apply to in case things go south with my family and I can't come to the uk for uni. I don't think I have really mentioned it properly on this blog (I probably have tbh) but I'm having trouble with my mother and her being controlling about my ucas application and threatening not to fund me and crap. Won't go into details but my current back up plan is that if things continue to go south then I'll just defer entry till 2018, go to a Nigerian uni for a year (don't want to be at home ) and get a job. It'll also give enough time for a trusted family member of mine to raise enough money to help me out so I don't have to rely on my mother at all. This is all just a back up plan though and we'll see how it goes. It gives me anxiety but I have to be level headed about this and stand my ground and I have support from two loved ones so it's okay.

Wow bit of a long post today but meh :smile:
Also forgive any typos bc I'm too lazy atm to proofread.
Really love this blog with how honest you are and how much advice you are able to give! This is the only 'Grow your grades' blog I follow because of that honesty and how lovely you seem :smile: also, I really hope your starting to feel a little better after your depressive episode :erm:
Original post by 10cking
Really love this blog with how honest you are and how much advice you are able to give! This is the only 'Grow your grades' blog I follow because of that honesty and how lovely you seem :smile: also, I really hope your starting to feel a little better after your depressive episode :erm:

Thank you so so much. :hugs:
This means so much to me :smile:
I am no longer in any personal danger and I'm recovering. Still feel quite numb but I'll be fine I hope :smile:
This blog is so great! So motivating as well :h: You're such an inspirational person and I genuinely hope you do well in your exams this summer & life in general :smile:
Original post by alldaydreaming
This blog is so great! So motivating as well :h: You're such an inspirational person and I genuinely hope you do well in your exams this summer & life in general :smile:

Thank you! :hugs:
I'm really glad you find it inspiring that means a lot :smile:

Week Eight

Blog post 16
14/03/2017

Time Management is Key

Hey guys!

Today's post as you can see from the title is about time management, something I'm notoriously bad at. Well I bet you're wondering how exactly I can have advice on time management if I'm bad at it. Welllll I have learned things about how to manage my time properly over the past few months and just because I don't always practise what I preach doesn't mean I can't share it with you. Also these posts act as a way of encouraging me to actually put these tips in practice more often because I know that when I do use them it has brilliant results for me.

Plan your day the day before: I only plan whole days. I try not to plan weeks or months because that doesn't go well with me because if I don't accomplish everything in the day I'm meant to then I get really thrown off and the whole week/month is thrown off for me. I find planning out a day is best because if I don't get something done on that day I can easily move it to the next day and it doesn't affect anything or throw me off balance because I haven't planned the next day yet.

Prioritise: Prioritising your tasks is really important because it means you spend more time on the most important tasks and get them done first. It's an important thing to do because it means that if for any reason you couldn't get all your tasks for the day done then the most important tasks would've most definitely been done at least. You can prioritise by highlighting the tasks that you think are most important in what ever you plan your tasks in (planner, bullet journal, planner app etc)

Figure out your most productive time: Everyone is different so everyone has different times when they're most productive. For me it's during the day time (about midday). I really can't get work done at night nor can I work properly early in the morning so tend to schedule most of my work around midday so I can accomplish more since I'm most productive at this time.

Multitask: It's really helpful to multitask certain things. For example reading a book or doing the stuff you usually do to procrastinate on the bus/train/whatever mode of transport you use to get to school/anywhere tbh or during a lunch break or something. It'll mean you're less likely to do that stuff during times that'd be much better used for studying and it allows you to be super productive for not just school related stuff but everything in your life. Utilising your free time properly is key.

Hope this helps :smile:

Study Update

Days since last update:

Friday: Recovering from suicide attempt the day before so mostly spent the day practising self care (i.e. Drowning my sorrows in digestives and watching old Mickey Mouse cartoons). Also I analysed my plan for further maths and maths and decided to revise it because I don't think it'll work very well for me. I don't want to rush into full past papers with a slightly disjointed knowledge of the syllabus so I'm going to take the next two weeks to go over all the chapters for all the modules to make sure I really really understand everything. Will also be practising chapter specific past questions. I've decided that these two need priority over physics.
Saturday: In the morning I hurriedly did my fmaths assignment because I forgot to do it :emo: and was able to finish it before the maths tutor got here. He marked my work and went over the bits I didn't understand and then we moved on to topic three of the mech and stats fmaths module. He just gave an overview of it really. Next I did a Physics paper 4 (theory) and a Paper 5 (practical). I had started out both without help but I got panicky (this always happens ugh). I don't know why but it's always a question to do with medical imaging. I can never remember the concepts properly. Especially CT scanning, MRI and X-ray scanning. I don't really have a problem with ultrasound but I really really need to go back and revise those ones because I want to stop getting help from my book. When he marked it I got 85/100 in paper four and 23/30 in paper 5 both of which are an A* according to the grade threshold for that year. Butttt I still need more practice and I'm not going to log these scores into my past paper plan either tbh. I'm a bit of a perfectionist smh :cry:
Sunday: Didn't do much as Sunday is meant to be my rest day but I did some planning and made a to do list of all the stuff I wanted to achieve on Monday on google keep (realllyyy good app guys. I recommend it. It's a note taking app but x100)

Life Update

I am recovering from my 'episode' on Thursday. I've been distracting myself from all dangerous thoughts and just trying to focus on my school work. I've been feeling a lot of anxiety about the things I can't control this year and I know I'm not supposed to feel anxious about the things I can't control but it's so hard not to :emo: Sigh I can't wait for 2018 lol. 2017 is just stress. I guess it's because it's a year of change and 70% of the change that's going to take place is out of my control so I'm just really anxious about the year as a whole. It's really surprising how it's March already lol. Exams are looming :afraid:
Also feel quite miffed that I haven't heard back from soton and lboro. Might email as it's been two months and I just want to get this over with.

Sorry I haven't put up pictures/videos in recent posts. I keep forgetting to take them but hopefully that'll improve.

Updating from my phone so pardon any spelling errors :colondollar:

Week Nine

Blog post 17
17/03/2017

The Art of Self Discipline

Hey guys!

Today's post is going to be about self discipline. Wow I really like giving advice on stuff I haven't mastered yet :emo: Oh well. These are some things I've learned about increasing my own self discipline and I hope it helps whoever is reading :smile:

Get rid of all temptations: It is very tempting to check TSR, twitter and snapchat whilst I'm studying so a way of helping myself is logging out of my accounts and hiding the apps (on an iPhone you can do this by creating one of those app box thingies, filling it with a bunch of apps (nine) and then putting your tempting apps in it as well because it'll only display the first nine apps in that group so the offending apps are out of sight). I also put my phone on do not disturb mode (another iPhone thing and I think if you're on an android you can use the silent option) so I don't get distracted by shiny new notifications. In extreme cases of TSR addiction that's keeping you from studying you can block the website on your browser and chrome has got loads of site blocker extensions to choose from.

Stop making excuses: I am always looking for an excuse to get out of studying. This is a bad habit and needs to stop. I keep going 'oh I'll wait for the right moment when my brain is completely ready and motivated'. Nope. Don't make excuses. Start the work you're meant to start and try to finish it efficiently then you can get back to what it was you were doing. In a way, make studying an excuse for not doing other things. Like 'okay I will argue with these TSR trolls once Im done revising with maths'. That'll change your mentality about it.

Make up your own deadline: By establishing your own deadline, you set yourself a time frame to finish something in. This pushes you to actually do the work in that amount of time you've set for yourself.

Have good time management skills: When you manage your time properly you'll be more self disciplined. Refer to my post on time management to see how to work on that :smile:

Study Update

Days since last update:

Monday: Didn't have any classes. I revised the first three topics of physics (circular motion, gravitational fields, ideal gases). My knowledge of these topics is pretty solid since I'm always revisiting them but I need to switch my focus towards medical imaging and electric fields since I'm weaker there. I also I also revised and did textbook questions on polynomials.

Tuesday: Didn't have classes either. I revised and answered questions on the modulus function and it's pretty easy to me now. Tried revising my problem areas of physics later on in the day but it just wasn't sticking in my head.

Wednesday: Maths tutor came in the morning and we did some more mechanics. Felt so tired and demotivated at first but I watched a really motivational video on YouTube which gave me the kick up the bum I needed. I was able to tick off almost all my tasks for the day except one (revise and answer questions on the first topic of the further pure maths module) and I've rescheduled it to Sunday. I was able to answer a physics paper 4 and I did it with minimal help from my textbook (!). Really pleased with myself for being able to answer most of it without help and only used the text for one or two odd formulas I needed to remind myself of. I also revised and did questions on trigonometry and logarithms in the evening but I'm learning that I really can't do work properly after 7pm because I couldn't get any of the answers on the first go so I'm going to have to re work my schedule so I avoid doing work from 7pm onwards. Or I could train myself to become a night owl 🤔.
File_000.jpeg

Life Update

That video I watched made me realise something. I really can't blame my disorder any more for my failures. It's just something I've resorted to blaming and I can't keep doing that. I have to take the blame now. Yes my disorder does affect me greatly especially as I'm unmedicated but I really need to start understanding that I can't blame everything on it. Reality has set in. I've got six weeks to my exams and I really need to work hard now bc if I don't get the grades then neither my first plan or my back up will work because they both depend on me getting the grades to meet my firm offer. I know my goal for this year is to get to England but I can't base my hard work on that or else if circumstances mean I can't come then it's gonna drive me into a deep depression that I feel is avoidable. I need to work hard to get good grades. That should be the goal. Nothing else has happened really. I'm confused about reaching out to Loughborough and Southampton about my application but I think I might wait a bit longer and see. I'm a bit behind on blog posts :colondollar:
This post was supposed to be up yesterday but hopefully I'll be back on track and update on Sunday as scheduled. It's funny how my original posting schedule has been thrown out the window :lol:

The Motivational Video

Updating from my phone so pardon any spelling errors :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending