The Student Room Group

My Final and Dire Attempt to Grow My Grades (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlayingALevels
I'm doing the AQA exam board for English Literature! I just had a mock and my hand is seriously broken! :frown:

I feel for you :redface: hope it gets better! And AQA too *sighs
What can we do but to get on with it. Please keep me updated with your progress and I will keep you updated with mine via the blog. I'd love for us to keep motivating each other and everyone!!

:ditto: :yes:
Original post by nisha.sri
Good luck ! Will be deffo watching your blog :smile: Please feel free to take a look at mine https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4228678&page=18

It looks well laid out Nisha, I wish you all the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ask-questions
What can we do but to get on with it. Please keep me updated with your progress and I will keep you updated with mine via the blog. I'd love for us to keep motivating each other and everyone!!

Definitely! How are you revising for literature?
Original post by SlayingALevels
Definitely! How are you revising for literature?

Well, I do English Language and Literature (combined).
I don't have a specific way of revising. I however make chapter summaries, character profiles, mind maps for themes and also summaries for the poems I'm studying. Hopefully during the Christmas holidays I'll make a detailed post entailing how I revise for each subject and what's working and what's not.

So stay tuned! :wink:
Hey! I will keep an eye on your blog too, check mine if you can :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Update 3

Review:
This week hasn't been as productive as I've wanted it to be though I met my targets for the week.
School's Christmas events got in the way (compulsory Christmas production, Talent Show and Secret Santa)
They were fun but I wanted to be ahead of my deadlines and targets.
Anyway, I'm on Christmas Break now! I legit can't wait for Christmas :h: !
But I still got some work to do

:cracker: :cracker: :cracker:
Study Plans & Revision for the Christmas Holidays:
Drama
Finish 1st Draft of Coursework -devised piece (3000 words)
-Make 'role on the wall'/s for characters to aid in coursework
Be halfway through the analysis of the script - Faustus

English
Complete a 2nd draft of English Coursework
Make Main Characters profiles for Great Gatsby & Street Car Named Desire
Revise language features

Psychology
Make essay plans for each topic in Schizophrenia & Aggression
Revise AS topics
-mainly Attachment
- Do Practice Questions (from Past paper and Specimen) for Paper 1

Other:
to do a detailed post on STR about revision; what works for me and what doesn't hopefully, before the new year :smile:

Last words:
I have roughly, a two weeks holiday period.
I'm not sure whether I'll be able to complete all the set tasks before school re-opens but, I know I can, if I stress myself out :coffee::embarrassed:
My plan, however, is to also stick to my School timetable and do my allocated work where I would normally have a lesson.

Anyone else on Christmas Break?
If so, what are your plans? If not, when is it? and what do you plan to do?

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Hope you have a good one:holly::hugs: !

Predicted A-Levels
English Language & Literature | B
Drama & Theatre Studies | B
Psychology | B

Exam Timetable

University Offers
University of York (Psychology in Education) | Conditional Offer

Edge Hill University (Educational Psychology) | Conditional Offer

RCSSD (Drama, Applied Theatre & Education) | Conditional Offer

Roehampton University (Psychology & Counselling) | Conditional Offer

University of Derby (Creative Therapies, Drama) | Conditional Offer
-
University of York (ABB) | Firm
Royal Central School of Speech and Drama (BBB) | Insurance

GCSEs grades

breakdown

Additional Science | C
Drama & Theatre Arts | A*
English Language | B
English Literature | C
French | C
History| B
Mathematics | C
Physical Education | B
Religious Studies | A
Science | C
(edited 7 years ago)

A-Q's Revision

Hi, everyone!
Here's how I plan to revise in order to rejuvenate my grades.
I'm open to any criticism and advice :smile:

Psychology

Essay plans & Mind maps
In my own time, I create mind maps of each page of my psychology text book in particular AO1. Then I create a PEEL table for 4-5 AO3 evaluation points. I turn these into draft essay plans and condense them into flash/record cards that I can look over anytime. Essay plans that I'm not certain about or find difficult, I'm going to turn them into actual essays for my teacher to mark. If I get good marks from the essays, I'll turn them back into essay plans.
Here's my current mind map.

To memorise my essay plans, I plan to record myself reciting them, then listen and practise orally and written, my essays (I'm a Drama student, this helps).

English Language & Literature

TBC

Drama & Theatre Studies

TBC

General

Practice Questions, Past papers & Specimen Papers
No-brainier. I'm going to be doing them under time conditions and also self-mark and then give it to a teacher to review it.

I also use the Pomodoro technique for coursework as they can be a bit tedious. The Pomodoro technique is, for example, working for 20 mins and having a 5 minutes break each time until you reach an hour of working, where you can reward yourself with a 15 minutes break, or continue the cycle.

Thank you
&
Happy New Year

(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all,
It's been almost a month since I did a Review so here's a quick one.

Update 4

Review:
I have my results from my mocks. I got CDD. I'll go into more detail in a later post but I do think it's a start and a dip. I've kinda gotten over the anxiety and it's just about getting things done now. It's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to continue my weekly posts though time management is also a major flaw for me.
I'm mid way through my 3rd draft of Drama Coursework
And I'm on my 2nd draft of English Coursework...still

Plans for this week:
Organise everything school related; timetable, notes, bag, folders, etc.
I have an upcoming interview for Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. It's on Wednesday. It's a group interview which is different. I'm looking forward to it, though :smile:.
Also, I'm really trying to get coursework out of the way. I have my February mocks coming up and I don't want to mess those up! So, the more time I have free, the more time I have to revise.

That's all for now until my next post.
Hi all,
It's been almost a month since I did a Review so here's a quick one.

Update 4

Review:
I have my results from my mocks. I got CDD. I'll go into more detail in a later post but I do think it's a start and a dip. I've kinda gotten over the anxiety and it's just about getting things done now. It's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to continue my weekly posts though time management is also a major flaw for me.
I'm mid way through my 3rd draft of Drama Coursework
And I'm on my 2nd draft of English Coursework...still

Plans for this week:
Organise everything school related; timetable, notes, bag, folders, etc.
I have an upcoming interview for Royal Central School of Speech and Drama. It's on Wednesday. It's a group interview which is different. I'm looking forward to it, though :smile:.
Also, I'm really trying to get coursework out of the way. I have my February mocks coming up and I don't want to mess those up! So, the more time I have free, the more time I have to revise.

That's all for now until my next post.

Good luck with the interview! :smile:

Update 5

Review
I'm back.
Here's something I should have explained in the beginning. I'm a full time student but I go to another school part-time to study English Language and Literature (A-Level) and I was also there during my AS year studying English Language and Literature and Dance. So things were a bit hectic during my AS year and it did take a lot of time for me to get used to attending two different schools because the people , students and teachers alike, in my part-time school are almost completely different to those at the school I'm officially enrolled at.
That aside, I'm coping :smile:.

January
I got my results back for the EPQ that I did last year. I got a C which I'm content about considering I did almost everything last minute.
During this time, I was also offered a conditional offer at Edge Hill University and I had my Group interview at RCSSD for their DATE course.

February
I had my interview and audition for Derby University to study Creative Therapies, and I successfully got an offer :smile:. I was also successful and got an Offer from RCSSD to study their DATE course - I was so excited and jumpy like eeeeepppp! It's one of the hardest drama schools/Unis to get into. Thank you so much @Shaaayxp for the well wishes and @saish1998 for the advice! It really paid off :cute:YEAH!
I also had my mocks, it was alright, I wasn't panicked or anything so *thumps up.

March
Mock results: Psychology C3, Drama C1 (3 being the lowest of a particular grade and 1, the highest).
Just completed my English Language and Literature mocks at my part-time school -let's call it St. Peters- and will get my results after the Easter holidays. Despite the fact that I've been a solid D in past practise papers :/, I did put a bit more effort in my revision this time but my time management has still been poor so I'll just hope for a C minimum - I feel like that's still pushing it though :laugh: ...
However, there's been a gradual progress in my studies. I took my Psychology and Drama February mock exams at the school I'm officially enrolled at- let's call it St. Johns- and for psychology, at the start of the school year I got an E, then it moved to D3, then D2 and now C3. And also, just yesterday I got my first ever 15/16 in those pesky 16 marks essays in psychology. *so there is hope :smile:. Drama was alright too as it was my first time sitting the written exam.

Plans for the Easter Holidays
Revision, like it's serious now. Just 8 weeks until the start of my exams (and the majority of A level students).
For Psychology, I'll be focusing on reviewing my AS notes and adapting essays from 12 to 16 marks. I'll also be revising research methods, creating flash cards and testing myself on it because annoyingly enough that's where the majority of the marks come from. Research methods is embedded in all topics and has its own stand off topic. *sighs* I can do this!!:yep: (self motivation)
For English, I'll focus on writing essays and practising practise questions under timed conditions
and for Drama, I'll be organising my notes and practising past papers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Update 5

Review
I'm back.
Here's something I should have explained in the beginning. I'm a full time student but I go to another school part-time to study English Language and Literature (A-Level) and I was also there during my AS year studying English Language and Literature and Dance. So things were a bit hectic during my AS year and it did take a lot of time for me to get used to attending two different schools because the people , students and teachers alike, in my part-time school are almost completely different to those at the school I'm officially enrolled at.
That aside, I'm coping :smile:.

January
I got my results back for the EPQ that I did last year. I got a C which I'm content about considering I did almost everything last minute.
During this time, I was also offered a conditional offer at Edge Hill University and I had my Group interview at RCSSD for their DATE course.

February
I had my interview and audition for Derby University to study Creative Therapies, and I successfully got an offer :smile:. I was also successful and got an Offer from RCSSD to study their DATE course - I was so excited and jumpy like eeeeepppp! It's one of the hardest drama schools/Unis to get into. Thank you so much @Shaaayxp for the well wishes and @saish1998 for the advice! It really paid off :cute:YEAH!
I also had my mocks, it was alright, I wasn't panicked or anything so *thumps up.

March
Mock results: Psychology C3, Drama C1 (3 being the lowest of a particular grade and 1, the highest).
Just completed my English Language and Literature mocks at my part-time school -let's call it St. Peters- and will get my results after the Easter holidays. Despite the fact that I've been a solid D in past practise papers :/, I did put a bit more effort in my revision this time but my time management has still been poor so I'll just hope for a C minimum - I feel like that's still pushing it though :laugh: ...
However, there's been a gradual progress in my studies. I took my Psychology and Drama February mock exams at the school I'm officially enrolled at- let's call it St. Johns- and for psychology, at the start of the school year I got an E, then it moved to D3, then D2 and now C3. And also, just yesterday I got my first ever 15/16 in those pesky 16 marks essays in psychology. *so there is hope :smile:. Drama was alright too as it was my first time sitting the written exam.

Plans for the Easter Holidays
Revision, like it's serious now. Just 8 weeks until the start of my exams (and the majority of A level students).
For Psychology, I'll be focusing on reviewing my AS notes and adapting essays from 12 to 16 marks. I'll also be revising research methods, creating flash cards and testing myself on it because annoyingly enough that's where the majority of the marks come from. Research methods is embedded in all topics and has its own stand off topic. *sighs* I can do this!!:yep: (self motivation)
For English, I'll focus on writing essays and practising practise questions under timed conditions
and for Drama, I'll be organising my notes and practising past papers.

:woo: Congrats on your offers! Looks like things are going well for you :biggrin: Also I was wondering what you did to manage to get 15/16 in your essay :eek:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shaaayxp
:woo: Congrats on your offers! Looks like things are going well for you :biggrin: Also I was wondering what you did to manage to get 15/16 in your essay :eek:

Yes they are by God's grace :h: and Tutor2u - my teacher recommended them for revision. They hold webinars and they are also on YouTube.
I had done a draft essay before the lesson where I was taught Holism versus Reductionism and I added notes from the lesson to the essay. Then for revision I edited my essay with the help of the video and applied the debate to one topic for example OCD. The video helped me to understand the debate even more and also the structuring of my essay ie introducing the debate first, saying why the debate exist in the first place, before going into the nitty gritty of what Holism and Reductionism is etc.

Hope that helps x
How's everything going at your ends with psychology?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh okay! I guess I will be checking out Tutor2u then :biggrin:

Psychology is alright- I just need to continue with my notes... We haven't completely finished our last topic though :colonhash: I haven't done many essays this year and I am kinda worried about writing in timed conditions- plus I still am not sure how many evaluations to include!
Original post by Shaaayxp
Oh okay! I guess I will be checking out Tutor2u then :biggrin:

Psychology is alright- I just need to continue with my notes... We haven't completely finished our last topic though :colonhash: I haven't done many essays this year and I am kinda worried about writing in timed conditions- plus I still am not sure how many evaluations to include!

Yeah, time conditions is a worry of mine too but hopefully with continuous practise of writing under timed conditions we will get there.
In regards to evaluations points *sighs
My teacher's recommended 5 developed evaluation points but you can go more or less - I think- for example in the Holism-reductionism essay I had 4 evaluation points but the fourth one (the interactionist approach) was more like a conclusion and wasn't really developed. So I had in total 3 developed evaluation points following the PEELE structure.
Gosh, just talking about evaluation points is actually tiring :sigh:

What's your last topic? I hope there's not much for you to go through

Update 6

Review
Hey ya,
Hope all is well and everyone had a good Easter break. I was looking at my calendar today and got slightly panicked, only a month until my exams and some of my colleagues are left with only 2 more weeks until the start of their exams. So slowly things have been heightening up and the study room in St Johns is getting crowded. Posters about stress management are plastered all about too! *sighs. We can sense it in the air.
If anything, I'm doing my best not to get overwhelmed despite still having a lot of prep work to do.

Review of Easter Holiday revision
I revised. No, seriously this was a major achievement for me. I had set a timetable for myself and had started to get down to work when suddenly I'd realise that it's - I dunno, 10am and I’m meant to be studying content analysis or that it's 12pm and I still haven't finished my essay on Serena Joy and so on and so forth. This got me so annoyed because I'd never finish my work and at the end of the day I'd be left with even more work to do because everything I started to do was left unfinished. I ended up throwing everything aside and went into my little corner, to watch YouTube videos.
Lo and behold, I came across Ana Mascara, a youtuber and her advice stuck with me. I ended making to do lists and I'd focus on getting sufficient revision done and producing at least good enough essays rather than getting bugged -at least for now- by how much time I was spending on a piece of work that should have only take 20 minutes. So, at the end I revised instead of jumping from one topic to another, aimlessly.

Plans for the upcoming month (May)
Get all my prep work done especially for Drama as for me it’s mostly time consuming. From then on, I will be reviewing my work; practicing past papers under timed conditions.
Yeah.
Short, simple and sweet.

Good night and until next time
(edited 6 years ago)
Good luck. 1 month left before my mocks and I didnt revise anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
Good luck. 1 month left before my mocks and I didnt revise anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects are you studying and well at least you've still got a month that's still a lot time to revise if you ask me :smile:
What subjects are you studying and well at least you've still got a month that's still a lot time to revise if you ask me :smile:

Maths,Economics,Accounts,French,General Paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending