The Student Room Group

Mental Health in Today's Society- Best Blog Yet!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MBash
Important Links:

Email:
[email protected]

Post on TSR: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4737148

Shine Bright WEBSITE:
mental-health-blog-and-forum.site123.me

Not sure if it is possible with your site, looks like it might be a free host, but if you can have you considered something like "support@yourdomainname".

I always think it looks more professional if you have an email address at your domain name rather than at hotmail or another free provider. Just a suggestion.

Of course if it is a free provider than you probably can't have an email address at your domain.
Reply 21
Original post by AysheaS
Not sure if it is possible with your site, looks like it might be a free host, but if you can have you considered something like "support@yourdomainname".

I always think it looks more professional if you have an email address at your domain name rather than at hotmail or another free provider. Just a suggestion.

Of course if it is a free provider than you probably can't have an email address at your domain.

Hey, thanks for your feedback much appreciated! :smile: I think you've made a valid point as I didn't think of that. I will look around on the Internet to find a site where I can create an email with my own domain as I agree that would look professional.
Reply 22
Date: 25/05/2017 Time: 16.30pm
Update time!

I strongly believe when developing a website there are certain do's and don'ts that need to be taken into mind. I wanted to incorporate this into my blog as this is an important aspect everyone need to consider when developing and running a site. Today I will talk about what to consider when creating a website. I have narrowed this down to the following:

1. Creating a clear, thorough business plan
look to answer questions like:

- what is your niche and who are your target audience?
- what is your USP to your competitors?
- what solutions does your website offer to consumer issues? And what does your website online presence consist of?

Although you have created the website, how do you ensure you attract traffic to your website, to do this you need to consider:

2. Your marketing strategy

- consider ecommerce analytics like google analytics- (Site123 does offer this however I will focus on marketing strategies and attracting traffic once the basic outline of the website is completed.)
- what will you focus on SEO or PPC?
- how does social media hold a significance in boosting traffic to your website?

3. Your target audience

- Is the design of your website appropriate for your target audience?
- how can your site engage with the audience to provide the best, possible experience?

These are the most important things to consider in my opinion when constructing a successful website. Thanks for reading!

Remember guys stay happy, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best!
~MBash~ 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Date: 25/05/2017 Time: 17.20PM
In my next blog, I will discuss the don'ts not to do when creating a website. From personal choices and sources I have collated I was able to come up with a plan to creating a successful site, so I plan to share this with you for the next few blogs. Enjoy!

What do you think are the most important factors to consider when setting up a website? Do you dispute there are other more superior factors to consider than the ones I've listed?

Let me know by replying to this post!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
You may have noticed I have added the date and the time to each blog I create throughout the day. I will begin to do this for all my blogs from today onwards.

This provides a more organised approach for others to see whilst also providing insight to myself to see the consistency of my blogging and enable improvements if my blogging every day falls behind.
Reply 25
Original post by MBash
Hey, thanks for your feedback much appreciated! :smile: I think you've made a valid point as I didn't think of that. I will look around on the Internet to find a site where I can create an email with my own domain as I agree that would look professional.

If it's not part of the free package then you are will likely need to pay for hosting. All paid for hosting packages will allow you to have an email address at your domain name.

You may be able to upgrade with your current host or you may need to switch to another host. Downside to switching to another host is that it's unlikely that you will be able to take you current site with you as it was built using their free tools. You would need to build it again either using the free tools of your next host or build it yourself. Upgrading with your current host, should you want to, will probably be the easiest option in the short term.
Reply 26
Original post by AysheaS
If it's not part of the free package then you are will likely need to pay for hosting. All paid for hosting packages will allow you to have an email address at your domain name.

You may be able to upgrade with your current host or you may need to switch to another host. Downside to switching to another host is that it's unlikely that you will be able to take you current site with you as it was built using their free tools. You would need to build it again either using the free tools of your next host or build it yourself. Upgrading with your current host, should you want to, will probably be the easiest option in the short term.

Hi yes, I did message them regarding this earlier, I do think unique email and also a website domain is included in the package but I'm just waiting on their response.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Date: 26/05/2017 Time: 17.59PM
Update Time!

Title: What problem have I faced? Well stay connected and I will be sure to let you know now!

So I got a reply from the site about upgrading my website which I posted earlier which would enable me to get access to my own domain for website and for my email rather than @hotmail or www.shinebright.site123

They stated their upgrade will include the free domain for the website link only. If I take an upgrade I would need to pay monthly/ per annum rather than a one-off charge for upgrading.

Nonetheless, upgrading the site is beneficial as this give me access to a number of features like unlimited and pick and match colour scheming, removal of site123 floating banner, removing site123 footer banner, access to action button features and more!

The plan starts at $14 (£10.94) per month or $114 (£91.90) per annum. This is the basic plan. However the mailing aspect of this is separate and needs to be bought separately per year.

This is where the problem is. As a A level student at this time I cannot afford paying a high charge per year as at this stage this simply is not feasible. In the sites defence, they do provide a high quality website service, excellent features and it's easy to navigate through the page! So I am in a dilemma as do I make another site despite the hard effort I've already put in or do I continue to use this as although proffesionalism is key, but just as I've mentioned before this is not a business but a support service to help people. Although, this been said being a unique site without any company name is more appealing rather than a 'free' site with company name implanted and weak web link which looks substandard and second-rated; so I am in a sticky situation now.

But I will update you with my decision on the site.

(Little Side-note): Beautiful weather guys! Enjoy!

Remember guys stay happy, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best!
~MBash~ 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 28
Date: 27/05/2017 Time: 18.20PM Update Time!

Title: Decision on problem I have faced in my site.

From my previous blog, you may understand I was in two minds of whether I should update my current version on my site or move over to another site. I have decided to use the current site without updating. This is because 1. In my plan, I did specify a low budget which I still want to stick to and I will look for a cheaper option along the side to fulfil a unique domain and 2. Paying a monthly fee is extravagant as I can pay a one-off fee instead as I only require a domain for my site.

Apart from the miseries the site has faced, as promised I will talk about the don'ts aspect when building your ideal website which I have collated by secondary sources and my own knowledge.

Title: what should you NOT do when building your website?

1. Don't be the ultimate guru for everyone everywhere

- by this I mean don't accommodate for every type of visitor who visit your page. Build a target audience you wish to aim at and create the best experience for them.

2. Don't turn your website into a Wikipedia

- create a lively but proffesional website directed towards your audience and something that is easy to navigate through. It's not use for a website being loaded with information information information all on the home page. Split your website into clear pages- creating a more tidy and easy to navigate through site!

3. Don't spend all your money at once!

- you can get a well-designed site from a freelancer or professional agency instead rather than using a expensive site which charges you on a monthly basis. Keep some money for marketing which is useful to attract traffic, e.g business cards

3. Don't expect visitors

- Once you build your website, it may seem a more easier option to leave it as it is and expect your site to go viral! No, your wrong! Competition from larger, more advanced competitors will out compete your site. To attract traffic consider social media, regular uploads if you're doing blogs, open a YouTube channel and advertise yourself to your audience directly.

4. Don't expect your site will become the next biggest sensation on the Internet in a day

- Running a website will take months of work. You will learn more about your purpose and your website and how you can develop your site to entice viewers. Over time, a number of adjustments and the number of views per day will then begin to increase. So persevere and continue to persevere until you reach to the top people!

That's a lot of don'ts but hey I hope you enjoyed the update, I will see you on the next blog but until then Remember to stay happy, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best! ~MBash~ 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Date: 28/05/2017 Time: 18.00PM
Blog Time!

Title: There are Excellent resources online to help us grow our website! Read through:

Guys, I may not sound so formal in this blog, but I want to use this blog to SHOW you the amazing resources out here!
So today I came across some great resources as I was looking to identify what I could apply to make my website successful which can be applied to your website.

Resource #1: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kD4OaZ-4Xlk

Resource #2:
http://www.the-escape.co.uk/more/knowledge/top-ten-tips-for-a-successful-and-sustainable-web-presence

I did stumble across lots and I mean lots of resources; I have added this to my plan on what I need to consider when making my site!

Do make sure to check out those links and I will add to what I find. Today I dedicated my day to find out EXACTLY what is needed to make a successful site and how I can work my way around this. There are some great stuff out there and please do share onto this post by reply here if you've also find something great, I'll be sure to read it!

I do try to cover as much as I can in my blog as to what I have done and what I will do, I just hope it's informative enough if it is and you do find this interesting (I hope) but for now Remember to stay happy guys, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best! ~MBash~ 😊
Reply 30
Welcome guys I'm back! (Seriously I'm not obsessed with this blog, I'm just.. ok I'm obsessed with this blog lol!) but I just wanted to leave you with this motivation I also found on the hunt for my successful website:
The Man himself Muhammad Ali-

Attachment not found

You need to grind to shine! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Date: 29/05/2017 Time: 9.00PM
Blog Time!

Welcome back to another blog. Sit back and read on because you're in for a long one! Enjoy.

Sorry for a late post, the wifi has been down, so wasn't able to post earlier, therefore we got a late 9PM blog!

The post I initially put out on student room to recieve feedback on my website was not a success, as anticipated. There was no replies :frown:

But on the good side, I was able to get a feedback on the presentation of the site from cousins that I asked ( I know! Valuable info right?). To further my sample and to gain a wider representation I want to go to a local youth centre where I attend weekly. This was something I didn't think of until today ( I didn't initially think of this idea until one of my cousins pointed this out :wink: thanks whoever you are mate!) This was perfect, our youth centre is filled with young teenagers ranging from 13-18+. The youth centre is open Monday- Friday. I don't know if the centre was open today or not as its bank holiday, so I didn't go to the centre.

But in preparation to gain the feedback I want to go tomorrow, this time I will put questions on a card and present my website on the computers and gain the feedback. I did also recieve the feedback from my cousins. So today in preparation for tommorows visit I have made the cards and they're multi-coloured! Exciting stuff!!

I will take screenshots tommorow and show you. Can't wait. I hope you have enjoyed the blog this is all I have done today!

Remember to stay happy guys, stay blessed and keep grinding people of the universe because you are simply the best!
~MBash~ 😊
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 32
Date: 30/05/2017 Time: 2.00PM
Blog Update: Blog 1 of 2

Today I visited my local youth centre, majority of activities started at 12PM so I returned at 12PM. As it was half term there were lots of teenagers present engaged in various activities with the help of youth workers I was able to communicate with all of the teenagers. In total I received 18 replies. This is hugely valuable for my research. To continue on from today, I will now evaluate my research, I will collate all the primary data I collected and make a word document to clearly outline what people admired about the site and what needs to be improved. There was 8 public computers for teenagers to have a visual look at. The response included the presentation of the site, the colour scheme, name/logo, how the site addresses the point of mental health, improvements and any issues the site has. This took approx. 30-45 minutes to receive the hand outs back from the groups.

Using plugins, keywords and SEO is daunting to me as I don't know where to start, as I have not approached this before. I am more of a Biology/psychology student than a IT student. But I will begin to add these to my website very soon as it is equally important for my site to be recognised on search engines as well as the presentation of my site for my audience.

To aid this blog, I will put up another blog as a visual insight later on today of the great feedback I received. I am finding it difficult to juggle updating regularly everyday and my exams for A Level, but I will still continue to work and update this post by daily blogging throughout my journey.

Quote of the day: "The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle." - Steve Jobs
Reply 33
Date: 30/05/2017 Time: 8.00PM
Blog Update: Blog 2 of 2

So here are the attached screenshots of today's activities. Today went great, I've really enjoyed collecting todays feedback. Although I wasn't working on the website through our home computer directly, this enabled me to actively collect data instead of getting feedback online. A major plus point personally was I wasn't sitting in one point on a chair for hours rather I was directly interacting with teenagers and gaining their views and understanding individual needs. There was a few who were affected by anxiety and disorders, so using the opportunity I was able to maximise my feedback exactly from these focus individuals which I am targeting. I got positive feedback from the youth action and negative feedback. From the last post, I recounted the cards I got 17 replies instead of 18 which I've written, which is also good.

Images are attached: I decided to do a 2nd blog to show the progress of the website through visual insight.

Hope you've enjoyed this blog. It has been a really long day!

Quote of the day-
Quote of the day: "The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle." - Steve Jobs
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
image.jpg

Card overleaf, questions and answers:
Reply 35
Date: 31/05/2017 Time: 2.30PM

Blog Update: The Struggle Of My Computer is an issue I faced in constructing my website.
(Laptop Is being annoying as usual!)

Today I have been working on creating a word document using my laptop. As you may not know, I update my blogs each day on my phone. This is so much better and easier or sometimes I use my cousins laptop as we live nearby; its because the screen is more clearer as my laptop screen is smashed. But today I'm so frustrated as the wifi has been so slow on the computer per usual, I don't know why as its fine as I'm typing on my phone and my computer shut down and unfortunately word doc wasn't auto saved and it didn't save so I am so upset as I have now began to redo the whole day's work which I decided to initially sacrifice to work on my website rather than my exam revision. I don't know why I'm waffling on but I'm just wanted to update you, but I'm not going to let it get to me as I have been updating my blog every day and I'm going to continue (best thing to overcome it is by quotes, I love them), so my blog will be up with screenshots of my laptop with the word doc of the feedback shortly as I am almost done.

Quote of the day-
"The harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph"
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 36
Date: 31/05/2017 Time: 17.49PM
Blog update:

Hey guys, after reading the last blog over I feel like I'm talking to a agony aunt :smile: I do apologise, all of us know the struggle of losing unsaved work. On another note, I don't like to complain I'm happy to be living how I am, there are many people worse off so a broken screen is ok for me haha. Positivity is essential!

So today I finished off my summary of the feedback from yesterday's research, I know it may sound crazy now looking back at me going to a youth centre just to get a response for a competition, but can I just say I am enthusiastic and determined to become this legend but also the truth is that the centre was just across where I live, so it wasn't a long trip.

Evaluation
Yesterday's feedback was quite positive but constructing this word doc summary I have understood there are many issues with my site such as no helpline page and I will be addressing this as I move forward.
Colour- looking at the response I am happy we are in agreement as bright colours to create a lively page was what I was aiming at.
Taking this all in account, I will change some aspects of my page to suit the responses from yesterday's focus group.

Screenshots of the page is below, I know it's unclear because of the screen but my cousins will be over later anyway so I'll post a fresh more better version:

: image.jpg
Reply 37
Date: 01/06/2017 Time: 19.21PM
Blog update:

First of all, attached are the documents from yesterday of the review in its presentable version:

image.jpg

So an update of what is ticked off of the website:
Attachment not found

1. The presentation of the site- the initial plan set out a 'thorough research in the needs and demands of the current teenage audience and how can the website accommodate for this' has been met by sampling a group of teenagers to receive a representative response of what needs to be improved for the site.
2. The General overview of the site- for example the about section and contact.
3. Dos and Don'ts of the page has been considered thoroughly also as pointed from previous blogs

What needs to be done:
1. Marketing- SEO, Influences of social media, PPC
2. Recognition- Social media, keywords, search engines
3. Tracking- Google analytic systems

In the last couple of blog ago, I did point out the do and don'ts of creating a website, visit it if you haven't seen it yet. Once a website is created, marketing plays a huge impact on how you site will progress. I will be talking about marketing and the different methods in the next blog as there is a lot to talk about which I will deliver tommorow in our next daily blog. Using the advise I will then incorporate this into my website to market my website once blogs are up and running.

The future of this blogging?
I am working on creating a glossary booklet where I will clearly outline what I will be discussing in each blog by uploading a plan of what will be discussed each day in my blogs instead of stating 'tommorow I will talk about so and so..'. This will allow new viewers to be updated on what to expect and to narrow down which blog will benefit them the most by reading my experiences of my site and the advices I have as it may well be a person wants to read a blog on something specific. This way people know what to expect in future blogs and can decide to tune in when I upload!

Motivation of the day- "what ever you are, be a good one"- Abraham Lincoln
Reply 38
Date: 01/06/2017 Time: 8.10PM
Additional Blog update:

Ok, so to swiftly move on and upwards in running my website, it's time to talk about the blogging element of the website.

So this weeks TSR blog will be heavily focused on marketing and blogging. What I will be addressing, the importance to address this and the titles are all of which I begin to focus on from now on in these blogs. This is something I have been looking forward to; and the reason why I started to create this website on Mental Health will now become alive. So guys, stay tuned and watch this space because blogs are about to get interesting and exciting as I start to talk about something that I truly and dearly love. In the future TSR blog, I will discuss how my plan sets out to do the blogs and how everything will be done!

Quote of the day- "what ever you are, be a good one"- Abraham Lincoln
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MBash
Date: 26/05/2017 Time: 17.59PM
Update Time!

Title: What problem have I faced? Well stay connected and I will be sure to let you know now!

So I got a reply from the site about upgrading my website which I posted earlier which would enable me to get access to my own domain for website and for my email rather than @hotmail or www.shinebright.site123

They stated their upgrade will include the free domain for the website link only. If I take an upgrade I would need to pay monthly/ per annum rather than a one-off charge for upgrading.

Nonetheless, upgrading the site is beneficial as this give me access to a number of features like unlimited and pick and match colour scheming, removal of site123 floating banner, removing site123 footer banner, access to action button features and more!

The plan starts at $14 (£10.94) per month or $114 (£91.90) per annum. This is the basic plan. However the mailing aspect of this is separate and needs to be bought separately per year.

This is where the problem is. As a A level student at this time I cannot afford paying a high charge per year as at this stage this simply is not feasible. In the sites defence, they do provide a high quality website service, excellent features and it's easy to navigate through the page! So I am in a dilemma as do I make another site despite the hard effort I've already put in or do I continue to use this as although proffesionalism is key, but just as I've mentioned before this is not a business but a support service to help people. Although, this been said being a unique site without any company name is more appealing rather than a 'free' site with company name implanted and weak web link which looks substandard and second-rated; so I am in a sticky situation now.

But I will update you with my decision on the site.

(Little Side-note): Beautiful weather guys! Enjoy!

~MBash~ 😊

I might be a little late but for my websites I pay £10 a year for unlimited domains, emails, subdomains etc - When i say domains i mean domains linked to the server so you have to buy the domain yourself (which is about £10 for 2 years?)

If you're interested send me a message and i'll send you the link :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending