The Student Room Group

Mental Health in Today's Society- Best Blog Yet!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
(Second time I'm posting- Finished blogging and i submit reply and it miraculously disappeared, I was so gutted but I'm gonna do another blog. Persevere, Persevere MBash. (serves me right for not doing it and saving it). I guarantee this blog will be 110% better than the other one! So it will make up for it Promise!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 09/07/2017 Time: 9.20PM
Just Another Daily Dose of A Shining Bright Blog!

Today I have been working on creating keywords for search engine optimization for my website. I didn't want to jump into it and pick any keywords which seem to relate to my website. To do this, I wanted to see what my competitors have used for their websites (Sneaky right? I know) So using the View Source Key I was able to access the HTML source code. I used this HTML source code to see the keywords used by competitors like Mind.com as shown in the screenshot below. I also searched the keywords for other competitors like Youngminds.org.uk and teenagementalhealth.org. The screenshot shows the title tags- this is really useful as Google gives a lot of significance in relation to keywords here. I was also able to search the Description tags- which isn't as significant as Goggle doesn't use these for ranking purposes but nevertheless this also has keywords giving me further insight of what type of keywords the website used. Why not eh?

Using the keywords provided by multiple competitors and the keywords I have generated which relate to the website I then used a Keyword search tool which is extremely beneficial as it shows how successful the keywords are as well as showing the competition in relation to other sites on search engines. As you can see in the screenshot for the 'mental health' keyword there is 68% SEO difficulty. SEO difficulty is simply a statistic generated by the search tool taking into consideration the competition (how many pages are currently ranking for that particular term), how many people are bidding on the term in paid search, how expensive are the clicks and how many people are actually searching for the term online. This is perfect as this combines everything to a simple statistic to show me how successful this keyword would be. The preferred scenario for me would be to find a keyword with a lot of searches, but low competition so hence it would be easier to rise to the top for Shine Bright website. The higher the percentage for Keyword Difficulty, the harder it would be to rank well for that term. The lower the percentage, the easier it might be to rank.

I used this tool to analyse all the potential keywords I had noted (keywords generated both from my research from the competitors and my own). Using a keyword this showed the number of searches made and suggestions for other keywords whilst also showing the % difficulty on the table; likewise it did also show other information but as a non-IT student I was not intrigued by the technical Jargon and swiped over it. Sorry for all you IT geniuses! :smile:

To take full advantage of the search tool, I also used the tool to search for keywords in the UK and also elsewhere to see how the statistic might change. Its interesting to see the great difference. I also used the bar graph to see visually how the monthly search volumes changed roughly across a period of time. I must admit at this point, I was more intrigued than doing research, knowing a keyword could change the fate of any website! Crazy right?

I did in the end, find some suitable SEO keywords which I am very confident to apply for my website and I fully understand what my competitors have used and how successful this has been. I did use as much information as I could to complete the SEO keywords for my website. So I'm happy to say I have completed the SEO bit for my website which I am ecstatic about. So a little pat on the back for me *PAT* *PAT*. Now onto bigger and better things!
This did take quite a chunk of my time, So i was unable to begin doing Plugins. So I'll save this for you wonderful people tomorrow! Do Stay tuned for another Shine, shine, shine bright of a shiny bright blog!

Quote of the Day-

'Life is about making an impact, not making an income' - Kevin Kruse
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 61
Guys, I am trying to create fun and enjoyable blogs for others to read. Although it's a bundle of joy creating blogs (seriously guys, I'm head over heels at the moment.. No seriously!) I want to create blogs where I'm able to explain what I've done to continue growing my website each day whilst also creating a amusing atmosphere with my sarcastic comments or even general funny comments for people to enjoy reading. I for one lose concentration easily reading long boring texts, so I want this to add some spice and uniqueness to the blogs to make it entertaining to read for all you jolly TSR readers. :wink:
Reply 62
Date: 10/07/2017 Time: 8.30PM

Today I have been working on adding a plugins to my website. There are lots of plugins the site offers; but I downloaded Google analytics to start with. Google Analytics will enable me to keep track of the number of viewers on my website; this does also show the location of viewers which is another perk showing me where my audience is situated (It’s ok guys you can still visit the site; I promise not to stalk anyone!).

Setting up Google analytics was daunting as my website required an application ID which I would need to retrieve from a specific ‘End Global Google Analytic Code’; So, as clueless as I was, I did however manage to find a help page online which led me to my ID. The little image attached explains it all! To confirm Google analytics is active, SITE123 offers a live chat service which advised me my Google Analytic is now live as they could see it; although I must have pestered them quite a lot as I stopped getting any replies back (I’m sure its connection problems... BT eh!). I will begin to receive statistics after 24 hours as it needs to process the data for non-real time reports as stated by our very own Google instructions page.

I did also add a free extension called Google Tag Assistant which I found really difficult to crack and pretty much a mistake for downloading it. It showed a small sticker on my tab section of my computer which shows how well the Google analytic system is working. It showed tags which have been completed really well whilst also showing what I need to do with Google analytic tags outside the head which I need to bring in somehow. I didn’t feel confident with this additional (optional) feature so after some research, I knew this wouldn’t create too much of a fuss if I deleted it as if I left the tags out all it would do is just decrease the likelihood of the tracking beacon being sent before the user leaves the page. I did confirm this with the Live team on Site123 with their response being its fine as this won’t create problems anyhow.

I did consider other plugins which also would be useful for my website; however the best ones are costly and are part of an upgrade scheme. So, currently my plan is to upgrade and take advantage of this resource.

I also did little adjustments to my website like changing the setting for my page to Multi-page (showing each page separately when clicked) as I like the funky writing addressing each page separately at the top of the page; a personal preference of course!

Quote of the day-
‘Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re probably right.’ Henry Ford

annotations of today's work:
Reply 63
Date: 11/07/2017 Time: 8.30PM

Today, I faced a problem whilst creating my domain. The website has an option of creating a domain ‘.co.uk’, ‘.com’, ‘.net’, ‘.biz’ and so on. But it did not have an option of .org.uk which is recommended for NGOs and charities. ‘.org.uk’ is the recognised domain name for UK charities and people feel a sense of trust; so for me to use .co.uk would give off a sense of this being a profit-making site which 100% is not true. I realised I would need a .org.uk after curiously looking at charity sites which seemed odd as they all seemed to have .org.uk than any other domain. By further research I realised this is strongly encouraged for charities to use such domains; examples of charities which use .org.uk are Mind, Age UK, British Heart Foundation, The Red Cross and Macmillan Trust. The best place for any charity online presence is to have web addresses like ‘.org.uk’. And in my humble opinion, it’s all good for me to choose any domain, but if I am going to be paying for a domain for a long term, then I want the best possible opportunity for the success of Shine Bright.

Raphael, one of the website’s helpers has emailed his manager to see if they could register .org.uk for me to use and apply. It was surprising to see the website had domains like ‘ws’ and ‘mobi’ but not ‘.org.uk’. A response can take up to 48 hours (his words), so I will wait for the reply to see whether I can register my domain. Fingers crossed. I feel disappointed as I was looking forward to officially registering my website today.

I do also actively update my Facebook and Twitter posts regularly. I have also added my friends to the group to further spread the word. Can anyone let me know of anything I am doing wrong or any improvements I should do to enhance my website?

Quote of the Evening:
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandi
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 64
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/domain?X-CSRF-Token=140bdd673cc6080ad84ca3aca782861f777ef25f&domain=shinebright.org.uk

the domain name shinebright.org.uk is available.

All the .mobi, .uk is more of a recent thing. It opens up more website domains. Personally I just see it as money making. The advice often offered is to purchase all the variants of your domain name if you can afford it. So you would buy the .co.uk, .uk, .com, etc. This is to stop someone else coming along and piggybacking on your domain name. So with all these extra suffixes some website owners just snap them all up and of course spend a fair bit in doing so.

But if you were to have a separate website for mobile users then the .mobi might be of use? But with most websites being built of responsive templates and will resize to suit the device that seems pointless.

That is one thing you should check (if you haven't already) and that is how your website looks and functions on mobile devices.
Reply 65
Original post by AysheaS
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/order/domain?X-CSRF-Token=140bdd673cc6080ad84ca3aca782861f777ef25f&domain=shinebright.org.uk

the domain name shinebright.org.uk is available.

All the .mobi, .uk is more of a recent thing. It opens up more website domains. Personally I just see it as money making. The advice often offered is to purchase all the variants of your domain name if you can afford it. So you would buy the .co.uk, .uk, .com, etc. This is to stop someone else coming along and piggybacking on your domain name. So with all these extra suffixes some website owners just snap them all up and of course spend a fair bit in doing so.

But if you were to have a separate website for mobile users then the .mobi might be of use? But with most websites being built of responsive templates and will resize to suit the device that seems pointless.

That is one thing you should check (if you haven't already) and that is how your website looks and functions on mobile devices.

That must cost quite a bit for businesses though, but I would see their reasoning behind it as its an effective technique. I must admit a mobile domain like .mobi is pretty cool and it being recent, I wouldn't be surprised if .mobi is a roaring success; as more people are using phones to access things they search for than other devices.

My website is built so it is able to adjust to different devices. This is one of the functions provided by the website itself. To make it easier, I am able to preview my website as desktop, tablet and Mobile which is pretty handy as I don't need to grab my phone every now and again to see how my website will look by mobile as this function is readily available.

Having .mobi makes so much sense as there have been occasions were I have opened websites on my phone and the layout of the website is all over the place with text in a zig-zag fashion; assuming that I open the same site on a computer, the website will probably look perfect!
Reply 66
Date: 12/07/2017 Time: 11.45PM

Hi, Sorry for a quite so late update. Don’t worry I’m not expecting anyone to get up to read my blog (because I know no one will :colondollar:) because of course you need your beauty sleep! I have been at Thorpe Park all day and had no life in me to just type my not so brilliant of a shiny bright blog today after I got back.

I have been regularly chatting with Raphael about the domain. So an update is the site is prepared to register the .org.uk domain which is fantastic. The .org.uk is still under construction, but as far as I know the domain is most likely ready to go through as early as tomorrow. So hopefully tomorrow, the domain should be registered and running; so I can finally begin creating my domain tomorrow. This is the biggest issue I have faced whilst creating my website; I have not faced any major issues whilst creating this website before. To handle the issue, I had support from livechat which is available on my site 24/7 and the issue will be resolved for me to carry on creating my website.

Quote of the day-
'I know who I am, I know what I believe and that's all I need to know' - Will Smith
Reply 67
The reason you can't view some sites on a mobile is because they aren't responsive. This tends to be older sites that haven't been updated in years.

Sites now tend to be built on a responsive framework, like your own site. It resizes, changes the design and sometimes removes or collapses items when a website is viewed on a mobile device. It's not the domain name itself it is how the website has been designed.

It's good that your site is mobile friendly as it's very irritating when it's not! Also good for your site because of who it is aimed at, majority of younger people browse using phones and tablets.
Original post by MBash
That must cost quite a bit for businesses though, but I would see their reasoning behind it as its an effective technique. I must admit a mobile domain like .mobi is pretty cool and it being recent, I wouldn't be surprised if .mobi is a roaring success; as more people are using phones to access things they search for than other devices.

My website is built so it is able to adjust to different devices. This is one of the functions provided by the website itself. To make it easier, I am able to preview my website as desktop, tablet and Mobile which is pretty handy as I don't need to grab my phone every now and again to see how my website will look by mobile as this function is readily available.

Having .mobi makes so much sense as there have been occasions were I have opened websites on my phone and the layout of the website is all over the place with text in a zig-zag fashion; assuming that I open the same site on a computer, the website will probably look perfect!

Most websites will not have a .mobi domain. Think of sites like amazon or google, or maybe this site too! They all have the same domain ending for desktop and mobile.

Newer websites use newer css techniques that allow pages to dynamically reshape (like resizing your browser window) Having a different domain will also mean all your links go to two different places so sharing a link will be more difficult.
Reply 69
Original post by AysheaS
The reason you can't view some sites on a mobile is because they aren't responsive. This tends to be older sites that haven't been updated in years.

Sites now tend to be built on a responsive framework, like your own site. It resizes, changes the design and sometimes removes or collapses items when a website is viewed on a mobile device. It's not the domain name itself it is how the website has been designed.

It's good that your site is mobile friendly as it's very irritating when it's not! Also good for your site because of who it is aimed at, majority of younger people browse using phones and tablets.

True that. There also are sites which do offer for you to manually adjust the viewable area like Tilda and many others. Either way, it's good for websites to adapt their website to any device to enable full accessibility.
With the banning of ladies and gentleman on the London underground i fear mental illness is spreading, this thread is very important to highlight this new plague.
Reply 71
Original post by theOrangeJuice
Most websites will not have a .mobi domain. Think of sites like amazon or google, or maybe this site too! They all have the same domain ending for desktop and mobile.

Newer websites use newer css techniques that allow pages to dynamically reshape (like resizing your browser window) Having a different domain will also mean all your links go to two different places so sharing a link will be more difficult.

Yes! that's what I was unsure about when I first came across this domain as I'd never seen it but websites were mobile friendly. But you and Ayesha have explained it really well as like you said websites are implementing different techniques which as a result enable websites to be accessible.

Thanks OrangeJuice and Ayesha!
Reply 72
Date: 13/07/2017 Time: 9.25PM

Regarding the domain, it has not yet been set up; so I feel disappointed as I was expecting it to be registered by today as I was told by one of the team members. But its fine as delays are sometimes inevitable.

So in today's blog I want to share my experiences which will be like a little series ( not netflix series but hey!) across the future blog posts of my experiences where I will be answering questions which you can ask (secretly I want you to ask! I will run out of mine :biggrin:) but mostly questions I have thought through.

My experiences: Part 1

What have I enjoyed the most whilst creating a website so far?

Every aspect of creating Shine Bright has been a magical and incredible experience. This is not empty words, but it has been an incredibly amazing experience as I learnt new skills whilst also initiating something which I truly love. Creating the website logo myself, must be without a doubt a highlight of the experience. I thought of different templates and layouts of a potential logo which will grasp the attention of a reader whilst also incorporate a sense of hope and that feeling that you CAN be who you are, you CAN be yourself. Like they say a picture speaks a thousand words and I don’t know whether it's that I created the logo myself or that I have achieved what I wanted a logo to look like but either way I love the logo. Here everything I’ve done is self-made, from the logo to the articles, I have created with my own will and desire and although the logo was not professionally made or the articles are not professionally made, I never did set out to make the perfect website but to create a website for 13-17 years olds to help for those who go through dark times and may feel they are alone.

What aspect of creating a website did I find the most difficult?

SEO. The 3 letter acronym itself is enough to put anyone off from applying keywords onto their site. For me, I’ve never come across SEO and SEO keywords before or any IT knowledge; so to be exposed to SEO was very daunting. I never really wanted to do SEO to be fair as it looked way too technical; I’d always put it off and do something that seemed more interesting and engaging. But finally I have done it and I must say that was my proudest moment (I don’t know how mothers feel when they give birth to a child; proud? Mission accomplished? But as far as SEO’s go that’s exactly what I was feeling). After some research, I realised its not as hard as I anticipated; so for those on the fence on whether to create a website or not; Go for it!

What would you improve if you had the opportunity to re-do the website creating process again?

I would create a domain at the very beginning of creating my website. Having a .org.uk domain already would make it easier promoting my website on social networks at the very start as new viewers have a sense of trust than a link which also includes the name of the site with it. This would also make it easier as there is no need to instantly change old domains and update on shared areas. Even now, shine bright is domain-less or shall we say under construction. But either way, this is a beginning for a bright future, so it’s never too late to create a domain.

Quote of the day-
Because I really love the last quote I think it should be a 2 day Quote!
so here goes:
'I know who I am, I know what I believe and that's all I need to know' - Will Smith
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 73
Date: 14/07/2017 Time: 8.45PM

Today is the day! I have finally created a domain for my website. I am chuffed with my website and email domain; it finally feels I have officially created a website. To do this, this required an upgrade on my current website, which as you may know doesn’t come cheap. I did choose the yearly package as in the long-term would be more cost effective. For example the first package is £11.04 for only 1 month whilst the same package would be £7.73 per month if based on a yearly basis.

Although on the other hand, it was decision time as I made the decision not to choose the professional package as this is more beneficial for professional organisations. This consisted of 5 mailboxes and E-commerce at 500 monthly orders rather than 10 p/m which my package offers. But it’s totally fine as I will not be using the orders as my website purpose is more of a service than selling. So guys you won’t be getting any spam mail saying ‘Buy this for only £9.99 - 50% off!’ if you subscribe to Shine Bright. So go ahead and Subscribe!

As you know I faced the problem to connect my domain using an .org.uk TLD on site123. Unfortunately after talking to the support team today about the .org.uk TLD on site123, the problem was still not resolved. I was told a decision will be made on Tuesday whether it’s feasible to register the .org.uk on the site. In fact, the .org.uk was not even in its final stages of being registered! Admin still need to approve whether they could still register it. I was frustrated to know this as I was told this had been approved and would be registered by ‘tomorrow’ as stated by the team. I did explain I was reassured that the domain was approved, but apparently it was a misunderstanding!

So I didn’t want to delay the domain any longer and decided to find a different site to buy the domain separately and connected it to the hosting server IP using nameservers. The site I bought the domain from was namecheap.com. I was also able to get an email domain, which was the premium version, called: ‘Business office email’. I did face problems buying the web domain as payment couldn’t go through as my registered name didn’t somehow match. But I was still billed for the payment; this happened twice- so the support team was able to help me get a refund for the first time and apply the second charge for the domain.

Another problem I faced was because I began to panic as I submitted the transaction twice; I bought the wrong private email which was the ‘basic’ package. So when the transaction side of things was managed, I was referred to the email department for them to change the basic package to the premium business office package. This didn’t take them long to do. Creating a domain has been the most demanding aspect of creating a website for me personally, I have spent a good 3-4 hours trying to fix problems and actually create a domain. It took approx. 45 minutes for the domain to be registered globally and now it is up and running on my website; which makes me happy as time was perhaps well-spent.

I think a lesson to learn from creating a website is without a doubt to check how reliable the website is from which you are about to buy the domain from. First I wanted to buy my domain from 1&1.com however looking at their feedback on review pages; majority of feedback was 1* or 1.5* with complaints of increasing prices mid-way plan, failing to end the package plan as requested or no support provided. Whilst looking at namecheap.com feedback on review pages, majority of stars were 4.5 stars if not 5 stars with incredible feedback of support and reliability which I would also agree. I really believe in the long-term using domain from 1&1.com would have been a disaster and a head-ache for me to deal with, especially given by the vast amount of bad feedback.

Quote of the day-

‘If you love something, set it free’ - Abraham Lincoln
Reply 74
(Forgot to say)

My website is: www.shinebright.org.uk
Reply 75
Date: 15/07/2017 Time: 10.45PM

Welcome to another daily blog. Today, I have been working on my favicon and social share images. Favicon is the image that will appear in the web browser, next to my websites URL. And social share image is the image that will be appeared on Facebook/ Twitter when my website is shared. On search engines you would see sometimes images of the creator of the site that is basically the Favicon Image, and in my instance it would be appropriate for my logo to be there. This is really important just to add that little enticement to the URL for people to click onto my website and I have done it today.

I have made little changes to the design of the page; nothing too major but just slight colour shade changes and layout changes to make the website more pleasing. I have started creating my next 2 article blogs for my website. First article is based on Self Confidence and second article is Relaxing your mind and being yourself in school holidays.

Title of 1st article: 5 Top Tips on building YOUR self-Confidence
Title of 2nd article: Nearly School Holidays? Learn these 6 amazing ideas to relax yourself and rewind during the summer for a healthy and refreshed mind!

I have been looking at Google analytics to see how my website has been doing in the last few days. The number of views in the last few days has fluctuated with all traffic being direct. However yesterday to today, the amount of social referrals have increased; which is good to see; regular activity is influencing this, although it may just be friends I have added onto the group who are visiting the site. Something out the ordinary on google analytics was in fact; I had audiences from 4 different countries. 85% of users being UK, followed by Israel with 7.4% and India and The Netherlands with joint 3.7% of users. Good to see people are actually looking at the website; but obviously it still needs more content at the moment.

In my initial plan as stated in one of my first blogs I stated I will be creating a #Letstalk communication page for me to communicate directly to my audience. To initiate this, I have enabled comments to be posted by people on my articles so they can either communicate with each other or ask me questions if needed. To avoid anyone posting anything silly, this is moderated by me, so as admin I will have the authority to approve the comment or delete the comment without it being publicly posted. Now I will begin to take this a step further and create a live chat window as a pop-up on my website like you see on websites, where you can ask questions live. This will be useful as people can choose to be anonymous at the same time whilst also receiving fast responsive messages rather than emailing and waiting for a response a while later.

As we speak, I am working on my next 2 article blogs which should be completed by tonight and up tomorrow on here. Thanks for your time and that’s me done for today; until the next blog. Peace, love and unity!

Quote of the Night-

“If there is no enemy within, the enemy outside can do you no harm”- Muhammed Ali
Reply 76
Date: 16/07/2017 Time: 7.55PM

Welcome to another daily blog. Today, I have worked on creating my Let’s Talk chat. I installed the LiveChat plugin, although there was a selection to choose from. I entered the unique Application ID onto my website much like what I did for the Google Analytics and generated the chat live onto this page.

I am feeling pretty content to have created a Lets Talk Chat. Personally I feel emailing someone when you urgently need them now is off-putting and sometimes seems time-consuming. However having a chat I am able to instantly talk to my teenage audience who want to talk right there and then. I have downloaded the LiveChat app from App Store onto my phone so I can talk to my audience whenever they need help as I cannot stay glued to a computer all the time.

I did do a test- run using my name as ‘Sam’ to see how well the chat works. It gives off a sound something like ‘you’ve got a livechat message’ and the notification which looks pretty sound. So it’s very difficult to miss a message by someone; although this does allow the person to leave their enquiry for me to respond to later if I ever do. So I cannot wait to begin operating this. For me this is the most exciting bit of creating a website- as a child I used to love going on random sites to use this anyway but to actually talk to a live person and helping them is pretty exciting.

live chat image.JPG

I have modified the homepage to have changing images instead of the previous one I had as the homepage looks pretty dull and unappealing. I did also change the background colour from white to very thin fade of baby blue to add that little lively effect.

The blogs have gone up onto my website- So be sure to take a look when you get a spare second. With a few more blogs I have the opportunity to apply for Google Adsense; but I will not be doing so as like I said this is not for me to make money from; this is a place for teenagers and there’s no room here for ads or profit.

I did pick up a bad technique to promote the website to teenagers on TSR hoping a teenager in a difficult time may find this useful. But as I posted the same content on multiple Mental Health forums, it was recognised as spam or advertising; and I did receive a warning (Reminder of the rules) for my actions. I apologise to anyone and TSR for my inconvenience and I accept and have learned from my mistake. I need to target posts individually and make unique commentary where I do actually target teenagers on a more individual basis and empathise with them rather than posting the same copied content on multiple forums which I regret. So I think that’s a lesson to learn when creating a website to analyse the place and situation before diving in and promoting your website or anything in that respect. Thanks for your time and that’s me done for today; until the next blog. Peace, love and unity!

Quote of the day-

‘A Winner is a Dreamer who never gives up’ Nelson Mandela
Reply 77
Date: 17/07/2017 Time: 11.15PM

Welcome to another daily blog. Today I have been working on creating a not so well help page. Not so well, because in my head I had imagined a separate page where it will list all the helplines which relate to my website and the individual can choose from an array of charities. But this turned out to be completely different than what I thought. So, what happened is at the bottom of the website I’ve added a little slide show of the different websites I think are really good. But, I do find this way cooler than what I initially thought I’d do as now the user can choose any charity they like and click on it which leads to its website. I did also attach this so it’s present in the header of the website. This turned out to be better as initially the user would have to copy the URL link and paste to search the website. So when creating a website, I think its important to be open minded and consider more than one option as this may improve your approach to things. It’s shown below:

snapshot for TSR.JPG

I know what your thinking- “MBash it’s like inviting your predator to your front door... Why are you promoting competition on your website?” Well good question you ask there! I think at the end of the day it gives more options for people who really need help and sometimes it may just be a blog doesn’t work for one person, but it works for others. So in this instance giving a person more options to go somewhere where they can actually receive the help that meets their needs is better than for them to be unsuccessful. In my opinion, I think when creating a website, there are times where you need to make decisions or compromises; especially for an NGO where their prime goal is charitable help than profit; and I think you should be ready to make business decisions, assessing the situation provided of course- as I’d be baffled if I saw a selling website promoting their competitors right on their own doorstep.

I was thinking perhaps I could add an events page where it lists all the mental health events in different areas across the UK. Just a thought at the moment- good idea though. Would be pretty beneficial for users, I know I’d find it pretty useful if I was a user. Thanks for your time and that’s another blog done for today; until next time- Peace, love and unity!

(Extremely late blog again- Well done me again! Little pat on the back!)

Quote of the day-

‘Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well’ Josh Billings
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 78
Date: 18/07/2017 Time: 2.00PM
Blog 1 of 2

My Plan Vs the website in action: How well are we REALLY doing?

As you know at the beginning I created a plan document where I clearly listed what I wanted for my website and how I wanted my website to look. In this blog, I will talk about how successful the website has been in following my plan and also what I also want to apply to my website moving forwards. So this blog is basically a heads up as to what I want to do with my website whilst also discussing my plan which I haven’t really talked about since I’ve created my website.

Successful: Why?-

Clearly outlined my purpose, target audience and topic and successfully applied - This being extremely important as now I’m not all over the place trying to do everything to make everyone happy.

Understood and applied Social Media Influence- without a doubt paying off now as we are reaching nearly half of users referred from Social than Direct.

#LetsTalk/ Communication applied as planned- directly able to connect to audience and via social media

Understand what people like through Youth Centre visit, despite being small-scale- I was able to know and confirm what teenagers like and dislike.

Unsuccessful: Why?

Gmail- I created this but decided upon advice of others to buy private email. On positive side of things, its important to consider and take upon yourself to accept sometimes other are right and you need to improve on things.

Delay of domain- something I would definetly improve if I had the chance to re-create my website as this creates confusement and its something I would advise to apply right when you start a website.

I want to add a FAQ page which answers mental health questions in a short snippet and also add quality videos from youtube which will help users. I also might add an events page which I’m quite liking the idea at the moment.

Do stay tuned for blog 2 of 2 of what I have done today for my website. Thanks for your time until the one- Peace, love and unity!

Quote of the day-

‘You never lose; either you win or you learn'
Original post by MBash
(Second time I'm posting- Finished blogging and i submit reply and it miraculously disappeared, I was so gutted but I'm gonna do another blog. Persevere, Persevere MBash. (serves me right for not doing it and saving it). I guarantee this blog will be 110% better than the other one! So it will make up for it Promise!)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 09/07/2017 Time: 9.20PM

Today I have been working on creating keywords for search engine optimization for my website. I didn't want to jump into it and pick any keywords which seem to relate to my website. To do this, I wanted to see what my competitors have used for their websites (Sneaky right? I know) So using the View Source Key I was able to access the HTML source code. I used this HTML source code to see the keywords used by competitors like Mind.com as shown in the screenshot below. I also searched the keywords for other competitors like Youngminds.org.uk and teenagementalhealth.org. The screenshot shows the title tags- this is really useful as Google gives a lot of significance in relation to keywords here. I was also able to search the Description tags- which isn't as significant as Goggle doesn't use these for ranking purposes but nevertheless this also has keywords giving me further insight of what type of keywords the website used. Why not eh?

Using the keywords provided by multiple competitors and the keywords I have generated which relate to the website I then used a Keyword search tool which is extremely beneficial as it shows how successful the keywords are as well as showing the competition in relation to other sites on search engines. As you can see in the screenshot for the 'mental health' keyword there is 68% SEO difficulty. SEO difficulty is simply a statistic generated by the search tool taking into consideration the competition (how many pages are currently ranking for that particular term), how many people are bidding on the term in paid search, how expensive are the clicks and how many people are actually searching for the term online. This is perfect as this combines everything to a simple statistic to show me how successful this keyword would be. The preferred scenario for me would be to find a keyword with a lot of searches, but low competition so hence it would be easier to rise to the top for Shine Bright website. The higher the percentage for Keyword Difficulty, the harder it would be to rank well for that term. The lower the percentage, the easier it might be to rank.

I used this tool to analyse all the potential keywords I had noted (keywords generated both from my research from the competitors and my own). Using a keyword this showed the number of searches made and suggestions for other keywords whilst also showing the % difficulty on the table; likewise it did also show other information but as a non-IT student I was not intrigued by the technical Jargon and swiped over it. Sorry for all you IT geniuses! :smile:

To take full advantage of the search tool, I also used the tool to search for keywords in the UK and also elsewhere to see how the statistic might change. Its interesting to see the great difference. I also used the bar graph to see visually how the monthly search volumes changed roughly across a period of time. I must admit at this point, I was more intrigued than doing research, knowing a keyword could change the fate of any website! Crazy right?

I did in the end, find some suitable SEO keywords which I am very confident to apply for my website and I fully understand what my competitors have used and how successful this has been. I did use as much information as I could to complete the SEO keywords for my website. So I'm happy to say I have completed the SEO bit for my website which I am ecstatic about. So a little pat on the back for me *PAT* *PAT*. Now onto bigger and better things!
This did take quite a chunk of my time, So i was unable to begin doing Plugins. So I'll save this for you wonderful people tomorrow! Do Stay tuned for another Shine, shine, shine bright of a shiny bright blog!

Quote of the Day-

'Life is about making an impact, not making an income' - Kevin Kruse

Mbash, the same thing keeps happening to me with the text box issue. I go to submit my reply on my blog and it just disappears. It is a nightmare! I must have written tons of content and most of it never made it to TSR - it just exploded into thin air. The struggle is real.

However, i have found that I can sometimes save it if I go back on my browser. Sometimes, if you're lucky, the cache on the site would have saved it. Other times I am not so lucky. It is just a suggestion.

Also, I am loving the enthusiasm you've got with this blog, great posts mate, I love it. Also, I couldn't help but notice you're using KWFinder in your screenshots. I use that every day. it is one of my favourite keyword research tools because it combines Moz and Google's planner to make an awesome tool.

If you want a better way of analysing your competitors, try Moz's open site explorer. It will show you the authority of the sites in your niche and can do the on-page SEO analysis for you. Just click the little paper icon when you're on a webpage and all the data you need will be listed in front of you.

Also, you don't want to be ranking for the same things as your competitors initially. They already have authority in Google and it could be difficult to challenge them on keywords they are already "mastered in", so to speak. Try to search for long tail keywords that will give you little traffic but when combined together, get you a lot of (targeted) traffic :wink: In a sense, long-tail keywords are a way round the big websites in a niche. Once you start to seeing traffic form the low competition keywords then you can improve your backlinking strategy and target big kid keywords with authority backlinks - this is the point when you want to look at your competitors because they will have a good backlink profile you can copy. Again, moz, Ahrefs or Majestic are great for this.

Anyway I am rambling, keep up the good work :smile: My bother has autism so it is nice to see a sight about mental health :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest