The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Korean - My Experience

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariejuana
I RELATE SO MUCH. I'm in year 12 doing bio, chem, physics and maths. I want to do medicine. I have work experience in medicine and am planning to do volunteering in medicine as well. However after not doing any foreign languages since GCSE; I realised that I really really really want to learn a language. I am currently learning Korean as a hobby and my German from GCSE is still quite good. I'm debating whether to do languages or medicine. Medicine is going to be an easier option for me because I'm taking the right a-levels and it's more likely to get me a career. I will probably end up going down that route, but it saddens me that I didn't take a language.

Unfortunately I feel like languages are one of those things that you only appreciate the value of once you're a bit older. If you do want to switch to doing languages, it won't be a problem with your A-Levels but medicine is an incredible career that I'm sure you'll love if you've been enjoying your work experience and are passionate about it. Good luck!
Original post by umbrellala
It's so frustrating! Honestly I think medical degrees are massively romanticised when they're ridiculously hard and you need to sacrifice a lot, even more so once you've graduated. People who manage to graduate deserve to be millionaires haha. Good luck with your course, it sounds really interesting :smile:

Thanks, you too! & I agree haha, the work experience that you need for vet med is so hard to get (especially when you live in the middle of a big city and the nearest farms for lambing are at least an hour and a half away by car). Luckily my mum stood up for me when my family were giving me stick for dropping the vet med aspiration :smile: people underestimate language degrees a lot in my opinion, especially as they’re classed as an Art (and a lot of STEM students like to look down on Arts😴).
Original post by alexseb31
Thanks, you too! & I agree haha, the work experience that you need for vet med is so hard to get (especially when you live in the middle of a big city and the nearest farms for lambing are at least an hour and a half away by car). Luckily my mum stood up for me when my family were giving me stick for dropping the vet med aspiration :smile: people underestimate language degrees a lot in my opinion, especially as they’re classed as an Art (and a lot of STEM students like to look down on Arts😴).

Yes that's so true! I live in a city as well, and it's almost impossible to do the farm stuff when you're too young to drive and your parents work full time. Aw that's so nice of her, my parents weren't actually that bothered about me not doing vet med but they were seriously doubtful about whether Korean would be the right alternative. My dad wanted me to do PPE but I went to a trial lecture with my mum at an open day and we were both struggling to stay awake for the majority of it so there was no way that was happening.
There's so much snobbery about STEM subjects and I really don't get why? Everyone seems to think languages are 'soft' subjects when we have to do more work than a lot of other students! One of my friends who applied to biochemistry at cambridge was told they needed to do 40hrs of work a week. At SOAS we were told we were expected to do 50-60hrs. It's kind of sad that they're so underrated tbh
Honestly I'm not really sure. It's hard to tell without having people who have done each of those options to compare, but I'd probably say if you're comparing additional modules to the full-blown degree, you'll have a much higher fluency from the degree. Comparing learning independently to a degree, if you reach the same level of fluency then the only real difference would probably be your understanding of the customs and culture. And perhaps the standard of pronunciation.

Not at all, best to be detailed to benefit those who need it! I was js in case my q was covered in a part I read properly.
University is just so expensive considering travel and independent teaching could be enough although that's easier said than done. I am not good at learning languages independently :/
Yes that's so true! I live in a city as well, and it's almost impossible to do the farm stuff when you're too young to drive and your parents work full time. Aw that's so nice of her, my parents weren't actually that bothered about me not doing vet med but they were seriously doubtful about whether Korean would be the right alternative. My dad wanted me to do PPE but I went to a trial lecture with my mum at an open day and we were both struggling to stay awake for the majority of it so there was no way that was happening.
There's so much snobbery about STEM subjects and I really don't get why? Everyone seems to think languages are 'soft' subjects when we have to do more work than a lot of other students! One of my friends who applied to biochemistry at cambridge was told they needed to do 40hrs of work a week. At SOAS we were told we were expected to do 50-60hrs. It's kind of sad that they're so underrated tbh

Yeah, I agree - I think it’s to do with the general notion of “English is the global lingua Franca so I don’t need to learn another language” but people don’t even stop to consider the fact that languages are more than what they look like at face value, which is a shame. I’m my mums eldest child and apparently her mum was very strict and controlling over what she did so she’s really quite open minded and relaxed about what I do with my life,which is sweet. And she appreciates me being able to speak a few different languages well enough that we can go on holiday without being “those tourists” hahaha
Original post by Chichaldo
Not at all, best to be detailed to benefit those who need it! I was js in case my q was covered in a part I read properly.
University is just so expensive considering travel and independent teaching could be enough although that's easier said than done. I am not good at learning languages independently :/

It is difficult to choose, and uni is stupidly expensive. In my opinion, independent teaching is only truly successful if you have a lot of native speakers to practice with, otherwise you'll never be corrected or have proper pronunciation. For me, the main issue with learning independently is that I have limited access to native speakers and I really struggle with time management when I have other more important things to do, so I know I'd never get any studying done if I was learning the language whilst doing another degree or working. Although I do enjoy learning independently, I generally learn better in the standard student-teacher setting too.

It all depends on your circumstances and preferences I guess.
Also,I’m the only student at my college doing solely Arts subjects, they’re really STEM heavy and if anything it’s more of an incentive to do well :P
Original post by alexseb31
Yeah, I agree - I think it’s to do with the general notion of “English is the global lingua Franca so I don’t need to learn another language” but people don’t even stop to consider the fact that languages are more than what they look like at face value, which is a shame. I’m my mums eldest child and apparently her mum was very strict and controlling over what she did so she’s really quite open minded and relaxed about what I do with my life,which is sweet. And she appreciates me being able to speak a few different languages well enough that we can go on holiday without being “those tourists” hahaha

That is the struggle being the oldest child I guess. Luckily I have two older siblings, one who did Geography and the other in her final year of Politics at uni so they did pretty classic subjects. Got to have a wild card in there somewhere otherwise it gets boring haha. My sixth form is actually quite balanced which is nice, that must be hard being the only person doing all arts. But more interesting probably. Here you're either a science person or a humanities person. There are a few arty types that do music and drama, but not many of those. And I just float awkwardly between science and humanities with my combination.
(edited 6 years ago)
It is difficult to choose, and uni is stupidly expensive. In my opinion, independent teaching is only truly successful if you have a lot of native speakers to practice with, otherwise you'll never be corrected or have proper pronunciation. For me, the main issue with learning independently is that I have limited access to native speakers and I really struggle with time management when I have other more important things to do, so I know I'd never get any studying done if I was learning the language whilst doing another degree or working. Although I do enjoy learning independently, I generally learn better in the standard student-teacher setting too.

It all depends on your circumstances and preferences I guess.

Uni money could be spent on years of travel in that country learning around natives?
Original post by Chichaldo
Uni money could be spent on years of travel in that country learning around natives?

That is true, but I knew I was going to go to uni regardless. It was more a question of what I was going to study at uni rather than whether I was going to study at uni. If you’re questioning going to uni at all, then that’s a whole different question haha.
That is true, but I knew I was going to go to uni regardless. It was more a question of what I was going to study at uni rather than whether I was going to study at uni. If you’re questioning going to uni at all, then that’s a whole different question haha.

Oh I'm at uni doing law atm aha

Loved Scarlet Heart: Ryeo other than the last few eps if you watch it though 😂
Reply 32
Yep I'm in year 13. A lot of the languages threads seem to be full of people who were originally intending to do medical things! I've already applied to SOAS, Sheffield, and UCLan (literally all the options available). How about you?

Just UCLan and Sheffield. SOAS seemed too expensive for me, so I’m determined to get into UCLan. Applying for three Asian courses there and two in sheffield haha. I hope you get accepted by the uni you want.
(edited 6 years ago)
I haven't read your entire blog yet but wow!! I don't think I would ever have the guts to just tell my parents that I no longer want to fulfil my childhood dream. Regardless, I've thought about studying an Asian language at uni before but I'm not really into languages (I say that but who knows what the future holds?). Anyways, good luck with your application process!! :smile:
Original post by inameni
Just UCLan and Sheffield. SOAS seemed too expensive for me, so I’m determined to get into UCLan. Applying for three Asian courses there and two in sheffield haha. I hope you get accepted by the uni you want.

That’s fair enough, living in London is so expensive and it’s only now that I’m realising how massive my debt will be if I go there, but unfortunately I kind of fell in love with it so I have my heart set on it. Of course I love the most expensive one ugh
Thank-you, good luck with your application too!
Original post by nyxnko_
I haven't read your entire blog yet but wow!! I don't think I would ever have the guts to just tell my parents that I no longer want to fulfil my childhood dream. Regardless, I've thought about studying an Asian language at uni before but I'm not really into languages (I say that but who knows what the future holds?). Anyways, good luck with your application process!! :smile:

Thank-you that’s so sweet ❤️ honestly I hope I never have to do it again because it was awful, but it’s paid off so I guess that’s all I can ask for!
Choosing Universities
Not going to lie, picking universities to put on my application was never going to be difficult. I decided to only apply to straight Korean courses (or equivalents) rather than adding in East Asian studies or other related courses because I knew that if I added others my personal statement would become too wishy-washy as I tried to accommodate all of my options.
There are only really four options for straight Korean:
> Korean Studies at Sheffield
> Asia Pacific Studies (Korean) at UCLan
> Korean at SOAS
> Korean Studies at SOAS
Before looking at the courses, I knew that I definitely wanted the year abroad studying in Korea, otherwise it seemed a little pointless to bother learning the language, and I wanted a course that had a relatively equal weighting of language learning and cultural stuff. So, that immediately ruled out Korean Studies at SOAS because there is no year abroad and is less focused on language.After looking at the courses, the SOAS and Sheffield courses stood out to me in particular, and I’d heard good things about both universities but hadn’t known of anyone going to UCLan before, so I didn’t really have any impression of it. I ended up applying to Korean Studies at Sheffield, APS at UCLan, and Korean at SOAS, but honestly I would have just applied to Sheffield and SOAS if it wasn’t for my teachers telling me I needed another back-up (although Sheffield and UCLan have ended up asking for similar grades so it never mattered in the end).

I visited both Sheffield and SOAS on open days, in fact I ended up visiting Sheffield twice to take both of my parents. I’d already visited York and Manchester open days to see their politics courses, and it gave me some good perspective before visiting other unis. Sheffield was the first of the two open days and I went with my mum, but I decided to visit again with my dad since he was the one that needed persuading with the whole Korean thing. I enjoyed Sheffield and could see myself going there, and the professors and students were lovely. The accommodation was great too, and it’s cheap which is always nice. I went to the SOAS open day in October, but I had already been to their Korea & Japan taster day in June which I absolutely fell in love with and was huge in confirming my choice of Korean (I would highly recommend it if you’re thinking about Korean or Japanese). I was overall slightly more impressed with SOAS just because the vibe was more my style and seemed to be more of a close-knit uni that felt more academic? Maybe that’s just me but the uni itself I really loved. The accommodation wasn’t great, especially in comparison to Sheffield, and is expensive but is what’s expected in London I guess. It probably also helps that I already know the area pretty well so I felt at home quite quickly.

After visiting Sheffield and SOAS, I had my heart set on SOAS which I knew was dangerous, considering it has higher entry requirements and is very expensive, but the heart wants what it wants, so that’s what I’m currently aiming for. I’ll definitely visit any applicant days I’m invited to though, just to make absolutely sure!
(edited 5 years ago)
Waiting for Offers
This has to be the most nerve wracking and exciting part of the whole process! Straight after my first application to UCAS on the 3rd November, I was surprisingly chill about the whole thing. I wasn’t really nervous at all, just glad that it was done. I got confirmation emails from Sheffield and UCLan on the 7th which was expected since the 3rd was a Friday and the 7th was the first Monday following that. UCLan sent me a conditional offer the same day for 112 points! Although I didn’t care massively about UCLan, it was nice that my first response was positive.

Sheffield were also pretty speedy with their response, replying by the 10th. They gave me a conditional offer of ABB or BBB with a B in EPQ, which was quite generous and reassuringly achievable, so I was over the moon with that. I was probably most excited for this offer, even though it wasn’t my favourite, as I already kind of knew from other people’s experiences that if you get an offer from Sheffield, you are likely to get an offer from SOAS, and vice versa. It gave me a little spark of hope for SOAS’s response which I had already begun fretting over. I wasn’t expecting such a quick reply, so then I started to get my hopes up for a SOAS response, but considering they hadn’t even sent a confirmation email yet, it was more than slightly unrealistic to be expecting anything remotely quick.

SOAS sent their confirmation email on the 11th of November, late in comparison to the other unis and especially considering it was only an email to confirm that they’d received my application. This is when the ‘refresh syndrome’ kicked in. Throughout the day I’d occasionally get a pang of nervousness and suddenly wonder whether they’d sent me an offer, so I would go straight onto my phone and refresh my emails and then refresh track, praying they’d sent me something. The didn’t for some time. I began to feel really worried and frustrated after about 3 weeks had passed, as many international students had already received offers, and last year’s applicants had started getting offers around the 20th of November. At long last, after much anxiety during the days before, I got an offer of AAB or ABB + B in EPQ on the 7th December! I was so so happy with this, but not as excited about it as I was with the Sheffield offer for whatever reason, despite it being my #1 choice.

So to recap:
SOAS (Korean T415)
Date: 11/11/2017 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 07/12/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - AAB or ABB + B in EPQ

Sheffield (Korean Studies T415)
Date: 07/11/2017 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 10/11/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - ABB or BBB + B in EPQ

UCLan (Asia Pacific Studies - Korean 2R49)
Date: 07/11/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - 112 points

Now I have offers from all 3 of my unis and I’m over the moon! It’s so nice not to be constantly worrying about it any more and refreshing my inbox like there’s no tomorrow. With applications off my mind for a bit, I can start to focus on the upcoming mocks in January and the hellish revision-filled (hopefully) Christmas holidays between now and then.
To anyone applying this year, I hope everything’s going well and you’re getting all the offers you wanted!
Also, I've made a thread specifically for East Asian languages applicants here so you can meet people on similar courses or applying to the same unis :smile:
Waiting for Offers
This has to be the most nerve wracking and exciting part of the whole process! Straight after my first application to UCAS on the 3rd November, I was surprisingly chill about the whole thing. I wasn’t really nervous at all, just glad that it was done. I got confirmation emails from Sheffield and UCLan on the 7th which was expected since the 3rd was a Friday and the 7th was the first Monday following that. UCLan sent me a conditional offer the same day for 112 points! Although I didn’t care massively about UCLan, it was nice that my first response was positive.

Sheffield were also pretty speedy with their response, replying by the 10th. They gave me a conditional offer of ABB or BBB with a B in EPQ, which was quite generous and reassuringly achievable, so I was over the moon with that. I was probably most excited for this offer, even though it wasn’t my favourite, as I already kind of knew from other people’s experiences that if you get an offer from Sheffield, you are likely to get an offer from SOAS, and vice versa. It gave me a little spark of hope for SOAS’s response which I had already begun fretting over. I wasn’t expecting such a quick reply, so then I started to get my hopes up for a SOAS response, but considering they hadn’t even sent a confirmation email yet, it was more than slightly unrealistic to be expecting anything remotely quick.

SOAS sent their confirmation email on the 11th of November, late in comparison to the other unis and especially considering it was only an email to confirm that they’d received my application. This is when the ‘refresh syndrome’ kicked in. Throughout the day I’d occasionally get a pang of nervousness and suddenly wonder whether they’d sent me an offer, so I would go straight onto my phone and refresh my emails and then refresh track, praying they’d sent me something. The didn’t for some time. I began to feel really worried and frustrated after about 3 weeks had passed, as many international students had already received offers, and last year’s applicants had started getting offers around the 20th of November. At long last, after much anxiety during the days before, I got an offer of AAB or ABB + B in EPQ on the 7th December! I was so so happy with this, but not as excited about it as I was with the Sheffield offer for whatever reason, despite it being my #1 choice.

So to recap:
SOAS (Korean T415)
Date: 11/11/2017 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 07/12/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - AAB or ABB + B in EPQ

Sheffield (Korean Studies T415)
Date: 10/11/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - ABB or BBB + B in EPQ

UCLan (Asia Pacific Studies - Korean 2R49)
Date: 07/11/2017 | Reply: Conditional offer - 112 points

Now I have offers from all 3 of my unis and I’m over the moon! It’s so nice not to be constantly worrying about it any more and refreshing my inbox like there’s no tomorrow. With applications off my mind for a bit, I can start to focus on the upcoming mocks in January and the hellish revision-filled (hopefully) Christmas holidays between now and then.
To anyone applying this year, I hope everything’s going well and you’re getting all the offers you wanted!

congratulations :party:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending