The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Volibear
I agree. I was under the impression that many employers are becoming more and more disgruntled because graduates keep turning up with degrees but no common sense and being semi-illiterate.

And I am sure medieval bishops made the same criticisms when "clerkes of Oxenforde" turned up at their palaces seeking a job in the Church.
Original post by nulli tertius
What qualifications do you think people who went to polytechnics obtained?

I understand now why the percentage of the population with a degree never increased since 1992.

However, 30-40 years from now if 35-40% of people graduate from university with a degree doesn't that mean that if the current number of people continuing to go to university is still the same there will be a time in the future when 35-40% of the population between 18-74 will have a degree?

That was what I was thinking of.
Reply 22
Original post by nulli tertius
The poster to whom I replied seemed to be under the belief that the number of degrees suddenly changed when polytechnics became universities. There is no step change at that point. However a widely published table only includes university degrees (and not the centrally validated CNAA degrees which is what polys awarded) and so there is a break of series when CNAA was abolished and each ex-Poly started awarding its own degrees.

The Polys were less vocational than you might think. The largest philosophy department in the country used to be at Middlesex Poly.

The number of CNAA degree courses as a proportion of the total courses offered was likely pretty low, certainly at say Napier before it was a university where I think there were only 2 engineering courses accredited as degrees in 1978.

I actually attended one of them for a year, the BSc Technology with Industrial Studies, which was not a bad course, albeit very classroom intensive.(was just not the right course for me, hence I left and then went to Edinburgh)

Most of the courses offered by Napier back then were HNDs
Original post by DJKL
The number of CNAA degree courses as a proportion of the total courses offered was likely pretty low, certainly at say Napier before it was a university where I think there were only 2 engineering courses accredited as degrees in 1978.

I actually attended one of them for a year, the BSc Technology with Industrial Studies, which was not a bad course, albeit very classroom intensive.(was just not the right course for me, hence I left and then went to Edinburgh)

Most of the courses offered by Napier back then were HNDs

Although Napier and Glasgow took the name Polytechnic, they were Scottish Central Institutions. They did no teacher training which provided the largest number of students in most of the true Polytechnics in England, Wales and NI and they weren't local authority funded.

It is virtually impossible to find CNAA statistics online but even right at the end Napier seems vastly out of line with what the English Polys was doing

Some random stats. 331 graduates of CNAA in 1968
99377 students at polys and 232547 at universities enrolled on first degree courses1977 (all years I think)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin
You are not much of a programmer if you can't use search engines.

I made an account just to say that I googled 'how many people have a degree' and this thread was the first result with your response
Reply 25
Original post by cranberrycarnage
I made an account just to say that I googled 'how many people have a degree' and this thread was the first result with your response

TSR FTW.

If you need a chart...

figure2ofgrads_tcm77-337717.png

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/graduatesintheuklabourmarket/2013-11-19
Original post by cranberrycarnage

Yes that's true. :smile: You can also look at the those sources:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/graduatesintheuklabourmarket/2017#graduates-across-areas-of-great-britain
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/statistics-on-higher-education-initial-participation-rates
The percentage who attend university in the UK, is low, although recently it's been going up due to the ambitious children of immigrant parents. The average figure, I would say is around 10-20%. A lot of private school student attend university, while majority of state school students would go on to work instead. In fact, I'd say there are more females who are pregnant or already mothers at 21, than graduating university, but this is from my observation.
Reply 29
Original post by CFC DE BRUYNE
, but this is from my observation.

You need new specs then...

And the percentage was in my post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77244818&postcount=28
I’d say somewhere between 0%-100%.
Original post by Doonesbury
You need new specs then...

And the percentage was in my post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77244818&postcount=28

What specs are you referring to here? I don't quite understand.
Reply 32
What specs are you referring to here? I don't quite understand.

Spectacles to help your observations.
The percentage who attend university in the UK, is low, although recently it's been going up due to the ambitious children of immigrant parents. The average figure, I would say is around 10-20%. A lot of private school student attend university, while majority of state school students would go on to work instead. In fact, I'd say there are more females who are pregnant or already mothers at 21, than graduating university, but this is from my observation.

I went to a state school then uni. Of my friendship group at (state) school, one is a doctor, one a solicitor, one a vet, one a dentist, one an accountant and one a nurse. I work part time in insurance while completing my Masters (on track for a Merit) and I am looking to go onto a PhD. Not one of us were a) pregnant or mothers by 21 or b) left school and straight into work.
Only one of us was the child of an immigrant and she had an English father who was a teacher and senior member of the education authority so pushed her education. I went to a very high performing single sex faith school and I was in the top set. We were essentially conditioned for university and a professional career which most of us did go into.
(edited 5 years ago)
Spectacles to help your observations.

I grew up in a town around 50 minutes away from London, so of course my observation will always be different to you, or anyone else, outside of this town. For example, the education culture would be different in London, to say Manchester, where Londoners are more likely to attend university than your average Mancunian.

You don't live in my town or here to observe the youth culture, so why would you throw in a derogatory statement regarding specs?
Reply 35
I grew up in a town around 50 minutes away from London, so of course my observation will always be different to you, or anyone else, outside of this town. For example, the education culture would be different in London, to say Manchester, where Londoners are more likely to attend university than your average Mancunian.

You don't live in my town or here to observe the youth culture, so why would you throw in a derogatory statement regarding specs?

Well for one you said the percentage was low when in fact it's 38%. And if you wish to assert that fewer women go to university than have children below the age of 21 please provide sources. A sample size of your "observation" is hardly representative of the UK population is it...?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by princessmaire80
I went to a state school then uni. Of my friendship group at (state) school, one is a doctor, one a solicitor, one a vet, one a dentist, one an accountant and one a nurse. I work part time in insurance while completing my Masters (on track for a Merit) and I am looking to go onto a PhD. Not one of us were a) pregnant or mothers by 21 or b) left school and straight into work.
Only one of us was the child of an immigrant and she had an English father who was a teacher and senior member of the education authority so pushed her education. I went to a very high performing single sex faith school and I was in the top set. We were essentially conditioned for university and a professional career which most of us did go into.

That's amazing, and great to hear the success of yourself and your friends. I wish you the best in all your future.

If you read my OP, I say "but this is from my observation" at the end of my post, so I indirectly acknowledge this may not be the case in every town/city but it is the case where I was born/bred. The youth culture is different in all parts of the UK, so it's very hard to really draw an overall conclusion of the general trend in the country as a whole. For example, in certain cities/towns, you would find a high university entry where as in other cities/towns, you would find more girls pregnant/already mothers at 19, than attending university at that age. Observation and perspective is key in this situation.

I was brought up in a town 50 minutes outside of London. In this town, there were 2 private/selective schools where all the posh/ambitious kids went, and about majority of those ended up going to university. There were around 5 state schools (I attended state school) and the majority in all 5 of these schools, all went to full time work at 18, and many girls ended up up pregnant by 21. In my particular school, 95% of the ones who attended university were the Asian and black kids. Very few white British attended university, about 3 white kids in my entire year went to uni. The number of white people who became parents before 21, is more quadruple than the amount who attended university in my school. Even then, few private school girls in my town started dating state school boys in my town, and guess what? The private school girls became pregnant, and this was when they were 18. This is where my observations really came from.

I appreciate your success story, it's great to hear there are great successful British students out there.
Well for one you said the percentage was low when in fact it's 38%. And if you wish to assert that fewer women go to university than have children below the age of 21 please provide sources. A sample size of your "observation" is hardly representative of the UK population is it...?

Read my response to princessmaire80.
Reply 38
Read my response to princessmaire80.

Of course there will be variations by individual school or even town! The OP was asking about the UK as a whole.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending