Ta. Meant to ask, honest :smile:

Cool. I'll add you in.
Can I join too?? I'm going to be studying law at Durham
Reply 182
miss_piddles
Can I join too?? I'm going to be studying law at Durham

I've added you in.
Cheers mate. :biggrin:
hey im frantically swotting alevel law cos i dono anything. does anyone know what module 4 of aqa law is?
Try www.lawteacher.net - its a really good site. It has all the notes for most of the exam boards. More than enough info than needed really.
Reply 186
miss_piddles
Try www.lawteacher.net - its a really good site. It has all the notes for most of the exam boards. More than enough info than needed really.

Although it is a tad out of date. Last time I visited it said that the Home Secretary has the last word on recommendation for prison sentence with respect to lifers. This was abolished some time ago. Also doesn't have Dietschmann [2003] when it was decided in the Lords.

So to keep up to date for A level I'd recommend http://www.lawreports.co.uk

It is a good site though, wouldn't use it for LLB though.
Sign me up please, I would very much like to join UKL Law Soc!!
Reply 188
hellokitty2
Sign me up please, I would very much like to join UKL Law Soc!!

That was quick! :wink:
NDGAARONDI
That was quick! :wink:

ooh is your post count showing your true indentity? lol (it's at 666 right now).

Anyway, anyone have any views on what makes a good non-law degree before doing the conversion? I'm going to do politics and then the conversion, is politics a good non-law degree? Also, is anyone planning to do the conversion- where and what are you going to study?
Reply 190
young_free
ooh is your post count showing your true indentity? lol (it's at 666 right now).

Anyway, anyone have any views on what makes a good non-law degree before doing the conversion? I'm going to do politics and then the conversion, is politics a good non-law degree? Also, is anyone planning to do the conversion- where and what are you going to study?

You could also try history but politics is better suited. The reason why I'd say history is because of the skills involved, but having said that on the similar basis you could also opt for geography. Try doing a course which has more British rather than international or European material, as these latter two will be of less use to you when you study for the CPE.

Another alternative is to study a combined honours for law and government and politics which is also a qualifying law degree. Combined degree courses with law such as with politics and criminology tend to deman fewer UCAS points if that has any bearings to your decision.

I think my post count is 666 now :biggrin:

*Iron Maiden song in the background :tongue: *
Reply 191
Misbah Imtiaz
I'd say that a Politics degree will hold you in good stead for a conversion. Law and Politics are often linked together anyway. :smile:
I was thinking of doing Politics first, but I never studied it at A Level - so I decided to do Law. :biggrin:

AS politics is more linked to law than the A2 part. Even the synoptic to the A2 for government and politics is quite basic in terms of constitutional and administrative law.

You see I have had the pleasure of studying both of them :biggrin:

If you become involved in politics and join a political party and become an active participant, this may help skills you may need for law, such as giving speeches (useful for advocacy) and other presentation skills, as well as gaining confidence to start of with these too.
Reply 192
NDGAARONDI
AS politics is more linked to law than the A2 part. Even the synoptic to the A2 for government and politics is quite basic in terms of constitutional and administrative law.

You see I have had the pleasure of studying both of them :biggrin:

If you become involved in politics and join a political party and become an active participant, this may help skills you may need for law, such as giving speeches (useful for advocacy) and other presentation skills, as well as gaining confidence to start of with these too.

Or just get a part time job in sales.
Reply 193
Hi, not sure if anyone was interested in my earlier post sometime last week about Race and Diversity, but like I mentioned in the post it's a particular interest of mine and Ive worked on a Research Project on it.

But I was wondering if anyone just watched the Secret Agent programme on BBC1, and further to that Newsnight on BBC 2 afterwards.

I watched both, and really I found it shocking. For those that didnt watch it and have been hibernating today and not heard it on the news, it was a programme that filmed the BNP secretly for 6 months, pretty similar to the Secret Policeman. The programme was based in W Yorkshire, which happens to be where I reside.

Seriously the things that were said were shocking and disturbing. Nick Griffin the leader of the BNP committed incitement to racial hatred, then again all of them did. Then another confessed and well bragged about beating up an Asian during the Bradford riots 3 years ago, but he was never prosecuted. Then another man bragged about buying a book on how to make home made bombs and how he would love to make one to blow up all the mosques in Bradford, then another man said he wanted to shoot all 'Pakis', which he repeated a good 20 times.

Listening to Nick Griffin on Newsnight was interesting as well, he had no remorse what so ever, he said he was supposedly practising his right to free speech, and well he welcomed any prosecution under the Law but said that the law was an ass.

Really I want to know what other people think, and whether they support the BNP's views and what they think should be done i.e. as to whether they should be prosecuted and to whether they should be allowed to be a political party. Nick Griffin argued that the members of the BNP exposed in the programme had been kicked out, and were only a few bad apples, I think differently.

What is scary actually is that in 2002 the BNP only had 3 council seats in the country but they now have over that (4) in Bradford alone and 21 in total in the country.

Open to any discussion/debate/opinions, if any.

As you can see this is something I'm somewhat interested in :wink:
Reply 194
Reply 195
bahar
What is scary actually is that in 2002 the BNP only had 3 council seats in the country but they now have over that (4) in Bradford alone and 21 in total in the country.

Open to any discussion/debate/opinions, if any.

One solution is to change the electoral system to something more proportional. At the moment although they have increased in size, they exercise no real political power. They act more like a pressure group than anything else.
Reply 196
Well I agree entirely that it the BNP will never really gain an political power (well one would hope really). It's really what you said about being a pressure group that is the concern. However much we like the deny it, the BNP are influencing people in a way to stir up racial AND religious hatred, both of which are criminal offences that hold a maximum of 7 years imprisonment if I am correct.

Yes the BNP and its followers have a right to free speech, however I believe they should be unequivocally denied that right with behaviour as seen in the programme. Both their actions and statements were threatening particularly to Muslims and furthermore to people of Pakistani origin. So really I would conclude on saying that even though they may not be a political power, they do have power and influence over others, whether it be 10 or 10 000, it's something we should be controlling.
Reply 197
bahar
Well I agree entirely that it the BNP will never really gain an political power (well one would hope really). It's really what you said about being a pressure group that is the concern. However much we like the deny it, the BNP are influencing people in a way to stir up racial AND religious hatred, both of which are criminal offences that hold a maximum of 7 years imprisonment if I am correct.

Yes the BNP and its followers have a right to free speech, however I believe they should be unequivocally denied that right with behaviour as seen in the programme. Both their actions and statements were threatening particularly to Muslims and furthermore to people of Pakistani origin. So really I would conclude on saying that even though they may not be a political power, they do have power and influence over others, whether it be 10 or 10 000, it's something we should be controlling.

Yes we agree. But how do you think it can be resolved? I believe the government is at soem fault here and should make up for their part.
Reply 198
Resolution on such a matter is a difficult one. I agree the Government is partly to blame, on letting such a group firstly form as a political party and secondly to be able to influence people.

My opinions on tackling the BNP are quite vague, because it's a difficult matter. Really I think the important issue to consider from the BNP is to try and limit the control and influence over our young generation. Without sounding cliched, I have personally seen and experienced the influence that they are having, particularly through the opinions held by their parents which in turn have been influenced by the BNP.

Without boring everyone, I actually worked as a Research Assistant on a Project along similar lines. I was working in York, which some may know has prominently white Anglo-Saxon population. I was amazed at the attitudes towards Muslims and Arabs within the schools. These children ranged between 14 and 17, and their attitudes were largely narrow-minded, with acute similarities seen within the BNP. Although there are classes such as Citizenship and such, many of which I went into, very few of the students had such multicultural views. The research was an eye-opener for me, I was surprised by how influenced they all were by the media, and trust me more than one person thought that everything on the TV was categorically true. So really I think the Government has a tough job on their hands to try to educate and broaden the attitudes of our schoolchildren.

Not really sure what can be done directly about the BNP, probably very little, I think it's more the factors surrounding it that need to be addressed by the Government. It's everything else that has to be stepped up a notch, like work within the communities etc. And really legislation isn't and can't do a great deal, we can have the law in place, but upholding justice is something completely different.
Reply 199
I'd like to join, please sign me up.

Latest

Trending

Trending