The Student Room Group

A-level Revelations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by orderofthelotus
Also I noticed all your choices are those undergraduate masters things that I don’t know what to call - are you planning to do a PhD?

Don't know, I'll decide later. I do want some sort of science-related job that isn't academia (although I guess that's still an option). So a master's would help.
Original post by Sinnoh
Don't know, I'll decide later. I do want some sort of science-related job that isn't academia (although I guess that's still an option). So a master's would help.

🅱️retty gud
Oooooh add me to the tag list pls!
Reply 43
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Oooooh add me to the tag list pls!

Done :h:
Reply 44
Alright listen up I'm actually doing an update here :awesome: :zomg:

So I got an A in my astronomy GCSE. That's cool. Means I have to go back and edit the OP, whilst getting rid of all the extra lines that get added every time you go to edit the thing asdfghjkl

But what did I get in the great test of general academic productivity - i.e. was I a lazy f**ker these past few weeks?
I don't even know. I think I put more effort into preparing this thread than I put into my personal statement writing these past few days. Not to say I haven't worked.

Well, I started making notes for this last Friday so here it is.

I've more or less finalised the lists of unis I'm going to apply for and visit. I booked Birmingham and Southampton for the 15th and 8th of next month, respectively. Booking isn't open for Warwick, those late b*****ds have theirs on the 6th of October. Why not on the 22nd of September, when my school forces everyone to be there for some long assembly?

Anyway I revised an hour of physics on Friday. I see that as a day's work. Unfortunately.

I wrote 1100 or so characters on my personal statement on Saturday. Went to the library again, didn't realise that it was Saturday so waited like some massive swot/hipster outside the library café for 15 minutes before it opened.

Sunday (not that the days of the week mean anything when I'm on holiday) I did another hour of physics. I'm surprised how much I have remembered though. This is the first time I've actually revised this summer. I also did a little bit of planning for an article I'm planning on writing for my school's history magazine. Because I'm so insecure over my PS I'm trying to make it on the Space Race so I have a really vague link to physics. Joy. I finalised the title for it on Tuesday, I think I'm gonna talk about the changing motivations for it. Because they definitely changed.

So on Monday I realised I should put an effort into maths as well because integration's pretty hard, so I did. A full two sides of A4.

Tuesday I thought "Maybe I'll do some of the things I actually really do need to do this summer, like preparing for my history coursework and writing that article". So I actually wrote a short paragraph of that article, which doesn't mention anything of what I actually want to talk about. Then I did some more maths.

On Wednesday I did some maths. Again. I'm like a ****ing heroin addict with this. I know I shouldn't be doing it and the rational part of my brain doesn't want to do it but anything's better than rereading my pretentious and boring PS. IT STILL HAS TO BE DONE.

So yeah, that's the state of me. A borderline maths addict who does it to feel productive. I'm not doing maths today, instead I'm teaching it to one of my friends. Maybe I'll flip a coin to decide between working on my personal statement and working on my coursework. If I'm lucky the coin will explode and kill me.

Have a good week everyone. If you're getting results, congratulations

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
well done!!

ugh the pain of editing, i’m always changing fonts sizes and colours and before you know it i’ve got 16 extra lines :laugh:
this is actually entertaining :cookie:
Maths is the only thing that's going to atrophy over the summer so it's fine to do that
you're enjoying the maths:lol:
you've got a fair amount of work done i wouldn't worry too much:yes:
TOTALLY RELATE with the whole editing thing! The extra lines, the unpredictable images that turn into attachment hyperlinks, the post sometimes freezing because there's too much text!! TSR really need to add 'save draft' and 'restore' options!

Wow sounds like you've been sooo productive, really jealous because I find it so hard to be :colondollar:
totally relate with the lazy stuff. I haven't touched a bit of work since last week :tongue:
Reply 51
ASDFGHJKL IT'S DONE, 3400 CHARACTERS (a bit more actually) AND 44 LINES

I'm not looking at it until at least next monday or something - I need an objective perspective on it when I send it to the wonderful reviewers of TSR who are surely getting but a glimpse of the misery that awaits admissions tutors
Ooo tag me!
Reply 53
Original post by pinkypaz123
Ooo tag me!

will be doing
Original post by Sinnoh
Things that need doing:
[ul]
[li]Revision of Year 12 content. I haven't done any.[/li]
[li]Preparatory reading for History coursework that begins in September (Haven't decided on the title)[/li]
[li]My personal statement needs starting. I've read two books but I need to finish one.[/li]
[/ul]

Sounds great!
I need to START reading some books for my personal statement !!! OMG!

regarding history... What do you do? What is your coursework on? Mine is on the Holocaust.

Thanks
Reply 55
Original post by Ariel2611
Sounds great!

regarding history... What do you do? What is your coursework on? Mine is on the Holocaust.

Thanks

We do civil rights in the USA from 1865-1990, the Tudors 1547-1603 and Russia 1890-1941. I'm trying to decide between two topics for my coursework, both on the October Revolution. One is
"Assess the view that the failures of the Provisional Government made possible the October Revolution of 1917"
and
"To what extent was the October Revolution of 1917 a Bolshevik coup?"
So I basically went through a book I'd bought and my textbook and picked out the arguments that were being made regarding those topics. Not done yet though.

As for books, I'm only reading them so I can show that I'm interested enough to read them and know what's going on. I didn't mention one of them at all in my most recent draft.
Original post by Sinnoh
ASDFGHJKL IT'S DONE, 3400 CHARACTERS (a bit more actually) AND 44 LINES

I'm not looking at it until at least next monday or something - I need an objective perspective on it when I send it to the wonderful reviewers of TSR who are surely getting but a glimpse of the misery that awaits admissions tutors

Yayyyy!!! :woo:

Original post by Ariel2611

Honestly same... :emo:
Reply 57
Alright update #2 let's gothere's no way in hell this will be weekly

Thursday 23/8 was GCSE results day so I spent a lot of time on TSR either telling people to stop humblebragging, stop thinking that their GCSEs granted them an instant pass to Oxford or telling them their only option was to retake English and Maths.
Buuuut that wasn't all I did. Actually one of my more productive days. I taught proof by contradiction to a friend over Discord which also served as revision for me. Seriously, if you can't do something, teach it, then you'll definitely be able.
And that's not all I also did the only serious preparation for my history coursework that I've done all holiday. Yesterday I found the sheet we were given about coursework, we have to include at least 12 primary sources. F**K!!!

Friday 24/8 I made serious progress on my coursework and now I think I'm -
nah I just did more maths. Differential equations though, so it was good to review those.

Tuesday 28/8 (I don't think I did anything over the weekend or on Monday, I knew my new year's resolution would go to sh*t during the summer) I went to the library, and rather than trying to amputate the ugly parts off my **** draft of a PS, I just wrote up a whole extra one in an hour and a half using the old one as a base. I didn't once mention Physics of the Future which is a book I bought basically just for this. Misleading title. It's not about physics, for ****s sake. Do not recommend. Actually if you're going for electrical or biomedical engineering, definitely recommend.
But yeah, 3400+ characters and 44 lines including line breaks. I could make it longer and I might. But I'm not looking at it again until next week. I need that objective retrospective look back.

Wednesday 29/8 was the day I stayed the f**k off reddit, TSR, Discord and my laptop. I should do that once a month because I got a fair amount of stuff done. I did about an hour and a half of chapter 10 mechanics (forces and objects and s**t) and then I made a kind of cheat sheet for the connected particles questions in mechanics, because the textbook really does an awful job at explaining it. Here it is though

Side note all you lot posting pictures of your immaculate desks and I'm just sitting in this.
Yes that's a second laptop on the right. It's a piece of crap. The hinge is broken. Had it 4 years.
(edited 5 years ago)
:woo: productive-ness:rave: go team go
welp your desk is still much neater than mine, I can’t work on mine it’s so messy:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending