The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I, II, III 1997 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Looks like we only have II/5 and III/8 to go then.
I've looked at them and can't do either, so I've started STEP I 1996, and have typed up 3, 7 and 8 so far.
EDIT: + II/2&8
Reply 41
Speleo
Looks like we only have II/5 and III/8 to go then.
I've looked at them and can't do either, so I've started STEP I 1996, and have typed up 3, 7 and 8 so far.
EDIT: + II/2&8

I've done STEP II Q1 & Q4 1996 also.
Speleo
Looks like we only have II/5 and III/8 to go then.I know how to do them, only question is if I can find the time.
1997 III, Q5 (finally):

Wlog, the wheel has radius 1. Let the angle turned through be t. If the wheel wasn't rolling, the position of a point on the rim is (-sin t, 1-cos t). As the wheel is rolling, we have to add t to the x coord to get (t-sin t, 1 - cos t).

Distance travelled by point on rim =

02π(dxdt)2+(dydt)2dt=02π(1cost)2+sin2tdt\int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2} dt = \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{(1-\cos t)^2+\sin^2 t} dt

=02π22costdt=202π12(1cost)dt= \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{2 - 2 \cos t} dt = 2 \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos t)} dt

=202πsin2t2dt=202πsint2dt= 2 \int_0^{2\pi}\sqrt{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}}\, dt = 2 \int_0^{2\pi} |\sin \frac{t}{2}| dt

(note that we must take the positive root).

This = 202πsint2dt=4[cost2]02π=8.2\int_0^{2\pi} \sin \frac{t}{2} dt = -4[ \cos \frac{t}{2}]_0^{2\pi} = 8.

(N.B. Corrections due to ukgea's post below...)

Distance traveled by center = 2 pi. So ratio is π/4\pi / 4.

[OK, what have I missed? Far, far too easy for STEP III]
Reply 44
Shouldn't it be

=02π2sin2t2dt=\displaystyle = \int_0^{2\pi} 2\sqrt{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}}dt = \cdots

which gives the final answer π/16\pi/16 instead? Other than that, it looks correct. I guess the hard part is realising that the wheel is moving with a speed ωr\omega r or something like that. And the fact that the integral will look more intimidating if you don't assume ω=r=1\omega = r = 1 as you have done. But yes, it seems rather easy.

Edit: Oh now I realise t doesn't mean time, but angle. My integrals have t = time and consequently a lot of ω\omegas floating around. Nifty. Never mind the part about ω\omega then.
1997 III, Q6:

If x=cosθx = \cos \theta then ddθ=dxdθddx=sinθddx\frac{d}{d\theta} = \frac{dx}{d\theta}\frac{d}{dx} = -\sin \theta \frac{d}{dx}.

So dyndθ=sinθdyndx,d2yndθ2=sin2θd2yndx2cosθdyndx=(1x2)d2yndx2xdyndx\displaystyle \frac{dy_n}{d\theta} = - \sin \theta \frac{dy_n}{dx}, \frac{d^2y_n}{d\theta^2} = \sin^2 \theta \frac{d^2y_n}{dx^2} - cos\theta \frac{dy_n}{dx} = (1-x^2)\frac{d^2y_n}{dx^2} - x \frac{dy_n}{dx}

So d2yndθ2+n2yn=0\displaystyle \frac{d^2y_n}{d\theta^2} + n^2 y_n = 0 as desired.

This has general solution yn=Ancosnθ+Bnsinnθy_n = A_n \cos n\theta + B_n \sin n\theta.

yn(1)=1    yn(cos0)=1    An=1y_n(1) = 1 \implies y_n(\cos 0) = 1 \implies A_n = 1.

To use the 2nd boundary condition, observe cosθ=cos(πθ)-\cos \theta = \cos(\pi - \theta) and so we have:

cosnθ+Bnsinnθ=(1)n(cosn(πθ)+sinn(πθ)) \cos n\theta + B_n \sin n\theta = (-1)^n (\cos n(\pi-\theta) + \sin n(\pi-\theta))
RHS=(1)n(cosnπcosnθcosnπsinnθ)=cosnθBnsinnθRHS = (-1)^n(\cos n\pi \cos n\theta -\cos n\pi \sin n\theta) = \cos n\theta - B_n \sin n\theta and so Bn=0B_n = 0.

So yn=cosnθy_n = \cos n \theta (which is also cos(narccosx)\cos(n \arccos x)). Finally, we need to show:

cos(n+1)θ2cosθcosnθ+cos(n1)θ=0 \cos(n+1)\theta - 2\cos \theta \cos n\theta + cos(n-1)\theta = 0.
But cos(n+1)θ=cosnθcosθsinnθsinθ,cos(n1)θ=cosnθcosθ+sinnθsinθ\cos(n+1)\theta = \cos n\theta \cos \theta - \sin n \theta \sin \theta, \cos(n-1)\theta = \cos n\theta \cos \theta + \sin n \theta \sin \theta, hence result.
Reply 46
Question 6, STEP III 1997

(1)dyndx=dyndθ×dθdx=dyndθ×1sinθ\\ \displaystyle \frac{dy_{n}}{dx} = \frac{dy_{n}}{d\theta}\times \frac{d\theta}{dx}\\ =\frac{dy_{n}}{d\theta}\times\frac{1}{-\sin\theta}

Differentiate (1) to get (2):
d2yndx2=d2yndθ2×1sin2θdyndθ×cosθsin3θ\displaystyle \frac{d^{2}y_{n}}{dx^2}=\frac{d^{2}y_{n}}{d\theta^2}\times\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}-\frac{dy_{n}}{d\theta}\times\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin^3\theta}

Substitute (1), (2) and x=cosθx=\cos\theta into (1x2)d2yndx2xdyndx+n2yn=0\displaystyle (1-x^2)\frac{d^{2}y_{n}}{dx^2}-x\frac{dy_{n}}{dx}+n^2y_{n}=0 to get d2ydθ2+n2yn=0 as required \displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{d\theta^2}+n^2y_{n}=0\text{ as required }

The general solution of this linear homogeneous second order differential equation is yn(θ)=Acosnθ+Bsinnθy_{n}(\theta)=A\cos n\theta+B\sin n\theta We are given y(1)=1, hence after the tranformation of x=cosθx=\cos\theta above, we have the boundary condition y(0)=1 which results in A=1. Furthermore, we are given yn(x)=(1)nyn(x)y_{n}(x)=(-1)^ny_{n}(-x) which really means that yn(x)y_{n}(x) is an even function when n is either 0 or even. And that it's an odd function when n is odd. But after the substitution of x=cosθx=\cos\theta, yn(θ)y_{n}(\theta) becomes an even function for all n since cosine is an even function.

We have yn(θ)=Acosnθ+Bsinnθyn(θ)=AcosnθBsinnθ\\y_{n}(\theta)=A\cos n\theta+B\sin n\theta\\y_{n}(-\theta)=A\cos n\theta-B\sin n\theta which can only be even for all n when B=0
yn(θ)=cosnθ\therefore y_{n}(\theta)=\cos n\theta and yn(x)=cos(narccosx)y_{n}(x)=\cos (n\arccos x) for x1|x|\leq1

It follows that y0(x)=cos0=1y_{0}(x)=\cos 0 =1 and y1(x)=cos(arccosx)=xy_{1}(x)=\cos(\arccos x)=x as required.

yn(x)=cos(narccosx)yn1(x)=cos{(narccosx)(arccosx)}yn+1(x)=cos{(narccosx)+(arccosx)}\\y_{n}(x)=\cos (n\arccos x)\\y_{n-1}(x)=\cos\{(n\arccos x)-(\arccos x)\}\\y_{n+1}(x)=\cos\{(n\arccos x)+(\arccos x)\}

Upon expanding with Trigonometric Addition Formulas and adding yn+1(x)y_{n+1}(x) and yn1(x)y_{n-1}(x):

yn+1(x)+yn1(x)=2xcos(narccosx)yn+1(x)+yn1(x)=2xyn(x)yn+1(x)2xyn(x)+yn1(x)=0\\y_{n+1}(x)+y_{n-1}(x)=2x\cos (n\arccos x)\\y_{n+1}(x)+y_{n-1}(x)=2xy_{n}(x)\\y_{n+1}(x)-2xy_{n}(x)+y_{n-1}(x)=0
as shown.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't know Dfranklin was doing this question
ukgea
Shouldn't it be

=02π2sin2t2dt=\displaystyle = \int_0^{2\pi} 2\sqrt{\sin^2 \frac{t}{2}}dt = \cdots

which gives the final answer π/16\pi/16 instead? I think you're right about the trig identity (that will teach me to do the question straight into Latex instead of paper), but I don't think it actually affects the final answer; my integral is 4 times more "squashed in x" that it should be, but it repeats 4 times in the interval, so it evens out.
Reply 48
DFranklin
I think you're right about the trig identity (that will teach me to do the question straight into Latex instead of paper), but I don't think it actually affects the final answer; my integral is 4 times more "squashed in x" that it should be, but it repeats 4 times in the interval, so it evens out.

Err, you're right. I forgot about the limits. :smile:
Reply 49
STEP III

Q8.
(I'm using 'q' for alpha, and t for theta.)

(i)
If we just carry out the multiplication, we'll find that the off-diagonals are the same. If we equate either to zero, we get the following equation:
-asin(q)cos(q) + bcos^2(q) - bsin^2(q) + ccos(q)sin(q) = 0
=> (c-a)sin(q)cos(q) + b(cos^2(q) - sin^2(q)) = 0
=> (c-a)sin(2q)/2 + bcos(2q) = 0
=> tan(2q) = 2b/(a-c)
=> q = 1/2 arctan(2b/(a-c))

(ii)
Let's expand the equation of the ellipse:
x^2 + y^2 + 4xy cot(2t) + 4x^2 cot^2(2t) = 1

And also, let's expand the matrix equation:
ax^2 + 2bxy + cy^2 = 1

Now let's equate coefficients:
a = 1 + 4cot^2(2t)
b = 2cot(2t)
c = 1

So we have what A looks like in this case.

If it's diagonal, then:
q = 1/2 arctan(2b/(a-c))
= 1/2 arctan(4cot(2t)/4cot^2(2t))
= 1/2 arctan(1/cot(2t))
= 1/2 arctan(tan(2t))
= t, as required.

Let's go back to the R(-q) A R(q) we found in the first part of the question. Here we need to replace a,b,c with our new values, and q with t. We find, upon simplification, that the non-diagonal elements are (respecitvely, top left and bottom right):
cot^2(t)
tan^2(t)

(iii) What R(-q) A R(q) does is shift the xy-axes into x'y'-axes so that they align with the major and minor axes of the ellipse. Let's write down the new equation of the ellipse (using the matrix equation in part (ii), but using R(-q) A R(q) instead of A; and (x', y') instead of (x, y), to emphasise the coordinate switch):
(x')^2 cot^2(t) + (y')^2 tan^2(t) = 1

Here, the minor axis has length tan(t) and the major axis has length cot(t). Done.
---------------------

I hope it's OK that I left out most of the calculations and simplifications. It would've taken too much time to TeX/type them up.
Reply 50
STEP II

Q5.

If z = ie, then if we equate real and imaginary parts of the equation z = e^w we get:
e^u cos(v) = 0
e^u sin(v) = e

Since e^u > 0, then cos(v) = 0 and thus v = pi/2 + kpi. Whence e^u = e, and so u=1. That is,
w = 1 + i(pi/2 + kpi)

If u is constant, say u=c, then
x + iy = e^c cos(v) + i e^c sin(v)
=> x/e^c = cos(v) and y/e^c = sin(v)

Thus
x^2 + y^2 = e^(2c)

So the corresponding locus in the x-y plane is simply a circle centered at the origin of radius e^c.

On the other hand, if v is constant, say v=k, then
x + iy = e^u cos(k) + i e^(u) sin(k)
=> x/cos(k) = e^(u) = y/sin(k)

Thus
y = tan(k) x

That is, the corresponding locus in the x-y plane is a straight line through the origin of gradient tan(k), i.e. it makes an angle of k with the positive x-axis.

So, for the last bit, the following subsets do the trick:
W_1 = { (u,v) : u in R, 0 < v < pi/2 }
W_2 = { (u,v) : u in R, 2pi < v < 5pi/2 }
W_3 = { (u,v) : u < 0, 0 <= v < 2pi }
W_4 = { (u,v) : u < 0, 2pi <= 0 < 4pi }

(W_3 and W_4 correction due to DFranklin - see post below. Originally I split the set {(u,v) : u<0, v in R} incorrectly.)
I'd just ground through these last two and now I see you've done them!

Did you find any "nice" way of finding the diagonal elements in III/8? I couldn't find one, and did it as a pure trig algebra grind, reducing everything to sin and cos, and it was really really nasty. It didn't seem remotely feasible in a "par" time of 30 minutes.

As far as the complex locus question, I don't think W3, W4 are 1-1.

Don't (1,π),(1,3π),(1,π),(1,3π)(-1, -\pi), (-1, 3\pi), (-1, -\pi), (-1, -3\pi) all map to -1/e?

I think it works if you instead restrict v by:

W3: u<0, 0<=v<2pi
W4: u<0 2pi<=v<4pi.

(basically any disjoint intervals of length 2pi will work, with slight care about end points).

Or am I missing the point?
Reply 52
I think your W_3 and W_4 work. Restricting v to such intervals of length 2pi will make z go around the circle one revolution. I'll edit my post. :smile:

As for III/8, I did what you did. It was a really long question with lots of opportunities for error. I would have definitely skipped it if I were doing this paper.
Whenever i see these STEP papers i can only do about 1 or 2 questions at the most. I feel as if im lacking something knowledge wise all the time. The ones i can attempt are challenging and like them. But some of the solutions people have posted i havent even come across some of the notation in them! Does STEP imply that people doing these read around what they've been taught?
insparato
Whenever i see these STEP papers i can only do about 1 or 2 questions at the most. I feel as if im lacking something knowledge wise all the time. The ones i can attempt are challenging and like them. But some of the solutions people have posted i havent even come across some of the notation in them! Does STEP imply that people doing these read around what they've been taught?
I'm a (long time ago) Cambridge graduate, so you can assume I've read around rather a lot more than most people. I am very rusty though!

I would say STEP I, STEP II only really require what's on the syllabus (though bear in mind I don't know the current syllabi terribly well!), although you do have to be very familiar with everything, particularly all the trig identities etc.

On the other hand, it seems STEP III has a nasty habit of taking a problem that comes up in university maths and rephrasing it, which means those of us with that background tend to "push" the problem towards something we're familiar with, and it is much easier for someone with a lot of background knowledge. (I think this is less true in recent years for STEP III).

As far as notation goes, post a question here and we'll try and explain it. The only "esoteric" notation I've noticed was my fault! I ended up using the \prod symbol in one question - I wouldn't have done so writing by hand, but it seemed easier given forum constraints.

But \prod this is basically the same as \sum only for products. e.g.

i=15i=12345=120\prod_{i=1}^5 i = 1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot 4 \cdot 5 = 120

i=1Ni=N!\prod_{i=1}^N i = N!

As far as finding it difficult - only being able to do 1 or 2 questions a paper is completely normal at first (in fact, I'd say it's pretty good going). Practice does make a huge difference.
Reply 55
Well. I think I am guilty of reading around the subject, where reading around generally means reading through interesting bits off wikipedia and mathworld, and using those to read about terminology and methods and other stuff that I encounter here on these forums or elsewhere which I don't know. I feel I have the basic skills to solve most of the pure questions in STEP I and II (but usually for statistics at least I need to look stuff up), whereas STEP III is more about "look through the paper", "eliminate the questions that are on topics I obviously don't know", "eliminate the questions that obviously need methods that I don't know" and then try to solve the 3 or 4 remaining. Fortunately, I only have to do STEP I and STEP II for my Cambridge offer.

The issue I'm having is more about time, when working at home, I can solve most of the questions after a while, but I'm not confident that I can solve and write solutions to four of them in three hours. But I guess that's where practice comes in...

And oh, I'm definitely guilty of abusing the \prod symbol (in my solution to Q3 STEP II in the 1998 thread), though I was actually taught the symbol in school (only very very briefly in passing when being introduced to the \sum symbol, but taught the symbol nevertheless). Then, again, I realise that you'll most probably have to read my solution on that question through a lot of times before you understand what those product symbols actually mean, but I mean, meh, who cares? :p: Using them removes any sort of ambiguity, yes, it removes any sort of intelligibility as well, but you have to make sacrifices, don't you...
Reply 56
Reading through, I find myself writing stuff like (in the attached pdf file in my post on Q12, STEP I 1998)

P(5X5Y)P(5|X \cap 5|Y)

which might be a little esoteric as well.

Basically '|' means divides, and the \cap symbol means AND, and so the whole above code means

"the probability that both X and Y are divisble by five"

Oh and \cup similary means OR, which I have used as well on that question.

And then, in that solution, I've used the fact that

P(ABC)=P(A)+P(B)+P(C)P(AB)P(BC)P(CA)+P(ABC)P(A \cup B \cup C) = P(A) + P(B) + P(C) - P(A \cap B) - P(B \cap C) - P(C \cap A) + P(A \cap B \cap C)

for any random events A, B, C, which is called the Inclusion-Exclusion principle. I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to used it without proof on STEP though, but it's rather easy to see that this holds by drawing a Venn diagram.

Ask if there's any other unintelligible stuff around!
I havent applied to any mathematics courses. I just rather enjoy maths and STEP questions are challenging, so i dont read around the subject, i learn whats in the text books and thats about it. If i had applied to do mathematics god id hate to do STEP. From someone who doesnt have to do it, i like the papers in an odd way. But i think everything seems more enjoyable and less daunting when you dont have to do it as part of your academic career.

I think STEP from what ive read and read abit on Stephen Siklos(I actually met the man himself! He's at Jesus College which is where i applied he was doing a presentation and i chatted to him before it) massive document about STEP and how to bridge it. It is a bridge been a level and university maths. Im definitely going to keep up doing mathematics beyond a level so i think its wise that i have a crack at STEP, before attempting anything above for the moment.

I can do 3 questions on STEP I 1995 (yay)
Reply 58
Is somebody going to make a 1996 thread?
Lusus Naturae
Is somebody going to make a 1996 thread?

I shall, in the style of Ukgea's one(I like it better than my own :biggrin:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending