The Student Room Group

A-level Revelations

Scroll to see replies

Sleep well :hugs:
Reply 301
Mama, oooooooh - Update #17

Howdy. Welcome to part 17 of wishing I wasn’t so lazy. To the left of me is my maths folder and statistics textbook, unopened.

Good stuff I did this week: agree to the recital last Friday, chat with grandparents when they came over, edit my history article to make it a bit more readable.

Worse things I did this week: fail to do any revision at home during weekdays, including progress on my coursework.

Things that need doing every week:

French I did do a very small amount. But I did more last week and the lesson was off then so it’s alright.

Guitar my lesson was off on Sunday but I didn’t do much practice since Sunday.

Reading I started “The Thinking Life” by P. M. Forni although whether I bother to finish it remains to be seen. These self-help books are all well and good but tend to be kind of incompatible with still being at school.

Subjects:

Maths We started Vectors in pure, which has been not too easy but not that hard either. In stats we’re on to testing the test, so to speak Type I and Type II errors, power and size of tests, all that. The one place I’m hazy on is calculating Type II errors and I am yet to sit down and do a series of questions from this chapter. And since this is the last chapter, I guess I can give a sort of retrospective on the book as a whole: it’s an improvement from A-level stats. I think the real-world application is a lot more obvious, the maths a bit more interesting. Except probability generating functions, they can still **** off.

Physics Miserably failed a required practical on gases, carried on with doing capacitance questions and getting the maths in it nailed down. We should be on to radioactivity pretty soon and I hope we’ll finish with capacitance soon. It’s not that interesting and the fact that my teacher draws circuits in conventional current makes me die inside and really screws things up when he’s also talking about the flow of electrons in the circuit.

History Finally finished labour & trade unions. Had a timed essay on Wednesday that I couldn’t finish despite almost writing non-stop. I need to try to cut down on word count, even though I have this reputation in my class for getting the highest marks with the least writing.
I managed to do a nice bit of work on my coursework over the weekend, but I didn't do anything else past that. Well, it's something.

I got to play a little 10 minute recital last Friday to test some new music programm

Other stuff
History article: Meetings have been fun. I had a bit of a panic over the state of my article so I re-wrote it in a free period and re-sent it.

Highlight of the week: Two of us singing Bohemian Rhapsody in maths for no reason at all

Question of the week: What's a better cover photo for a history magazine, this one or this one

Song of the week:
Erm, whilst it would make sense to put it as Bohemian Rhapsody given what happened in the maths lesson, you gotta save it for later. So here's one I've a actually been listening to.

If on app, https://youtu.be/pHNbHn3i9S4

tags

Reply 302
Oh and no word from unis since the last update. Fitz will probably respond tomorrow though.
agreed, self-help books just aren't very relevant to students (who probably need a lot of self-help)
both of those photos are good, although I would expect the one on the left to be in a science journal or something rather than a history magazine
hope you hear from fitz soon
second photo:yes:
Why did you choose physics over aerospace engineering? I've applied for aero :smile:
Reply 306
Original post by Hannmariex
Why did you choose physics over aerospace engineering? I've applied for aero :smile:

I was more certain that I was interested in physics than engineering. Plus I could still get into engineering after
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 307
Still no word back from Fitz!!
Original post by Sinnoh
Still no word back from Fitz!!

Do they have provisional dates on their college website? They're really leaving their interview invites late...
Original post by nyxnko_
Do they have provisional dates on their college website? They're really leaving their interview invites late...

I've half a mind to just go and ask someone
Original post by yolkie
I've half a mind to just go and ask someone

Will probably be worth it :yes:
Reply 311
Bye bye Cambridge!!
Original post by Sinnoh
Bye bye Cambridge!!

:cry2:
Original post by Sinnoh
Bye bye Cambridge!!

:sad:
Reply 314
Pathetic Fallacy - Update #18

I checked Track this morning during break and found that I'd been rejected from Cambridge. Fitz are so slow that I still haven't received an email though. But it's pre-interview. That's the kicker for me - if it had been after the interview, then fair, but this comes as a bit of a slap in the face. I didn't do that badly on the NSAA did I? A lot of my friends and teachers were really hopeful - I thought an interview was in the bag.
I said quite a few times, "If they were going to reject me they'd have done so by now". Whoops.

If I don't get an email from Fitz today confirming this I'll send them an email tomorrow, but I probably shouldn't get my hopes up. But it's been more than 5 hours since Track was updated...

So now I'm thinking a bit about what happens next.
If I get an offer from Imperial, then great, I'll take it. If I don't, I may well withdraw and re-apply next year. I think I can achieve my predicted grades (or at least close to them) and if it's an opportunity to maybe get lucky next year, I'll take it.

So this is a sort of "End of Act I" situation. That part of the school year is done with and I'll have to set my sights elsewhere.

Anyway, I'd decided I'd post the next update when I heard back. So here's the usual stuff.

I completely didn't bother to type up any notes about what happened, like I'd done in previous posts. So this might be a vague mess.

Stuff that needs doing every week:
French - the usual half-hour of work before the lesson. I'm getting through it, but I'm really glad I dropped down from doing the full A-level to just the AS.

Guitar - Been slowly learning Vals en Skai by Roland Dyens. Good tune. I'll also be performing next Monday.

Reading - Started reading "Down and out in Paris and London" by George Orwell. It's interesting, pretty funny at times. I thought it was a novel at first but nope.

Subjects:

Maths - We've finished further stats! And we've only two chapters of further mechanics to do and they're not that bad either. Vectors in pure maths has proven to be unexpectedly in-depth, I think I underestimated it at first. We're way ahead of schedule with this subject anyway, so I have time to go over it. I also spent an hour teaching the sequences and series chapter to a friend. This is actually working quite well - I don't need to revise A-level maths as much because over the course of the year I'm teaching it to people doing single maths :biggrin:
Oh, we had a test on geometric distribution and negative binomial distribution and I got 100%, which is cool.

Physics - Somehow we're still on capacitance!! We spent an entire lesson on Kahoot as well and that really was not my day. Actually, not true, I ended up winning. But I had a streak of mistakes. We haven't moved on from gases either. What is new is that we have back-to-back tests on Friday. We got told about one of them today. Alright, thanks for the advance notice...

History (Civil rights) - We've moved on to the detailed notes - in preparing for how to answer the 30-mark passage analysis questions on the paper, we've got to look at the historical debate. It's even interestinger :smile:
I got full marks in a timed essay too! Even though I didn't finish it.

History (Russia) - I love these lessons, so much. I've not done enough work for my coursework, but just chatting about random things and it's such an interesting topic as well. Lenin's a right character.
Also we're on to the October Revolution, so it will be helpful for my coursework if I pay attention :tongue:

Other stuff:

Highlight of the week: Discussing the word "c**t" in our history lesson today. Yes, it was relevant because Lenin would get seriously pissed off when people disagreed with him, as we found out.

Question of the week: When you finish GCSEs/A-levels, what subject are you going to miss the most?

Song of the week: This was one I'd been saving for those important moments this academic year. I really like it and I hope you'll enjoy it. Do listen to the whole thing and at least watch some of it - this is an amazing piece with amazing playing.

For app users: youtu.be/wL4snMJbLks

Thanks everyone.

Tags

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Bye bye Cambridge!!

I'm frankly very surprised by this - can I suggest a quick call/email to Fitz to ask them to clarify your decision... your application (predictions, etc) look spot on, and mistakes, although rare, do happen.

:crossedf:
Reply 316
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm frankly very surprised by this - can I suggest a quick call/email to Fitz to ask them to clarify your decision... your application (predictions, etc) look spot on, and mistakes, although rare, do happen.

:crossedf:

Thanks for the advice (and support on the other thread :smile: )

Do you mean the whole feedback process where they say what went wrong, or just to clarify that they have indeed rejected?

If they don't send an email today I'll definitely contact them tomorrow, because it seems very slightly weird that they still haven't contacted.
ah i'm sorry to hear you got rejected from cambridge:frown:
idk what subject i'd miss the most- maybe maths as i've been doing that subject practically all my school life and i don't think i'm planning to take math beyond a-level.
Original post by Sinnoh
Thanks for the advice (and support on the other thread :smile: )

Do you mean the whole feedback process where they say what went wrong, or just to clarify that they have indeed rejected?

If they don't send an email today I'll definitely contact them tomorrow, because it seems very slightly weird that they still haven't contacted.

The latter, ask them to confirm the decision given your predictions, GCSEs etc. The worst they can say is yup it was correct...

And I suggest you do it sooner rather than later (i.e. now) :crossedf:
Reply 319
Original post by Doonesbury
The latter, ask them to confirm the decision given your predictions, GCSEs etc. The worst they can say is yup it was correct...

And I suggest you do it sooner rather than later (i.e. now) :crossedf:

Alrighty - will do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending