The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

STEP III, 1998, Q9.

I don't know what's in the formula booklet, so I'll start by finding the M.I. of a disc radius r about an axis through its center and perpendicular to its plane.

Let ρ\rho be the mass per unit area, so the mass of the disc is πρr2\pi \rho r^2. Divide the disc into annulae, radius x, width dx. Each annulus has mass 2πρxdx2\pi \rho x dx and so moment of inertia 2πρx3dx2\pi \rho x^3 dx. Thus the disc has M.I. = 0r2πρx3dx=πr4ρ2=ma22\int_0^r 2\pi\rho x^3 dx = \frac{\pi r^4 \rho}{2} = \frac{ma^2}{2}

Now we divide the cone up into discs of thickness dy parallel to the plane of the base. Again, set ρ\rho to be the density. Then the disc at height y has radius ayh\frac{ay}{h} and so has M.I. πρ2(ayh)4dy\frac{\pi \rho}{2} (\frac{ay}{h})^4 dy. Thus the cone has M.I.
0hπρ2(ayh)4dy=πρ2(ah)40hy4dy=πρ10(ah)4h5=ha4πρ10\int_0^h \frac{\pi \rho}{2} (\frac{ay}{h})^4 dy = \frac{\pi \rho}{2} (\frac{a}{h})^4 \int_0^h y^4 dy = \frac{\pi \rho}{10}(\frac{a}{h})^4h^5 = \frac{ha^4\pi\rho}{10}. Since the cone has mass m=πρa2h3m = \frac{\pi\rho a^2h}{3}, the M.I. = 3ma210\frac{3ma^2}{10} as desired.

For the next bit, we're going to need the perpendicular and parallel axis theorems, but they are rather hard to state without diagrams and it's just bookwork. So I won't bother here.

By the perpendicular axis theorem, the M.I. of a disc of mass m and radius r about one of its diameters is mr24\frac{mr^2}{4} (to use the theorem, pick two diameters at right angles).

Then by the parallel axis theorem, if you shift the axis of rotation so that instead of being a diameter, it is the same axis moved by a distance y perpendicular to the plane of the disc, then the new M.I. about that axis is mr24+my2\frac{mr^2}{4}+my^2

Now again, the radius of a disc at a height y from the base is ayh\frac{ay}{h}. Such a disc has mass πρ(yah)2dy\pi \rho (\frac{ya}{h})^2 dy and so it's M.I. about the axis through the apex and parallel to the base is πρ(yah)2[14(yah)2+y2]dy\pi \rho (\frac{ya}{h})^2[\frac{1}{4}(\frac{ya}{h})^2 + y^2]dy.

So the cone's MI about that axis is:

Unparseable latex formula:

I = \displaystyle \int_0^h \pi \rho (\frac{ya}{h})^2[\frac{1}{4}(\frac{ya}{h})^2 + y^2]dy \\[br]= \frac{a^2\pi\rho}{4h^2}\int_0^h (\frac{ya}{h})^2 + y^2)y^2dy\\[br]= \frac{a^2\pi\rho}{4h^2}((\frac{a}{h})^2+4)\int_0^h y^4 dy \\[br]= \frac{a^2\pi\rho}{20h^2}((\frac{a}{h})^2+4)h^5 = \frac{a^2h\pi\rho}{20}(a^2+4h^2)

Since the cone has mass m=πρ3a2hm=\frac{\pi \rho}{3}a^2h we can write I=3m20(a2+4h2)I = \frac{3m}{20}(a^2+4h^2).

For the last part, let θ\theta be the angle of the cone from the vertical, and let LL be the distance of the c.of.g. of the cone from the apex (point of suspension). Then

Iθ¨=mgLsinθI \ddot{\theta} = -mgL \sin \theta.

Putting in our values for I, L, we have:

θ¨=3mgh4203m(a2+4h2)sinθ=5gha2+4h2sinθ5gha2+4h2θ\displaystyle \ddot{\theta} = -\frac{3mgh}{4}\frac{20}{3m(a^2+4h^2)}\sin \theta \\ = -\frac{5gh}{a^2+4h^2}\sin \theta \approx -\frac{5gh}{a^2+4h^2}\theta for small values of theta.

Thus we get simple harmonic motion with period 2πa2+4h25gh2\pi \sqrt{\frac{a^2+4h^2}{5gh}} as required.

Comment: this question is somewhat labourious but not actually difficult. The last part is completely trivial and I imagine was only done to give you a value to check your calculated M.I. against.
STEP III 1998 Q13

P(k heads in n tosses) = nCk12n=n!k!(nk)!2n^nC_k \frac{1}{2^n} = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!2^n}.

Let Pn(k)P_n(k) = P(k heads in n tosses).

Pn(1)=n!(n1)!2n=n2nP_n(1) = \frac{n!}{(n-1)!2^n} = \frac{n}{2^n}. Then set rn=Pn+1(1)/Pn(1)=n+12n+1/n2n=n+12nr_n = P_{n+1}(1)/P_{n}(1) = \frac{n+1}{2^{n+1}} \Big/ \frac{n}{2^n} = \frac{n+1}{2n}

Then r1=1,rn<1n>1r_1 = 1, r_n < 1\, \forall n > 1. So since Pn(1)>0nP_n(1) > 0 \,\forall n, we have P1(1)=P2(1),Pn(1)>Pn+1(1)n>1P_1(1)=P_2(1), P_n(1) > P_{n+1}(1) \,\forall n > 1. Thus we have the MLE's n=1, n=2.

More generally, we have:

Pn(k)=n!k!(nk)!2nP_n(k) = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!2^n}. Again, set

r_n = P_{n+1}(k)/P_{n}(k) = \frac{(n+1)!}{k!(n+1-k)!2^{n+1}} \Big/ \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!2^n} = \frac{n+1}{2(n+1-k)} \\[br]= \frac{2(n+1-k)+2k-n+1}{2(n+1-k)} = 1 + \frac{n-(2k-1)}{2(n+1-k)}

Thus we find:

\begin{displaymath}[br]\left\{\begin{array}{ll}[br]r_n > 1 & n < 2k-1 \\[br]r_n = 1 & n = 2k-1 \\[br]r_n < 1 & n > 2k-1 \\[br]\end{array}\right.[br]\end{displaymath}

and we deduce:

\begin{displaymath}[br]\left\{\begin{array}{ll}[br]P_n(k) < P_n(k+1) & n < 2k-1 \\[br]P_n(k) = P_n(k+1) & n = 2k-1 \\[br]P_n(k) > P_n(k+1) & n > 2k-1 \\[br]\end{array}\right.[br]\end{displaymath}

In other words, Pn(k)P_n(k) increases until n=2k1,P2k1(k)=P2k(k)n = 2k-1, \, P_{2k-1}(k)=P_{2k}(k) and Pn(k)P_n(k) decreases thereafter. Thus we find n =2k-1 and n=2k are the two MLEs.

For the last part, our equation for Pn(k)P_n(k) becomes Pn(k)=n!k!(nk)!pk(1p)nkP_n(k) = \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}. Playing the same game, we find

rn=Pn+1(k)/Pn(k)=(n+1)!k!(n+1k)!pk(1p)n+1k/[br]n!k!(nk)!pk(1p)nkr_n = P_{n+1}(k)/P_{n}(k) = \frac{(n+1)!}{k!(n+1-k)!}p^k(1-p)^{n+1-k} \Big/[br]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}
=(n+1)(1p)n+1k=(n+1)(1p)+(n+1)p(n+1)p+kkn+1k=\frac{(n+1)(1-p)}{n+1-k}=\frac{(n+1)(1-p)+(n+1)p-(n+1)p+k-k}{n+1-k}
=(n+1k)+k(n+1)pn+1k=1kp(n+1)n+1k=\frac{(n+1-k)+k-(n+1)p}{n+1-k} = 1 - \frac{k-p(n+1)}{n+1-k}

Again we deduce

\begin{displaymath}[br]\left\{\begin{array}{ll}[br]P_n(k) < P_n(k+1) & p(n+1) < k \text{ i.e. } n < k/p - 1\\[br]P_n(k) = P_n(k+1) & p(n+1) = k \text{ i.e. } n = k/p - 1\\[br]P_n(k) > P_n(k+1) & p(n+1) > k \text{ i.e. } n > k/p - 1\\[br]\end{array}\right.[br]\end{displaymath}

So if k/p is an integer, we have the 2 MLEs n = k/p -1, n=k/p.
If k/p is not an integer, then if n is the integer part of k/p we have n-1 < k/p-1 and n > kp-1 and so Pn1(k)<Pn(k)>Pn+1(k)P_{n-1}(k) < P_n(k) > P_{n+1}(k) and so n is our unique MLE. Explicitly, the MLE is unique if k/p is not an integer.
Reply 62
I don't agree with datr for problem 4 on STEP 98 with the two last lines. Indeed, cos(n*pi) depends on the parity of n...

datr
InIn1=2n2[cos(nx)]0π=4n2\displaystyle I_n - I_{n-1} = -\frac{2}{n^2}[cos(nx)]_0^\pi = \frac{4}{n^2}

In=r=1n4r2\displaystyle I_n = \sum_{r=1}^{n} \frac{4}{r^2}

:smile: Justin
Reply 63
Good catch. Obviously it should be:

InIn1=2n2(1cosnπ)\displaystyle I_n - I_{n-1} = \frac{2}{n^2}(1 - cosn\pi)

Then I'm not sure if it can simplified much further, which would leave the sum as.

In=2r=1n1r2(1cosrπ)\displaystyle I_n = 2\sum_{r=1}^{n} \frac{1}{r^2}(1 - cosr\pi)
Well, in that case, you are just summing over "r odd", which you can rearrange into a sum looking like 41(2r1)24\sum \frac{1}{(2r-1)^2}, although you'll need to take some care over the limits.
Reply 65
STEP III Qn 11:

Referring to my attached diagram:

For the first part use the conservation of energy:

PE at A = KE at B

PE at A= mgl(cosθcosγ)mgl(cos\theta - cos\gamma)

KE at B = 12mv2\frac{1}{2}mv^2

As the particle describes a circle, so we can make use of v=lωv =l\omega where ω\omega is the angular velocity i.e. ω=dθdt\omega = \frac{d\theta}{dt}

So KE at B = 12ml2(dθdt)2\frac{1}{2}ml^2(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2

Substituting in and cancelling an mm and and ll gives

12l(dθdt)2=g(cosθcosγ)\frac{1}{2}l(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2 = g(cos\theta - cos\gamma)

The period P is the time taken for the pendulum to move from an angular displacement of γ\gamma radians to γ -\gamma radians and all the way back to γ\gamma radians (two swings). Thus P/4 is the time taken for the pendulum to move from an angular displacement of γ\gamma radians to 0 radians

Substituting cosθ=12sin2(θ2)cos\theta = 1 - 2sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}) and cosγ=12sin2(γ2)cos\gamma = 1 - 2sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) gives

12l(dθdt)2=2g(sin2(γ2)sin2(θ2))\frac{1}{2}l(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2 = 2g(sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))

By separating variables and square rooting

dθdt=2(gl(sin2(γ2)sin2(θ2))0.5\frac{d\theta}{dt} = 2(\frac{g}{l}(sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{0.5}

So

2\displaystyle\int^{P/4}_0 dt \, \dt = \sqrt \frac{l}[br]{g} \displaystyle\int^{\gamma}_0 (sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})^2 - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-0.5} d{\theta}\, \dt

Integrating the left hand side to get P/2 P/2 gives

P = 2\sqrt \frac{l}[br]{g} \displaystyle\int^{\gamma}_0 (sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-0.5} d{\theta}\, \dt

Using the suggested subsitution gives

dθ=2sin(γ2)sec(θ2)cosϕdϕ d\theta = 2sin(\frac{\gamma}{2})sec(\frac{\theta}{2})cos\phi d\phi

the limits change from γ \gamma and 0 0 to π2 \frac{\pi}{2} and 0 0

(sin2(γ2)sin2(θ2))0.5 (sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-0.5} becomes cosec(γ2)secϕ cosec(\frac{\gamma}{2})sec\phi

so that

P = 4\sqrt \frac{l}[br]{g} \displaystyle\int^{\pi/2}_0 sec(\frac{\theta}{2}) d{\phi}\, \dt

but sec(θ2)=(1sin2(θ2))0.5=(1sin2(γ2)sin2ϕ)0.5 sec(\frac{\theta}{2}) = (1 - sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2}))^{-0.5} = (1 - sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})sin^2\phi)^{-0.5}

So

P = 4\sqrt \frac{l}{g} \displaystyle\int^{\pi/2}_0 (1 - sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})sin^2\phi)^{-0.5} d{\phi}\, \dt

Expanding (1sin2(γ2)sin2ϕ)0.5 (1 - sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})sin^2\phi)^{-0.5} for the first two terms gives

P \approx 4\sqrt \frac{l}{g} \displaystyle\int^{\pi/2}_0 (1 + \frac{1}{2} sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})sin^2\phi) d{\phi}\, \dt

Substituting cos2ϕ=12sin2(ϕ)cos2\phi = 1 - 2sin^2(\phi)

P \approx 4\sqrt \frac{l}{g} \displaystyle\int^{\pi/2}_0 (1 + \frac{1}{4} sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) - \frac{1}{4}sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})cos(2\phi)) d{\phi}\, \dt

Integrating gives

P4lg((1+14sin2(γ2))ϕ18sin2(γ2)sin(2ϕ))P \approx 4\sqrt \frac{l}{g} ((1+\frac{1}{4} sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}))\phi - \frac{1}{8}sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})sin(2\phi))

and putting in the limits
P4lg(1+14sin2(γ2)(π2)P \approx 4\sqrt \frac{l}{g} (1+\frac{1}{4} sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2})(\frac{\pi}{2})
P2πlg(1+14sin2(γ2))P \approx 2\pi\sqrt \frac{l}{g} (1+\frac{1}{4} sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}))

For small values of γ2 \frac{\gamma}{2}
sin(γ2)[br]γ2 sin(\frac{\gamma}{2}) \approx [br]\frac{\gamma}{2} so sin2(γ2)[br]γ24 sin^2(\frac{\gamma}{2}) \approx [br]\frac{\gamma^2}{4}

Hence

P2πlg(1+γ216)P \approx 2\pi\sqrt \frac{l}{g} (1+\frac{\gamma^2}{16})
Reply 66
I normally stay away from the mechanics questions but I'll have a go at STEP II Q11 as it looks easy enough.

R(&#8593:wink:
Initial Velcoity = usin&#945;
Acceleration = -9.8

y=utsinα4.9t2y = ut\sin\alpha - 4.9t^2

R(&#8594:wink:
Initial Velocity = ucos&#945;

x=utcosαx = ut\cos\alpha

Notice that tan&#946; will vary in the same way as tan&#952; but in the opposite direction. Therefore:

ddttanβ=ddttanθ\frac{d}{dt}\tan\beta = -\frac{d}{dt}\tan\theta

tanβ=yx=utsinα4.9t2utcosα=tanα4.9tusecα\tan\beta = \frac{y}{x} = \frac{ut\sin\alpha - 4.9t^2}{ut\cos\alpha} = \tan\alpha - \frac{4.9t}{u}\sec\alpha

ddttanβ=4.9usecα\frac{d}{dt}\tan\beta = -\frac{4.9}{u}\sec\alpha

ddttanθ=4.9usecα\frac{d}{dt}\tan\theta = \frac{4.9}{u}\sec\alpha

Which is clearly constant.

For the second part of the question change the frame of reference so that the girl is once again stationary which adds an extra horizontal component v to the speed of the ball.

R(&#8594:wink:
Initial Velocity = ucos&#945; + v

x=(ucosα+v)tx = (u\cos\alpha + v)t

Now we use the same argument again.

tanβ=yx=utsinα4.9t2(ucosα+v)t=usinα4.9tucosα+v\tan\beta = \frac{y}{x} = \frac{ut\sin\alpha - 4.9t^2}{(u\cos\alpha + v)t} = \frac{u\sin\alpha - 4.9t}{u\cos\alpha + v}

ddttanβ=4.9ucosα+v\frac{d}{dt}\tan\beta = -\frac{4.9}{u\cos\alpha + v}

ddttanθ=4.9ucosα+v\frac{d}{dt}\tan\theta = \frac{4.9}{u\cos\alpha + v}

Which again is constant.
Reply 67
DFranklin
Paper I, Q6:

a_1 = \cos x, b_1 = 1\\[br]a_2 = \frac{1}{2}(1 + \cos x) = \cos^2(x/2), b_2 = \sqrt{a_2} = \cos(x/2)\\

Sorry but how did you make the jump from 1/2(1 + cosx) to cos^2(x/2) so easily? Is there some identity I'm missing?
Yes its very useful in C4 and FP1-3.

cos2x=cos2xsin2x=2cos2x1 cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x = 2cos^2x - 1

1+cos2x=2cos2x 1 + cos2x = 2cos^2x

cos2x=12(1+cos2x) cos^2x = \frac{1}{2}(1+cos2x)

cos2x2=12(1+cosx) cos^2\frac{x}{2} = \frac{1}{2}(1+cosx)
Reply 69
Oh ok thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind.
Reply 70
I really have a problem with the STEP 1 question 3 part iii) answer. I believe it to be true, since for any given value a power series can be constructed to a finite degree which approximates cos(theta) to a degree of accuracy better than six decimal places, since the taylor series to infinity holds for all values of theta exactly.

I can see where the ukgea is coming from with his answer, but I think the question is too ambiguous to avoid this problem.
Reply 71
v-zero
I really have a problem with the STEP 1 question 3 part iii) answer. I believe it to be true, since for any given value a power series can be constructed to a finite degree which approximates cos(pheta) to a degree of accuracy better than six decimal places, since the taylor series to infinity holds for all values of pheta exactly.

I can see where the ukgea is coming from with his answer, but I think the question is too ambiguous to avoid this problem.

I do not think the question is ambiguous. There does not exist a polynomial which satisfies P(θ)cosθ106    θ|P(\theta) - \cos\theta| \leq 10^{-6} \; \forall \; \theta as limθP(θ)=\displaystyle \lim_{\theta \to \infty} |P(\theta)| = \infty

Given a certain value of θ\theta, a polynomial satisfying the condition can be found, but for any polynomial a value of θ\theta can be chosen such that the condition no longer holds.
Reply 72
A polynomial has to have a finite number of terms though. Otherwise, it isn't polynomial.
Reply 73
Swayam
A polynomial has to have a finite number of terms though. Otherwise, it isn't polynomial.

That was not my point, simply that for any numerical value of theta there is a polynomial that satisfies the identity. However, I can see both sides of the argument and do not have a problem accepting the answer given as an alternative to my own argument - it is the only one of those questions that I think was badly worded.
Reply 74
A minor nitpick, but you do know it's theta right?
Reply 75
Yes sorry, I don't know why I wrote it like an idiot, fixing...
v-zero
That was not my point, simply that for any numerical value of theta there is a polynomial that satisfies the identity. However, I can see both sides of the argument and do not have a problem accepting the answer given as an alternative to my own argument - it is the only one of those questions that I think was badly worded.
I'm afraid I don't think there's any ambiguity here. Your argument:

for any numerical value of theta there is a polynomial that satisfies the identity

would be valid if they had said:

"For all real θ\theta, there exists a polynomial P such that P(θ)cosθ106|P(\theta)-\cos \theta| \le 10^{-6}",

but this is a very different statement from

"There exists a polynomial P such that P(θ)cosθ106|P(\theta)-\cos \theta| \le 10^{-6}, for all real θ\theta",

which is what they actually said.
I think I've got a rather different method for I/4.

Call the lengths of the rectangle x and y, and the radius of the circle r. Since if the rectangle's vertices didn't lie on the circle it could simply be enlarged, the vertices will lie on the circle. The diagonal cannot be longer than the diameter, so x2+y2=2rx2+y2=4r2\sqrt{x^2+y^2} = 2r \Rightarrow x^2 + y^2 = 4r^2
We want to maximize Z = x + y (Z being the perimeter).
So y=4r2x2y = \sqrt{4r^2-x^2} Substituting this in, we get Z=x+4r2x2Z = x + \sqrt{4r^2-x^2}.
Differentiating, we get dZdx=1x4r2x2\dfrac{dZ}{dx} = 1 - \dfrac{x}{\sqrt{4r^2-x^2}}
4r2x2=xx2=r2x2x2=2r2x=2r.\sqrt{4r^2-x^2} = x \Rightarrow x^2 = r^2 - x^2 \Rightarrow x^2 = 2r^2 \Rightarrow x = \sqrt{2}r. Substituting back in, we get y=2ry = \sqrt{2}r x = y, hence it is a square.

Considering the square of x and y, Z = x^2 + y^2 and x^2 + y^2 = 4r^2. Z = 4r^2, independent of x and y.

Considering the cube of x and y. Z=x3+y3,x2+y2=4r2.Z = x^3 + y^3, x^2 + y^2 = 4r^2. Once again, y=4r2x2y = \sqrt{4r^2-x^2} Therefore Z=x3+(4r2x2)3=x3+(4r2x2)4r2x2Z = x^3 + (\sqrt{4r^2-x^2})^3 = x^3 + (4r^2-x^2)\sqrt{4r^2-x^2}. Differentiating this, we get dZdx=(3x)(4r2x2)=0.\dfrac{dZ}{dx} = (-3x)(\sqrt{4r^2-x^2}) = 0. . Remembering x = 0 as a solution, 4r^2 - x^2 = 0. Hence x^2 = 4r^2, and x = 2r. But this leads to y = 0. Instead, we can say as x or y tends to 2r and hence x or y tends to 0, the sum of the cubes of the sides will increase.

Hope this is right!
I have a question about question 7 STEP III

I have trouble with the very last part. surely K varies as T changes.

but K = -6 (1+1/2^4 + 1/3^4 + 1/4^4 ... )

which is a constant.
No, the whole point of the question is that K is to be a constant independent of T.

You need to post your working.

Latest

Trending

Trending