The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StuckInReverse
Here's the MC paper with my answers and working. No guarantee that the answers are right although I did feel pretty confident about them. Interested to see if others got similar answers ...

:ms:I'm working on checking StuckInReverse answers, i'll post the solutions soon, go over to thread on
Higher Physics 2018-19 Unofficial Markscheme
link to solutions for updates.

Anyone up the Section 2 Q'paper decent images please!
(edited 4 years ago)
Quick recap:
1 E, 2 B, 3 D, 4 D (possibly A), 5 B, 6 E, 7 B, 8 C, 9 B, 10 D (possibly E), 11 D, 12 A, 13 A, 14 C, 15 E, 16 C, 17 E (possibly C), 18 C, 19 D, 20 A, 21 B, 22 C, 23 D, 24 E (possibly B), 25 E

Want to create an unofficial markscheme with this so people can get to it easier?
Don't know what you mean, sorry. And I think @tomctutor is checking the answers at the moment so I'll wait till they've finished
Original post by Evil Homer
Want to create an unofficial markscheme with this so people can get to it easier?
4 was definitely A I asked my teacher about it at the end
Quick recap:
1 E, 2 B, 3 D, 4 D (possibly A), 5 B, 6 E, 7 B, 8 C, 9 B, 10 D (possibly E), 11 D, 12 A, 13 A, 14 C, 15 E, 16 C, 17 E (possibly C), 18 C, 19 D, 20 A, 21 B, 22 C, 23 D, 24 E (possibly B), 25 E
3 is B, dunno how you got D. It’s the speed when it hits the ground which is at -30 ms^-1 so B
Quick recap:
Paper was pretty easy
Original post by tomctutor
:ms:I'm working on checking StuckInReverse answers, i'll post the solutions here soon (come back to this post #101 for updates): (see attached pdf)

Mind if we set this up in a separate thread so candidates can find it easier?
Original post by Aaron_0610
3 is B, dunno how you got D. It’s the speed when it hits the ground which is at -30 ms^-1 so B

Nah you do pythagoras with the vertical and horizontal components
Paper 1 was really hard but paper 2 was ok
No, 😂😂

Our teacher confirmed 30 is the right answer, as the first graph had no key information, you never do pythogoras for this type of question 😂😂😂

Original post by Lil Impulse
Nah you do pythagoras with the vertical and horizontal components
Original post by Evil Homer
Mind if we set this up in a separate thread so candidates can find it easier?

Id rather it remained here but if you could duplicate it (shadow it ) I don't know if you can do that, a link in the op #1 would be nice?
Ok moved my worked solutions to new thread:
Higher Physics 2018-19 Unofficial Markscheme
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m afraid to say your teacher is wrong here. It is 50 because it’s asking for the velocity not just the horizontal or vertical. This means you have to take them both into account and work out the resultant velocity with Pythagoras

No, 😂😂

Our teacher confirmed 30 is the right answer, as the first graph had no key information, you never do pythogoras for this type of question 😂😂😂
No, 😂😂

Guess your physics teacher can't do physics😂😂😂
No, 😂😂

Is there really any need for those condescending emojis?
Glad that’s over, thought it was a really fair paper overall :smile: Will probably glance at the unofficial marking schemes etc but ngl probably a better idea not to dwell on any errors as it’s too late now :smile:

3 is D because u need to do Pythagoras with the horizontal and vertical components so you get 50ms^-1
17 is correct as it's asking for a minimum not a maximum.

3rd Order Minimum is still 3, not 2 + 1/2, it's 3 + 1/2
Original post by nat5dawg
17 should be C
24 should be B

Other than that we got the same answers :smile:)
I think that went fine. I found paper 1 a bit more difficult than I was expecting. Paper 2 was fair I think but I was a bit short on time at the end. I managed to get everything done but I finished like 2 minutes before the end so I didn't really have time to check over everything. That was my last exam though so I've decided to try and forget about exams after looking at some markschemes for physics and just relax (no idea if that'll work but I'll try).
(edited 4 years ago)
The third order minimum is between the second and third order maxima so m = 2 1/2. With minima m is always 1 lower than the order.
17 is correct as it's asking for a minimum not a maximum.

3rd Order Minimum is still 3, not 2 + 1/2, it's 3 + 1/2
Paper 1 seemed to be more challenging than in previous years, but was still fair.
Paper 2 was relatively straight-forward and it was mostly obvious what you needed to do (although the open-ended questions were tough)

Paper 2 seemed to have a lot more time pressure than in previous years so I wonder if quite a few failed to finish it. Also, there was a sneaky last question hidden behind the graph page at the end that I’m sure some must’ve failed to see.

Overall, I think it was a fair exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending