The Student Room Group

GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Ahhh good luck! :hugs: Not a fan of Dynamics either :afraid: But from what I can remember you did pretty well in your mid-term so you can do it!! :rave:
You're nearly there! :gah:

I loved mechanics at A Level but this is just completely different and I hate it :sad: but it’ll be over in a few hours, which is what I have to keep reminding myself :lol:

Yeah I did a lot better than I expected to, so hoping for the same again haha
It went better than the last one so at least that's something :teehee: Indeed! :woo:
Hope revision is going well and good luck for physics on Friday! :hugs: :lovie:

:woo:
welp, it's going better than i thought it would :lol:
that ice-cream looks amazing!! :gah:
congrats on finishing your first year of uni!! :woo:
Original post by Protostar
I loved mechanics at A Level but this is just completely different and I hate it :sad: but it’ll be over in a few hours, which is what I have to keep reminding myself :lol:

Yeah I did a lot better than I expected to, so hoping for the same again haha

That sucks :console: What kind of stuff does the Dynamics module cover? I had a tiny bit of dynamics in my Mathematical Modelling module which definitely was not my favourite section but I wasn't a huge fan of the mechanics at A Level either so wasn't too surprised :teehee: It's annoying though when you come to realise that a topic you loved at A Level is so different at uni - that was literally me with calculus and I'm close to hating it now :colondollar:
Hope it went okay in the end! :hugs: Onto the next ones :dance:

Original post by nyxnko_
welp, it's going better than i thought it would :lol:
that ice-cream looks amazing!! :gah:
congrats on finishing your first year of uni!! :woo:

Ahhh yay so happy for you! :hugs: You're gonna smash em! :rave:
It was :gah: :gah:
Thank youuu :lovehug:
That sucks :console: What kind of stuff does the Dynamics module cover? I had a tiny bit of dynamics in my Mathematical Modelling module which definitely was not my favourite section but I wasn't a huge fan of the mechanics at A Level either so wasn't too surprised :teehee: It's annoying though when you come to realise that a topic you loved at A Level is so different at uni - that was literally me with calculus and I'm close to hating it now :colondollar:
Hope it went okay in the end! :hugs: Onto the next ones :dance:

well the 4 chapters are called kinematics, laws of motion & conservation, oscillations, and gravity - chapter 1 is basically glorified suvat with a couple of things involving the cross product etc, generally quite straightforward, chapter 2 was about newton's laws and also momentum, chapter 3 is mainly simple harmonic motion (basically a whole chapter on odes) and chapter 4 is about gravitational forces, orbits and kepler's laws. i like a lot of the content it's just the exams are really hard :sadnod: it is! i liked decision maths to an extent at a level and then when we had to do optimisation last term it was so dull :facepalm: on the plus side i hated stats but i really like my probability module this term so that's something at least :lol:
it actually went horribly but i'm trying to put it behind me and compose myself for tomorrow's :colondollar: hopefully that goes better
Original post by Protostar
well the 4 chapters are called kinematics, laws of motion & conservation, oscillations, and gravity - chapter 1 is basically glorified suvat with a couple of things involving the cross product etc, generally quite straightforward, chapter 2 was about newton's laws and also momentum, chapter 3 is mainly simple harmonic motion (basically a whole chapter on odes) and chapter 4 is about gravitational forces, orbits and kepler's laws. i like a lot of the content it's just the exams are really hard :sadnod: it is! i liked decision maths to an extent at a level and then when we had to do optimisation last term it was so dull :facepalm: on the plus side i hated stats but i really like my probability module this term so that's something at least :lol:
it actually went horribly but i'm trying to put it behind me and compose myself for tomorrow's :colondollar: hopefully that goes better

To be honest I do not like the sound of that :teehee: Ahhh I had that problem too! I loved the content of one of the modules I took this semester but I found the papers so hard :bawling: Ooh that's interesting though! I can't think of a topic that I hated at school but I like now - it's always been that the stuff I thought I liked at school, I hate now :rofl:
Definitely a good idea :yep: Good luck :hugs:
Composition Marks, Scholarship Report and Trip Finding

Hello! So I'm back with another post a little sooner than I expected because the composition marks for MU1004 were released this morning :afraid: They gave me a mark for the final composition itself, and a mark for my engagement in tutorials, and then they took the average of the two and that acted as the overall mark for the composition strand :yes: For my final composition I got 16, and for my tutorial mark I got 18, so that averages to a 17 which is not too bad :biggrin: My tutor gave me a lot of feedback which was great - it seems like I couldn't have done any more with the tutorial engagement, and apparently I wrote very idiomatically for the instruments I composed for, and managed to achieve good variation in the texture whilst also retaining a sense of unity. The only bit was that apparently it sounded quite sectional so I should have had more natural transitions between textures, which I wish the tutor had mentioned in the tutorial so I could have fixed it :rofl:

Anyway, my overall grade for this module has come to 17.7 which may be rounded up to an 18 (a clear first) or not :confused:, but either way I'm pretty happy with that :yep:

I managed to write and submit my Wardlaw scholarship report for this semester today, which is basically just a thank you to the donor, and a reflection on what I've done this semester :yes: But other than that I haven't really done anything productive, I've just been lounging around, spending time with friends and trying to find something to do next week, like a day trip or something :yes:

Just posting this now before I try and make use of the luxury of being able to sleep however much I want whilst I have it :giggle:

Thanks for reading! :hugs:

Tag List Please tell me if you'd like to be added/removed! :heart:

Spoiler

Those marks are amazing! Your 'i've got nothing done' days are so much more productive than mine ever are :lol:
:yeah: well done!
Original post by furryface12
Those marks are amazing! Your 'i've got nothing done' days are so much more productive than mine ever are :lol:

Thank you!! :hugs: :rofl: Although I think I have a ton more of them so perhaps it balances out :colondollar:
Original post by laurawatt
:yeah: well done!

Eee thank you! :hugs: Hope GCSEs are going wellll :gah:
Semester 2 Review

Academic
This semester I felt like because I knew what to expect, it was slightly more tedious and I started to feel burnt out a lot earlier. I think I did slightly better in exams because I felt that the modules I took this semester/the combination meant I could get away with doing less work. However, I started doing past papers slightly earlier than last semester (since we had more time to revise) for two out of three of my maths modules (the ones which had more past papers available and consequently the ones in which I felt the exam went slightly better in :tongue:) so that would have also helped. I also think that after getting over the initial hurdle from school maths to university pure maths (primarily through the analysis module in Semester 1), the maths I did this semester was relatively easier to get to grips with.

I completely ignored my main goal to revise along the way though :afraid: But I'm starting to think that I just work better by cramming rather than revising along the way :dontknow: I will definitely still try to attempt this next year though because I won't properly know which works better for me until I actually try it :nah: Also many of the honours maths modules are 100% exam so if I do badly in the exam I won't have any coursework to rely on to bring my grade up, so actually knowing the content is pretty crucial if I want to do decently.

It was also so nice to be done with music as a module before exams started (since it was practically 100% coursework if you count the performance recital as coursework), so I literally only had 3 written exams to prepare for. I'm so lucky to have had my composition premiered by such amazing and talented people as well, and it was an experience I really will not forget! :heart:

Life
I wish I had gone home during Spring Break, because with the Laidlaw internship this summer, it's elongated the semester by 5 weeks, so in total I will have been away from home for just over 5 months (I realise this won't seem a lot, particularly to international students, but it's an eternity for me :rofl:), and I feel that has partly contributed to me feeling unmotivated during exams (as I felt like I was just stuck in the same place, and everything got extremely tedious - it's kinda hard to describe through words but hopefully I'm making some sort of sense?) So I'll definitely consider going home during Spring Break next year because with the much more intense workload at honours, I'll definitely want a break from the St Andrews bubble for a little while :yes: But I feel like treating myself from time to time (whether it was with food or with just a break in general) really did help :yes:

Extra-Curriculars
The main extra-curriculars were just tennis and piano this semester, but I feel like I improved a lot more in both because I could put more time into practising each (the music module also meant that I had something to work towards with my practice, so it motivated me to practise way more frequently than I ever have before :lol:). I also had the coding course every Tuesday evening which was put onto my academic transcript, and I'll probably apply for the 'advanced python' course running in September so that will also be something to keep up :yep: Oooh I also joined the Ambassador scheme but didn't get to do much because a lot of the events clashed with lectures/tutorials/Laidlaw etc., but I would love to continue doing it next year so will try and get as involved with it as I can next year :yes: In terms of the other societies and clubs and things, I may try them out again at the beginning of next year but no promises that I'll keep up absolutely everything I join :lol: Especially as workload at honours will heavily increase :smile:

2019 Goal Review
1. (Main Goal) Stay on top of things - revise little and often throughout the semester so I don't end up cramming the night before
Like I said previously, I didn't really do this one - a part of me wonders whether if I had done this, I would have felt even more burnt out at the end of the semester, or whether it would have helped me :dontknow: I think I'll definitely try this out next year because I need to try out everything before I can decide what works best for me :yes: It's just a matter of actually reminding myself to constantly do this rather than shoving it away and telling myself I can always start later :colondollar:

2. Become a morning person and maintain this until the summer
I think I kind of managed to do this in a sense that I constantly attempted to go to bed relatively early so my sleep schedule was not so messed up, and I wouldn't miss breakfast too often. However I still find it a struggle to get out of bed if there's isn't something motivating me to get up (i.e. an exam I have that day that I need to get up for otherwise I'll actually fail if I don't take it :lol:), so I definitely want to work on this throughout the summer.

3. Keep up with at least 3 extra-curricular activities throughout the semester
I think I managed to do this, if you count the coding course thing as another extra-curricular? :colondollar: I didn't manage to pick ballet up like I said I would try to do, but I think focusing on less things meant I was able to improve a lot faster in those said things :yes: I may try to pick it up again next year, or maybe not - we'll see :yep:

Final Reflection
Overall it's been an absolutely amazing year bursting with so many memorable experiences, and I really cannot wait to start again next year! I'm so glad I managed to keep up with this blog throughout the whole year (as opposed to last year :teehee:) because I found it so rewarding, and I hope people have somewhat found it useful to get a glimpse of what life is like at university (and at St Andrews in particular) :woo: Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading this so far - it really motivates me to keep on updating this to let you all know how I'm getting on :yes:

You'll see me again but not at least until a couple of weeks, so good luck to anyone with exams over that period! :woo: :rave: and thanks for reading this :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
man the beach is so pretty! Well dont tire yourself too much dude! Thanks and good luck to you too! badminton vs tennis?
Semester 2 Review

Academic
This semester I felt like because I knew what to expect, it was slightly more tedious and I started to feel burnt out a lot earlier during this semester. I think I did slightly better in exams because I felt that the modules I took this semester/the combination meant I could get away with doing less work. However, I started doing past papers slightly earlier than last semester (since we had more time to revise) for two out of three of my maths modules (the ones which had more past papers available and consequently the ones in which I felt the exam went slightly better in :tongue:) so that would have also helped. I also think that after getting over the initial hurdle from school maths to university pure maths (primarily through the analysis module in Semester 1), the maths I did this semester was relatively easier to get to grips with.

I completely ignored my main goal to revise along the way though :afraid: But I'm starting to think that I just work better by cramming rather than revising along the way :dontknow: I will definitely still try to attempt this next year though because I won't properly know which works better for me until I actually try it :nah: Also many of the honours maths modules are 100% exam so if I do badly in the exam I won't have any coursework to rely on to bring my grade up, so actually knowing the content is pretty crucial if I want to do decently.

It was also so nice to be done with music as a module before exams started (since it was practically 100% coursework if you count the performance recital as coursework), so I literally only had 3 written exams to prepare for. I'm so lucky to have had my composition premiered by such amazing and talented people as well, and it was an experience I really will not forget! :heart:

Life
I wish I had gone home during Spring Break, because with the Laidlaw internship this summer, it's elongated the semester by 5 weeks, so in total I will have been away from home for just over 5 months (I realise this won't seem a lot, particularly to international students, but it's an eternity for me :rofl:), and I feel that has partly contributed to me feeling unmotivated during exams (as I felt like I was just stuck in the same place, and everything got extremely tedious - it's kinda hard to describe through words but hopefully I'm making some sort of sense?) So I'll definitely consider going home during Spring Break next year because with the much more intense workload at honours, I'll definitely want a break from the St Andrews bubble for a little while :yes: But I feel like treating myself from time to time (whether it was with food or with just a break in general) really did help :yes:

Extra-Curriculars
The main extra-curriculars were just tennis and piano this semester, but I feel like I improved a lot more in both because I could put more time into practising each (the music module also meant that I had something to work towards with my practice, so it motivated me to practice way more frequently than I ever have before :lol:). I also had the coding course every Tuesday evening which was put onto my academic transcript, and I'll probably apply for the 'advanced python' course running in September so that will also be something to keep up :yep: In terms of the other societies and clubs and things, I may try them out again at the beginning of next year but no promises that I'll keep up absolutely everything I join :lol: Especially as workload at honours will heavily increase :smile:

2019 Goal Review
1. (Main Goal) Stay on top of things - revise little and often throughout the semester so I don't end up cramming the night before
Like I said previously, I didn't really do this one - a part of me wonders whether if I had done this, I would have felt even more burnt out at the end of the semester, or whether it would have helped me :dontknow: I think I'll definitely try this out next year because I need to try out everything before I can decide what works best for me :yes: It's just a matter of actually reminding myself to constantly do this rather than shoving it away and telling myself I can always start later :colondollar:

I think I kind of managed to do this in a sense that I constantly attempted to go to bed relatively early so my sleep schedule was not so messed up, and I wouldn't miss breakfast too often. However I still find it a struggle to get out of bed if there's isn't something motivating me to get up (i.e. an exam I have that day that I need to get up for otherwise I'll actually fail if I don't take it :lol:), so I definitely want to work on this throughout the summer.

I think I managed to do this, if you count the coding course thing as another extra-curricular? :colondollar: I didn't manage to pick ballet up like I said I would try to do, but I think focusing on less things meant I was able to improve a lot faster in those said things :yes: I may try to pick it up again next year, or maybe not - we'll see :yep:

Final Reflection
Overall it's been an absolutely amazing year bursting with so many memorable experiences, and I really cannot wait to start again next year! I'm so glad I managed to keep up with this blog throughout the whole year (as opposed to last year :teehee:) because I found it so rewarding, and I hope people have somewhat found it useful to get a glimpse of what life is like at university (and at St Andrews in particular) :woo: Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading this so far - it really motivates me to keep on updating this to let you all know how I'm getting on :yes:

You'll see me again but not at least until a couple of weeks, so good luck to anyone with exams over that period! :woo: :rave: and thanks for reading this :smile:

Spoiler

Wow, 5 months is a long time to be away from home for. I don't think I could handle that :nah:.
Glad to hear that its been a good year! I hope next year is great for you too :hugs:
Original post by Coolkitkat23
man the beach is so pretty! Well dont tire yourself too much dude! Thanks and good luck to you too! badminton vs tennis?

It is :gah: :lol: Oooh I think currently I'd say tennis just because I've had more experience with it in terms of lessons so I think I'm slightly better at it than badminton, but badminton is still really fun too :yep: You?
Original post by Fazzy_77
Wow, 5 months is a long time to be away from home for. I don't think I could handle that :nah:.
Glad to hear that its been a good year! I hope next year is great for you too :hugs:

Ahh it is! We'll see if I can handle it but I won't be surprised if I start losing it in the last couple of weeks :lol:
Eee thank you! :hugs: I hope next year's great for you too! Last year of school :dance:
Reply 1573
Stay fabulous! :yay:
It is :gah: :lol: Oooh I think currently I'd say tennis just because I've had more experience with it in terms of lessons so I think I'm slightly better at it than badminton, but badminton is still really fun too :yep: You?

Ahh it is! We'll see if I can handle it but I won't be surprised if I start losing it in the last couple of weeks :lol:
Eee thank you! :hugs: I hope next year's great for you too! Last year of school :dance:

badminton :smile: ive had more experience there, but i suck at tennis
Eee thank you! :hugs: Hope GCSEs are going wellll :gah:

Yeee! :gah:
And loved the year review :rave: :hugs:
Add me to the tag list please! This thread looks great 😊
Loved reading this blog since I found it a few months ago! It has really got me hyped for starting my degree in September and moving to Edinburgh!
Definitely going to add St Andrews to my list of places to explore in Scotland based on your pictures alone! (Not to mention I wanna visit the home of Golf)
Semester 2 Review

Academic
This semester I felt like because I knew what to expect, it was slightly more tedious and I started to feel burnt out a lot earlier. I think I did slightly better in exams because I felt that the modules I took this semester/the combination meant I could get away with doing less work. However, I started doing past papers slightly earlier than last semester (since we had more time to revise) for two out of three of my maths modules (the ones which had more past papers available and consequently the ones in which I felt the exam went slightly better in :tongue:) so that would have also helped. I also think that after getting over the initial hurdle from school maths to university pure maths (primarily through the analysis module in Semester 1), the maths I did this semester was relatively easier to get to grips with.

Life

Extra-Curriculars
The main extra-curriculars were just tennis and piano this semester, but I feel like I improved a lot more in both because I could put more time into practising each (the music module also meant that I had something to work towards with my practice, so it motivated me to practise way more frequently than I ever have before :lol:). I also had the coding course every Tuesday evening which was put onto my academic transcript, and I'll probably apply for the 'advanced python' course running in September so that will also be something to keep up :yep: Oooh I also joined the Ambassador scheme but didn't get to do much because a lot of the events clashed with lectures/tutorials/Laidlaw etc., but I would love to continue doing it next year so will try and get as involved with it as I can next year :yes: In terms of the other societies and clubs and things, I may try them out again at the beginning of next year but no promises that I'll keep up absolutely everything I join :lol: Especially as workload at honours will heavily increase :smile:

2019 Goal Review

Final Reflection

Spoiler

Original post by 8472
Stay fabulous! :yay:

:blushing: You toooo! :cube:
Original post by Coolkitkat23
badminton :smile: ive had more experience there, but i suck at tennis

Ahh nice! Honestly I suck at both so you're probably better than me at least :teehee:
Original post by laurawatt
Yeee! :gah:
And loved the year review :rave: :hugs:

:dance:
:jumphug: :lovehug: :hugs:
Original post by bluebear25618
Add me to the tag list please! This thread looks great 😊

Ahh thank you! :hugs: Of course - done :h:
Original post by Molseh
Loved reading this blog since I found it a few months ago! It has really got me hyped for starting my degree in September and moving to Edinburgh!
Definitely going to add St Andrews to my list of places to explore in Scotland based on your pictures alone! (Not to mention I wanna visit the home of Golf)

Ahh I'm so glad to hear it! That's so exciting, Edinburgh is lovely too :gah: Yesss definitely recommend visiting here at least once because it's such a unique and pretty place with so much history :love: You can catch a direct bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews too so it's quite easy to get to :yep:
Laidlaw Research, Music Prize and Exam Results

I officially started research last Monday which was exciting :dance: I met with my supervisor both the Thursday before and on the Monday, and we've narrowed my project title down to a feasible project aim and I'm honestly so excited to see the results! But as it's a two year research project, I'll just be doing a lot of the preparatory theory stuff this summer, letting that settle in over the year, and then doing the nitty-gritty coding data analysis stuff in next year's project which I'm already looking forward to :colondollar: It'll definitely be challenging though :afraid: So far it's definitely been an interesting experience - there's been both up days (they're honestly the best, and the feeling of satisfaction of getting some results is really great), and then the down days, and you can often feel quite lonely when doing research. Luckily I live with some great housemates, one of which is also on the Laidlaw scheme, so we've often been chatting about and letting out our feelings and frustrations which is really important to do, especially since research can be so isolating :yep:

Additionally at the end of the research period, I need to hand in a 3-5 minute video on my research experience (which apparently will be played in front of supervisors, staff, other scholars and students :afraid:), a 2000 word essay on leadership, and a blog post to go onto the website, so I've definitely got a lot to be doing, even after this 5-week research period ends :lol:

I also received some unexpected news last Friday when my dad told me he'd received a letter back home saying that I had been awarded the Cedric Thorpe Davie Prize for 2018-19 which is normally awarded to 'the student whose performance was outstanding in one or more music modules taken during the current session' :shock: I was in absolute shock because there were so many people in my music classes who were way better than me and I thought those sorts of prizes were only given to graduating students anyway? :dontknow: The letter said it was because I did music in both semesters and got firsts so it showed my commitment to music :h: But yeah was so shocked about that :eek: It'll get put on my academic transcript and it also said I'll get a 'small monetary prize' which is always a bonus :teehee:

Anyway, exam results came out today and I guess I'll just tell you what I got :tongue: It was kinda what I suspected for the most part so :dontknow:

MT2501 Linear Mathematics - 19

MT2505 Abstract Algebra - 16

MT2507 Mathematical Modelling - 17

MU1004 Making Music - 17.7

Also here's the rough conversion scale and grading table:

I knew MT2501 was definitely my best exam as I felt the most prepared for it, and I felt pretty confident coming out of it, just having a few doubts about a couple of wordy questions, but I had no idea I'd gotten that high. I guess it was out of 70 rather than 50 (whereas MT2505 and I think MT2507 were out of 50) so it gave me a lot more leeway in making errors. As for MT2505, I kinda saw it coming because I felt like I missed out so many gaps in the exam, plus my computing coursework wasn't that great, but it was still hard-hitting seeing it physically because that was the module I enjoyed the most out of all the modules I took this year, yet the module I scored the lowest in :erm: I don’t think it will change me wanting to take an abstract algebra focused pathway during honours, but I think it will just make me try harder I guess :colondollar: MT2507 sounds about right, considering I didn't think it specifically went good or bad :dontknow: And then turns out they don't round Arts grades to the nearest grade on the 20 point scale, so I get the exact average taken across the three components - the reflective diary, the composition, and the performance recital.

So the average taken across my top 4 maths modules of this year is 17.5, which means that I don't have to retake, as to progress onto BSc honours you need to get an average of 11, so :woo: As I started doing past papers for each maths module at different times during the semester, it's kinda shown me when has been the most effective time to start, so I guess that's useful :yep: As for next year, I still have yet to decide properly which modules I want to take at what time, so will try to do that in the meantime amongst all the research :yes:

You probably won't hear from me for quite a while on this thread (if not forever!) since I won't have much to write about, so I guess this really is goodbye! Thanks so much for sticking with me, and I've really enjoyed sharing my first year at university with everyone :hugs: It certainly hasn't been an easy or smooth ride, but nonetheless I've had a lot of fun :yes: It's kinda of weird because I was thinking about the concept of GYG the other day, and I've realised how uncomfortable I'd be talking about the stuff that I talk about on here to other people face-to-face, but typing and sharing it (even though practically the whole world can see it) feels so nice because it's literally just letting your feelings, worries and ideas out, and gaining such wonderful support and motivation from amazing people in return. There's still a sense of anonymity which makes me comfortable sharing the things that I do on here, so I'm really thankful to TSR for allowing me to do that, whilst also enabling me to share my experiences at university so that I can give a bit of insight as to what the academic side to uni is like :yep:

If I don't stop here this post will turn into another one of those awful infamous essay posts of mine so I think I'll leave it here :rofl: Congrats to anyone else who's done with exams for the academic year :gah: If you still have exams right now, you've got this and you're so nearly there! :rave:

Thanks for reading! :hugs:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending