The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by entertainmyfaith
really? i thought melodrama was more of a mainstream listen than ph :tongue: i guess it depends on perspective though!!

I think it’s cuz pure heroine had more ‘bops’ with a simple chorus verse chorus progression e.g. tennis court, buzzcut season, team, bravado etc. U didn’t really get surprised but melodrama was more of a meta-realistic experience, u could be in a verse (or what u thought was a verse), then a mental rant then a snapback. Lorde is honestly amazing, *ugh*
Original post by nathan_nacu
I think it’s cuz pure heroine had more ‘bops’ with a simple chorus verse chorus progression e.g. tennis court, buzzcut season, team, bravado etc. U didn’t really get surprised but melodrama was more of a meta-realistic experience, u could be in a verse (or what u thought was a verse), then a mental rant then a snapback. Lorde is honestly amazing, *ugh*

hm, now that you say that, it does make sense!!
there's something so enthralling about melodrama because it definitely takes you on an experience of the highs and lows, the sober and drunk moments etc :yes: and the moods could change so quickly but the album was tied together so well eg. hard feelings / loveless i do think had a really interesting change between the two songs.
listening to you want it darker now :awesome:

You want it darker the lyrics were very dark and tone was smoky. It sounded like the type of thing I’d fall asleep to.

Treaty is this a poetry album? It seems like he’s talking with background music. He also sounds like he has vocal cirrhosis. I like it though. I feel like i would play this if i was hanging out with lana del rey and smoking cigarettes before she offers me my cocaine.

On the Level okay, come through low notes. The guitar is audible now at least. Nice melody and background vocals but they didn’t add to the original part in my opinion because of the different octaves

Leaving the Table i think the guitar is just increasing volume with every track and i like it. The sound feels repetitive tho, is his vocal range perpetually in the 2nd octave or is he scared of trying 😩

If I didn’t have your love i like it, swanky

Travelling Lights welcome to la la land ! I’m enjoying this much more than I thought i would. These constant lows are giving me Johnny cash vibez. We even almost came close to the 3rd octave! Growth!!!!!

It Seemed the Better Way OMG the String Quartet is that you? 😍 this would be great in a James Bond movie. At this point the vocals are repetitive so I’m just listening to see what he does with the background sounds lyrics

Steer your way it really WAS the string quartet 😍 (jk) sounds like previous song but i like the brrathiness to the smokiness

String reprise the string quartet are really pulling through😔 Rep if you cryed 💔

I surprisingly enjoyed that, it felt like Lana del rey but much lower and classic with an almost effortless go. Could’ve had a bit more vocal adventures. A good album tho, 8.2/10
(edited 4 years ago)
hm, now that you say that, it does make sense!!
there's something so enthralling about melodrama because it definitely takes you on an experience of the highs and lows, the sober and drunk moments etc :yes: and the moods could change so quickly but the album was tied together so well eg. hard feelings / loveless i do think had a really interesting change between the two songs.

Yes! After listening i see why Green Light was such a great intro as it represented these themes so well! Melodrama was honestly something and deserved all its critical acclaim periodt.

Treaty is this a poetry album? It seems like he’s talking with background music. He also sounds like he has vocal cirrhosis. I like it though. I feel like i would play this if i was hanging out with lana del rey and smoking cigarettes before she offers me my cocaine.

:lol: well he was 82 when this came out, but then again he has sounded like this for a long time now
Yes! After listening i see why Green Light was such a great intro as it represented these themes so well! Melodrama was honestly something and deserved all its critical acclaim periodt.

think i need to listen to melodrama again now it's been a while :lol:
I've calculated the average scores for all the ones since Take Me To The Alley

Take Me To The Alley - 8
Ever After - 5
Kid A - 6.25
Back to Black - 5.83
One World - 8 (most consistent; everyone put 8/10)
the one with the really long name - 3.33
Origin of Symmetry - 8.225 :king2:
ABIIOR - 5.75
Melodrama - 5.78 (also the least consistent - highest score was a 10, lowest was a 2, standard deviation of 3.88!)
Back In Black - 6.83
You Want It Darker - 8.34 :king1: If I'm not mistaken, this is the highest-rated so far.
Original post by Sinnoh

Take Me To The Alley - 8
Ever After - 5
Kid A - 6.25
Back to Black - 5.83
ABIIOR - 5.75
Melodrama - 5.78 (also the least consistent - highest score was a 10, lowest was a 2, standard deviation of 3.88!)
Back In Black - 6.83
You Want It Darker - 8.34 :king1: If I'm not mistaken, this is the highest-rated so far.

you really did calculate the standard deviation :lol:

PH had some amazing songs (Buzzcut Season, 400 Lux, Bravado, Team and ofc Ribs), I originally recommended Melo as I thought it had a more 'mainstream' sound (like on Supercut). Both albums are absolute masterpieces in their own right though - can't wait for her third one!
Original post by Sinnoh

Take Me To The Alley - 8
Ever After - 5
Kid A - 6.25
Back to Black - 5.83
ABIIOR - 5.75
Back In Black - 6.83

This is SUCH a life saver, I've been massively behind in my thread admin :lol:

what's been listened to so far and recommended :party:

You guys are the best!! :congrats:
Album 22

Q: What's the opposite of Leonard Cohen?

A: Harry Styles

Harry Styles - Fine Line

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7xV2TzoaVc0ycW7fwBwAml?si=_r1fDyXPQ8O3Hmde3xPv3g
Fine Line :blow:

Golden - Upbeat, easy to listen to. Good start. :coma:

Watermelon Sugar - Too fruity for my tastes.

Adore You - He does like his fruit lyrics, doesn't he?

Lights Up - Passable.

Cherry - Fruit. :blow: Unusual outro.

Falling - Think I've heard this one in passing before. It's alright.

To Be So Lonely - Best song so far. Though it is somewhat reminiscent of the Spongebob Squarepants ending theme. :coma:

She - Quite like this one, too. :coma:

Sunflower, Vol. 6 - Think he's growing on me. :coma:

Canyon Moon - Nice. :coma:

Treat People with Kindness - Nice message, but a bit TOO happy.

Fine Line - Melancholic. I approve. :coma:

6/10 from me. Very meh first half, but it seemed to evolve into something very different by the end.
WARNING: i love harry styles and this album 🙈

Golden - unexpected intro, upbeat, reminiscent of other British bands but is very cute and upbeat but with sad undertones, like this album so a good intro nonetheless. Would sound great in an Eve Cornwell VLOG.

Watermelon Sugar - Top 3 on the album its just so catchy and the vocals are so effortless yet there’s something about them that’s sweet and longing.

Adore You - my fav on the album, i like the clean belting on the chorus and the melody is nice. Background vocals are A1.

Lights Up - for me it kind of feels like watermelon sugar + adore you kinda😂 but i love it nonetheless, i love when his voice gets spacy with the piano. The melody and sustained notes are immaculate. This might end up being my favourite on the album in the future. He also ended biphobia singlehandedly which is cute.

Cherry - Yee-HAW, i feel like this is sth I’ve heard before on The Voice or something 🤣 it was good but nothing spectacular for me anyway but i love how somber it got at certain parts and wish that held longer. A different version of this song would be PERFECT with a Lorde feature.

Falling - reflecting on ourselves are we? Okay we’re both insecure little sh*ts, good to know. This is good but doesn’t actually get me in my feelings as much as other songs even tho it should 😗

To Be So Lonely - OMG is that the Latina version of Spongebob Squarepants😍 kidding, kinda reminds me of Cherry. May as well have called this a reprise.

She - quite the ballad this one is, i would like to know who ‘she’ is and what else she did to him. Love ittttt

Sunflower, Vol. 6 - Best on the album Periodt, I’m pretty sure these are songs that could’ve made a 1997 summer playlist

Canyon Moon - campfire music, the name justifies my theory and thus, makes it a befitting name. The album had been getting progressively darker for a while so i enjoyed this😂 but at a point it felt too ‘Nickelodeon’. Harmonies were great tho

Treat People with Kindness - OMG is this a 1980s Broadway musical soundtrack cut? 😍 (kidding😂) nice message.

Fine Line - The transition from the previous song to this as an outro wasn’t too smooth in contrast to overall progression but this sounded like a song they played after the war which was cute. I liked it but i felt it was similar and it did go on a bit. The vocals got gritty which i liked.

This album was Harry’s way of solidifying himself in pop music as an icon and he did just that, the sales and acclaim match it accordingly. In some parts he could’ve done better imho but a good project. 8.8/10

as someone who hasn't been on this thread in a while, and wants to find more music this is great ahah. Love the suggestions too

@Evil Homer I have two album suggestions which I thinkkk is a lot different to the albums that have been listened to before (more indie, "bedroom pop" vibes") 1. Nothing happens - Wallows 2. Pony - Rex Orange County :biggrin:
So for something a bit more current what about Gone now by bleachers
review of fine line :excited:

golden - nice song, bit repetitive but i've really grown to like it. not the strongest song off fine line imo but i still really enjoy listening to it. the music around 2:19 though is :coma: captures the feeling and idea of love so well

watermelon sugar - this song is such a summer song, there's something about it :coma: the horns in this are so good too.

adore you - think this one's my favourite out of the singles from fine line :love: harry's vocals i love here as well as the production. think it flows really well from watermelon sugar too.

lights up - i've heard this song so many times during my shifts at asda, so i'm starting to get sick of it :colondollar: but still a very good song and so interestingly structured!! i think the music video captures this song so well :yes: i like how light it is topic wise but also the awareness that this euphoria can't carry on forever.

cherry - words cannot explain my love of this song :teeth: think i'm a sucker for soft acoustic songs in general. love the lyrics here even though they make me sad :frown: they go seamlessly with the music :yep::heart:

falling - very very good and this song gets me in my feels too :redface: i do think it's rather beautiful though :ninja:

to be so lonely - i am still wondering what that instrument is that sounds like a butterfly wing fluttering?? if you could hear it?? i do really like whatever it is. i really like this one musically :yes: the feelings expressed in this song are confusing, but i like it :yes:

she - :gah: this song sounds like something out of a dream and i adore harry's vocals in this one!! that instrumental part :coma:

sunflower vol.6 - though this song is rather kooky i don't think it gets lost in the kookiness!! the light music in the chorus is :coma: i think sunflower describes this song aptly :yep:

canyon moon - this is one of my favourites, i love the folksy sound to it :teeth: bittersweet but something hopeful about it too :yes:

treat people with kindness - this song is a bit of a grower too, i do like the sudden optimism of this track :lol:

fine line - such a beautiful song to close with :coma:

overall this album is less cohesive and more experimental than his self titled debut, but i still think it's a wonderful album. most of the songs work really well, though i do think the track order could have been changed a little and some of the songs not being as strong as others is just down to my opinion. but musically and lyrically it's very good.

8.5/10
Original post by XKangaotiCX
as someone who hasn't been on this thread in a while, and wants to find more music this is great ahah. Love the suggestions too

@Evil Homer I have two album suggestions which I thinkkk is a lot different to the albums that have been listened to before (more indie, "bedroom pop" vibes") 1. Nothing happens - Wallows 2. Pony - Rex Orange County :biggrin:

i didn't like pony very much, i thought rex's older work was better :colondollar: what did you think of it? :ninja:
I think I am going to give this one a go
Ok now I don't know whether to give this a score or not because I don't know if I actually have an opinion on it or not and that's after listening to it

I do know that I'm very unlikely indeed to listen to it again though.
Uhhhhh
Was a bit apprehensive about this because of the (former) existence of One Direction, whose music I would never go anywhere near to. So in that sense it was kind of a pleasant surprise. I guess with a solo production it'll be a lot less cheesy mass-appeal stuff. Basically I preferred it to Ever After and it wasn't as much of a drag to listen to as Courtney Barnett's album was.
A lot of the tracks though I did not really care about. Ones that did stand out were Golden, To Be So Lonely and Fine Line.
Really not sure what else to talk about. It's probably good but it's not clicking with me. So 5.5/10 I guess.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest