The Student Room Group

πŸ“šπŸ± Non-fiction Book Club! – Neko’s Blog πŸ±πŸ“š

Scroll to see replies

warwick is the 11th best university in the country....
and something like the 60th best worldwide....
it's a russell group university.....
and it's awesome :hugs:

WE ARE GOING TO AN EXCELLENT UNIVERSITY, COLLATE YOUR FACTS AND FIGHT BACK NEKO! :party:
Original post by Raptor Jesus
wheres my tag?:cry2:
i do silent read this you know... :s-smilie:

I'm sorry @Raptor Jesus, I'll make sure to tag @TakeALittleWalk next time too

Original post by Mesopotamian.
The film sounds exactly like Clary and Jace in the mortal instruments :laugh:

Also about your university, as long as you’re happy about where you’re going, then who cares about oxbridge! Warwick is a good university and you should be proud of yourself regardless :yep:

It’s not the uni that makes you, it what you make of the uni :biggrin:

Spoiler

haha dw, i get exactly what you mean, shame my mother no understand :cry2:

Original post by 5hyl33n
@neko no basu and there’s my Indian mum who is begging me to apply to Warwick. πŸ˜‚

:rofl: where else are you thinking of applying?
Original post by neko no basu
I'm sorry @Raptor Jesus, I'll make sure to tag @TakeALittleWalk next time too

thank you :biggrin:
Original post by macy_m
Love the updateeee :woo:

door jay :yy:

Original post by TheStarboy
Warwick is definitely not a second rate uni at all. It's true they are not as well known but even Oxbridge students will tell you that Warwick is a very close second place and in some ways, is better than them. It's a very nice place with a magnificent campus and friendly atmosphere.
you should be delighted and proud of getting in there :smile:

Like @Mesopotamian. said, it’s not about how good the uni is, it's about if you’re happy to go there :yep:

thank youuu, ikr! As you said, I think Warwick is a very good uni! You should try talking to my mum, she doesn't understand :facepalm: she's just swayed by the 'oxbridge' name and all my uncles/aunts/her friends being like "why didn't your daughter apply for Oxbridge? Where even is Warwick???" Thanks for the support, friends and family :redface:

Original post by yzanne
warwick is the 11th best university in the country....
and something like the 60th best worldwide....
it's a russell group university.....
and it's awesome :hugs:

WE ARE GOING TO AN EXCELLENT UNIVERSITY, COLLATE YOUR FACTS AND FIGHT BACK NEKO! :party:

Thank you yzanne! I can't fight against my mum :cry:I'll never win. She was like "ONLY 11th? If Oxford and Cambridge are 1 and 2, why you no apply to #3?" (this is like when you get 98% in a test and the parent is like, why not 100!?)
I don't even know what the 3rd best uni is in the UK, St.Andrew's? Wayyy too far. My mother said "Yeah but Warwick is far too!" hmm... not as far as Scotland but ok mum...
:rofl: where else are you thinking of applying?

UCL, Bath and Surrey. I’m not sure about the fourth one. I’m confused. πŸ₯Ί

I’m definitely not applying to Oxbridge.
Update #16 - 25.08.20:jive:
Salutare tuturor, it’s been just over a month since I started this blog! Time flies by fast.

Starting with some negativity, I wasn’t feeling too happy yesterday because my mum was expressing how utterly disappointed she was at how I didn’t apply for Cambridge because apparently Warwick is a second-rate university that no one’s ever heard of. Ouch, that actually really hurt:cry2:. You can’t blame her too much though, it’s true, in that none of her friends have really ever heard of Warwick (but most of them do live on the other side of the planet sooo I’m not too surprised…) My mum wanted me to apply to Oxbridge (don’t all Asian parents?:facepalm:) or King’s. Reason? They. Are. Well. known. Little does she know that when she means King’s or β€œεΈεœ‹β€ she’s actually talking about Imperial. KCL is in fact β€œεœ‹ηŽ‹ε­Έι™’β€. Tis not the same place, mother:rofl:.
Anyway, I would’ve flunked the admissions test, probably had a panic attack during the interview:awesome: (I had one of those when we did a mock interview in school and had to walk out, and that was only a pretend interview:facepalm:) And if I did get in, I’d probably be crying:cry:. Not of happiness but of fear and dread of finding the course too hard and not fitting in, what a mood:ahee:. (Not saying I won’t cry of fear and dread when I'm at Warwick but hopefully it won’t be as likely) Cambridge is a great place, I just don’t know if I’d be able to handle it because I am, me:five:

Rant over… onto a little film review to brighten my mooooood
Neko’s Nonsensical Film Review – From Up On Poppy Hill:emog:

Set in 1960s Japan, From Up On Poppy Hill tells the story of 2 teenagers called Umi and Shun as they try to save one of their school buildings (used for club and society meetings) from being torn down. The plot is quite simplistic and easy to follow compared to other Studio Ghibli films:yep:. It was a relaxing film to watch and I’ll give it a rating of 8.5/10. The only thing that left me with a sour taste in my mouth was that Umi and Shun like each other but then it’s discovered that they are in fact siblings (incest alert:zomg:) and so Shun tells Umi to forget the feelings they previously had for each other. BUT, she then later confesses to him and says something along the lines of β€œI know we're siblings, but I love you and my feelings will never change” :s-smilie:

important spoiler below

Spoiler

have a good day :smile:
TAGS TAGS TAGS TAGS

Spoiler

Spoiler

Omg Shun you weirdo :afraid: He's the same as Rose smh
Salutare tuturor, it’s been just over a month since I started this blog! Time flies by fast.

Starting with some negativity, I wasn’t feeling too happy yesterday because my mum was expressing how utterly disappointed she was at how I didn’t apply for Cambridge because apparently Warwick is a second-rate university that no one’s ever heard of. Ouch, that actually really hurt:cry2:. You can’t blame her too much though, it’s true, in that none of her friends have really ever heard of Warwick (but most of them do live on the other side of the planet sooo I’m not too surprised…) My mum wanted me to apply to Oxbridge (don’t all Asian parents?:facepalm:) or King’s. Reason? They. Are. Well. known. Little does she know that when she means King’s or β€œεΈεœ‹β€ she’s actually talking about Imperial. KCL is in fact β€œεœ‹ηŽ‹ε­Έι™’β€. Tis not the same place, mother:rofl:.
Anyway, I would’ve flunked the admissions test, probably had a panic attack during the interview:awesome: (I had one of those when we did a mock interview in school and had to walk out, and that was only a pretend interview:facepalm:) And if I did get in, I’d probably be crying:cry:. Not of happiness but of fear and dread of finding the course too hard and not fitting in, what a mood:ahee:. (Not saying I won’t cry of fear and dread when I'm at Warwick but hopefully it won’t be as likely) Cambridge is a great place, I just don’t know if I’d be able to handle it because I am, me:five:

Set in 1960s Japan, From Up On Poppy Hill tells the story of 2 teenagers called Umi and Shun as they try to save one of their school buildings (used for club and society meetings) from being torn down. The plot is quite simplistic and easy to follow compared to other Studio Ghibli films:yep:. It was a relaxing film to watch and I’ll give it a rating of 8.5/10. The only thing that left me with a sour taste in my mouth was that Umi and Shun like each other but then it’s discovered that they are in fact siblings (incest alert:zomg:) and so Shun tells Umi to forget the feelings they previously had for each other. BUT, she then later confesses to him and says something along the lines of β€œI know we're siblings, but I love you and my feelings will never change” :s-smilie:

important spoiler below

Spoiler

TAGS TAGS TAGS TAGS

Spoiler

Spoiler

LMBO. I feel like the whole asian parents and university thing is quite an accurate trope.
Thank you yzanne! I can't fight against my mum :cry:I'll never win. She was like "ONLY 11th? If Oxford and Cambridge are 1 and 2, why you no apply to #3?" (this is like when you get 98% in a test and the parent is like, why not 100!?)
I don't even know what the 3rd best uni is in the UK, St.Andrew's? Wayyy too far. My mother said "Yeah but Warwick is far too!" hmm... not as far as Scotland but ok mum...

No problem :smile: as you continue going there and having fun, she’ll begin to see your point and hopefully, sway to your side :biggrin:
It takes a bit of convincing for them to genuinely support you

important spoiler below

Spoiler

TAGS TAGS TAGS TAGS

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh noooo don't beat yourself up about it- everyone's different, and Warwick's a brill uni too so you should be proud of making it that far! Oh and happy one month blog anniversary (is that even a thing haha??) XD !!!

that is a shame :frown: I'm sorry. :hugs:

Some parents will always be like that, always wanting better and your hard work isn't enough. At the end of the day, you'll end up with a degree from wherever it's from and it's just the next stepping stone. Oxbridge are good, but a lot of companies have complaints in the students they produce. It's not the be all end all. Warwick is an excellent ranking university with an excellent academic reputation in companies!
Asian parents istg :grumble:
Update #17 – 27/08/20:jive:
Π—Π΄Ρ€Π°Π²Π΅ΠΉΡ‚Π΅ всички! Yesterday (or was it this morning? I can’t remember when his acc was deleted) was a sad time for TSR with the loss of @Dell PC , rest in peace my friend:cry:, hope school goes well. Also, welcome back @Synergy.x!

My TSR notifs have been blowing up with arguments and trolling on people’s blogs @SuperiorPotato sad times I feel your pain:cry2:, and my phone notifs have been blowing up about a war against Lakeside hall for who are the true owners of the holy Warwick geese:colonhash:, something I’m sure @yzanne and @gravitydefier can relate to:facepalm:. It’s good banter but also ever so slightly intimidating with over 200 people in the group and all clearly very passionate about geese:eek3:.

Neko’s Nonsensical Film Review:emog:
Anyway, yesterday I finished watching Parasite, yes the film that won the Oscars last year! I’ve been meaning to watch it for a long time and finally got round to it 😊 I had no idea what the film was about before I watched it apart from that it was about a rich and poor family? But as the director of the film, Bong Joon-ho said, β€œthe film is best when you go into it cold”. Wikipedia summarises it as a β€œblack comedy thriller film” if that helps for anybody who hasn’t seen it.
I’m really bad at writing film reviews, especially for a film that holds such high regard in the world of cinema so I’m gonna cheat a bit and just link in a review from The Guardian by an actual film critic.
Great film, full of dark humour and deception, I don’t usually like gory stuff (oops was that a spoiler?:doh:) but Parasite is an exception. Going to give it a 9/10 :gah:

Neko’s Nostalgic Throwbacks:jacko:
Last year, today, my family and I stopped by Florence on our way from Venice -> Pisa. Didn’t have too much time on our hands but managed to pop down to the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Fiore. The Gothic architecture is stunning and the painting on the ceiling of the Last Judgement is also really cool.

~ fun facts ~
1. It took over 140 years to complete. Building began in 1296 but they didn’t have the technology to build the dome yet which is why it was left exposed for many years.
2. The guy who designed and built the domed rooftop had no previous architectural training – pretty impressive I must say

TAGS - RJ, as promised I tagged you 1st :top: and Macy I promised to tag you 2nd :yy: (I think, I've done it anyway)

Spoiler

Π—Π΄Ρ€Π°Π²Π΅ΠΉΡ‚Π΅ всички! Yesterday (or was it this morning? I can’t remember when his acc was deleted) was a sad time for TSR with the loss of @Dell PC , rest in peace my friend:cry:, hope school goes well. Also, welcome back @Synergy.x!

My TSR notifs have been blowing up with arguments and trolling on people’s blogs @SuperiorPotato sad times I feel your pain:cry2:, and my phone notifs have been blowing up about a war against Lakeside hall for who are the true owners of the holy Warwick geese:colonhash:, something I’m sure @yzanne and @gravitydefier can relate to:facepalm:. It’s good banter but also ever so slightly intimidating with over 200 people in the group and all clearly very passionate about geese:eek3:.

Anyway, yesterday I finished watching Parasite, yes the film that won the Oscars last year! I’ve been meaning to watch it for a long time and finally got round to it 😊 I had no idea what the film was about before I watched it apart from that it was about a rich and poor family? But as the director of the film, Bong Joon-ho said, β€œthe film is best when you go into it cold”. Wikipedia summarises it as a β€œblack comedy thriller film” if that helps for anybody who hasn’t seen it.
I’m really bad at writing film reviews, especially for a film that holds such high regard in the world of cinema so I’m gonna cheat a bit and just link in a review from The Guardian by an actual film critic.
Great film, full of dark humour and deception, I don’t usually like gory stuff (oops was that a spoiler?:doh:) but Parasite is an exception. Going to give it a 9/10 :gah:

Last year, today, my family and I stopped by Florence on our way from Venice -> Pisa. Didn’t have too much time on our hands but managed to pop down to the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Fiore. The Gothic architecture is stunning and the painting on the ceiling of the Last Judgement is also really cool.

~ fun facts ~
1. It took over 140 years to complete. Building began in 1296 but they didn’t have the technology to build the dome yet which is why it was left exposed for many years.
2. The guy who designed and built the domed rooftop had no previous architectural training – pretty impressive I must say

TAGS - RJ, as promised I tagged you 1st :top: and Macy I promised to tag you 2nd :yy: (I think, I've done it anyway)

Spoiler

Yeah today has been hectic on my blog :boring: I REALLY WANT TO WATCH PARASITE AHHHHHHHH

Omg that is BEAUTIFUL
(edited 3 years ago)

~ fun facts ~

Spoiler

interesting update indeed - I actually want to watch parasite as it does look good
rip dell and welcome back syn
beautiful architecture

and thanks for the first tag too πŸ˜†

~ fun facts ~

Spoiler

It’s beautiful!!!

Alsoooo 1st the worst second the best rj

~ fun facts ~

Spoiler

Wow I feel like in almost all your updates we have something in common - I watched Parasite with my sister about 1-2 weeks ago! I also had no idea what it was about, apart from a brief description from my sister (who equally didn't know much) about a rich and poor family :five:
Awesome update as usual :thumbsup:

~ fun facts ~

Spoiler

That is very impressive! No architecture training you say.....maybe I could have ago at building thatπŸ€”:lol:
if this ain’t the truth :colonhash:
Update #18 – 03.09.20:jive:
γΡια σΡ ΟŒΞ»ΞΏΟ…Ο‚, I just realised it’s almost been a week since I last updated this. I wasn’t going to update it today either because I haven’t done anything interesting to talk about apart from stress about uni :colonhash: but I will post something because I’ve got some ideas for some posts to wrap up this summer blog but I don’t want to make each entry toooo long which is why I’m spreading it out in several posts :yep:.

Bad news for this blog, I’m going to be ending it soon (might change my mind) reason being, I don’t have anything to update! Normally, I’d update this whenever I finish reading a book/doing a MOOC/watching a film but Mansfield Park is too long to finish before going to uni, the MOOC I’m doing is taking forever because I’m making notes on this one as I go along, leaving just the film reviews (think I might have time to do another 1 or 2 reviews :h:)

In my head, the finishing post/s will be me going through and talking about how much I’ve accomplished the goals I set myself (might do this in 2 posts if it gets a bit long:boring:). I’ve still got a couple of Ghibli films left to watch but idk if I'll be able to finish watching them before the Summer Beach Hut deadline thing so I’m going to do a little Studio Ghibli film award ceremony type thing now (I know, my ideas are getting dumber by the day:awesome:)

~~~~~~~~
πŸ“½οΈ Neko's Studio Ghibli Award Ceremony Thingymajig πŸ“½οΈ

Favourite female protagonist

Spoiler

Favourite Male Lead

Spoiler

Favourite Ghibli animals

Spoiler

Favourite non-human + non-animal character

Spoiler

Sorry for the boring update, I've also realised I haven't do an 'on this day in history' in a long time :doh:here's 3 bullet points to try and make up for my forgetfulness :frown:

β€’

301 - San Marino, one of the smallest nations in the world and the world's oldest republic in existence, is founded by St. Marinus

β€’

1783 - Treaty of Paris ends American Revolutionary War between GB and the USA

β€’

1939 - WW2: Britain declares war on Germany after invasion of Poland

Spoiler

I love the ombre :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest