The Student Room Group

The Pursuit of A*s - A Year 12 GYG, 2020/2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DownRangeLion
I’m a bit stressed out too, so I know where you’re coming from :smile: I think the only thing we can do is trust the schools and the government (I know, tall order).

We’ll get through this; we just need to hold on for a little while longer :biggrin:

:") you are so supportive! much love to you xxx
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Can totally relate about the anxiety - It's even worse for me because I actually have to learn about all these medical conditions and then my brain starts worrying that I somehow have about 33 undiagnosed conditions :facepalm:

oh my gosh! yes, i completely understand that! i think that's why i could never be a doctor hahaha i'm glad i'm not the only one :")
Original post by H4ttie03
Ah yeah I get what you mean about the anxiety as I have an anxiety disorder, it's not a great experience! Ah your spanish lessons seem so much better than mine, I've had 5 so far and have barely learnt anything new, my best friend and I are so much more advanced than the other 3 and it just stresses us out as we arent being pushed as the tecahers have to accommodate for all abilities obviously, so we are gonna speak about it on thurs

ooh wow, you definitely should! that's super interesting because i think the fluent girl in our class spurs the teacher to do the opposite, actually, and speak to ensure that it's not too easy for her! that's such a shame that you've already had five lessons, best wishes for thursday :biggrin:
Original post by bookausten
The First Days: Frantic Lessons, Frantic Life!

hello!

The first few proper days of school have been super interesting! I read somewhere a quote that says, 'Every new stage in your life requires a different version of yourself,' and I'm definitely beginning to see what it's referring to! I have to tell you, I really miss GCSEs right now. My first maths lessons with two different teachers both gave me homework in the span of two days! One was set today and is due tomorrow, so I'm glad that I managed to do that :")
History is super interesting at the moment, too! At the beginning of the week, my classes are focused on the British Empire module which is very interesting, although I am going in on a biased view that I dislike the Empire, so I probably should continue to check myself to avoid the possibility of missing evaluation marks.

I do have to say, going to school in a pandemic is driving me insane! I feel better than I did last week about everything, but there's so much underlying stress that any little thing just seems incredibly huge!

Hypochondriac worries below!

Spoiler

Overall, school is feeling pretty good! I don't want to jinx it though, because during my maths lesson my teacher was going through the examples so fast that when I had made a mistake, I couldn't correct it until after because she had already moved on! But it's okay, I can do pretty much all of the work, it just takes me a few seconds longer than others. In addition, I think I'm ironically allergic to the soap at the sinks at school, so I can only wash the palm side of my hand, yikes.

I had my first Spanish lesson with a different teacher today! This lesson felt a lot less scary, starting with more familiar vocab based on family relations. We're going to start watching/analysing Volver tomorrow which will be exciting!
Also, as I don't have a suitable laptop for school, I got a cute new bluetooth keyboard for my iPad! It's rose gold and I really do love it haha, it really is like a cute little laptop now :")

my lovely tags! :love: (lemme know if you're in or out!)

Spoiler

Good to hear it’s not going too bad :biggrin: If it’s anything like my college the amount of homework will settle down after the first few weeks....(hopefully)...

I have seen a couple iPads with key boards before and they are super cute :redface:

Have a good rest of the week!
Hey, sorry for unsolicited advice, but saw you were using movie subtitles to practice your Spanish - have you tried doing this with movies which are made in a third language that you don't know at all, so you're more forced to use the Spanish subtitles as a tool to make sense of it? I started this with my target lang a few months ago and it's really good as it helps you with reading comprehension and picking out the most important bits 😃 Good luck with Year 12!
Original post by Becca216
Good to hear it’s not going too bad :biggrin: If it’s anything like my college the amount of homework will settle down after the first few weeks....(hopefully)...

I have seen a couple iPads with key boards before and they are super cute :redface:

Have a good rest of the week!

thank you! ooh let's hope so, haha! i'm getting some after every lesson!
aah yay i'm glad you think so ^.^
you too, best wishes :biggrin:
Original post by lovecore
Hey, sorry for unsolicited advice, but saw you were using movie subtitles to practice your Spanish - have you tried doing this with movies which are made in a third language that you don't know at all, so you're more forced to use the Spanish subtitles as a tool to make sense of it? I started this with my target lang a few months ago and it's really good as it helps you with reading comprehension and picking out the most important bits 😃 Good luck with Year 12!

no need to apologise! any ideas are useful for me :,) that is definitely an idea i will keep in mind -- i'll have to gradually build up, though (my confidence has dropped a little bit.) thank you so much for your advice! i really appreciate it :")
:") you are so supportive! much love to you xxx

I know 😂 /j

But honestly things will be fine :smile:) much love to you as well xx :biggrin:
ooh wow, you definitely should! that's super interesting because i think the fluent girl in our class spurs the teacher to do the opposite, actually, and speak to ensure that it's not too easy for her! that's such a shame that you've already had five lessons, best wishes for thursday :biggrin:

Ahh yeah that makes sense! Ik yeah, thank you!
Week One, Done!
So, last Tuesday morning was a bit of a hassle.
If you're sensitive to people talking about their times of the month, don't open this spoiler hahah

Spoiler

Okay! Back to school work, I am a little stunned by the free-reign teachers have over homework. After every single lesson, I get more and more. Maths takes longer for me to complete, so I end up losing time for my other subjects (I have a Spanish piece that could have been done quickly yesterday, but instead I spent it doing maths homework). It’s easy stuff for now, but because I don’t trust myself to get the right answer sometimes, it takes double the amount of time than when others do. Does that make sense? I was going to take Saturday off, but decided that it was too much time just doing nothing and so because I have a double study period on Friday afternoons, I’m going to take Friday evenings off instead hahaha. Just to relax a little bit. A-Levels really are intense! I’m not panicking at the moment because we’ve only just started learning content, and History is definitely my favourite so far! My teacher has such a high energy level that, it's incredible! Tonight, I think I’m going to make my favourite chocolate cookies to make my sister smile as well as giving me a break :smile: I’ll post a photo tomorrow with my to-do list for the day! This week has definitely been eye opening for me, and I think I did underestimate the amount of work we actually have to do. I'm feeling really nostalgic for GCSEs right now, actually -- such a shame we have no choice but to keep moving forwards. (Meet the Robinsons reference haha)
It was also picture day today, so I'm hoping I didn't pull an awful face haha.

I’ll stop talking your ears off now, have a lovely weekend everybody :”)

Tags :D

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Week One, Done!
If you're sensitive to people talking about their times of the month, don't open this spoiler hahah

Spoiler

Okay! Back to school work, I am a little stunned by the free-reign teachers have over homework. After every single lesson, I get more and more. Maths takes longer for me to complete, so I end up losing time for my other subjects (I have a Spanish piece that could have been done quickly yesterday, but instead I spent it doing maths homework). It’s easy stuff for now, but because I don’t trust myself to get the right answer sometimes, it takes double the amount of time than when others do. Does that make sense? I was going to take Saturday off, but decided that it was too much time just doing nothing and so because I have a double study period on Friday afternoons, I’m going to take Friday evenings off instead hahaha. Just to relax a little bit. A-Levels really are intense! I’m not panicking at the moment because we’ve only just started learning content, and History is definitely my favourite so far! My teacher has such a high energy level that, it's incredible! Tonight, I think I’m going to make my favourite chocolate cookies to make my sister smile as well as giving me a break :smile: I’ll post a photo tomorrow with my to-do list for the day! This week has definitely been eye opening for me, and I think I did underestimate the amount of work we actually have to do. I'm feeling really nostalgic for GCSEs right now, actually -- such a shame we have no choice but to keep moving forwards. (Meet the Robinsons reference haha)

Spoiler

Those cookies will be the death of me, I swear. Can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by DownRangeLion
Those cookies will be the death of me, I swear. Can't wait :biggrin:

:biggrin:
Week One, Done!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Honestly periods suck sm, I'm sorry yours are rlly painful mine are like that too it's not fun:frown:
Lol same, this week rlly did hit me for how much work we have to do, it's like we get set more and more each day and theres just so much to do! Ik, I've felt quite nostalgic for gcses as in comparison, the workload was so much lighter and it wasnt as intense as a levels are feeling rn even tho its only second week! Hahaha I'm sure your picture looks great, good luck for next week my friend:smile:
Week One, Done!

Spoiler

Spoiler

That time of month can be awful - some months it comes at the right time (aka days where you can just curl up into a ball and lie in bed all day) - others it just comes at the most inconvenient times :facepalm:

Glad to see you are enjoying history - hopefully your maths teachers will settle down with the homework soon.....

Have a good weekend :hugs:
Original post by H4ttie03
Honestly periods suck sm, I'm sorry yours are rlly painful mine are like that too it's not fun:frown:
Lol same, this week rlly did hit me for how much work we have to do, it's like we get set more and more each day and theres just so much to do! Ik, I've felt quite nostalgic for gcses as in comparison, the workload was so much lighter and it wasnt as intense as a levels are feeling rn even tho its only second week! Hahaha I'm sure your picture looks great, good luck for next week my friend:smile:

aaw you're so sweet! thank you so much ahaha. yep, i knew that people said a levels i intense but was not expecting this haha! thank you again, good luck to you too! :biggrin:
Original post by Becca216
That time of month can be awful - some months it comes at the right time (aka days where you can just curl up into a ball and lie in bed all day) - others it just comes at the most inconvenient times :facepalm:

Glad to see you are enjoying history - hopefully your maths teachers will settle down with the homework soon.....

Have a good weekend :hugs:

that's so trueee haha!
thank you so much!! :hugs:
aaw you're so sweet! thank you so much ahaha. yep, i knew that people said a levels i intense but was not expecting this haha! thank you again, good luck to you too! :biggrin:

Hahaha ikr, thank you!
Weekend work!
So after a long first week, I have my first load of work to carry over the weekend. I woke up at 8, made some cookie batter, and while it chilled I began to do some work. I started with my Spanish homework, rewrote some history notes from the past few lessons, baked off the cookies, and am now enjoying one while preparing to make some maths notes and do some questions to finish off the day. I’ll also finish off a translation homework that kept being interrupted while I did it haha.
The picture is of one of my cookies and my favourite tea mug!

Spoiler

Do you remember when I said that I hadn’t heard of a maths test yet? Guess what happened this morning? I opened my emails to see that I had one next Monday! Most of the topics are okay (Algebraic Fractions, Simultaneous Equations, Quadratics) But I’m dreading the surds topic! If anyone has some handy resources, I will be so so grateful!
-> Watch some Spanish videos :biggrin:
Feels like a lot more than it is hahaha
Wish me luck!

M
y Dear Tags! (Lemme know if you're in or out!)

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Weekend work!
So after a long first week, I have my first load of work to carry over the weekend. I woke up at 8, made some cookie batter, and while it chilled I began to do some work. I started with my Spanish homework, rewrote some history notes from the past few lessons, baked off the cookies, and am now enjoying one while preparing to make some maths notes and do some questions to finish off the day. I’ll also finish off a translation homework that kept being interrupted while I did it haha.
The picture is of one of my cookies and my favourite tea mug!

Spoiler

Do you remember when I said that I hadn’t heard of a maths test yet? Guess what happened this morning? I opened my emails to see that I had one next Monday! Most of the topics are okay (Algebraic Fractions, Simultaneous Equations, Quadratics) But I’m dreading the surds topic! If anyone has some handy resources, I will be so so grateful!
-> Watch some Spanish videos :biggrin:
Feels like a lot more than it is hahaha
Wish me luck!

M
y Dear Tags! (Lemme know if you're in or out!)

Spoiler

good luck with ur test
if u need help with it i can help haha we're doing it too
The cookie looks so good 😋
Good luck with the test and the checklist for today !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending