The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey,
Just wondering what conditions might impact you meeting the health clearance part of your offer? Like Will migraines stop you from meeting your offer?

Thanks!
Original post by Democracy
No. Why would it?

The Medical Physiology and Therapeutics BSc by Nottingham is studied with GEM students and they share lots of lectures together

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/2021/Medical-Physiology-and-Therapeutics-BSc
Original post by MeForPm
The Medical Physiology and Therapeutics BSc by Nottingham is studied with GEM students and they share lots of lectures together

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/2021/Medical-Physiology-and-Therapeutics-BSc

So there's two separate things here:

1) Speaking in general, the exact title of a life sciences degree does not increase or decrease your chances of getting into GEM. That is to say, there is no inherent advantage to having a BSc in biomedical sciences vs biochemistry vs medical microbiology vs anatomy vs pharmacology vs any other life sciences degree. It's not like a BSc medical physiology graduate stands a better chance of getting into GEM compared with a BSc biochemistry graduate just because their degree title contains the word "medical". There is no advantage in sharing lectures with medical students or being taught by medical school lecturers when it comes to getting into GEM; this is actually pretty common at large universities.

2) Some life sciences degree try to entice applicants with the prospect of guaranteed interviews for the top x number of students in a final year cohort (for biomed, physiology, whatever). This is university specific and does not mean you have priority across all GEMs.

You are honestly just better off picking the life sciences degree you're most interested in at the university you'd most like to attend.
Original post by bookwork2700
where did you get your degree from? bc if its from a good uni, I dont see why you cant apply straight to grad med next year, instead of waiting till 2024. . ik someone who did law at Warwick and is now doing grad med now.

GEM courses do not care where your first degree is from. There is no officialy definition of "a good uni".

As far as GEM admissions are concerned, a degree from Open Uni is the same as one from Oxford Uni. The only importance is whether you got a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 or less.

Original post by Anon???
Hey,
Just wondering what conditions might impact you meeting the health clearance part of your offer? Like Will migraines stop you from meeting your offer?

Thanks!

Why would you think that? Are your migraines extremely severe?

Original post by MeForPm

That doesn't mean it will give you a priority.

Post originally created by ecolier.
No they aren’t severe and I can get on with my day after some paracetamol - but they haven’t been able to figure out a cause for them and they come on randomly
Original post by Anon???
No they aren’t severe and I can get on with my day after some paracetamol - but they haven’t been able to figure out a cause for them and they come on randomly

Why would you think that having migraines (or any sort of a headache) would mean you can't study at med school?

Hello I am a nurse how can I apply for mbbs and duration of course
Original post by Jeslin mathew
Hello I am a nurse how can I apply for mbbs and duration of course

What qualifications do you have?

Do you have a nursing degree? A-Levels? GCSEs etc.?

Why do you want to be a doctor?

You could potentially apply to graduate entry medicine (4 years duration) if you have a degree; or as a grad apply to standard undergrad medicine (5 years duration). Both are quite competitive but the former is definitely tougher.

(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! I want to do medicine and I’m in year 11. However I’m only doing 6.5 GCSEs and scoring average grades. Here are my predicted:

English language: 8 or 9
English literature: 8 or 9
Maths: 5 or 6
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
History: 7
Religious studies (short course): 7

If I get 3 A’s (bio Chem included) at sixth form and an average ucat, is it possible for me to get into medical school with such a low amount of GCSEs? Thanks for reading!!
Psychology probably
I need some help for applying for university entry 2022. My gcses are quite low as i was unwell at the time of sitting my exams. I need advice on where to apply strategically .
My gcses : 87666544
(5 in maths, 7 in English language, 6-6 in science)

My predicted A levels:
Chemistry = A
Statistics = B
Psychology = A
Btec applied science = D*

*i qualify for widening access
There are a lot of resources on this website alone.

Here's a link to find out which universities are best to apply to according to your strengths:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

And if you can get that B pushed up to an A it will open a lot more doors as you can apply for the A100 route, because right now you might have to apply for foundation year medicine (Since you meet the widening access criteria), which has a lot less spaces.

Let me know if you have got anymore questions!
what are the chances of me being given an offer for the EMDP at Kings with really bad GCSEs (4=Maths, 65=science, 5=language)? should i retake my maths? what UKCAT score would i need to get to even be considered? and if i got 3As/met the A level critera for the EMDP, would i still have a chance?
Original post by Aj123456aj
Hi! I want to do medicine and I’m in year 11. However I’m only doing 6.5 GCSEs and scoring average grades. Here are my predicted:

English language: 8 or 9
English literature: 8 or 9
Maths: 5 or 6
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 7
History: 7
Religious studies (short course): 7

If I get 3 A’s (bio Chem included) at sixth form and an average ucat, is it possible for me to get into medical school with such a low amount of GCSEs? Thanks for reading!!

It depends - some med schools do ask for or score 9 or more GCSEs, but most don’t. You’ll need to avoid GCSE heavy med schools anyway as they require 9 8/9s usually.

If your school was unable to offer more GCSEs and you can explain that to schools, that may change it as well. Bottom line is if the school you fancy typically asks for more GCSEs, email them and check. You can have a look at the GCSE requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Yasmin670
I need some help for applying for university entry 2022. My gcses are quite low as i was unwell at the time of sitting my exams. I need advice on where to apply strategically .
My gcses : 87666544
(5 in maths, 7 in English language, 6-6 in science)

My predicted A levels:
Chemistry = A
Statistics = B
Psychology = A
Btec applied science = D*

*i qualify for widening access

Come back to us after you have your UCAT and post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038 with all your stats (including your UCAT score) and out experts will advise you.

Original post by AnnonYmoussss
what are the chances of me being given an offer for the EMDP at Kings with really bad GCSEs (4=Maths, 65=science, 5=language)? should i retake my maths? what UKCAT score would i need to get to even be considered? and if i got 3As/met the A level critera for the EMDP, would i still have a chance?

Good A-Levels cannot compensate for missing basic entry requirements.

Aim for the best UCAT score, there's no point aiming for 2600 or something because the threshold can change!

When you have your score, post all your stats to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038 and we will advise.

I am aiming to study medicine but recently, I am slowly losing confidence because of my A level results, for physics, my current grade based on topic tests is between C-D, for Biology, it is at B but it is only because I see the questions in past questions before the test if I am lucky, for chemistry, my grade is not consistent I am alternating between A, B, C, can someone tell me if I have a chance to improve.
I am really trying my best and investing my time in studying, I am naturally forgetful and I have a low IQ but still, I don't want to give up, can someone tell me if these grades are normal in year 12 and if I still have a chance?
This question is for the general public but I would love to have university students studying medicine answer these questions too.
Reply 8596
Original post by AnnonYmoussss
what are the chances of me being given an offer for the EMDP at Kings with really bad GCSEs (4=Maths, 65=science, 5=language)? should i retake my maths? what UKCAT score would i need to get to even be considered? and if i got 3As/met the A level critera for the EMDP, would i still have a chanceYYYr

Yes, you should retake maths
If you work really really hard you might be able to pull up your grades and get into medicine.

If you meet widening participation criteria you can apply for a foundation year which can vary from BBB to BBC; they will have the exact same method of admission so it is just as competitive.

If you are thinking of doing Graduate Entry into Medicine, I would highly advise against it as it is super competitive (more so than undergrad).

PM me if you need any more advice or PM Ecolier as they really know their stuff due to them being a neurology consultant.

Good luck!
Original post by SyedN
If you work really really hard you might be able to pull up your grades and get into medicine.

If you meet widening participation criteria you can apply for a foundation year which can vary from BBB to BBC; they will have the exact same method of admission so it is just as competitive.

If you are thinking of doing Graduate Entry into Medicine, I would highly advise against it as it is super competitive (more so than undergrad).

PM me if you need any more advice or PM Ecolier as they really know their stuff due to them being a neurology consultant.

Good luck!

can you please tell me how much work is 'really really hard' as in how many hours do I need to study or how to study, cos I feel like I spend hours on one thing but I still don't understand it, maybe this affects my grades.
Original post by lovelyDimples
can you please tell me how much work is 'really really hard' as in how many hours do I need to study or how to study, cos I feel like I spend hours on one thing but I still don't understand it, maybe this affects my grades.

Honestly it just depends and one thing to note is to make sure you don't get burnt out. This will have the opposite effect to what you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending