The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Turning_A_Corner
This advice reflects your school’s need for you to apply for something, not necessarily the best advice for you personally. There is value in doing a first degree with a view to doing medicine later, although some may disagree, but you should do that degree because it’s meaningful to you and you really want to study it rather than because it facilitates a specific postgraduate option.

There’s nothing wrong with taking a gap year and applying with grades in hand. Use the next year to really focus on building your confidence and strengthening your grades instead.

the only reason why they’re not encouraging me with a gap year ( I have requested) is that there are other students from my school who are also gonna apply and this is gonna make it more competitive, I also have to get 2A*A to be competitive because medical schools don’t like gap years apparently?? Like I really just wanna do undergrad med to make it easier to get into graduate med it’s just they’re telling my application won’t be competitive with the predicted grades I have. I’ll also have to sit UCAT and BMAT again and buy medify.
Reply 8821
Original post by Georgiamays11
Hi everyone! I’m currently in college and doing apprenticeship at specsaver, I’m studying applied science btec and feel like I made a mistake as I’m first year in. I want to get into med school but I know I need to do A levels to get into, should I drop out of applied science class and join 3 A levels biology chemistry and maybe a human biology? I’m worried what if I failed it, as I did good on my applied science until covid started and it got worst because of online classes and due to my hearing loss which made it difficult for me to understand online classes. I really need a advice, I need to know if it’s something I can do, I’m willing to do anything to get into med school but I’m worried what if I failed it all and it was all waste of time?

Why do you want to do medicine? Do you think you could get AAA at A level? It is difficult to get As, if you can do it great, but if you think you might struggle have you considered alternatives like nursing? Nurses can also have great careers and many choose it because you have the opportunity to care for patients in a more personal way than doctors can. Assessment for nurses is more assignment based, so you don't have to be very good at exams. Maybe try to find an event where you can find out what all the options are in the NHS - there are lots of different roles to suit different people.
Original post by studynutella
the only reason why they’re not encouraging me with a gap year ( I have requested) is that there are other students from my school who are also gonna apply and this is gonna make it more competitive, I also have to get 2A*A to be competitive because medical schools don’t like gap years apparently?? Like I really just wanna do undergrad med to make it easier to get into graduate med it’s just they’re telling my application won’t be competitive with the predicted grades I have. I’ll also have to sit UCAT and BMAT again and buy medify.

This 'advice' you have been given is all so wrong. All medical schools will be fine with you taking a gap year and you definitely don't need A*A*A to be competitive. Do you know what your predicted grades are going to be? As said by TCL, some med schools don't look at predicted grades but if they are AAA, that allows you to meet the requirement at most med schools. Don't let your school put you off applying - do the UCAT early and go to the 'which medical school should I apply to' thread with your GCSEs, A level predictions, and UCAT so we can give you proper advice about what to do
Reply 8823

That is rubbish! Leicester pretty well guarantee an interview with AAA achieved, no medical school which wants AAA for A100 will treat somebody with A*A*A* differently apart from Exeter (when shortlisting) and Edinburgh, Aberdeen and maybe Glasgow. What other people in your school are doing should not affect what you want to do for your career.

That’s why I’m saying apply with grades in hand, not with predicted grades. You also don’t have to buy medify, that’s ridiculous. You don’t have to sit the UCAT or the BMAT this year if you’re waiting till next year to apply. Other people applying from your school ha no direct impact on you’d application so I don’t know where that’s coming from. Medical schools have no strong feelings in general about gap years. Some don’t allow deferred entry (Kent refused to allow me a deferred application) but none of them mind if you’ve taken a year out after school and most of them welcome applications for deferred entry. The only issue I can think of is that there might be some issues around resits as some medical schools have historically been iffy about resits and some still may be. That notwithstanding, there are no administrative obstacles if you decide to delay applying by a year and apply once you’ve achieved the required grades. You’re at no disadvantage. Sounds like your school is putting undue pressure on you to apply.

The one thing I don’t understand from your post is your comment about you wanting to do undergraduate med in order to get into graduate med. what do you mean by this?

As said above - this advice is all wrong.

(1) Do not choose your med school because of reputation
(2) All med schools welcome a productive gap year
(3) Never do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine becuase it'll take longer, cost more and will be much much more competitive.

Your school has a vested interest in getting their students into a uni (preferably an RG one) - whatever the cost it is for the student. Because it'll look good for their stats, even if it's a random course - but for medicine it really doesn't matter which uni you graduated from.

They don't care that if you take a gap year, your life will be much easier. They don't care that if you did a degree, you could be in limbo in 3 years' time.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
That’s why I’m saying apply with grades in hand, not with predicted grades. You also don’t have to buy medify, that’s ridiculous. You don’t have to sit the UCAT or the BMAT this year if you’re waiting till next year to apply. Other people applying from your school ha no direct impact on you’d application so I don’t know where that’s coming from. Medical schools have no strong feelings in general about gap years. Some don’t allow deferred entry (Kent refused to allow me a deferred application) but none of them mind if you’ve taken a year out after school and most of them welcome applications for deferred entry. The only issue I can think of is that there might be some issues around resits as some medical schools have historically been iffy about resits and some still may be. That notwithstanding, there are no administrative obstacles if you decide to delay applying by a year and apply once you’ve achieved the required grades. You’re at no disadvantage. Sounds like your school is putting undue pressure on you to apply.

The one thing I don’t understand from your post is your comment about you wanting to do undergraduate med in order to get into graduate med. what do you mean by this?

If I apply medicine this year and get in a non RG uni but I sit my a lvls and get AAA or above, what universities would take me in via clearing? I’ve been told st George does it but apparently it’s non-RG?
If I apply medicine this year and get in a non RG uni but I sit my a lvls and get AAA or above, what universities would take me in via clearing? I’ve been told st George does it but apparently it’s non-RG?

Stop obsessing about Russell Group. It doesn't matter.

You will also need a UCAT score from last year - what did you get?

I’m sitting it this year. I’m in year 12.
I’m sitting it this year. I’m in year 12.

Well I would never ever bank on Clearing to get a medicine offer - the chances that you'd be successful via Clearing is quite low.

If you're unsuccessful, just take a gap year and reapply.

Remember to apply strategically according to your stats, and not "blindly" because of the name of the med school or whether it's in the Russell Group.

Reply 8830

I don't think you have realised how competitive it is. Many 2021 applicants, even with predictions of A*A*A* would be grateful for 1 offer. My younger son will be applying and should get good grades, but is still approaching it in the expectation it is likely to take 2 years to get in, and would be happy to go anywhere that will have him.
I really want to do medicine but i only have 3 Highers : human bio, chem and psychology... What course can take to get the grades? I dont think i can do any SWAP course as you have to be out of education for 5 years 😫😫
Original post by Hollymacleod2002
I really want to do medicine but i only have 3 Highers : human bio, chem and psychology... What course can take to get the grades? I dont think i can do any SWAP course as you have to be out of education for 5 years 😫😫

Can you do another 2 more Highers?

Or A-Levels?

Hi there, First time poster here! So this year has been pretty crazy and I have been doing some research on graduate entry medicine. This year I have applied to pharmacy and biological sciences but I have always wanted to do medicine. Due to changes in circumstances I’ve not been able to apply to the straight undergrad medicine programme in Scotland. I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice on GEM and what the best route to get to medicine is as I’m still unsure about my choices between pharmacy and biological sciences. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!!
Original post by Strangerthingsxo
...Due to changes in circumstances I’ve not been able to apply to the straight undergrad medicine programme in Scotland...

What circumstances?

Can't you take a gap year?

Since you're new - here's something that you'll hear me say 100, 1000 times in the future: never ever take a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine, because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive.

Just take a gap year and reapply to standard undergrad medicine. It's even more important for Scottish students because GEM in Scotland has even less spaces!!

Original post by leylaMi
Hi guys,

I want to study medicine but don’t have A levels. I have strong science gcse and school results but didn't manage to do A levels due to personal circumstances. I got accepted to warwick biology foundation to realise it is £20,000 and HAS to be self funded. I’m really lost I really need help. Where can I study a foundation program that can be student financed or access courses?
Thanks in advance

Do you still want to do medicine? If you do then never ever do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. It'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive.

Have you looked into Medicine with a Gateway Year (i.e. the "wrong A-Level" courses)? These will be eligible for student finance.

It's best to take a gap year and then aim for those courses. It represents your best path into Medicine, alternatively you could take a gap year to do one A-Level (Chemistry?) and apply to standard undergrad medicine courses.

You moved this and it ate my reply T_T

Original post by leylaMi
Hi guys,

I want to study medicine but don’t have A levels. I have strong science gcse and school results but didn't manage to do A levels due to personal circumstances. I got accepted to warwick biology foundation to realise it is £20,000 and HAS to be self funded. I’m really lost I really need help. Where can I study a foundation program that can be student financed or access courses?
Thanks in advance

So, aside from ecolier's excellent advice, there are some things you should take into account. First of all, are you an international or UK/home fees student? You should be eligible for funding from SFE if you are a UK/home fees student if you apply to standard courses. However "international foundation year" courses are designed specifically for international students, not UK students, and only accept international fee paying students on those courses - hence they are not eligible for SFE funding and have much higher tuition fees.

Note many medical schools do not accept other universities' foundation year courses as meeting their entry criteria. Further, several medical schools don't consider applicants who have started but not completed another degree programme anywhere, and many others strongly prefer such would-be applicants to complete their course and apply as a graduate. You should not look at doing a non-medicine foundation year at university with the intention of reapplying to medicine.

Your best bet would be to look at taking a gap year (or two) and taking A-levels, or if you already have A-levels in the wrong subjects, look at the medicine with a gateway year as suggested above. Note that most Access to Medicine courses are designed for mature students (21 or over) and don't consider younger/school leaver age students to be admitted to the course. Also some such Access courses require or expect you to have some NHS work experience before starting. Bear in mind additionally that not all Access courses are accepted by all medical schools, so if you did go the access route you would need to check with any medical schools you wished to apply to whether the specific access course offered by the particular provider you are looking at is accepted. Sometimes medical schools publish a list of which Access to Medicine courses they accept. Note they usually don't accept "Access to Science/Healthcare" courses.
Original post by leylaMi
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

You need to give people more information if you want advice. Are you a UK student? What qualifications do you have? How old are you? Do you have WP flags?
I am in year 11. I struggle with gcse bio maths and chem. mostly because I’m struggling mentally and have been for years but I cannot think of any other professions that I want to go in to. I am terrified of a level bio and chemistry but if I get AAB-AAA for a level and for GCSEs if I get 6’s in science (except physics which I do not do) and a 5 in maths, will they accept me? Which medical schools accept a 5 in maths? I also only take 6 GCSEs while some med schools require 8ish.
maybe but are you really cut out for it? you're admitting you already struggle with the main prerequisites - it won't get easier

Latest

Trending

Trending