The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Are compilation albums fair game then?

I guess so? :laugh: I didn't realise it was a compilation when it got suggested, but we don't have any rules against them.
Anyway that Smiths compilation was very good. Makes me want to listen to them more now. 8/10. Especially liked the first track.
:bump: for poll votes, winner will be tonight's album. Or we could have a jazz week if it remains split, either works for me. :p:
Tonight's jazz album, decided by dice roll out of the four with votes:

Album #210

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7wX89EWCK8cNZeGnBS5bMG
Sarah Vaughan2

Lullaby Of Birdland - Amazing. Loved the scat around the middle. :yy::yy:

April In Paris - Not bad at all, for a slower, longer track. :yy:

He's My Guy - Nice. :yy:

Jim - Alright. Maybe a bit too slow for me.

You're Not The Kind - Bit more upbeat, I like. :yy:

Embraceable You - Lyrics in this one were a little odd. :laugh:

I'm Glad There Is You - Cute.

September Song - Enjoyed this. :yy: Though it doesn't quite beat Earth, Wind & Fire. :p:

It's Crazy - A lot of fun. :yy:

7/10, definitely started with the strongest track IMO.
(edited 2 years ago)
Sarah Vaughan
Yeah not sure I'd be relistening to this one that much, but I did enjoy listening to it. Definitely more interesting than the Billie Holiday album. Ditto the 7/10.
Album #221

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Moanin'

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2D4kqfmUPMNlVSGpYmNx5X
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'

Moanin - mmm that was good. I like squealing saxophones.

Are You Real - :yy: bit more upbeat

Along Came Betty - bit more moody.

The Drum Thunder Suite - definitely sounds like it. Favourite so far.

Blues March - worked well.

Come Rain Or Come Shine - good

Yeah that was good, decent variety of sounds so it didn't just sound like one long improv session. 8/10
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'

Moanin' - Fantastic intro so many varied sounds! :yy::yy:

Are You Real - Great energy. :yy::yy:

Along Came Betty - Still good. :yy: But a bit slower, I preferred the previous two.

The Drum Thunder Suite - Yeah, have to agree this was the best so far. :yy::yy: Superb drumming.

Blues March - Very nice. :yy:

Come Rain Or Come Shine - Solid ending. :yy:

9/10 for me, really enjoyed it.
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Part 1: "Acknowledgement" - Ooh, this was good. And he gave us some vocals too! :yy::yy:

Part 2: "Resolution" - Probably my favourite piece I've heard from him so far. :yy::yy::yy:

Part 3: "Pursuance" - Nice drum intro, then it escalated quickly! Long bass solo ending was certainty different. Really got into it. :yy::yy::yy:

Part 4: "Psalm" - I'm not usually a fan of overly religious themed lyrics, but apparently they're fine when read using a saxophone. :yy::yy:

10/10 - as someone who doesn't usually listen to jazz, the two other John Coltrane albums we've had were nice background music, but didn't really 'wow' me. For some reason, this one did.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Part 1: "Acknowledgement" - Ooh, this was good. And he gave us some vocals too! :yy::yy:

Part 2: "Resolution" - Probably my favourite piece I've heard from him so far. :yy::yy::yy:

Part 3: "Pursuance" - Nice drum intro, then it escalated quickly! Long bass solo ending was certainty different. Really got into it. :yy::yy::yy:

Part 4: "Psalm" - I'm not usually a fan of overly religious themed lyrics, but apparently they're fine when read using a saxophone. :yy::yy:

10/10 - as someone who doesn't usually listen to jazz, the two other John Coltrane albums we've had were nice background music, but didn't really 'wow' me. For some reason, this one did.

Wait, which one other than Blue Train did we have?
Original post by Sinnoh
Wait, which one other than Blue Train did we have?

#128: John Coltrane - My Favorite Things :yes:
A Love Supreme is 9/10 from me. Listened to it a couple times before. It's really good although idk, maybe is a little too... frantic? Infinitely more listen-able than Ascension though :tongue:
The last of our jazz quartet:

Album #223

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1weenld61qoidwYuZ1GESA
Kind of Blue
Yeah also an excellent album. Flamenco Sketches was ****ing fantastic, the rest of it solidly good too. 10.
Poll is broken, bear with me while I get this sorted out. :ahee:
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

So What - Nice and relaxing. :yy::yy:

Freddie Freeloader - Good stuff. :yy:

Blue in Green - REALLY nice, especially liked the piano. :yy::yy:

All Blues - Great intro! :yy:

Flamenco Sketches - Fantastic indeed. :yy::yy:

8/10 for me, personally preferred some of the faster, more energetic tracks from the previous two albums.
New poll is coming home :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest