The Student Room Group

How do Standard Grade results translate into GCSE grades?

S'up people!! :biggrin:

I was wondering how SGs compare with GCSEs; I thought it was along the lines of:

1 = A*
2 = A
3 = B
4 = C
5 = D
6 = E
7 = F (if there is such a thing at GCSE)?

Forgive my ignorance if this is incorrect, I was just curious. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They don't really. They're different exams with different levels of difficulty.

From what I understand, it's rather more difficult to get an A* at GCSE than a 1 at SG.
wooo that means I got 6A*s and 2As

GET IN!
Reply 3
I think my foundation 6 at Drama (dropped before exam) sounds even more impressively ****e than an "E", really. :wink:
Reply 4
I'd presume so... hopefully cause that means I have 9 A*! (well really 8!)

I'm not sure though... cause SG and GCSE are so different. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
L i b
From what I understand, it's rather more difficult to get an A* at GCSE than a 1 at SG.

And how would you know that unless you'd sat an exam at both levels? You need 70% or more to get a 1 at SG. I read somewhere that 14% is a pass at GCSE and 48% or more is A*. That's probably *******s, but there's no point in claiming that one is worth more than the other. It's what you get in them that counts.
Reply 6
ArcadiaHouse
And how would you know that unless you'd sat an exam at both levels? You need 70% or more to get a 1 at SG. I read somewhere that 14% is a pass at GCSE and 48% or more is A*. That's probably *******s, but there's no point in claiming that one is worth more than the other. It's what you get in them that counts.

Umm... isn't it more along the lines of 80% for A*?
Reply 7
dani2511
Umm... isn't it more along the lines of 80% for A*?

I have no idea, I'm neither English nor an ignorant journalist.
Reply 8
Some GCSE exams do have very low grade boundaries, but those exams have harder questions. Just saying that 70% is an A* or whatever doesn't really work cause it depends on the questions!
Reply 9
well for english it's 90% but it really varies from subject to subject and year to year... anyways, maybe ucas will have a translation table?

and also, gcse grades go up to a G (which is a pass!) but usually A*s-Cs are seen as "good passes" - ie. you need 5 A*-Cs to get into most sixth forms, and D-G grades are intermediate qualifications:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/website/documents/tariff/tariff_reports/btec-nat.doc
this shows the level of gcse qualifications - if you know where scottish qualifications rank on these levels then you can work it out?

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/44608/80766/
Reply 11
oxford count a 1 at Sg as an A* at GCSE for medicine entry im told
Reply 12
ArcadiaHouse
And how would you know that unless you'd sat an exam at both levels? You need 70% or more to get a 1 at SG. I read somewhere that 14% is a pass at GCSE and 48% or more is A*. That's probably *******s, but there's no point in claiming that one is worth more than the other.

In fact, I think there is a great deal of point in claiming that one is worth more than the other if we are being asked to 'translate' them.

I know that by comparing the results and workload I saw of people taking the different exams, and by realising just how easy it is to get a 1 in Standard Grade from my own experiences.
Reply 13
its not THAT easy to get a 1 because you have to get 1s in most if not each element to get an overall one so if there is one part of an exam which pulls you down, it is harder to make up for that in a different part as the precentages are not added together, the score 1,2,3 etc is.

and the year i did standard grade maths (2 years ago) the mark for a 1 in each element was 84%
They change the grade boundaries depending on how hard the exam is that year anyway so you can't really state a percentage and claim it equals a particular grade.
Reply 15
Straight 1 = A*
1 = A
2 = B

and so on...

A straight 1 means that one has achieved a grade 1 in all elements (KU, PS etc.)of the subject
Reply 16
Aren't they changing the standard grades (and highers) anyway to some new grading scheme?
Reply 17
Original post by L i b
In fact, I think there is a great deal of point in claiming that one is worth more than the other if we are being asked to 'translate' them.

I know that by comparing the results and workload I saw of people taking the different exams, and by realising just how easy it is to get a 1 in Standard Grade from my own experiences.

Have you actually taken both exams? No, I highly doubt you have. There is no evidence what so ever in what you are saying that one is worth more than the other and you are talking complete rubbish! I have SG 1's. I failed my prelim and spent 5 months revising so i could correct what I had done wrong and achieve the 1 that I was aiming for! So as someone who actually took the exams, let me tell you it was not easy in the slightest to obtain!!!
Reply 18
Original post by Reezo
Have you actually taken both exams? No, I highly doubt you have. There is no evidence what so ever in what you are saying that one is worth more than the other and you are talking complete rubbish! I have SG 1's. I failed my prelim and spent 5 months revising so i could correct what I had done wrong and achieve the 1 that I was aiming for! So as someone who actually took the exams, let me tell you it was not easy in the slightest to obtain!!!

Frankly I couldn't give two ****s about your half-baked opinion, entirely coloured as it seems to be by some misplaced sense of pride.
Reply 19
Original post by L i b
realising just how easy it is to get a 1 in Standard Grade from my own experiences.

Can I ask what experiences this is please? Have you taught both courses?

Quick Reply

Latest