The Student Room Group

Washing hair with Fairy Liquid

Heyy. Well basically my hair gets greasy the day after I wash it and I heard that washing your hair with fairy liquid was meant to help it in some way?
Is this true? I'm scared to try incase, uh, something happens lol! I'm fed up of having to wash my hair everyday :P

Scroll to see replies

It'll just be like using any weak detergent on your hair so yes, it'll work but I would not recommend putting it all over your scalp because it might irritate the skin a little.
I would be tempted to just find a shampoo specifically aimed at reducing greasiness.
Reply 2
i've never heard of washing hair with fairy liquid, i personally wouldn't try it, but then again it could work?!
maybe you could wash it less? sometimes washing it too much makes it greasy
Reply 3
yes it'd work by stripping the oils from the hair, not something to be done daily, just once in a while i.e. once a month or less frequently.
What if you get dandruff??
I've done it before, but to fade hair dye.
It does fade hair dye, but I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis, it will wreck your hair.
Reply 6
Hmm not sure about that. I have used fairy on my hair before (not because it was greasy but because I put loads of styling products in it for a night out and the next day wanted to give it a thorough clean). I've heard putting a little talc on your scalp/at the roots can help greasy hair because it soaks up the oil... not sure though.

Edit: I think the talc thing works by dabbing some at the roots and then brushing your hair to get rid of the whiteness.
Reply 7
My dad washed his hair with fairy liquid once because the shampoo had run out. Nothing happened apart from his hair turned green.
I wouldn't recommend it... What I DO recommend though (I've recently stopped washing my hair daily), is finding a light shampoo. Don't conditioner your hair every time you wash it. When you're sleeping, put it up. It'll stop it feeling so greasy. :p: I'm hoping to be able to go 3 days without washing it, I'm currently on once every other day haha. I still have a quick bath in the mornings so I feel clean, then I tend not to think about my hair so I can leave it.
Reply 9
My hairdresser told both me and my mum to wash our hair in fairy liquid OCCAISONALLY becuase it will stop it going greasy so easily, you can put it on your scalp, but you might find it itchy if you have sensitive scalp.

But it does work :smile: Give it a try and if you don't like it you can stop using it, but definitely don't use it every day
Reply 10
Thanks everyone. I might give it a go. I won't be using it everyday don't worry :P
pamelaa
Thanks everyone. I might give it a go. I won't be using it everyday don't worry :P

hehe goodo. Also, only use a tiny amount otherwise you'll have fun getting it all out lol
Reply 12
No !!! Don't!

It will make your hair dull, coarse, and dry.

No no.

T-gel? Apply a small amount of lemon juice to your scalp. Then wash with shampoo.
In boots, there are plenty of shampoos for "greasy" hair. Check them out.

Just fairy liquid.....they're used to clean dishes for a reason!
Reply 13
What's T-gel? If you don't mind me asking :P
Don't use Fairy Liquid! Use a proper shampoo and conditioner.
Quite a powerful surfactant and slight abrasive - contains salt etc (exactly why you shouldn't wash a car in it) probably wont do much harm now and again, but why not just get a shampoo for greasy hair (smoething with citrus like lush's jumping juniper)??
pamelaa
I wasn't going to replace shampoo and conditioner (i rarely use conditioner anyway) wit the fairy liquid just wondered if it would strip the grease or whatever, haha. Maybe it wasn't one of my brighter ideas.

It may remove the grease, but your hair is made out of protein, Fairy liquid has loads of enzymes to break protein down, so you could potentially weaken your hair structure. I'm no expert but I would not use fairy liquid to do this even once.

Keep using shampoo regularly.
my grandad didnt use shampoo. just washing up liquid. had a full head of hair until his death bed!
Ever tried washing your hair with a bar of soap:biggrin: ?
Reply 19
MakingMoves
Ever tried washing your hair with a bar of soap:biggrin: ?

*Can't say I have though I'm not sure if you're being serious or not.

Latest