The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

e-lover
Can Sikh's marry muslims? also, is one born a Sikh? AND, does one need to be cremated or can one choose a burial and why?

Thaaaankkss

its frowned upon (both ways)
yes
99.99% of people are cremated
Reply 41
ooooh AAS well you guys took your time...but you have a habit of coming late. lol.

Okay seriously i have a few questions, What is the concept of God in Sikhism?

We were taught about it very briefly in school but greater emphasis is placed on the 5K's, the 10 gurus and your holy book...very little about god.

Also are just a religion which has derived from hinduism?

Oh and why do some of you eat meat while others don't?

Oh and women with turbans...is this compulsory or just out of choice?
nothingspek
Ahh that's really interesting, that we believe in the same God, yet I've always thought Christianty and Sikhism were completely different.

What about Jesus?

Im not sure on the views on Jesus. However, I know that Sikhs see everyone as children of God. However, Jesus is recognised as a parallell to Sikh gurus, in some of his teachings.

Serioulsy, the Sikh religion, is fascinating, people don't give it enough time.
e-lover
Can Sikh's marry muslims? also, is one born a Sikh? AND, does one need to be cremated or can one choose a burial and why?

Thaaaankkss

This is more a cultural thing than, a religious one.

Nevertheless, muslim women are not allowed to marry outside Islam, from my knowlegde.
Reply 44
why do some Sikhs follow the caste system? Is this not against your faith?
e-lover
why do some Sikhs follow the caste system? Is this not against your faith?

Yes, it is against religion.

However, you are confusing Sikh religion and Sikh culture.

The religion, does not recognise castes. However, in Indian culture, caste systmes are followed, and somewhere along the way, the line has becoe blurred.
Sorry if i'm getting terribly confused, but the burkha etc? Is this Sikhism?
nothingspek

nope, muslim
Reply 48
Does the non-cutting of hair apply to facial hair too?
Is it true that the founder or founders of Sikhism were once from the Islamic faith?
nothingspek

No, let's make this clear, women are treated with complete equality, by the Sikhs.

In fact, this quote sums up , the sikh view on women :

"We are born of woman, we are conceived in the womb of woman, we are engaged and married to woman. We make friendship with woman and the lineage continued because of woman. When one woman dies, we take another one, we are bound with the world through woman. Why should we talk ill of her, who gives birth to kings? The woman is born from woman; there is none without her. Only the One True Lord is without woman"
dealbreaker
Is it true that the founder or founders of Sikhism were once from the Islamic faith?

No, Guru Nanak, the founder was raised a Hindu.
Suave
Does the non-cutting of hair apply to facial hair too?

Yeah you see many Sikhs with long beards.
Reply 53
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Yeah you see many Sikhs with long beards.

Does it apply to women too?
I know a very hot Sikh girl...do I stand a chance with her? I'm not Sikh and she seems to be a good Sikh? What's the religious policy on marriage for a Sikh woman to a man who is not Sikh?
Reply 55
Why do some women also wear Turbans and is it compulsory for woman to do so?
dealbreaker
I know a very hot Sikh girl...do I stand a chance with her? I'm not Sikh and she seems to be a good Sikh? What's the religious policy on marriage for a Sikh woman to a man who is not Sikh?

Religiously acceptable.

Culturally frowned-upon.

If you like her, go for it.
2PointZero
Why do some women also wear Turbans and is it compulsory for woman to do so?

Women, wear as a symbol, of there religion. It is compulsory, for whose, who choose to be baptised.
Reply 58
Also can you eat meat and drink alcohol as the mates I have do and say it is ok although other say it is prohibited.
g_star_raw_1989
Religiously acceptable.

Culturally frowned-upon.

If you like her, go for it.

I would want to settle down with her, though, on a long-term basis. How big of a deal culturally is it to the family of the Sikh girl? I don't see how the relationship or marriage would last if the family and the community frown upon the fact that I'm not Sikh. Plus I don't want her to ruin the good relations she has with her family.

Should we get married, would my children be Sikh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending