The Student Room Group

what are the daily duties in a retail store for a sales assistant?

i've never worked in a retail store before, therefore can someone please tell me what are the daily duties in a retail clothes shop? so far i thought of assisting customers, working on the till and stacking shelves?
what else is there for a sales assistant to do in a clothes shop?
Reply 1
Be on fitting room, clearing fitting room rail/delivery rail, processing delivery which entails unpacking clothes and hanging it and then security tagging it. Being on "front" basically standing at the front of the shop and greeting customers whilst having the store net radio if the shop uses store net and you're store net trained. Um....general cleaning, hoovering etc, polishing mirrors. Sorting stock room. Changing displays. Cleaning canteen/staff room as in doing the dishes etc....

The list goes on and on and depends where you work really. I work in Republic. There's always something to do. Boring though after a while. But fun too if you get on with the people there as I do!
Reply 2
Not to mention "standards" which is basically tidying clothes arms all day long. Fun!
thankss this was really helpful!! :biggrin:
Sticking on SALE labels.
Using the telephone - answering queries from customers/other stores and phoning up other stores to check stock for customers.
Sales - checking to see if items are in sale and if so, stickering them correctly and blocking items together according to price.
Possibly opening store cards for customers depending on the store.

Everything else I can think of has already been covered :smile:
Reply 6
Bethany_P
Be on fitting room, clearing fitting room rail/delivery rail, processing delivery which entails unpacking clothes and hanging it and then security tagging it. Being on "front" basically standing at the front of the shop and greeting customers whilst having the store net radio if the shop uses store net and you're store net trained. Um....general cleaning, hoovering etc, polishing mirrors. Sorting stock room. Changing displays. Cleaning canteen/staff room as in doing the dishes etc....

The list goes on and on and depends where you work really. I work in Republic. There's always something to do. Boring though after a while. But fun too if you get on with the people there as I do!

I just applied to Republic at Bluewater!
OP, which store??
Reply 8
ArtGirl
I just applied to Republic at Bluewater!

Oh good luck! I work in the Plymouth one. Worked there since Drake Circus shopping centre opened in October 2006....that is a shockingly long time! I'm leaving when I go to uni in September though. Going to get a job there but fancy a change.

OP also what the other people said about tedious tasks like sticking on sale stickers and price gunning things. I hate sale it gets so messy. Also we have to stay late to do audit where EVERY SINGLE GARMENT has to be scanned and hand counted. Takes ages. Only like once a year though. And sale prep....have to do that on Sunday. Sigh. And ringing other stores for customer orders. I do paper work sometimes too and help to cash up depending who's in work. All pretty mundane and easy jobs really! The other day I had to go out of work for an hour and buy my assistant manager a birthday present with the money we'd all chipped in. Got him an engraved Zippo lighter and a bottle of wine. He was well chuffed! And I got paid for basically being a personal shopper! Good times. :biggrin:

Glad to help though.
Reply 9
I work in an electronics shop and here is what I do....

Give tech advice
Serve on till
Put out delivery
Sort warehouse
Deal with customer questions
Stocktaking
Paperwork
Dust
Hover
Tidying shelves
Speaking to customers on the phone
Greeting customers on entry

Then I also end up......
Fixing tills when they go down
General store maintainance
Arranging advertising
Training new people
Dealing with refunds
Checking CCTV (am the only person that knows how to use it!!)

So in other words just about everything to do with the day to day running of the shop - all for just above minimum wage!
thegman89
I work in an electronics shop and here is what I do....

Give tech advice
Serve on till
Put out delivery
Sort warehouse
Deal with customer questions
Stocktaking
Paperwork
Dust
Hover
Tidying shelves
Speaking to customers on the phone
Greeting customers on entry

Sounds like fun XD
Reply 11
Great fun :rolleyes: Ahh well 35 days 'till I leave :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Bethany_P

Hi, I just read that you work in Republic. I have a job interview this week and I was wondering if you can give me some tips.

Also do you know who is the competitor of Republic? I have feeling that this question might come up in the interview :frown:

Please get back as soon as you can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending