The Student Room Group

Got ABBC at AS-level... is there any point in applying to unis that want AAA/AAB etc?

I got:

A - Politics
B - Economics (5 marks off an A)
B - Philosophy
C - History (did no work for this at all, retaking all modules in Jan)

I think that with a couple remarks and loads of retakes I can get my grades up to AAA/AAB... But don't you have to specify what you got in your AS exams on your UCAS form? Would it make the unis think that I'm stupid to apply for a course that I might not make the entry requirements for?

Hope this question makes sense...and any help would be appreciated.

Btw, my subject teachers have predicted me AAAA, so would this work in my favour?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

The predictions will work in your favour and it'd be easy for you to improve with retakes. I'd say - go for it.
Thanks for that!
Reply 3
What Mrgd said, but make sure you have one or two which require lower entrance grades - just in case. Good luck!
Reply 4
Sorry...Alright...Well...
I got:

A - Politics
B - Economics (5 marks off an A)
B - Philosophy
C - History (did no work for this at all, retaking all modules in Jan)

I think that with a couple remarks and loads of retakes I can get my grades up to AAA/AAB... But don't you have to specify what you got in your AS exams on your UCAS form? Would it make the unis think that I'm stupid to apply for a course that I might not make the entry requirements for?

Hope this question makes sense...and any help would be appreciated.

Btw, my subject teachers have predicted me AAAA, so would this work in my favour?

Thanks

You're in a very good position with your predictions don't worry. I'm not sure what your schools policy is, but most don't cash in AS grade i.e certify them, so you don't have to enter them on the UCAS form. All you enter is "pending" and that's what the unis will see, along with your A2 predictions. Just retake those modules to boost to AAAA and you'll be fine. All the best :smile:
Thanks so much for all of that!
i got the same as you. well, as far as i know i did, i'm having two papers re-marked so it could actually go up to AABB, but those are my grades at the moment. i'm applying to two AAA unis, one AAA/AAB, one AAB and an ABB. absurd optimism maybe, but i'd be happy at any of them so i may as well give it a shot, and so should you! just make sure you write an awesome personal statement. :smile:
Reply 7
Sorry...Alright...Well...
Thanks so much for all of that!

Lol i got exactly the same as you, but the C (Law) I was always dropping :yep:
02mik_e
Lol i got exactly the same as you, but the C (Law) I was always dropping :yep:

same, haha. my C was in maths, i shouldn't have even taken it. i probably would have dropped it and taken something else if it wasn't for my teacher continuously telling me that i would get an A :rolleyes:
rainbow drops
i got the same as you. well, as far as i know i did, i'm having two papers re-marked so it could actually go up to AABB, but those are my grades at the moment. i'm applying to two AAA unis, one AAA/AAB, one AAB and an ABB. absurd optimism maybe, but i'd be happy at any of them so i may as well give it a shot, and so should you! just make sure you write an awesome personal statement. :smile:

I don't think that your optimism is absurd, it's great that you are aiming high. That's near enough what I want to do; apply to unis looking for AAA-ABB. As you quite rightly said, getting into just one would make me happy! Good luck with it all! :smile:
I am in exactly the same situation as you expect i have a 5th subjects do uni's look at Gcse grades and understand you haven't met your potential
Reply 11
MathsStudent
I am in exactly the same situation as you expect i have a 5th subjects do uni's look at Gcse grades and understand you haven't met your potential

GCSE grades are not that important if you have AAA/AAB/ABB predictions. I have a friend who got 2A 5B 1C 1F 1G at GCSE, AS level AABC, Sociology, Law, History & Business studies (which he dropped after AS). AAB prediction and is now in Bristol studying Law. He started off at Politics first, but converted to Law. I think it was really down to his personal statement, no matter how clever you are, if you don't enjoy your subject you want to do at uni then you'll fail and it'll come across in your personal statement. People overlook the importance of the PS, so work hard on that. :smile:
Reply 12
definitely try those Unis..my application had NO AS results except my english which was a B and Lit which was an A as i declined my other grades, and got good offers from LSE, edinburgh, southampton and exeter to do Politics and Economics, i was predicted AABB, but in A levels went down to ABBC, hehe, so i missed my LSE offer, and going to southampton

just retake and boost those grades up, have a killer personal statement, and some unis are lenient if u miss ur grades in A levels, except the top ones like LSE..but soton lowered their typical offer of ABB down to BBBC!! so depends, hope ur a lucky person!!! good luck
YES! You really should apply to one of two AAB or AAB Unis, its worth it as there is a good chance you will get in.

My mate got into Southampton for a AAB course with predicted grades of ABB, and actual AS grades if ACCD.
She managed to boost her grades and made her offer in the end.

Its important to strike the balance, go for a few top end courses and then have a few that would be easily achievable for you. That way you will always have a saftey net as an insurance choice.
im hoping that i dont have to write mine either... as with a remark and a couple of retakes could easily bolster my AABB to AAAA, but again im not going to certificate them and try to get teachers to predict me AAAA, will i get offers based on 4 A2's??

cos if not im gonna try dropping further lol
Reply 15
u shld apply to aab uni's maybe an abb as an insurance, i got A,A(just),C,D,D at AS, and applied to AAA/AAB unis, and ended up getting A,A,A,B(almost A) at A2 and got accepted by the AAA uni(ucl), so yea, if u put the effort in, try hard, DO RESITS!, u will be fine, plus u can go through clearing if u miss the mark
Reply 16
Definately worth applying, especially if your teachers are predicting your AAAA and you feel those grades are realisitic. One of my friends got ABBC at AS too, and ended getting up very close to AAA in his A-levels. No reason why you can't do the same.
You might wanna put some of those grades as 'pending' though, if that's still allowed. Otherwise I really can't see many admissions tutors believing it...
Wow, thanks for all your help... And I'll try to put my grades as pending if my school hasn't already messed that up :smile:
i got ABBB at AS, and am applying to AAA and AAB uni's.... just out of interest what are you hoping to study?

Quick Reply

Latest