The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To reproduce, to continue the species, to provide the next steps for gradual evolution, to help the advancement of humanity, and most of all to make the most of it and to make your existance mean something. Thats what I'd say.
lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Why is heaven a point of life at all?
To reproduce seems to be the point of life at a basic basic level.

BUT

To live life. To enjoy it to the fullest. To experience the highs and lows, to love and to have fun. Make the most of the time here as this is it. Try new things and experience all that the world has to offer in the years that we are able to.
Reply 4
Sovvy
To reproduce, to continue the species, to provide the next steps for gradual evolution, to help the advancement of humanity, and most of all to make the most of it and to make your existance mean something. Thats what I'd say.

thanks, but I want to be really critical so pardon me. Why should I wish to perpetuate something I can't see point in? And if I cant find point in my own life, then by extension there is no point in others (I know that sounds horrible, but it is logical) so there is no reason to make my life mean something to someone equally as pointless.
Reply 5
XxJaninexX
To reproduce seems to be the point of life at a basic basic level.

BUT

To live life. To enjoy it to the fullest. To experience the highs and lows, to love and to have fun. Make the most of the time here as this is it. Try new things and experience all that the world has to offer in the years that we are able to.

Ok, I accept that. But when one makes pleasure the basis of their life, can we not then discard most conventional morals. Does this not justify crime?

You also must admit that this is no substitute to an after life, are the happiest people not the religious?
Reply 6
Logic makes my head spin. As a species, we're not logical at all, so I tend to disregard that arguement in principle, rather than as a practical approach (as I can see where you're coming from.)

As I said though, I do disagree in principle... just because you can say your life has no meaning to you that everyone's else life means nothing. Life is what we make it, I see it as a pound of clay. We mould it to how we want, to what we want, we give it purpose, clarity, definition.

Its too late to be having this sort of arguement, my brain has frazzled, so i'll check back in the morning!
I sometimes see life as a set of puzzles that we are here to solve, generation by generation. I guess its really about reproduction and success, that or to become a rep god on tsr.
Reply 8
you dont have to have a reason to exist for you to exist but you can put as many as you want there to be.
Reply 9
Does there have to be a point? We're all here whether theres a point or not - lets make the best of it.. enjoy life, and make the world a nice place for others to enjoy aswell.. as for morals, i don't see what on earth they even have to do with religion or there being a point to life, you can be an atheist AND a good person aswell! shock horror! so i don't believe in God or heaven or hell, i still want to enjoy my life, still love my friends & family and appreciate the natural beauty and how amazingly and cleverly evolved the world is and do what i can to help other people on the planet.. i don't see why anyone would need the incentive of a nice cushy cloud to sit on after they die to do any of that..
Reply 10
Sovvy
Logic makes my head spin. As a species, we're not logical at all, so I tend to disregard that arguement in principle, rather than as a practical approach (as I can see where you're coming from.)

As I said though, I do disagree in principle... just because you can say your life has no meaning to you that everyone's else life means nothing. Life is what we make it, I see it as a pound of clay. We mould it to how we want, to what we want, we give it purpose, clarity, definition.

Its too late to be having this sort of arguement, my brain has frazzled, so i'll check back in the morning!

lol, this thread is a result of my insomniac ponderings, I am trying to work out the logic... I personaly do not hold those views, I am just trying to work out a logical reason why. But you are right, it is too late for this
lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life?

If there was a heaven, what would be the point in having a life in the first place?
Reply 12
Rabbit Season
If there was a heaven, what would be the point in having a life in the first place?

the ability to ask god?
lazzarus

You seem to answer the question yourself by implying that actually Christ's existence, death and our salvation is the point of life...

By saying 'if this is not true then what is the point of life' is perhaps fairly fitting, as we can all be reassured that, as you point out, the existence of God gives meaning and purpose.
lazzarus
the ability to ask god?

What sort of an answer is that? The way you put a question mark at the end of it makes it seem as though it's really obvious what you mean, but it isn't. Explain yourself. Ask god what?
Reply 15
lazzarus
thanks, but I want to be really critical so pardon me. Why should I wish to perpetuate something I can't see point in? And if I cant find point in my own life, then by extension there is no point in others (I know that sounds horrible, but it is logical) so there is no reason to make my life mean something to someone equally as pointless.

It is almost hardwired into us to reproduce; it is a physical impulse. But the fact that you're thinking about the pure aimlessness of this process is in itself an intervention of the process. When you think about how arbitrary and uncontrolled perpetuation, reproduction and evolution in general is, you believe that there is no point of doing it, and it is this thought which staunches these natural "impulses" and processes, due to its arbitrary and pointless nature. If you think there is no point in doing it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. In any case, usually thinking about the mechanism behind a process which usually happens naturally and without thought causes you to change that mechanism - this is the principle that you are using; because you have realised that the process is "pointless", you think that the process itself is pointless and so you asserted that you're going to stop doing it.

Simply because something is "pointless", however you define it [subjectively, objectively etc.] doesn't imply that you must stop doing it, because the "pointlessness" is intrinsic to the process itself.
Jason Sparks
You seem to answer the question yourself by implying that actually Christ's existence, death and our salvation is the point of life...

By saying 'if this is not true then what is the point of life' is perhaps fairly fitting, as we can all be reassured that, as you point out, the existence of God gives meaning and purpose.

So because lazzarus from TSR can't think what the purpose of life is without god, that proves something?
lazzarus
If you believe there is no god

Have a look at The Bachelor's sig, an atheist doesn't necessarily make this assertion.
Reply 18
n1r4v
It is almost hardwired into us to reproduce; it is a physical impulse. But the fact that you're thinking about the pure aimlessness of this process is in itself an intervention of the process. When you think about how arbitrary and uncontrolled perpetuation, reproduction and evolution in general is, you believe that there is no point of doing it, and it is this thought which staunches these natural "impulses" and processes, due to its arbitrary and pointless nature. If you think there is no point in doing it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. In any case, usually thinking about the mechanism behind a process which usually happens naturally and without thought causes you to change that mechanism - this is the principle that you are using; because you have realised that the process is "pointless", you think that the process itself is pointless and so you asserted that you're going to stop doing it.

Simply because something is "pointless", however you define it [subjectively, objectively etc.] doesn't imply that you must stop doing it, because the "pointlessness" is intrinsic to the process itself.

I dont sugges we stop, I just want to know why we do.
lazzarus, are you going to answer my question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending