The Student Room Group

Is 1 a Square Number?

Heyy
This might seem like a bit of a stupid question, but I was wondering whether 1 actually officially is a square number or not? It's always confused me :confused:
:h:

Secondly, in Binomial Expansion... say you have (a+b)^n, then is it true that n=the number of terms? Any general help on that topic would be great, I'm doing Additional Maths in Year 11 :frown: and finding the whole "combinations" etc. stuff quite difficult
Thanks!

EDIT: I MEANT TO WRITE PRIME NUMBER! woops, I'm really tired, so excuse that =]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, 12=11^2 = 1 therefore it is a square number
Yep, it was recently voted a square number. 1 = 1^2.
cool, thanks :biggrin:
so 1 is offically a prime number too?

ahh that would make sense, as you have to have nCo along with the rest of the terms...=]

Thanks for the reassurance :h: ....yeah, it's just a pain to re-revise all the GCSE stuff again though :p:
Reply 4
chocolatestrawberries
cool, thanks :biggrin:
so 1 is offically a prime number too?

ahh that would make sense, as you have to have nCo along with the rest of the terms...=]

Thanks for the reassurance :h: ....yeah, it's just a pain to re-revise all the GCSE stuff again though :p:

No
yes - square number
no -prime
thank you sooooooooo much this has always confused me
Is 0 a square number?
Reply 8
Original post by Jonny360
Is 0 a square number?

Yes.
1 is not a prime number because by definition a prime number k has TWO divisors: 1 and k :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evazilber57
1 is not a prime number because by definition a prime number k has TWO divisors: 1 and k :smile:

The main reason is that if 1 is considered prime, then you break "unique factorisation", because 5 = 5 times 1 then becomes a different factorisation of 5 into primes.
I am going to eat you
Original post by Smaug123
The main reason is that if 1 is considered prime, then you break "unique factorisation", because 5 = 5 times 1 then becomes a different factorisation of 5 into primes.

Seriously dude
Only when n is a positive integer.
1 is not a prime number as it is divided by one only. Though it is being divided by itself and 1, it is only being divided by one, or itself (if that makes sense😊)
Reply 15
Original post by Erin smith
1 is not a prime number as it is divided by one only. Though it is being divided by itself and 1, it is only being divided by one, or itself (if that makes sense😊)

Hell of a bump..
Reply 16
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Hell of a bump..

I'd put it in my top 5.
so does that mean it is a square number
Reply 18
Original post by bayhouse1345
so does that mean it is a square number

It doesn't look square does it - I mean it's sort of tall and pointy
Original post by davros
It doesn't look square does it - I mean it's sort of tall and pointy