The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SamTheMan
Oh sorry. I didn't realise you were talking about watching it. I thought you meant the sport that requires the least effort... lol

They might even host the world championships in Cannes... somewhere in the south of France anyway.
Did you stare at the sexy players?

yes...they were just about as sexy as chess players...i loved the way thier fat cascaded over thier belts, in the presence of such beauty, i felt a sudden urge to write poetry...but then I was too lazy, and went with my friend Lauren to eat some crepes and by some wine and get drunk...
1) Go out as much as possible.

2) When you find yourself in a mixed group in a relaxed atmosphere, start chatting to a girl.

3) Ask her about herself, where she comes from, what (if anything) she's studying, whether she's enjoying it, what her interests are, where she's been on holiday - basic stuff like that, and tell her similar things about yourself. You should aim to talk 40% of the time, and listen 60% of the time, but for pete's sake use this as a basic guideline and don't sit there trying to work out whose turn it is! Just let the conversation flow naturally.

4) If there is an awkward gap in the conversation, offer to buy her a drink.

5) When you feel you've been talking to her for long enough, and you've decided you like her, say, "I should probably go and see where [insert friend's name here] has got to, but I've enjoyed talking to you. Would you like to meet up for a drink some time?"

If she says yes, then smile and say, "Great, that'll be lovely. What's your number?" Then when you've put her number in your phone, say, "I'll just quickly drop call you, and then you'll have my number as well." (NB - if she reacts negatively to that, it might be that she gave you the wrong number deliberately, in which case don't do it, and don't call her.) If she seems ok with that, quickly ring her phone so she has your number, say you'll call, and say goodbye.

Call within 5-10 days, depending on how keen she seems and arrange to meet up.

:smile:

6) Come back on here and let us know how it went.
Reply 22
If a girl talks about sports on my first date she will be dumped :p: I tell her to find a 'shirt'.

What will I talk about on my first date? It depends on the girls interests but I guess music is the most obvious answer.

I will however remember not to start talking about Gardner engines, Dennis Chasis and Alaxandra bodies :biggrin: As much as I think Dennis Trident MK II's are great I am sure girls don't.

I will also try not to talk about computers or anything related. Music will be the number one topic of conversation, followed by a silly politics debate. Other than I am really not sure what I will talk about. I am not sure what I talk about with my best mate, I am usually too drunk, but Morrissey lyrics and education seem to always crop up!
Reply 23
My view on these kind of things is that you shouldn't really be out looking for a girlfriend. It seems like it's a kind of necessity to get a girlfriend, and there's lots of threads on these kinds of forums along the lines of "I need a girlfriend." I've always thought that this isn't the way it should be.

So what if you haven't had a girlfriend yet? What does that say? All it says really is that you haven't met that someone yet. They're not just fashion accessories you have to have. They're not just cigarettes which you burn for a while and then snub in the ashtray. All these 14 year olds supposedly "going out." All they are really are just friendships.

Oh, and by the way, do your homework on the offside rule. A good one to play. Good luck.
Reply 24
Luckily for me the most girls know about football is that a ball is somthing you kick. This is actually a bit more than I know about the subject other than Rooney is a scally and Beckham earns too much.
Reply 25
hubarabsprog
I am asking beacuse I'm 18 and have nver had one. I'm 2/3s way through my first year at uni and still have no idea where to look. Where does one meet ppl, how does one know if a girl is interested, how does one ask her 'out', what kind of places do you go to, what do you talk about on dates? (the last one is a very important question). Thanks very much for any advice.

Mail-order bride?
Reply 26
talking about cricket with an english girl usually turns into a one way conversation :smile: so dont do it!
puppy
Mail-order bride?

:rofl:
Reply 28
I don't ever seem to have achance to go to societies. There are loads of good ones and i really do need to make the effort.
I know about the not looking thing, but after all this time getting no where it is really depressing. I'm not that bad looking (I've been told) and seem to be well liked, so can't be that unpleasent. But there are times when I think that Harold Shipman is more likely to win a BMA lifetime achievent award then me getting a girlfriend.
I don't want one as a 'fashion accessory' I just want someone to talk to and share some of my life with. I'm sure it would be make very happy, and I hope that it would do the same for here. I have friends, but it isn't the same. I strikes me at the oddest moments - like the other day I was on the train and the seat opposite was empty - sums it up really no-one to talk too, or have fun with. Got so bad I went and paid £30 for a lunch to cheer myself up.
Sorry to ramble, but all advice would be really welcome!
jessicarabbit
how bout- spend less time on the internet...and go out...RIGHT NOW...ill promise ull find urself one...if not, u can always go back to the internet...its not gonna move..its right here...NOW GO FIND URSELF A BEAUTIFUL BABY WHO WANTS TO PARTY...

got it in one

there is no way you can find yourself a girl by sitting on your ass on the internet(and please dont mention online girls!)
hubarabsprog
I don't ever seem to have achance to go to societies. There are loads of good ones and i really do need to make the effort.
I know about the not looking thing, but after all this time getting no where it is really depressing. I'm not that bad looking (I've been told) and seem to be well liked, so can't be that unpleasent. But there are times when I think that Harold Shipman is more likely to win a BMA lifetime achievent award then me getting a girlfriend.
I don't want one as a 'fashion accessory' I just want someone to talk to and share some of my life with. I'm sure it would be make very happy, and I hope that it would do the same for here. I have friends, but it isn't the same. I strikes me at the oddest moments - like the other day I was on the train and the seat opposite was empty - sums it up really no-one to talk too, or have fun with. Got so bad I went and paid £30 for a lunch to cheer myself up.
Sorry to ramble, but all advice would be really welcome!

Look, I really wouldn't worry about it. This can go in two directions - you find someone you like and that's ccool or you just get used to not having a gf and put up with it. As a replacement I higghly recommend that you listen to radio4 and read some good novels.

MB
Reply 31
Did someone mention cricket? You don't want a girlfriend - you can't talk to her about cricket! HR experts will tell you all about "prioritising" and "time management" and they're absolutely right! A girl would only eat into cricket watching time and no girl could possibly be more important than that. You COULD get a winter girlfriend but if you'd got life sussed you'd be in Australia by then.
Reply 32
In fact I don't know why girls don't like cricket.
Reply 33
riccardo

:hmmmm:
Reply 34
Mye... women are complicated, MRLX69 (or whatever his name is) has it pretty much nailed down.

Basically BE prepared for rejection but keep an open mind.
Reply 35
NikolaiJ
Basically BE prepared for rejection but keep an open mind.

And if you get rejected many, many times, keep a VERY open mind...
riccardo

... cause it's boring! I'm wondering why no one ever mentions volleyball?
Reply 37
Natalie Lane
... cause it's boring! I'm wondering why no one ever mentions volleyball?

Are you really wondering, or can I give you the blindingly obvious answer?
Reply 38
kingslaw
And if you get rejected many, many times, keep a VERY open mind...

You're telling me!

God the number of times I've been rejected is humiliating... oh well.

Opens mind slightly further.
kingslaw
Are you really wondering, or can I give you the blindingly obvious answer?

I'm actually serious, it's not only the best one to play but it's the most exciting to watch too - fine so Britain isn't exactly known for it's volleyball teams but still, think of the sport itself

Latest

Trending

Trending