The Student Room Group

Torn Between: UCL + Durham

Well, I have offers for UCL and Durham (st hild and st bede college).

I have visited UCL and really liked the law lecturers and love London in general but my friends at Durham also speak highly of that as well. I am yet to visit Durham.

I am soon to make my choice of preference and was looking for some guidance if you would be so kind as to provide it :smile:

Questions that come to mind are:

Which has better career prospects?
Which has better student life?
Which course is more fun? (I have looked at both courses and have no preference at the moment as I have never studied any law topics)
Whats the male/female split?

Don't say financial issues as I already know UCL will cost more in accomodation and living expenses.

In general, whats your gut feeling over which is the better choice.

Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
London All The Way!!!!!!!!!
In terms of rep/career prospects, its negligible really. The websites or studentwiki should tell you the gender ratio. So the rest is really up to your feeling for either place.
Reply 3
Thing is, with UCL being in London, you pretty much have everything. A great university with a reputation thats highly regarded by employers, good graduate prospects, good teaching records and an unlimited social life to match.
Seriously, Durham uni is right next to a prison. Also, nothing happens there. You just get drunk and that's about it. The females are on average not very good looking. No offence here people, just seriously, Durham is given WAYYYYYYYYYYYY more kudos than it deserves.

There is no help to get an actual career out of a law degree there too. I'd go UCL!
if you likes ucl then go there.

altho going to durham wont exactly be detremental.

follow your heart... how cheesy
Reply 6
Career prospects there's nothing in it, really. Both are of the same standard academically and equally "respected" as amongst our top law schools.

I don't think there'll be any difference in male:female split, both would be the same really. You can check on unistats, I think.

Student life? Well it depends what you're after. UCL is in Bloomsbury, right in the heart of one of the world's major cities. You're surrounded by clubs and bars with plenty to do. I don't think any one can deny London doesn't have more than its fair share of excellent nightlife spots. But whether it's a great student location does come down to cost. It's up to you to decide how much of a negative it is. Do you think you'll struggle?

Durham's going to offer you a more reasonable cost of living (but university accomodation and much of the private housing still ranks as amongst the most expensive in the country). Student life, in Durham, does revolve heavily around sport (both at university and college level). It does have one of the highest participation rates in the country. That doesn't mean you'll feel out of place if you're not sporty (I don't). Then there's student theatre at some colleges although Hilde Bede are more film (they have their own cinema, of sorts). There are a number of cosy pubs where you can have a quiet drink. Each college also has a bar, some of them really are excellent. However, it is a very small city so it will come as no suprise that there are only a handful of clubs (with maybe only two of these particularly good). You will not have the same range as London. Yes, Newcastle is well known and is often voted as the top student and party city in the country. But, if clubbing and serious nightlife is what you're after, don't think you'll be able to travel to Newcastle too often. They are still in completely differenent counties, 20 miles apart and it can be difficult travelling back down to Durham without a taxi (and, even then, you'll need to share with about four others to keep the cost down).

I prefer Durham's location (that will not come as a suprise). I'm not one for large cities, London can be ridiculously expensive (I'm not going to be taken for a jug with the cost of living). Bloomsbury's got great attractions, museums and nightlife nearby, I'm not denying that. It just strikes me as quite bland archtecturally but aesthetics probably aren't important to you. It's just too busy and noisy for my liking but some do thrive on that. Really, you should probably know yourself

They are completely different locations. If you want to be on the doorstep of excellent cultural and nightlife opportunities, thrive on a busier environment and you're willing to sacrificse a little bit more money for this, then UCL. If you're more drawn towards sport, college life, a small and more compact city, quiter nightlife with maybe the occasional trip to a "party capital" then Durham's probably the better choice.

One thing to bear in mind, when you visit Durham, is that the location of the law department is moving. I think it will probably take place during your time at university. It's currently at Palace Green, a lovely location right by the cathedral and on the quiet Bailey. But the university, as part of their redevelopment plans, are going to move it across to the science site (about ten minutes walk away) which is not quite as beautiful. They are also turning Palace Green library (the law and music library) into a Heritage centre. This is so they can display their historical collections and turn it into more of a visitor attraction. As a result the main library's being explanded, with the law collections moving there. So just keep this in mind. Should you chose Durham then, during your time there, the department will be moved.

I'll try and find out which year they are moving.

Antonia87
Thing is, with UCL being in London, you pretty much have everything. A great university with a reputation thats highly regarded by employers, good graduate prospects, good teaching records and an unlimited social life to match.

In Durham you'll have a university that's highly regarded by employers, good graduate prospects, great teaching too. The difference in academic strength and career prospects in negligible.

I wouldn't say London's nightlife is "unlimited". It depends hugely on what sort of a person you are (and how much you can afford it).
Reply 7
bluebellegraphic
Seriously, Durham uni is right next to a prison.

:rofl:

There's a minimum security prison in the city, yes. What about it? You hardly notice it? I really don't know what you're getting at. If you're suggesting you're at a greater risk of being a victim of crime because a prison is there I'll ask you to check the crime stats of Durham and Bloomsbury. There's one heck of a difference.

bluebellegraphic
There is no help to get an actual career out of a law degree there too.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Please explain that comment.
Reply 8
Thanks to most of you who have made sensible replies so far, especially for all that info River85!! The info about the department moving is very useful, I have much to think about then.

:smile: :smile:

Anyone else got any ideas over which one?
Higgy90
durham on the basis UCL is ****

I'm guessing UC rejected you
Reply 10
I'm unbiased, attending neither of those institutions. Both seem top notch for law, but I would personally go for Durham
River, I have a few friends who studied Law at Durham and every single one of them can't get a TC. They're skint and still at home with their parents or doing an unrelated MA.

Personal experience I guess.
Ucl.
Reply 13
bluebellegraphic
River, I have a few friends who studied Law at Durham and every single one of them can't get a TC. They're skint and still at home with their parents or doing an unrelated MA.

Personal experience I guess.

Yes, just like you hear from your friends that Newcastle graduates are discriminated against in the south of England? When Newcastle's a solid, good university, produces in demand graduates who have a much higher than average starting salary.

Your "friends" are only a handful of those who graduated. Perhaps they only managed a 2:2 (or worse), lack experience etc? You think that,, just because a few people are finding it difficult to find a TC, that means no one has a chance of getting a job? We are also in a recession so that doesn't help.

Durham have one of the top law departments and the difference between the two is negligible. It has as a decent history when it comes to producing future barristers and members of the judiciary. Law and the civil service are arguably Duham's two traditional career areas.

Created by law students themsleves

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88536

I'm not denying Durham is lacking in certain areas, social life wise. It is only a small, medieaval city. It's not going to be a clubbing capital. It doesn't even have a proper, decent cinema. It really depends on what you're looking for. There are still some great pubs and college bars, theatre, societies. I don't see all of my fellow students just getting drunk all the time. As someone who probably knows the city reasoanbly well but not the university, don't realise what the university can offer (good job it does, too).
Reply 14
Durham students spend more time having sex than any other students at other unis. FACT. (this might not be a fact) This is due to us having nowt else to do :biggrin:

I love Durham but then again I couldn't have afforded to do the whole London thing so that probs helped dissuade me from veering towards UCL. Do go to the open day for Durham though, HildBede has the fittest men with 50% of the fittest freshers list being there... Dammit.
Reply 15
River85
You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Please explain that comment.
I agree on the career front. There has been very little help in advising me/helping me to find a graduate job. It's appalling.
River you make a good point. No I didn't go to Durham university but I knew hundreds of people there and heard all about their experiences. I'm sure other universities are just as bad and have bad social scenes and what not.

Ever been out in Durham for a night out? DIRE. My friends couldn't not get TC's before the recession ...everyone now feels a bit dejected. Durham is NOT the following university after Cambridge and Oxford. It's the rejects from there that pick Durham to be honest, well from what I've known of my friends experiences.

I'm sure there are plus points! I've just not heard very many :smile:

P.S And to Robbie, I'm sorry to hear that mate. Do they not offer careers advice after you've left? They're supposed to do that. They're essentially supposed to help you in the right direction. They're getting paid enough :smile:
Reply 17
RobbieC
I agree on the career front. There has been very little help in advising me/helping me to find a graduate job. It's appalling.

You're a science student (although I, as an arts student, am in pretty much the same position). I agree the career advisory service could do with some expansion and improvements. But law is one of its traditionally strong areas and it remains well targeted. The annual law career firm is quite large, over two days, with the magic circle firms all represented.

bluebellegraphic
and have bad social scenes and what not.

Social sciences? What on earth are you talking about? Are you honestly trying to tell me Durham doesn't have a good law department?

bluebellegraphic
Ever been out in Durham for a night out? DIRE.

No. I've only studied there for the past four years.

If you actually read my last posts, I admit that Durham is not a party capital and the city is far from "buzzing". It's a tiny city, of course it can't compete with the Newcastles, Manchesters and Londons. What I did say was that there are plenty of opportunities within universitiy life.

Some do actually prefer the Durham way of things which some will find claustrophobic or a bubble, some will prefer the London scene. It's really up to the OP to decide for himself.

bluebellegraphic
My friends couldn't not get TC's before the recession ...everyone now feels a bit dejected

Again, what degree classifications did they get? What experience did they have? Not everyone who graduates from university gets a job straight away. It's a competitive world out there, in law especially. There are also some people who graduated from the very best universities (including Oxford and Cambridge) who fail to land a job. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much.

Look around the bar, look around the magic circle firms, the large national and regional firms. You'll find plenty of Durham graduates. To say you have no chance of getting a job is just complete rubbish.

bluebellegraphic
Durham is NOT the following university after Cambridge and Oxford. It's the rejects from there that pick Durham to be honest, well from what I've known of my friends experiences.

First of all, did I say it was "the following" or "the best" university outside of Oxford and Cambridge? I did not. There are a number of top mutli-faculty universities that come after Oxford and Cambridge (including Durham and UCL). I don't think any one cam claim to be "the best" after Oxbridge. UCL, on the international and research stage, perhaps. But in terms of undergraduate teaching and domestic standing, no.

Also, even if it is just Oxbridge rejects who go there, surely that stil means its students are of a high standard. Of course, that's just a stereotype. It has no more Oxbridge rejects than the rest of our top universities and this is hardly suprising.

What I did say was that it has the greatest tradition in both law and the civil service (nothing about academics). Right now it's certainly well represented at the bar, about as well as UCL.

You have only made 25 posts yet you've ammassed a decent amount of negative rep. I think that says it all.
Reply 18
Thanks again everyone and Higgy90 get off my thread you are not fulfilling its purpose.
Reply 19
Angus101
Thanks again everyone and Higgy90 get off my thread you are not fulfilling its purpose.

I've cleaned the thread up :smile:

Both are academically strong departments and both offer similar prospects. I suppose at UCL you do have access to a wider range of libraries and resources that you will not have in provincial cities. That's probably the only great difference.

So you really don't know which one you prefer location-wise? The bustling, exciting but potentially large and overwhelming capitality city or the more compact quieter and possibly more "claustrohbic" historic city? There's the streotype of both cities there :p:

Anyhoo, about Durham moving their law school, they will not finish the new building until 2012 (I thought it was 2011). So, if you start this year, you may be the final year to study in the old department.

Here's an old TSR thread from August

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=646394

Note the prospective law student (the OP) being very excited about this and the rest of the posters, all at Durham, being disappointed that the university is moving increasingly towards modern buildings outside the city :p:

Hopefully you'll get more answers, particularly from UCL students. But if you want to know more about the student scene then it's perhaps worth posting in the UCL forum.

But please make sure you check Durham out. It's the only way you can really see if it's the right environment for you. If you have any questions about Durham then just PM me. Good luck with the choice.

Edit: - Hmmm...I quoted you twice for some reason. Sorry!

Latest

Trending

Trending