The Student Room Group

Occupational Health checks for a Nursing course.

Apparently a friend doing Nursing at the same university as I am going to didn't have her health checks until after the course had begun. This may be the case with me, however I've had some mental health issues spread across the past year and i'm not 100% sure they will pass me.

Do you know if it is possible to request an early health check for a university course?

And what would happen if I didn't pass the health check and had already started?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm worried about this too as ive had a few mental health probs in my recent past. I think its a bit unfair really to let people start the course before they know for sure they have been fully cleared...any advice would be great
mental health is ok as long as its managed, and not an issue with pratice. It really DOES depend on the uni, USUALLY i've found that you have a check about 3-6months before you start, and then the immunisations when you start
Reply 3
I'm pplying for JMU and rang up and spoke to the admissions tutor before applying. She said most things wont be a problem as long as youve complied with treatment, or have recovered. She said the occupational psyc will also want to talk to any psychiatrists or professionals involved in your care.
I hope that they give the medicals before beginning the course, as id have to leave my current uni course.
I have never met my psyc! i havent seen one for about 8 months, in which time they swapped the guy on me! Ive made great steps in the past 8 months, which includes overcoming self harm and stopping medication. Obviously this Psyc wont know that... so im a bit worried he may not reccomend me for the course :frown:
Reply 4
Oh dear. I have a history of non compliance with medication. :|
Hi here,

Any one else wondering why universities allow students to enrol and then tell them they have to have this medical check up thingy, because if anyone shows up and that person is deemed medically unfit to practice then that person end sup probably being withdrawn from the course becuase they are suitable for being a nurse.

Is this just backwards or what?

I think the whole organisation for new enrolled nursing students is backwards and chaotic, and PLEASE DO NOT GET ME STARTED on NHS Bursary and CRB checks, because that my friend is a completely different kind of nightmare!!!!!!!!!
I'm worried about this too, i have a history of suicide attempts, oh dear.
Reply 7
Would they ever do a test for drugs at all? I don't exactly look the type to do drugs but just incase they want too.... I'm a little bit worried... :frown:
Original post by lrr_017x
Would they ever do a test for drugs at all? I don't exactly look the type to do drugs but just incase they want too.... I'm a little bit worried... :frown:

If you have to fill in a questionnaire, then it will most likely ask if you take recreational drugs, as mine did, and if you don't declare it, it could put you and/or your patients at risk.

If you have to attend an appointment in person, they may do a blood or urine test, not necessarily exclusively for drugs, but if they find traces of them and you haven't said so beforehand, it won't look good.
(edited 12 years ago)
The entire concept of Occupational Health is to find ways to allow you to partake in the course, not bar you from it. They might make recommendations for reasonable adjustments if they feel it necessary, for example the option of seeing a counselor while studying, or working specific hours etc.

With regards to mental health problems, they're quite common in the NHS, and most staff will at some point have suffered from stress or anxiety due to the nature of the profession. OH will probably just want to clarify that you know what you're letting yourself in for, and then find ways to implement a support network so that should the need arise, the help is already there to stop you from becoming ill yourself.

Depression, ED's, Suicide attempts, self harm, they're not a complete bar to the profession. If anything having had the experience in the past, might make you more valuable as you've got experience as a service user!

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to panic, it's not as scary as it seems.
Reply 10
What about anorexia, I'm worried I will fail due to low bmi
Original post by sabahaaa
What about anorexia, I'm worried I will fail due to low bmi

They probably won't look at your BMI in your OH checks, unless it's a factor in general poor health. So long as you are currently fit and well enough to take part in the course it'll be fine.

Nursing is hard physical work, with long hours, heavy lifting and few opportunities for rest. If you are underweight and in poor condition you may lack the strength and endurance required to safely care for patients, potentially putting both the patient and yourself at risk. If this is the case then OH may have issues with you going on certain placements and will probably try to get some sort of plan in place to enable you to participate. If it's not possible to plan a way to get you fit to practice then you might have problems staying on the course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Now I'm worried about being overweight! So happy to have offers for uni but dreading the OH assessment!
Reply 13
did you have your OH health check yet?......am due mine and worried about the same thing x
Does anyone know if you need to have a health check for both your firm and insurance offers, or is it just one which covers both uni's?

The same goes for DBS checks. I've filled in the forms for my firm offer, but haven't heard a thing from my insurance.

Original post by Fruitbat77
Does anyone know if you need to have a health check for both your firm and insurance offers, or is it just one which covers both uni's?

The same goes for DBS checks. I've filled in the forms for my firm offer, but haven't heard a thing from my insurance.

just for your firm normally
Original post by AsystoleUK
Oh dear. I have a history of non compliance with medication. :|

That may be an issue ...

basically the University has to assure itself of three things

1. you do not pose a risk to others
2. you do not pose a risk to yourself
3. that the streesses and pressures of a pre-reg course are not going to make you unwell

somewhat related to that is therisk of you falling temptation to diversion of meds ( although that is rather harder for students than it is for qualified)
Original post by DoctorFourteen
Now I'm worried about being overweight! So happy to have offers for uni but dreading the OH assessment!

what's your BMI ?

if it;s 20 - 30 i really wouldn;t worry

if it;s low 30s and you are physically fit and have no weight related health problems i doubt it will bew a problem but you need to check with the HEIs in question

if it;s under 20 or above 35 there may be issues
Original post by zippyRN
what's your BMI ?

if it;s 20 - 30 i really wouldn;t worry

if it;s low 30s and you are physically fit and have no weight related health problems i doubt it will bew a problem but you need to check with the HEIs in question

if it;s under 20 or above 35 there may be issues

I d always thought 18.5 was just in the healthy range, good thing I m trying to put weight on so will probably hit 20 before my health check in August only got 4lb to go to reach it :smile:
My uni asked us to complete occupational health stuff before I started so doing it after you start makes no sense. In our one, we had to disclose any medical conditions we had or have and our immunisations history.
As long as you're honest with them, they will help you as much as they can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest