The Student Room Group

STEP Maths I,II,III 1987 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Well, people do have the questions...

Try Dystopia's link again, in another browser, or on another computer, or after clearing your cache - because it is working for me.

If that fails, send me a PM (with your email address) and I'll dig up the papers on my harddrive
Dystopia
STEP III, Q6.

Spoiler

This question also had a fairly automatic (albeit somewhat time-consuming) solution. Would this method of turning two linear simultaneous differential equations into a single second-order differential equation have been taught at the time? It's in both of the mechanics books I've been using (one old, one new).

But I don't think your two solutions satisfy the original differential equations.
brianeverit
But I don't think your two solutions satisfy the original differential equations.

Thank you. Fortunately there was only a very small error towards the end which I have now fixed (along with some symbolic inconsistency).
Dystopia
This question also had a fairly automatic (albeit somewhat time-consuming) solution. Would this method of turning two linear simultaneous differential equations into a single second-order differential equation have been taught at the time? It's in both of the mechanics books I've been using (one old, one new).
I don't remember seeing it (and 1987 is only 2 years after I did A-levels). Pretty standard to see in a maths methods book though.
when you click on the link of the papers, you get junk sites. why is that? the same with mathsexams.tk
STEP III

question 1)

Take n to be 2r + 1

Clearly (n-1)! = (2r)!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Factorial.html

(2r)!=2rk=1rT2k1 (2r)! = 2^r \prod^{r}_{k=1} T_{2k-1}

with Tn T_n the nth triangle number = n + (n-1) + (n-2) + ... + 3 + 2 + 1

We stated n was odd so we can ignore all powers of 2 from this identity and it follows that if we want n to divide (n-1)! then n must have prime divisors that are present in the product;

k=1rT2k1 \prod^{r}_{k=1} T_{2k-1}

T1=1 T_1 = 1

so really we are only concerened with the product;

k=2mT2k1 \prod^{m}_{k=2} T_{2k-1}

However the nth triangle umber is the sum for the first n numbers;

i=1ni=n(n+1)2 \sum^{n}_{i=1} i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2}

We want n to have prime factors that are present in the product

T1×T3×T5...×T2r1 T_1 \times T_3 \times T_5 ... \times T_{2r-1}

So given n, we need its prime divisors to be present in the product;

1×3×5×...×(n2)(n1)2 1 \times 3 \times 5 \times ... \times \frac{(n-2)(n-1)}{2}

ofcourse you might expect the product of the first (n-2) odds to be a bitch - it certainly it is.

This dosen't even mention even n.

This post is just some thoughts and any information that anybodyd else attempting might find useful when tackling.
DeanK22: I suggest you start off by looking at the first few n and seeing if n | (n-1)! (you shouldn't need to actually evaluate (n-1)! if you think about it).

That should be enough to give a hypothesis (and probably also a plan of how to prove it).
DFranklin
DeanK22: I suggest you start off by looking at the first few n and seeing if n | (n-1)! (you shouldn't need to actually evaluate (n-1)! if you think about it).

That should be enough to give a hypothesis (and probably also a plan of how to prove it).

Wrote a few but not really getting the idea.

If A is the set of n such that n | (n-1)! then A' = { n | 4 or prime}

not really progressed from this though? any hints?
Reply 188
If n is composite, n = ab, a<(n-1),b<(n-1)
SimonM
If n is composite, n = ab, a<(n-1),b<(n-1)

i tried this but couldn't show that ab could be represented completely by (n-1)!

unless i am being mega retarded and it is dead simple

(for example consider n and (n-1)! , the prime factors of n are p1n×p2m×... p_1^n \times p_2^m \times ... and then I couldn't show that there wouldn't be a case when the exponent for a prime factor of n would exceed the exponent of the same prime factor present in (n-1)! (except when n is prime which is a trivial case)
Reply 190
DeanK22
i tried this but couldn't show that ab could be represented completely by (n-1)!

Why not?
SimonM
Why not?

still having diffiulties - do you have a solution?

Spoiler

Dean: I would split into two cases (for composite n>4). n can be written as ab with aba \neq b. Or n can only be written as b^2 (in which case b must be prime, although that doesn't matter).
The first case should be obvious. The second case is almost as obvious.

big spoiler

Reply 193
STEP III, Question 1

Spoiler

DFranklin
Dean: I would split into two cases (for composite n>4). n can be written as ab with aba \neq b. Or n can only be written as b^2 (in which case b must be prime, so it doesn't matter).
The first case should be obvious. The second case is almost as obvious.

big spoiler

oh yea that was kind of a simple question i was making a hash of. cheers DF
Reply 195
STEP III, Question 2

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 196
STEP III, Question 9

Spoiler

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(iii)

Spoiler

(iv)

Spoiler

brianeverit
STEP I numbers 13-16
Again if anyone could check them I would be most grateful.

Okay, I might be wrong here, but after doing this question (which did trick me out at first), your solution to question 13 looks wrong to me:

Spoiler

brianeverit
1987 STEP Fma numbers 12 -16

Another problem - Question 13.

Since cushions are smooth and vertical, velocity
parallel to cushion is preserved on impact so disc always
rebounds at the same angle as it strikes cushion
(see diagram)

I think that your reasoning is incorrect, and would apply iff e = 1. Consider the fact that One of the velocities' components after the first bounce may be changed (due to e1e \leq 1) and the other unchanged, which automatically implies that the angle of rebound will not equal the angle of incidence.

The way I did it:

Spoiler

Reply 199
STEP III, Question 8

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending