The Student Room Group

Bocconi University

Cheers,
I consider going to Bocconi Uni in Milan and I have few questions:
1) Is it difficult to get into Bocconi in comparison to UK universities?
2) I heard that it's really easy to get a scholarship if you are an international student. True or False?
3) Is it possible to find a part-time job in Milan?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ducar, Why is it rubbish? I've just enrolled into that course. darn.
Reply 2
Bocconi is one of the best Universities in Europe...
just a question : warwick Economics or bocconi International Econ, Management and Finance?
Reply 4
bocconi- but only because I'm going for the BIEMF programme (super-biased) :tongue:
comique
bocconi- but only because I'm going for the BIEMF programme (super-biased) :tongue:

ok :biggrin: ,did you apply to uk unis to?
Reply 6
nope. My GCE 'A' level is AAAA/b, but I can't afford the full price of tuition n cost of living in London which is like more than 20K/yr pound for sth like LSE (I'm indonesian). Whilst bocconi gave me a full tuition scholarship.
I'm also accepted at some of the best US undergrads like Richmond (ranked 10 in 2009 by Businesswk), but can't afford it because it didnt give me any aid.
so... ciao Milano! LOL.
Reply 7
tommyvillegas
just a question : warwick Economics or bocconi International Econ, Management and Finance?

it depends where u see your future career! Bocconi is like a job guarantee in italy..and it has a great rep in Austria and Switzerland..though arguably, some people say that u get the best Economics education in England and the US
Reply 8
After I read this topic I have found that people are having general idea from rumours... Let me say my own experience... When I landed first time landed in Italy one of the passengers described me as the most courageous person he knows. He admired my adventure with university in Italy– that as a teenager I came to completely unknown country, speaking precisely no Italian, knowing nobody from university. Looks hard isn't it? However, I am still here and I am still more then satisfied with my choise! What are the benefits of studying in Italy,Bocconi? Some people can hardly find any, but I found on the very first minute when I heard about Bocconi! I was an IB student and eager to study abroad. I was so excited to have an opportunity to come to Italy, get to know the culture, people, language. It is really worth going to Bocconi.
Regarding Ducar111 Posts, I would like to say, that I've spoken to many business people all around the Europe. Everyone had only positive feedback about the students who finished Bocconi and works in their businesses.
Finaly, I would like to tell a story about one Lithuanian Business man who has graduated Bocconi. He got a scholarship from Bocconi and after his studies he became the president of the biggest company in Lithuania! Before the studies he was just an ordinary person... But Bocconi let him achieve greatness!
Try it for yourself!
Reply 9
UB stud
After I read this topic I have found that people are having general idea from rumours... Let me say my own experience... When I landed first time landed in Italy one of the passengers described me as the most courageous person he knows. He admired my adventure with university in Italy– that as a teenager I came to completely unknown country, speaking precisely no Italian, knowing nobody from university. Looks hard isn't it? However, I am still here and I am still more then satisfied with my choise! What are the benefits of studying in Italy,Bocconi? Some people can hardly find any, but I found on the very first minute when I heard about Bocconi! I was an IB student and eager to study abroad. I was so excited to have an opportunity to come to Italy, get to know the culture, people, language. It is really worth going to Bocconi.
Regarding Ducar111 Posts, I would like to say, that I've spoken to many business people all around the Europe. Everyone had only positive feedback about the students who finished Bocconi and works in their businesses.
Finaly, I would like to tell a story about one Lithuanian Business man who has graduated Bocconi. He got a scholarship from Bocconi and after his studies he became the president of the biggest company in Lithuania! Before the studies he was just an ordinary person... But Bocconi let him achieve greatness!
Try it for yourself!

Good news about Bocconi :smile: Did you do an undergrad there or also masters?
Reply 10
Hello, I'll be joining Boccocni MSC in Finance in september, looking for roomates, pm ciao :smile:
Reply 11
guy have you any idea how bocconi is at innovation management? is it too hard to get the merit scholarship? is it worth it?
Reply 12
rofrir
is it too hard to get the merit scholarship? is it worth it?

The minimum is to get a GMAT above 700, plus a motivational letter.
I'll try it for 2nd year :tongue:
Reply 13
thanks, have you applied for the course yet? I have heard Italian universities are not so reputable, one of my friends was admitted but didn't go. what dou think of Italian universities as a whole?

thanks if anyone answers...:yes:
Reply 14
well Università bocconi is a bit different from the rest of Italian universities: check the rankings of FT, WSJ or Times HE, you will find out that Bocconi is among the best business schools in EU and ranked within the CEMS Program (www.cems.org) 1 worldwide for its Master in International Management
Original post by Ducar111
if u r intending to apply for the course taught in english language("International Eco/Man) let me tell you: My friends in Milan say its rubbish! Its consired as "corso da pennello", which means its more of a "time killer" that actual study...the courses for which bocconi i famous are "Economia aziendale"(sort of Business Administration and Mangement) and "Economia e finazia"(economics and finance)...

and yes: Bocconi likes international applicants! however it does not encourage people to work during their studies...but milan is a big city with plenty of bars where to work..also: Italians are rubbish at english(apart a few exceotions) so i reckon u could make quite a lot of money by teachin english...gd luck 4 ure application!

Given the comment by Ducar111, I feel I should presents some facts about the BIEMF programme at Bocconi. First, the first three semesters of the BIEMF are very similar to the first three semesters of the degree courses offered in Italian, meaning that after the three first semesters, students can freely move across those programs offered in Italian and the BIEMF. Typically, no one transfers away from BIEMF, whereas many choose to enter the BIEMF. After the first three semesters, students embark on their chosen major, with courses taught by the best Bocconi Professors. The key difference with the BIEMF, apart from being taught in English, is that the courses have a strong international focus. This is all to say that the statement by Ducar111 is rather imprecise and his "friends" are not correct in their statement. Prospective students should do careful research before entering their chosen university. I hope you do not base your choice on imrecise and sloppy statements such as the one made by Ducar111.

Arnstein Aassve
BIEMF programme director
Original post by Ducar111
mhh..it isn't rubbish..i was defs being too harsh. But it is not a secret that bocconi is not a very competitive uni. it is one of the few private unis, so they sometimes take people in, just because they need the money.
The general application ratio is 2:1 per place (that's what i've been told by an admission tutor of bocconi, Mrs Roth), so its nowhere near LSE or Oxbridge for instance.

also u should consider, that u will be taught by mostly italian professors, whose english is not necessarily good. If u wana study economics in english, then u should do it in england!! some people say, that the italian courses at bocconi are better because professors teach in their mothertongues!

anyways..bocconi is a good uni, so its defs worth thinking of..it is certainly a good back up, as they give unconditional offers:biggrin:

Again, I need to make a response to Ducar111. Bocconi is recruiting professors at the International market, and those teaching on the BIEMF do so in part of their english skills (they are carefully vetted beforehand). To the prospective students considering starting a Bachelor in Economics, do not think those teaching in the UK are necessarily very good in english. Places like LSE and UCL also recruit professors at the international market, which means that those assigned to teach on the undergraduate programs do not necessarily have english as their mother tongue. Let me also point out that the reputation of the Econ department of Bocconi is excellent, and at par with UCL, LSE, Warwick and so on. If you are thinking of studying Economics (in English) - Bocconi would be a very good place.

Arnstein Aassve

BIEMF programme director
Original post by tommyvillegas

Warwick has a great reputation in Economics, though Bocconi is certainly at par. The key difference if you choose the BIEMF at Bocconi is that it has a strong International flair - also in terms of the student mix. For the current intake we have students from around 40 countries. That said, going to Warwick is also a safe bet to get a good grounding in Economics.

Arnstein Aassve
BIEMF Programme director
Reply 18
Original post by rofrir
thanks, have you applied for the course yet? I have heard Italian universities are not so reputable, one of my friends was admitted but didn't go. what dou think of Italian universities as a whole?

thanks if anyone answers...:yes:

I think I can answer you quite fairly from the point of view of an Italian native. It really depends on where you go. First of all, you should not consider at all the universities in the south of Italy. Those are not good, and even if they were, they have such a bad reputation that graduating there would be just plain useless.
There are, however, some good universities (depending on which subject you want to apply for). For example, the language centre specialized in translation in Trieste is very well known and I can assure you of its quality and reputation. If you manage to get in, you won't be dissatisfied.
For Economics and Law, Bocconi is possibly the best choice in Italy. I would add that it is not true that Bocconi is not very competitive. It is true that it is easier for international students to apply, but, especially for natives, it is very difficult to get in. Bocconi has very high standards and tends to admit only those who have good grades and potential. Also, even if the admission criteria may seem a bit lax, you must take into account that in Italy we have a totally different system than in England. Admissions are usually the fairly easy part - it then gets difficult when you have to "survive" your first year. Most students fall out after the first year, so don't think that just because a lot of people have gained entrance (which will probably not be the truth, anyway) the University is not competitive. That being said, if you are interested in going there, you should not be discouraged by this at all! If you have interest and enthusiasm for the subject, you should manage quite well.
Another excellent university in Italy (arguably the best, especially in scientific subjects) is the Normale di Pisa. It is notably a selective university, but the standards are very high. For medicine, the best one is the Sapienza di Roma.
All these universities are private; there are some state universities which are still very good (the University of Bologna is the oldest university in Europe, founded in 1088, and is excellent for Law, and Padua (Padova in Italian) has gained a very strong reputation in the last decade).
So, I wouldn't say that Italian universities are terrible as a whole, but I really suggest you make an informed choice, if you decide to go there. It is no use choosing a low-rate university, for one. Also, you should consider that is true that Italians don't generally speak a great English. But, you have to consider two things: first, that is not true for everyone, especially for academics. If you apply for a course in English, you will probably be taught by competent teachers, who know the language. Secondly, this enables you to really learn the language. I mean, what point would there be in going to a foreign country and only speak English?

I hope I have been useful. Feel free to ask any further questions you have! :smile:
Reply 19
I am an international student from the USA. I am considering studying at University of Bocconi. Being an international student, are the qualifications very difficult to get in? I have made all A's and B's in high school and I was wondering if anyone knows if that is enough in order to get in. Also if my grades are sufficient, then is that all I need grade wise in order to get accepted or do i have to show my AP scores/ SAT or ACT scores? If anyone could help me that would be great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending