The Student Room Group

Spring weeks (and first-year internships?)

When do applications for Spring weeks usually open? Also, does anyone have a list or can anyone point me to some investment banks that do Spring weeks?

Also, I did a quick search, but, am I right in thinking you don't really get first-year internships?

Cheers for any help :smile:

Also, is there such thing as an autumn week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
El Mariachi
When do applications for Spring weeks usually open? Also, does anyone have a list or can anyone point me to some investment banks that do Spring weeks?

Also, I did a quick search, but, am I right in thinking you don't really get first-year internships?

Cheers for any help :smile:

Also, is there such thing as an autumn week?

Applications open around October time I think, can't remember exactly.

Banks that offer spring weeks:

Goldman Sachs: IBD, Securities
JP Morgan: Spring Week, Industry Impressions (Autumn)
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
Deutsche Bank
BNP Paribas
Merril Lynch
Credit Suisse
RBS: Divisional Spring Weeks
UBS
BarCap

HSBC offer a 1st year summer internship in Retail Banking.

I think that's it.
Reply 2
Nomura as well (for girls only...)

Autumn internships are only for rising second years.
Reply 3
LoZEr
Applications open around October time I think, can't remember exactly.

Banks that offer spring weeks:

Goldman Sachs: IBD, Securities
JP Morgan: Spring Week, Industry Impressions (Autumn)
Citigroup
Morgan Stanley
Deutsche Bank
BNP Paribas
Merril Lynch
Credit Suisse
RBS: Divisional Spring Weeks
UBS
BarCap

HSBC offer a 1st year summer internship in Retail Banking.

I think that's it.

That's perfect, thanks!

Hmm, retail banking..not really into that to be honest.

I think I might try to get some summer experience at some smaller hedge funds next year. If anyone knows any that do this sort of thing, let me know!
what do these spring internships expect of you? I am thinking that most people won't have much theoretical knowledge by then, so what will the interviews, etc. consist of mostly?
Reply 5
Dave_McDougall
what do these spring internships expect of you? I am thinking that most people won't have much theoretical knowledge by then, so what will the interviews, etc. consist of mostly?

Just competencies, your interests and understanding of current affairs/markets (not much on this).

As is obvious, interviews can differ according to answers you give though. i.e could get technical.
Reply 6
Dave_McDougall

At 10 am., a private Gulfstream G650 takes off from New York, headed south to the Caribbean island of St. Bart's, traveling at a speed of Mach .9. At 11 am., a private GulfstreamG550 takes off from St. Bart's, headed north to New York, traveling at Mach .885. Both jets fly at 50,000 feet on parallel flight paths. When the aircraft pass each other somewhere over the Atlantic, how long after seeing the G650 will the owner of the G550 kick himself for not going top-of-the-line? (Answer should be expressed in nautical miles.)
What is the EV of one pound?
alphagamma
At 10 am., a private Gulfstream G650 takes off from New York, headed south to the Caribbean island of St. Bart's, traveling at a speed of Mach .9. At 11 am., a private GulfstreamG550 takes off from St. Bart's, headed north to New York, traveling at Mach .885. Both jets fly at 50,000 feet on parallel flight paths. When the aircraft pass each other somewhere over the Atlantic, how long after seeing the G650 will the owner of the G550 kick himself for not going top-of-the-line? (Answer should be expressed in nautical miles.)

Answer: He doesn't. His egotistical, ex-M&A passenger does after the rented Swedish lingerie-catalogue model next to him smirks.
Whilst at the same time, the ex-sales wishes he was serving the drinks aboard the other plane.
Reply 10
uthinkilltellu
What is the EV of one pound?

£1.6*10^-19

:yep:
alphagamma

wtf?

are these seriously the type of questions asked?
guesstimating the distane from new york to st bart's and then make an equation??
Reply 12
Dave_McDougall
wtf?

are these seriously the type of questions asked?
guesstimating the distane from new york to st bart's and then make an equation??

in nautical miles too... which remember, are different to miles.
alphagamma
in nautical miles too... which remember, are different to miles.

:rofl:

Anyway, back to the thread...
Nabster_88
Just competencies, your interests and understanding of current affairs/markets (not much on this).

As is obvious, interviews can differ according to answers you give though. i.e could get technical.

lol, totally missed this.

Reply 15
Goldman Sachs also offe OTF (Operations, Technology and Finance) Spring Internship
Are there any around Manchester? I will be starting my BA Econ at Manchester this Sept and I know that many of internships/spring weeks are based in London. Also, I know that Manchester isn't one of the "big names" for Econ course, so what are my chances of getting into internships/spring week??
Reply 17
michy_witchy
Are there any around Manchester? I will be starting my BA Econ at Manchester this Sept and I know that many of internships/spring weeks are based in London. Also, I know that Manchester isn't one of the "big names" for Econ course, so what are my chances of getting into internships/spring week??

I would say approximately 2%.
flugestuge
That is a serious underestimate.
Say around 2.01%
Approximately of course.

Oh great! so there isnt really any point of me applying? would straight As at Alevel help?
Reply 19
michy_witchy
Oh great! so there isnt really any point of me applying? would straight As at Alevel help?

LOL, its a joke. There are several reasons why there is no way on earth we can give you 'your chances':

1) All we know is that you are doing Econ at Manchester.
2) Even if you showed us a resume, all anybody can say is you got a good chance, or you dont have a good chance, which doesnt mean squat.
3) This forum is in general full of uni/A-level students

Honestly, your uni means that you are starting behind Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick candidates and all that anyone can say is that if you have two equal candidates but one goes to Oxford and one goes to Manchester, the Oxford one will get the job. That means that you will need to make sure that you stand out.

Other than that, if that puts you off applying then you should probably look elsewhere, and stop trying to get some kind of ego boost.

Some constructive advice:

-learn as much as you can about the industry

-follow the markets (and not just the FT) and develop your own opinions. Try to create theories and then see how they pan out.

-get a first in your first year. It might be difficult becuase everyone you know will want to just have fun cuz the first year doesnt count (atleast at my uni), but if you want to put yourself in good position for summer apps then you need to have more than the standard 2.1 (this comes back to the point that there will be a lot of ppl from the top unis applying with firsts, so you cannot show up with a 2.1 and hope for good things to happen).

-get some relevant work experience in the summer after your first year. Make sure you look everywehre and exhaust all resources, case in point, when I was looking for a place this summer I sent off 50+ emails, and not one was interested. Then a couple weeks later I was contacted by a firm that I didnt contact that I could come in for an interview and that they got my resume from some other firm I contacted.

-get a good range of EC's with leadership positions.

-if you really want to shine, get relevant part time experience during the academic term. Although realize that getting this relevant experience will probably mean you will not be paid.

-get your interview skills up to scratch, none of that BS that everyone says, have a story. (A good site for this is mergersandinquisitions.com)

-Get good at numerical tests, I heard somewhere that between 20-30% of applicants dont pass them, dont be one of them.

-Make sure not to have a resume that will be put in the 'worst mistakes on resumes' thread at WSO.

-Once you have all the above things, remember to not be a tool.

These are some things off the tip of my tongue and a compilation of general advice.

Good luck.

Btw, I am only now applying for summer apps, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending