The Student Room Group

No friends = boring summer

Im one of those people with not so many friends, and i hate it. Im friendly with people, but i only have 2 or 3 close friends that i actually hang out with. Its not that i dont like meeting new people, i just dont tend to ever get invited out with people, because no one considers me to be a close friend. To make matters worse, i recently broke up with my boyfriend, and even though we're still quite close, i dont see much of him either.

I just feel like this summer's going to be loooong and boring, and i really wish i could be one of those busy people who's always doing things and seeing people. I feel like such a loser when people ask what ive been up to and i have nothing to talk about, because ive literally done nothing.

Does anyone know what i mean? Like, im not unpopular, but i feel like as soon a school finished, people just forgot about me because i dont fit into any friendship groups.

I really want to keep myself busy over summer and see people, but im too shy to ask people if they wanna do stuff, because im scared it'll be awkward, or like im intruding on their groups. Any advice? xx

Scroll to see replies

same here. The only friends I have are the ones I play football with.
I could have written the same paragraph myself.

Try doing things with the small number of friends you have.

Don't get down because you don't get invited out. Too many people are absorbed in their own friendship groups and have no time for anyone else in the world so don't include people which is nasty really.

I'm sure someone appreciates you :-). My last few summers have been virtually friendless and spent doing nothing.
The same has happened to me this summer tbh, and has never happened to me before, but I understand what you mean. Call up your close friends often, this is what I did, because chances are they're not hanging out with any friend groups either because you are their 'friend group', if that makes sense. This summer I was planning on doing all sorts of stuff with friends but I did something very stupid and I hardly have any of them left. =/

OP, If you can afford it, take some summer courses somewhere. This is what I'm doing starting next month, you get to meet new people, enjoy yourself, and just generally have fun.

Good Luck. :smile:
Reply 4
Make friends with PM me
OP, are you at uni or have you just finished school? Just that answering that question can explain a lot.
I can sort of relate to this... I have about 3 close friends, quite a few college aquaintances and quite a few old school friend aquaintances, but am not in a friendship group. A lot of my time has being taken up by the gym but being very bored otherwise. I feel part of it is because I used to be extremely quiet so have a bit of a rep for being boring (but I have honestly changed now)

I'm not sure exactly what I'm gonna do, but I've narrowed it down to these being the possible options for me, perhaps you can relate to this?:

Drop it in to my close friends that I've being dead bored lately, haven't being to any parties or anything and hope they let me join their friendship group for the summer.

Do nothing, concentrate on going the gym etc over the summer and just go back to college "changed" and hopefully next year is a more social year than the last.

Start talking to my old school friends over facebook and see if they want to have a little catchup to see how we have changed since school

Start talking to my aquaintances over facebook and see if they wanna get to know me better.
Reply 7
Me and my girlfriend broke up five days ago after being together two years. Our first summer together we made out every other day :P

Now I have one close friend left and I see him every so often. I can relate OP, as i'm sure many of us can.
Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I can't be asked to hung around with ppl because you end up doing things they want to do, on my own I can do what I like.
Reply 9
I'm in the same situation OP - I plan on going to visit some cousins every few weeks, of course it helps if you have some who live far away (but not too far like 300 miles lol)
Reply 10
Yeah, summer seems to take away your lack of drive and purpose.

We all need some kind of project...
This is me. I've been in bed all day the past few days because I have nothing/no-one to leave the house for. The few friends I do have all have plans. Sucks :s-smilie: Plus I have no money so I can't afford to do anything or get anywhere. Sucks x2 :frown:
Unlucky, I have a couple of friends who I can call who will do anything with me when I ask really. Also I have a group of friends who always invite me to the pub whenever they go down, so I see them every week, hopefully I'll build up my group at uni and that should be enough for me.
Hmmm, I actually feel unpopular right now, which is a rarity for me.

Actually, it's never happened before. I've never been home as much as the last few months. Sucks really. Alot of it's my own fault now too.

Fml.
I'm broke. A lot of my friends are out the country or far away enough that I'm to broke to go hang with them (i.e. london). Oh and I'm broke.

FML
Friends are over rated
I would be in exactly the same boat, I've got friends but i can't get anywhere from where I live. However, I am working all summer so I don't have any time to get bored.

Alternatively, why not see if you can arrange something via facebook and organise a massive group get together... why not, see how it goes and then you can arrange something again in the summer :smile: :smile:
You only get bored if you are a boring person. It's completely in your own hands to sort this out by doing interesting things. Get a job and get some cheap flights on ryanair/easyjet and go somewhere. You don't even need to go with anyone, and you don't need to meet anyone while you're whereever you are but at least you get to see a new place and have something to talk about.
Anonymous
Unlucky, I have a couple of friends who I can call who will do anything with me when I ask really. Also I have a group of friends who always invite me to the pub whenever they go down, so I see them every week, hopefully I'll build up my group at uni and that should be enough for me.

You just said you didn't have no friends? :confused:
football mad
You just said you didn't have no friends? :confused:

I am anonymous 5 if you check properly, why are you on TSR, this forum is for the academic elite.:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending