The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Whats BCU Perry Barr campus and the area like?

I know there's been a couple of threads for this already, however I couldn't find anything too recent about this.
I'm thinking of applying for September and was just wondering what the campus is like, and what the local area is like to live in? I read from posts from 2-3 years ago that the area is rated as pretty run down by a lot of people - is this still the case?

I intend going to the next open day to see for myself, but it would be nice to know before.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
The Perry Barr area in itself isn't the greatest part of the world, however when I visited the Open Day I was very impressed with the campus itself. I can't possibly comment on what the living situation is there as I'll be finding out myself in September, but as for the Perry Barr campus, it isn't even half as bad as people make out. :smile: Please don't listen to all the negative comments about BCU and the campus; I didn't have many expectations when I went there for the Open Day and was pleasantly surprised. You can't really make your mind up until you have seen it, but I can happily say that the university have taken a lot of time in making the campus and the university decent looking and respectable so in my eyes, it's a pretty good place. :smile:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :smile:
That's made me feel a little better after all the negative comments I'd read! I'm gonna have to go and have a look round and see... it can't be all bad!
The courses look good which of course is a plus.
Reply 3
Perry Barr isn't the nicest area of Birmingham but, in all fairness, it's not that bad to live or study in. I moved there from halls for my second year and liked it enough that I'll be living there in third year. There's an okay-ish shopping centre called One Stop opposite the uni campus and Asda and Tesco have stores in the area too. Buses to and from the city centre are frequent and the trains run every half hour.

I didn't live in the neighbouring student accommodation but my friends who did seemed quite happy with the living conditions, particularly in Oscott Gardens.

Hope this helps! What course are you thinking of studying?
Reply 4
Thanks for your post :smile:

I'm intending to do media and communications, which seems like quite a popular course.

I was just concerned about the amount of people who said there's been a lot of muggings and violence, and something about a stabbing?

But at least there are some positives.... doesn't sound so bad now :smile:
Reply 5
That's interesting - I'm on that course right now. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. :smile:

Those kinds of crimes are endemic to any big city, but as long as you have some common sense about you (I know it's a cliche) - e.g. not walking around quiet, poorly lit areas at night, keeping valuables concealed etc. - you should be fine. Also, a lot of the violence happens between gangs, or between gangs and the police, and members of the public aren't usually involved.
Reply 6
Ah well then that's good.... I think I can avoid doing those! From what I read before it sounded like a 24/7 warzone! But as long as it can be avoided that's good :smile:

Yeah that it is interesting.... how are you finding the course? Are you doing a pathway or the general media/comms degree??
Reply 7
Perry Bar is a mega depressing and often violent part of Birmingham. Avoid.
Reply 8
Thanks for your comment.... seems like quite varied opinions.
The area doesn't sound great by all means, but the course seems pretty good :s-smilie:
Reply 9
hey,
Im at birmingham city uni at the moment, going into my 2nd year. The university itself it ok it was the only university close to where i lived that did the course i wanted, even though i got excepted into hull, portsmouth and coventry i decided i wanted to stay close to home. Iv often said to my boyfriend i cant believe they built a university in perry barr. Not a nice area at all i dont like traveling through it never mind living there. The university is ok though if it is a course you really want to do then just go for it it is not like your going to live in the area forever.
Pm me if you want to know anymore.
Reply 10
Thanks for your opinion too :smile:
I had a look at the area last week and it did seem pretty run down. The worst bit I thought was the subway you have to use to cross the road - is there any other way? I definitely wouldn't want to use that on my own or in the evenings?
Reply 11
Have not visited the campus or Perry barr ( other than Onestop) in 20 yrs - but starting a degree this sept !! surprsied the subway is still open - Subway is useful to train station , but most others places are accessiable

by other routes guess most people would croos either near "the onestop shopping" or at the roundabout further up.

For those who don't know the area, and/or are put off by its repuation , would be better to concentrate time either on campus , in B'ham City centre ( buses run from outside campus ) , Pavillion ( sports centre) or look further north ( Sutton Coldfield)
Reply 12
dezza
Thanks for your opinion too :smile:
I had a look at the area last week and it did seem pretty run down. The worst bit I thought was the subway you have to use to cross the road - is there any other way? I definitely wouldn't want to use that on my own or in the evenings?

That is the way i went over the first time i went to see the university and i had the same thoughts as you but there is traffic lights up the road and you can cross there so you dont need to go under the subway unless you want to, lots of student walk under there very rare you would be walking under it alone, more like in a huge crowd of students.
The leutures are good at the university, and the univeristy is not to strict! What course are you thinking about doing ?
Reply 13
Ah right ok - that makes me feel a bit better about the place now!
I'd be doing media and communication... what are you studying there?
Reply 14
im doing crimology and psychology, going into my 2nd year.
I dont think there anything rong with the university really, just the area. You dont need to spend anytime in the area as the bus stops right outside the university that go's stright into the city centre.
Reply 15
hello everyone,

I read some of you are already studying at BCU and others are going there in september. I`m transferring to BCU this year for a second year on the media and communications course. I did my first one at Univeristy of Beds and I would be happy to talk to people from the uni. feel free to contact me:smile:
Reply 16
i don't know about the uni, but Perry Barr is awful, filled with chavistanis and dirty as hell.
the area is crappy.
Original post by dezza
Thanks for your post :smile:

I'm intending to do media and communications, which seems like quite a popular course.

I was just concerned about the amount of people who said there's been a lot of muggings and violence, and something about a stabbing?

But at least there are some positives.... doesn't sound so bad now :smile:

WOOO I might be doing this too but did you know it's popular (over 1,200 applications this year) but only 110 people get accepted onto it :smile: so if you either have an unconditional now or when you get your grades, get in, count yourself lucky.

That sort of stuff is media hype. Birmingham I'm afraid isn't a ruff place, it kinda looks run down and ghetto-ish in Perry Barr but it's honestly fine! I used to go to the University of Birmingham and yes there's a BIGGGG difference but in terms of crime and stuff it's all just hyped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending