The Student Room Group

Is classical music for the middle/upper classes?

Hi, I live in London and as such I come across all sorts of backgrounds and classes and whatnot. It always strikes me that less affluent people NEVER listen to classical music, and when I suggest it to them they laugh it off as some sort of foreign concept.

Is there a reason why it tends to be the educated/affluent/culltured peolpe that like classical music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LK-7pluQA&feature=rec-HM-r2

How can you not like those masterpieces!?!?

Scroll to see replies

No idea, just a culture thing. Crying shame, mind.
Reply 2
1001 Chiko
No idea, just a culture thing. Crying shame, mind.

Indeed :frown:
Reply 3
It's just not to some people's tastes. I think it's often an acquired taste too, so you need to hang around the kind of people who already listen to classical music (e.g. classically trained musicians, who tend to be fairly well off to afford the lessons). I developed my taste for classical music through the pieces I've played on the piano.
Reply 4
I just don't understand why these people won't at all appreciate classical music. They are closed off from a world of genius. Clearly it's not to do with money, 'cos you can download classical music for free....unlike say the theatre which is rather expensive.
I would consider myself from a working class background and I love classical music.
I don't think i would if i wasn't a musician mind.

My mam listens to it in the car sometimes when i tune into Classic FM.
i'm not exactly from an upper/middle class background and love classical music. i think it depends on upbringing/ tastes etc, considering my mum exposed me to classical music from a young age. i think it totally depends on what people have been brought up with.
I like some classical music but it may be due to playing instruments - it makes me think better - and I don't think I'm middle/upper class.
Or maybe I am? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
I am black and middle class and i don't like classical music even though i used to play the violin(forced) and the piano. I think its a cultural thing!!!!
Kyle_S-C
I developed my taste for classical music through the pieces I've played on the piano.

Similar story for me, I'm really big on choral music only because I've spent 10years+ singing it as a boy chorister and then choral scholar.
How do you know the majority of the middle/upper class listen to classical music? We need proof people.
Reply 11
No, not really. I frequently listen to classical music, whilst smoking my cigar, adjusting my monocle, rocking in my armchair, sipping some whiskey . Oh wait, yeah it is for the upper class.
Zadok the Priest. :drool:
Reply 13
I come from what is probably an upper-working class background. My parents don't like classical music but i love it, especially Handel, Rameau, Albinoni, Corelli and Bach - i'm a baroque boy! But then i love classic literature and (while i know nothing about it) art as well so i'm unmistakably middle-class in my tastes.

While concerts may be quite expensive to see, CDs/downloading classical music is relatively inexpensive so there is nothing physically stopping people from a lower income background enjoying classical music. maybe it's the mere association people have with classical music and stuffy, uptight middle/upper-class people - they judge the music based on its traditional audience rather than the music itself.

But i'm of course making generalisations. i'm sure there are many people who enjoy classical music and who would also label themselves as working-class.
MadMatt
Hi, I live in London and as such I come across all sorts of backgrounds and classes and whatnot. It always strikes me that less affluent people NEVER listen to classical music, and when I suggest it to them they laugh it off as some sort of foreign concept.

Is there a reason why it tends to be the educated/affluent/culltured peolpe that like classical music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-LK-7pluQA&feature=rec-HM-r2

How can you not like those masterpieces!?!?

Never? You're sure about that? I live in London, I live in a council house in a council estate, divorced parents, and I've played the Viola in orchestras (and now my university orchestra) since I was around 11. My mum always listens to it, and we're pretty working class.

You're sure about 'never' then?
Reply 15
love.to.love.you.
Never? You're sure about that? I live in London, I live in a council house in a council estate, divorced parents, and I've played the Viola in orchestras (and now my university orchestra) since I was around 11. My mum always listens to it, and we're pretty working class.

You're sure about 'never' then?

You know what I meant, you're a rarity, and good on you.
MadMatt
You know what I meant, you're a rarity, and good on you.

'Good on you'? I don't need a pat on the back for being cultured tbh..
Reply 17
love.to.love.you.
'Good on you'? I don't need a pat on the back for being cultured tbh..

I wasn't trying to be patronising. But if you're living in a council estate surrounded by chavs left, right and centre then you've done pretty well to become cultured.
Most people I know opt for the "it's boring" argument :dontknow: I like listening to it personally. Background noise as you're relaxing or going for a walk, 'tis awesome :yep:
no.

Latest

Trending

Trending