The Student Room Group

Engineering Apprenticeship VS Engineering Degree at Uni

Hello Chucks!
Im having a slight dilemma and don't know where else to post this thread and whatever so i thought id post it here :smile:

I'm a B/A Grade A level student and I'm keen to go into engineering of some sort and Im waiting to go back into year 13 to study Maths, Chemistry and French A Levels (Yes just the three unlike these flaming einsteins that are taking like 23 and yes no physics but hey ho :biggrin:)
I am supposed to apply for Uni next year.

Soo, Not knowing which part of engineering to go into i was initially thinking of doing either the Integrated Engineering Or Mechanical Engineering Degree at Cardiff University (Which didn't specify Physics as a needed A level)
Using my 6 weeks off constructively i thought id do some more work experience at the closest available engineeringy place to have something even more engineering related to put on my personal statement for Uni.
However the experience in the engineering offices with the uni graduates was not as expected and i found it extremely boring having nothing to do.
Soo, i sort of wandered off and carried out the rest of the two weeks on the shop floor with some of the apprentices which i thoroughly enjoyed :woo:! Having found a part of engineering that i enjoy Aerospace engineering seems to be the way to go for me.

However after talking to a lot of people I realised that this place does a really good apprenticeship scheme that gives you a level 3 NVQ and a BTEC certificate in aerospace engineering at the end of the three years, Guarantees a job at the end of it, has great opportunities to move up the ranks in the company and be sponsored to do a HND or a university degree if the company thinks you are 'able'.
I am considering applying for this apprenticeship as it seems the best way forward for me. I'd rather not choose a University degree that im not entirely sure i want to do and have this risk that i might not end up with a job at the end of it. The more i think of it, I think the idea of going to Uni in the first place was based on the hype of being one of the higher achieving students at my 6th form and I dont actually think im ready to go to university :s-smilie:.
Do you think im making the right decision in choosing to do this apprenticeship with the intention of going to Uni when i feel ready??
Is there anyone else thats been faced with the same sort of dilemma??
Any advice is much appreciated :yes:
Thanks!
032bbabbijl
Hello Chucks!
Im having a slight dilemma and don't know where else to post this thread and whatever so i thought id post it here :smile:

I'm a B/A Grade A level student and I'm keen to go into engineering of some sort and Im waiting to go back into year 13 to study Maths, Chemistry and French A Levels (Yes just the three unlike these flaming einsteins that are taking like 23 and yes no physics but hey ho :biggrin:)

Soo, Not knowing which part of engineering to go into i was initially thinking of doing either the Integrated Engineering Or Mechanical Engineering Degree at Cardiff University (Which didn't specify Physics as a needed A level)
Using my 6 weeks off constructively i thought id do some more work experience at the closest available engineeringy place to have something even more engineering related to put on my personal statement for Uni.
However the experience in the engineering offices with the uni graduates was not as expected and i found it extremely boring having nothing to do.
Soo, i sort of wandered off and carried out the rest of the two weeks on the shop floor with some of the apprentices which i thoroughly enjoyed :woo:! Having found a part of engineering that i enjoy Aerospace engineering seems to be the way to go for me.

However after talking to a lot of people I realised that this place does a really good apprenticeship scheme that gives you a level 3 NVQ and a BTEC certificate in aerospace engineering at the end of the three years, Guarantees a job at the end of it, has great opportunities to move up the ranks in the company and be sponsored to do a HND or a university degree if the company thinks you are 'able'.
I am considering applying for this apprenticeship as it seems the best way forward for me. I'd rather not choose a University degree that im not entirely sure i want to do and have this risk that i might not end up with a job at the end of it. The more i think of it, I think the idea of going to Uni in the first place was based on the hype of being one of the higher achieving students at my 6th form and I dont actually think im ready to go to university :s-smilie:.
Do you think im making the right decision in choosing to do this apprenticeship with the intention of going to Uni when i feel ready??
Thanks!

I was in a similar sort of situation. I chose to go to uni and I think I made the right decision. Going to university while you're young is a completely different kettle of fish to going when you are 'ready'. If you maintain links with the company throughout your uni career and go back during the holidays then their is not reason why you couldn't possibly use the degree you get in the company at the end of your degree. Besides, engineering degrees are very lucrative and i doubt you'll have problems getting a job once you graduate.
Hmm sounds like a good idea if you really do not want to go to University but make sure you think about it for a long time before making a decision. Talk to relatives and your school.

As being sided toward Uni, I may be biased but there are certain key advantages to Uni. For example the social side, accomodation reletively easy to get and money from student loan.

You would have to think about whether you want to continue to live at home for the forseeable future as you don't know for sure when/if you will go to uni. You will also have to think about the apprenticeship salary etc.

The key difference will be the difference in learning style, where the apprenticeship option is learning on the job / Uni is learning theory.

Sorry, as the post is fragmented..:s-smilie:
Reply 3
I understand that the salary starts at around £9,500 and by year three its around £15,000.
I do understand about the whole do it when your young thing, the social life aspect, and the fact that i could do a year in industry though...

I don't know whether i was put off by the work i saw some of the interns doing which was extremely boring as i said... The last thing i want to do is do something that bores me you know?

And i do need to find out more about whether the course i want to do is recognisable by employers.
And again im probably totally contradicting myself but the more i think about the courses the more i find myself not wanting to go into a topic specific degree
cause i dont necessarily want to be stuck in a rut in one industry. So the more it think about it it seems Uni is a better idea...

I am going back to do some more work experience there cause theyve asked me to go back so im gonna ask some questions. Try and get some answers and stuff :smile:

Youve given me something to think about though :smile:
Thanks a lot Guys!
Reply 4
If you don't feel ready for uni, why not take a gap year to work with them? That way you'd get more experience of the industry (which might help you decide which discipline you prefer) and potentially get sponsored.
Reply 5
Original post by 032bbabbijl
Hello Chucks!

Thanks!

Hey,
I know it was quite a while ago, but how did u get u get on with you decision about engineering? and what you found to be the best option? (lol 2 year onwards)
Reply 6
Original post by Jamil1987
Hey,
I know it was quite a while ago, but how did u get u get on with you decision about engineering? and what you found to be the best option? (lol 2 year onwards)

Heyy!
Well im currently in Cardiff uni doing MEng Integrated engineering and the company i did work experience with for a bit has offered to sponsor me for my year in industry! Haha!
Slight change in the decision making haha!
But i still think what it would have been like if i'd chosen the other option. At the minute im still getting used to the HUUUUGE jump in the level of work and living away from home and self teaching myself things i would have learnt if i'd done physics ¬_¬ Haha!
But im very, very slowly getting used to it all :smile:

I still think some sort of gap year would have benefited me, purely because ive met a load of people who have taken one and you can tell the difference in maturity level and motivation to do the work having had the time off. Jumping straight from A level after 7 years in high school and facing the prospect of 5 years in uni is quite daunting for me at the minute haha!
I think the most important thing for me to remember is why im doing all this at the end of the day. When i immerse myself in the work environment it feels like the right thing to be doing, just at the minute im lacking the motivation to learn the work because i want to be home haha!
Reply 7
Hi! I was reading your thread and wondered (a few years later now!!) how you went with the engineering degree? What was your thoughts on it all, after all this time? Haha. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending