The Student Room Group

any work experience for civil engineering ?

I am in year 13 and I`m doing physics maths furthermaths and economics.I got all As. Nothing to worry about grades then. I am now writing my ps.that is crucial. well, I plan to do work experience in halfterm in oct. and I will then put my plan on my ps .( my teacher suggests as I didn`t get much work experience.) I have once worked in a fashion shop like topshop and be a kindergarten carer for one week both. but I really didn`t do anything that relates civil engineering . could anyone give me some advice on wat shall I do ? I know that civil engineering is a professional job and one company won`t ask for someone who doesnt know anything to do it .Any substitutional work to do in oct .??????

ALso, I think I will apply Cambridge. SO any other things I should focus on in my ps ?
Thanks a lot ~
Reply 1
I did a week at a steam railway line with the engineers. I got offers from everywhere i applied , two were masters :smile:
Reply 2
sammy_boy
I did a week at a steam railway line with the engineers. I got offers from everywhere i applied , two were masters :smile:

Wow..That sounds so cool ...!! would u mind give me the company name or orgnization name ? I really want to try one in the coming halfterm. PLZ>>> Thanks !

and,..wait..is that for year13 students ?
Reply 3
If you can't find anywhere with a private company, local councils may be more likely to give you a week's experience- try getting into the major projects team or something- I did a week with my local council there and it seemed to go down okay on my personal statement. Though tbh you're more likely to be surrounded by planners etc rather than "engineers"- only go to the council as a last resort I'd say.
Reply 4
i was year 12, its the severn valley railway. they will gladly take anyone on for work experience. i went to the bridgnorth station, as thats where a lot of the engineering takes place / where i live
Reply 5
i should probably elaborate, my 5 offers were for 2 beng mechanical, 1 beng civil and one mechanical and one civil meng
Reply 6
Anything in London? I will live in a home stay in Balham~~so somewhere near would be nice~

And How to apply? Just send email with CV and letter in it ? I need to hurry ..
Reply 7
I just walked in and asked the bloke lmao. His words were along the lines of "just send us a letter like cos of all the offical b0llcks and that with the school"
Reply 8
I worked at Delta Rail for a week, and I did an EES with E.ON. :awesome:
Reply 9
azhao
I worked at Delta Rail for a week, and I did an EES with E.ON. :awesome:

Well, I quote u ..as u said.
I went onto the main website of deltarail, I think I should send them application as soon as I get back.
EES? is it a project that takes half a year if I remember it rightly?
I don`t think I v got engough time for this one.

but if it is possible ,I will try my best .

Thank u ..

and .in addition, is it that hard to get into cambridge ?
Reply 10
Violet-moon
Well, I quote u ..as u said.
I went onto the main website of deltarail, I think I should send them application as soon as I get back.
EES? is it a project that takes half a year if I remember it rightly?
I don`t think I v got engough time for this one.

but if it is possible ,I will try my best .

Thank u ..

and .in addition, is it that hard to get into cambridge ?

The EES program is only for year 12 students, from what irc.
Original post by violet-moon
anything in london? I will live in a home stay in balham~~so somewhere near would be nice~

and how to apply? Just send email with cv and letter in it ? I need to hurry ..

dude i live in balham omg do u still live there
Original post by Violet-moon
I am in year 13 and I`m doing physics maths furthermaths and economics.I got all As. Nothing to worry about grades then. I am now writing my ps.that is crucial. well, I plan to do work experience in halfterm in oct. and I will then put my plan on my ps .( my teacher suggests as I didn`t get much work experience.) I have once worked in a fashion shop like topshop and be a kindergarten carer for one week both. but I really didn`t do anything that relates civil engineering . could anyone give me some advice on wat shall I do ? I know that civil engineering is a professional job and one company won`t ask for someone who doesnt know anything to do it .Any substitutional work to do in oct .??????

ALso, I think I will apply Cambridge. SO any other things I should focus on in my ps ?
Thanks a lot ~

also did u get to do engineering at cambridge lol bc im thinking of applying there for the same course ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending