The Student Room Group

Special Constable

Hey is anyone on here a current SC?

Im thinking of joining once i get to university.

Whats your opinion on doing this at uni?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just become a real police man/woman/horse (delete as appropriate/politically correct ********)?

I really don't see the appeal in becoming a "Special constable" with no power, when you could be a proper PC, with the power to arrest someone who has committed a crime, instead of giving them a stern talking too.
special constables have the same powers as PC's. but they get to keep powers outside of duty hours. however, last time i checked, they dont get paid at all. its all voluntary, i may be wrong though

This is the place to be if you are interested in the UK's Special Constabulary - whether you're a serving Special Constable, maybe thinking of joining, or simply wanting to find out more about "Specials".

The Special Constabulary is the United Kingdom's part-time police force. It is made up of volunteer members of the public who when on duty wear a uniform and have full police powers. There are over 15,000 Specials serving with police forces across the UK.

EDIT: found info about a special constable.. http://www.policespecials.com/
Reply 3
King Pieb
Just become a real police man/woman/horse (delete as appropriate/politically correct ********)?

I really don't see the appeal in becoming a "Special constable" with no power, when you could be a proper PC, with the power to arrest someone who has committed a crime, instead of giving them a stern talking too.

lol fail.

Im having the same kind of idea, I've always wanted to join the police, but at the same time wanted to get a degree and social work might just sway me into something relativley normal.
I would say its worth doing, it can help you join the police after uni, or if you don't and use your degree it still looks great on a CV for all the skills it gives you. Just obviously you have to balance study with a part time job and then volunteering for SC's.

I hear they like you to do at least one 4hr+ shift a week, may depends on where, though strictly speaking you can work as little as you like, but obviously as their paying for your training and equipment they want to get their money's worth. So its a matter of would you be willing to consistantly give one night a week or more to go out and get the same abuse and threat the regulars get, but with no pay? If your prepared to handle that part of it then i'd say go for it. Would be good to get the view of someone who actually is a student and an SC.
Reply 4
King Pieb

Just to elaborate on 'lol fail' as someone else put it, I think you've confused a Special Constable with a Police Community Support Officer. SCs are volunteers with the powers of a constable who work voluntarily a few hours a week, or in the British Transport Police more regularly.
Reply 5
Well im aware of the risks and suchlike with the job and i dont mind, i work in the security industry atm and get some of the same abuse and crap from the spectators as the police get, so the risk isnt much of an issue. I have always wanted to join the police and this is an oppourtunity to do this.

King Pieb: Maybe you should know what you are talking about before you go off on a tangent badmouthing the profession :biggrin:
Reply 6
King Pieb

Seriously? cool I'll remember that if they ever try and arrest me.

Can you become a real police man/woman/horse (delete as appropriate/politically correct ********) for say 4-6 hours a week?

Are you a police man/woman/horse (delete as appropriate/politically correct ********)?
Reply 7
L i b
Just to elaborate on 'lol fail' as someone else put it, I think you've confused a Special Constable with a Police Community Support Officer. SCs are volunteers with the powers of a constable who work voluntarily a few hours a week, or in the British Transport Police more regularly.

I have. My bad :biggrin:
Reply 8
I'm a Special Constable - if you have any questions then don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 9
Some people are ignorant to the amazing work specials do! And yes they start badmouthing the profession without actually knowing it. Specials have the same powers as PCs, and although PCSO powers are limited, they are still a valuable asset to society. And, although it differs from force to force, PCSOs do have certain powers above normal civilians.
Reply 10
I inquired about being a special last week and have been told that I will be invited to a presentation evening. Does anybody know what the application process involves?
Reply 11
NickyP
I inquired about being a special last week and have been told that I will be invited to a presentation evening. Does anybody know what the application process involves?

It should say so on the force website which you applied to. It varies largely from force to force. Which force are you applying to and I can find out for you?
Reply 12
squeal
It should say so on the force website which you applied to. It varies largely from force to force. Which force are you applying to and I can find out for you?

South Yorkshire. Also, is it possible to transfer between forces? Thanks for your help!
Reply 13
I'm looking at SYP as an option for joining as a Regular :smile:

Anyway, as far as I can see the process for that is the paper sift, then an interview, and then a medical which is like eye, hearing tests, BMI etc. Then there will also be vetting and security checks but if you pass all of that you should be in :smile:

Oh and the presentation evening you attend will tell you exactly everything involved and answer any questions you may have.
Reply 14
squeal
I'm looking at SYP as an option for joining as a Regular :smile:

Anyway, as far as I can see the process for that is the paper sift, then an interview, and then a medical which is like eye, hearing tests, BMI etc. Then there will also be vetting and security checks but if you pass all of that you should be in :smile:

Oh and the presentation evening you attend will tell you exactly everything involved and answer any questions you may have.

Thanks! How long does it usually take from applying to finishing training?
Reply 15
NickyP
Thanks! How long does it usually take from applying to finishing training?

I'm not sure, again it will vary from force to force so it is something you will have to ask at the presentation evening.

I'm with a different force, but I applied in February, started training in July and became operational in September.
Reply 16
NickyP
South Yorkshire. Also, is it possible to transfer between forces? Thanks for your help!

It is possible to transfer as a Special Constable :biggrin:

Training always varies between forces.

Im going to apply to North Wales Police, so i need to learn welsh before hand.
Reply 17
I plan to join it will be a good opportunity and will look great on a CV. I plan to apply in a month.
Reply 18
cn1990
Im going to apply to North Wales Police, so i need to learn welsh before hand.

I think that definately is a prerequisite. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by NickyP
I think that definately is a prerequisite. :smile:

Hey, sorry to resurrect an old post.

After passing papersift and PIRT, was rejected after interview.

Applied 6 months and 1 week later, that was in July 2010, 5 months later, now November, passed papersift, PIRT, Interview, Vetting and Welsh Test (100%) and now awaiting for my letter of appointment, and all my training details.

Woop :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending