The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i think they should it simbolick to the vitims
Reply 1621
stupid labels? It's a date :confused: Better than saying "That day when all the planes were hijacked and flown into buildings"
Reply 1622
PadFoot90
stupid labels? It's a date :confused: Better than saying "That day when all the planes were hijacked and flown into buildings"

Yeah I'd hate it if people said that.
It'll probably just be called the london terrorist attack/ blast. :confused: And can people stop saying it's insignificant, all the world leaders stood round Blair and pledged to stand firm against terror and it's not comparable to 9/11, but it's still significant in that it's disrupted people's lives/murdered.
Saffie
And can people stop saying it's insignificant

Who said it was insignificant? :confused:
Found another picture
Reply 1625
the_sand_man
ok first have a look at google.co.uk and second whad do u think they will call this day in years to come eg, 9/11 could it be 7/7 any idears

Well at least "7/7" can't fall foul of that silly US rule of putting the day and month the opposite way round!
Once again the crowd of TSR fails to disappoint; that is in their complete stupidity!

1.) No, this attack won't stop the Olympics going ahead in 7 years time because that's 7 years away. :rolleyes:

2.) The point that Blair is indirectly responsible for this is a meritable one. He and Bush decided to kill thousands in Afghanistan and Iraq for no reason other than to gain revenge for9/11 (Afghanistan) and to steal oil (iraq). Incidentally, 4 times the number that were killed in 9/11 were killed in Afghanistan. Thus the fact that, along with many people saying "its not a case of it but when", these attacks are hardly surprising as a form of revenge. Yes, Al Qaeda are bastards, yes even if the US/UK didn't attack Afghanistan and Iraq it could still have happened, but fact remains that ****ing up 2 middle eastern countries will provoke terrorism through revenge.

3.) I don't see the need in self-lucky stories page after page, the "if I was this and that then this and that then I could have died to", it's a bit pointless and a bit cold-hearted considering that real people in these real situations have died or been injured!

4.) People in Iraq and other nations experience this everyday as a result of UK/US leader decisions, as a result of constantly being elected by a population who seems to ignore the fact that they are constantly prodding at terrorist groups to attack Britain. I'll leave it at that...

5.) No the train/tube service won't be at 100% because, believe it or not, attacks took place today! Also, don't advise that "it'll be fine to use it tomorrow" because you don't know that; bombs may have been hiddneleft around and its risky.

That's all I'm going to say! I fully expect the "why don't you give your condolensces instead of making ****** political points" comments but I don't give a ****! Looking at why this happened in a logical fashion and appreciating that everyday this goes on in Iraq but we tend to not give a **** as long as we get oil is a better solution than "lets bomb them to get revenge then moan if they do something back." Not surprising it works though, just look at how dumb our population is. (Especially the American one, bloody hell.)
Nima
Once again the crowd of TSR fails to disappoint; that is in their complete stupidity!

1.) No, this attack won't stop the Olympics going ahead in 7 years time because that's 7 years away. :rolleyes:

2.) The point that Blair is indirectly responsible for this is a meritable one. He and Bush decided to kill thousands in Afghanistan and Iraq for no reason other than to gain revenge for9/11 (Afghanistan) and to steal oil (iraq). Incidentally, 4 times the number that were killed in 9/11 were killed in Afghanistan. Thus the fact that, along with many people saying "its not a case of it but when", these attacks are hardly surprising as a form of revenge. Yes, Al Qaeda are bastards, yes even if the US/UK didn't attack Afghanistan and Iraq it could still have happened, but fact remains that ****ing up 2 middle eastern countries will provoke terrorism through revenge.

3.) I don't see the need in self-lucky stories page after page, the "if I was this and that then this and that then I could have died to", it's a bit pointless and a bit cold-hearted considering that real people in these real situations have died or been injured!

4.) People in Iraq and other nations experience this everyday as a result of UK/US leader decisions, as a result of constantly being elected by a population who seems to ignore the fact that they are constantly prodding at terrorist groups to attack Britain. I'll leave it at that...

5.) No the train/tube service won't be at 100% because, believe it or not, attacks took place today! Also, don't advise that "it'll be fine to use it tomorrow" because you don't know that; bombs may have been hiddneleft around and its risky.

That's all I'm going to say! I fully expect the "why don't you give your condolensces instead of making ****** political points" comments but I don't give a ****! Looking at why this happened in a logical fashion and appreciating that everyday this goes on in Iraq but we tend to not give a **** as long as we get oil is a better solution than "lets bomb them to get revenge then moan if they do something back." Not surprising it works though, just look at how dumb our population is. (Especially the American one, bloody hell.)

Amen.
Reply 1628
I don't know if this has been posted already but,
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22989-1685356,00.html
The poem at the end made me very emotional. I want to give that man a big hug :hugs:

bigger than that
the_sand_man
all of the london under ground is closed
the news is saying about a number station blasts around london could this be a terriest atack the news is vage at the moment all station in london underground is closed

Jeez its annoyig when this sort of thing happens. My sympathies Londoners and family. :mad:

Waatching the news some Aussie rang up the local tv station, jeez I felt sorry for the poor bugger, a couple of years ago he has walked out of the Sari club 2 minutes before it blew up in the Bali bombings and today he had just stepped out of a train before it happened. He was with a mate whose gf was meeting them where another bomb had gone off and they couldnt her. Sad stuff.
Reply 1630
I understand that this is a UK university student forum, and I apologize to anyone who is offended by the fact that I registered, being from the United States. I, too am a college student. I am a junior (3rd year) at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

I just wanted to say that everyone I know, here at home, feels the deepest of sympathies for the United Kingdom at this time, specifically those who have been immediately affected by the horrible events of the morning. I know that many Britains, especially those who are my peers, are against the participation that your government has chosen to take as an ally of the U.S. in the war on terror; specifically the one in Iraq. I can’t blame you. I can also understand if those same people feel that today’s attacks are a result of that participation.

On my campus there are many differing opinions regarding the actions taken by our government, and many differing opinions about WHO is running the government to begin with. But, I can say with 100% certainty that no one has ever brought into to question the importance of the UK, it’s government, it’s soldiers, or it’s people; or, any of our other allies. I just wanted to take the time to send my own personal condolences to you all. And, to let you know that regardless of anyone’s feelings towards the actions taken by our respective governments, that everyone I know here is thankful for the support that your country provides ours. I know if there is anything that we, as a nation, can do to help you in this time of grief, that we will do so in the most gracious manner. Thank You, again, for everything you are, and for everything that you stand for. God Bless.

~ An American Student
I've never been someone that's proud of being British. Sometimes, I'm ashamed of my nationality. But the way people bonded and pulled together yesterday, the way we're sure that we'll not give in to terrorism and become cowards has made me proud.

Almost slightly patriotic in a way.
lostinfantasies
I've never been someone that's proud of being British. Sometimes, I'm ashamed of my nationality. But the way people bonded and pulled together yesterday, the way we're sure that we'll not give in to terrorism and become cowards has made me proud.

Almost slightly patriotic in a way.

I know-whoever did those bombings has lost out on all counts:
1]sent a bad message about their religion which will seriously harm the everday nice Muslim who disagrees with this
2]made us stronger and more determined
3]Tony Blair and the European countries will not remove their troops.

Yesterdays attack was pointless and fruitless and should not have happened-it was cowardly timing and thought up in an evil manner. The people who did this claim that it is justified by their religion-how much damage do they want to do themselves? Any religion which justifies the innocent slaughter of people is not a religion any sane person is going to want to be a part of-so why do it? The everyday Muslims are the people who are going to suffer a lot at this yet this didn't appear to be a good enough reason not to do it.
Not sure what to say really.

I was in the airport (Colombo) when I saw the breaking news come up on the TV. At that instant, I was shocked (even though we all could've anticipated it at some time). As I was watching the news report, I felt angry and sad- really really sad, almost depressed. It's just the thought that your city seems so vulnerable. I know this was probably always the case, but seeing it happen really brings you back down to earth, especially after the highs of the previous day.

I'd imagine I'm just reiterating the thoughts of most people, but anyway...
Reply 1634
Nima
The point that Blair is indirectly responsible for this is a meritable one.

He and Bush decided to kill thousands in Afghanistan and Iraq for no reason other than to gain revenge for9/11 (Afghanistan) and to steal oil (iraq).

Come on D+D and repeat this garbage.

Yes, Al Qaeda are bastards, yes even if the US/UK didn't attack Afghanistan and Iraq it could still have happened

Quite.

but fact remains that ****ing up 2 middle eastern countries will provoke terrorism through revenge.

Yet it still would have happened.

I dont see how, its natural reflection on the situation.

So the beheadings, car bombs, suicide bombings in Iraq, the 50+ dead in London, the 200 dead in Madrid, the 3000 dead in New York is the doing of the UK government and you have the gall to tell people when they are being cold hearted and stupid.

Not surprising it works though, just look at how dumb our population is. (Especially the American one, bloody hell.)

Nice finish. Out of interest, would you have preferred that the bombs yesterday had been filled with sarin or anthrax?
Nima

If I had to go to London today, I would 100% use the tube, at least what's open. They wouldn't open it unless they considered it safe. They've all been searched with a fine tooth comb, I'm sure.

If people follow your advice today, they may as well follow it in three years' time...

If TfL and British Transport Police have opened lines and stations, they've done so because they think that it's safe. That's all the reassurance I need.

Mind you, your point about "OMG I was in London four years ago!!!" posts is pretty true.

I do think that the people who missed it by 15 minutes, or those who suddenly changed their minds about getting on a train have something to be a bit freaked out about...

Most TSRians who 'were gonna go to London today' would have left after rush hour anyway when the tickets get cheap. I'm fairly certain that by then, the tube was closed and the advice by all would have been to go home...
Vienna
Come on D+D and repeat this garbage.

It's the truth you just fail to accept it.

V
Quite.

But provoking the attacks only makes it more likely and of more severity.

V
Yet it still would have happened.

The quotes of "when not if" are as a result of constant UK/US provocation in the middle east. If none of the mass Afghan killings/Iraq took place then there would be a much elsser reason to suspect any such terrorist bombings in the future. What goes around comes around; obviously the speculators acknowledged this also.

V
I dont see how, its natural reflection on the situation.

Yes sometimes it is but it seems to go a bit too far, fair enough if you were about to go on the train but last min decided against it then bang the bomb went off, but the "if i was a year younger and going to a cam open day" style reflections are a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes:

V
So the beheadings, car bombs, suicide bombings in Iraq, the 50+ dead in London, the 200 dead in Madrid, the 3000 dead in New York is the doing of the UK government and you have the gall to tell people when they are being cold hearted and stupid.

It's the doing of the UK, US and terrorist groups involved, they're all responsible and all constantly worsening the situation through retaliation to attacks. Twisting my words and implying that everything is the fault of the UK/US and no blame should be put on terrorist networks isn't going to aid your argument(s?). 9/11, Madrid and London was due to terrorist groups and Afghan invasion and Iraq invasion for Oil were by the UK/US government. There's no need for me to explain this, it's not rocket science.

V
Nice finish. Out of interest, would you have preferred that the bombs yesterday had been filled with sarin or anthrax?

As I said, it's the population that are electing Blair and Bush time after time and thus the cycle of invading middle eastern countries and getting revenge through big city attacks. Arguably there is the argument that Blair is the better prime minister in terms of helping the UK economy, I'm not blind to this fact; I guess it's about where we place our priorities as a population. The US are certainly dumb when it comes to political voting, god knows why they elect Bush time after time - This same argument has been put forward time after time.
dogtanian
If I had to go to London today, I would 100% use the tube, at least what's open. They wouldn't open it unless they considered it safe. They've all been searched with a fine tooth comb, I'm sure.

Well you lay your life in their hands; they're human and in the day after several bombings and still suspected packages being found, its risky.
d
If people follow your advice today, they may as well follow it in three years' time...

They should follow it for today because suspected packages are still being found and they're still searching and common sense tells you to let things cool down a bit before using public transport in london.

d
If TfL and British Transport Police have opened lines and stations, they've done so because they think that it's safe. That's all the reassurance I need.

Maybe for you, but the majority agree with me and that's why most have avoided using these lines and services; at such an early stage you can't (near) guarantee safety in London.

d
Mind you, your point about "OMG I was in London four years ago!!!" posts is pretty true.

Yes that's what I was getting at, self acknowledgement of luck being way exaggerated....

d
I do think that the people who missed it by 15 minutes, or those who suddenly changed their minds about getting on a train have something to be a bit freaked out about...

Obviously.

d
Most TSRians who 'were gonna go to London today' would have left after rush hour anyway when the tickets get cheap. I'm fairly certain that by then, the tube was closed and the advice by all would have been to go home...

Yes
Nima
It's the truth you just fail to accept it.

But provoking the attacks only makes it more likely and of more severity.

The quotes of "when not if" are as a result of constant UK/US provocation in the middle east. If none of the mass Afghan killings/Iraq took place then there would be a much elsser reason to suspect any such terrorist bombings in the future. What goes around comes around; obviously the speculators acknowledged this also.

Yes sometimes it is but it seems to go a bit too far, fair enough if you were about to go on the train but last min decided against it then bang the bomb went off, but the "if i was a year younger and going to a cam open day" style reflections are a bit ridiculous. :rolleyes:

It's the doing of the UK, US and terrorist groups involved, they're all responsible and all constantly worsening the situation through retaliation to attacks. Twisting my words and implying that everything is the fault of the UK/US and no blame should be put on terrorist networks isn't going to aid your argument(s?). 9/11, Madrid and London was due to terrorist groups and Afghan invasion and Iraq invasion for Oil were by the UK/US government. There's no need for me to explain this, it's not rocket science.

As I said, it's the population that are electing Blair and Bush time after time and thus the cycle of invading middle eastern countries and getting revenge through big city attacks. Arguably there is the argument that Blair is the better prime minister in terms of helping the UK economy, I'm not blind to this fact; I guess it's about where we place our priorities as a population. The US are certainly dumb when it comes to political voting, god knows why they elect Bush time after time - This same argument has been put forward time after time.

For once in my life I find myself agreeing with Vienna. Scary stuff.
Reply 1639
Everyone can ignore this post if they want, just me wanting to get some stuff out of my system.
dogtanian

I hadn't posted before because I thought i might get mugged by people saying 'well, nothing actually happened to you, did it, so just shut up'

but

I was going to Russell Sq. on the tube at the time, when we all got evacuated at Leicester Sq. I walked for 2 hrs to get to ULSOP, took so long because a) no one had any maps, all sold out; b) I kept walking into road blocks. Saw the devastation at Tavistock place. Not cool.

First I knew of it was when I was walking north and everyone else was walking, fast, in the complete opposite direction, herded by the police. I was like... 'huh?'

I think I walked about 6 miles yesterday, cause at the end of the day I had to also walk from Russell Sq. to Waterloo to get a train. It was also a bit worrying just being at Waterloo, because there were thousands of people there, busiest I've ever seen, and the police really could have easily missed someone there. But nothing happened, so yay!

I was on my own, and I am only little. I kept feeling like crying but then I thought 'WTF Talya? You aren't even hurt or weren't even there, so shut up'. Apparently some kids at my course at ULSOP saw the bus explode, is that true, Zainab?

I'll go now :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending