The Student Room Group

IB Spanish Ab Initio reading papers: anyone else find them hard?

The speaking and writing seem quite simple as long as you know what you're doing, but the reading exam seems really hard considering we've learnt Spanish from scratch. Our first mock at the start of this school year was hard, but I put it down to either just being a hard paper or because we hadn't finished the syllabus my vocabulary wasn't broad enough. Anyway just done another mock, I don't know how I've done on it as I only did it yesterday, but it still seemed hard. Ok, so we haven't done one of the vocab topics yet and the 10 mark question at the end was based around that topic, but it was still pretty hard. I expected it to be GCSE level since it's ab intio but it’s far from it...anyone else find the reading paper hard?
00EyeOfTheStorm00
The speaking and writing seem quite simple as long as you know what you're doing, but the reading exam seems really hard considering we've learnt Spanish from scratch. Our first mock at the start of this school year was hard, but I put it down to either just being a hard paper or because we hadn't finished the syllabus my vocabulary wasn't broad enough. Anyway just done another mock, I don't know how I've done on it as I only did it yesterday, but it still seemed hard. Ok, so we haven't done one of the vocab topics yet and the 10 mark question at the end was based around that topic, but it was still pretty hard. I expected it to be GCSE level since it's ab intio but it’s far from it...anyone else find the reading paper hard?

I'm not in spanish, but I think the french ab initio papers are bloody difficult, considering it's ab initio. I am v. v. glad to not be in french B, though! :/
ragnar_jonsson
I'm not in spanish, but I think the french ab initio papers are bloody difficult, considering it's ab initio. I am v. v. glad to not be in french B, though! :/

Same, I did French GCSE and did well, but I really couldn't stand doing it even at SL. I thought it would be so much easier starting from scratch cos I knew how important tenses etc. were. In GCSE it pretty much showed pictures of types of jobs and you had to match the word to the picture, and that was at higher level. In ab initio it says a random word in Spanish or whatever language and says find a word that means the same in the text! What!? How am I meant to know every word?
Reply 3
I worry about spanish on quite abit on the whole, more the writing than reading; possibly because our teacher has made it confusing.
Haha, this makes me regret not taking Icelandic A1 SL. More work, but more likely to get a 6/7... :frown:
Thingeh
I worry about spanish on quite abit on the whole, more the writing than reading; possibly because our teacher has made it confusing.

We've been quite well advised on the writing, not so much the speaking yet, which is worrying since it's in March I think, but it sounds pretty easy. We got told in the writing you have to write a 60 word notice and then a 120 word diary/article/letter. We got told it's better to do the diary cos then you can write "I'm sorry I haven't written in a while because blah blah blah" then talk about whatever you're meant to and sign off "I will write again tomorrow" to get tenses in.
Reply 6
00EyeOfTheStorm00
We've been quite well advised on the writing, not so much the speaking yet, which is worrying since it's in March I think, but it sounds pretty easy. We got told in the writing you have to write a 60 word notice and then a 120 word diary/article/letter. We got told it's better to do the diary cos then you can write "I'm sorry I haven't written in a while because blah blah blah" then talk about whatever you're meant to and sign off "I will write again tomorrow" to get tenses in.

We haven't been told any of that, but I'll be sure to remember it. Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by 00EyeOfTheStorm00

Hard..are they serious when they putting those type of questions on the paper, when we hve only been studying for 2 years...intense :s-smilie::albertein::albertein:
Reply 8

Yes, my sentiments exactly, every language ab initio is hard. They say it is about GCSE standard, but it really isn't, it is past that. The amount of tenses you learn perhaps, but the vocab is so wide that it is very hard. The Italian Ab initio reading is very hard as well. Thankfully there isn't a listening test though

nah, spanish was easy. even the worst person in IB Spanish thought it was hella easy. it was basically a joke. it's probably just the way we were taught, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending