The Student Room Group

Law then medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Comp_Genius
So what career options are there for doctors who are legally qualified?

Have a look at the board: http://www.cuh.org.uk/cuh/structure/board_of_directors.html
Phalanges
And allow me to enlighten you - most of the people I see around me every day are here because they want to be, not because they think they should.

As for saying only a few people only want to study there for other reasons, I've never heard such rubbish. There's a hell of a lot of differences between Oxford and Cambridge than some places, and some people surprisingly do actually apply for those.

Please explain to me why the field of medico-law exists, and why then it's possible to do a law conversion course as a medicine graduate.

So you negged me? My my my somebody is a total baby?
I don't agree with you and it bothers you so much? Grow up dude.
It's a forum.

And I didn't write that people study there because they have to but prestigious ALWAYS matters.

The thing is, that OP wants to drop out law to do medicine NOT do medicine to do a law conversion course, so what's your problem?
Butterflyleg
So you negged me? My my my somebody is a total baby?
I don't agree with you and it bothers you so much? Grow up dude.
It's a forum.

And I didn't write that people study there because they have to but prestigious ALWAYS matters.

The thing is, that OP wants to drop out law to do medicine NOT do medicine to do a law conversion course, so what's your problem?

No, I didn't neg you because you disagreed with me. I negged you because you wrote one of the most stupid posts I've seen.

But you feel the need to have a go at me about something which doesn't matter? Grow up dude.

My problem is your lack of knowledge combined with your assumed air of authority.
Phalanges
No, I didn't neg you because you disagreed with me. I negged you because you wrote one of the most stupid posts I've seen.

But you feel the need to have a go at me about something which doesn't matter? Grow up dude.

My problem is your lack of knowledge combined with your assumed air of authority.

Yeah? I think you have different problem. Which part was stupid for you? Huh? This part when I didn't agree with you? :p:

My lack of knowledge? Oh sorry, I should have known that you're Mr "I know better than you and if I don't, I'm still right".

Again, grow up or don't bother me again.
Reply 24
Phalanges
I think it's very odd that you think people can't genuinely be interested in both medicine and law to the extent that they'd want to study both of them.

and yet you dont fink its odd that someone would be interested in studying medicine and law, but ave no interest WHATSOEVER in the alternative 300 other job roles related to the ealthcare and legal professions. no interest in any other of the thirty odd related courses either.

******* outlandishly odd, by comparison to yoyur observation, for someone to show interest in ONLY those two that are labelled by posh skools as the two most prestigious courses.
Gizmo!
and yet you dont fink its odd that someone would be interested in studying medicine and law, but ave no interest WHATSOEVER in the alternative 300 other job roles related to the ealthcare and legal professions. no interest in any other of the thirty odd related courses either.

******* outlandishly odd, by comparison to yoyur observation, for someone to show interest in ONLY those two that are labelled by posh skools as the two most prestigious courses.

Well there are other professions, such as investment banking, management consultancy, accountancy that some of the top and elite would be interested in.
Reply 26
Comp_Genius
Well there are other professions, such as investment banking, management consultancy, accountancy that some of the top and elite would be interested in.

well these clearly arent the most prestigious university courses that a posh school aims to channel its pupils towards, so your point is on a different track entirely. my point remains that medicine and law are two that they push for, though you could widen that to others like vet. medicine.
Reply 27
my weight on the term 'elite' is probably a bit different from yours. i dont see the 'elite' gcse and A lvl grade acheivers are anyfing like the 'elite' of the job world.
Butterflyleg
Yeah? I think you have different problem. Which part was stupid for you? Huh? This part when I didn't agree with you? :p:

The parts where you said that most people apply to Oxford or Cambridge because of prestige. And the part where you said that medicine and law were completely different career paths.

My lack of knowledge?

Yes, as you were the one who said the above things.

Oh sorry, I should have known that you're Mr "I know better than you and if I don't, I'm still right".

Considering you're an applicant and have quoted as evidence for your assumptions "The majority of people on TSR" then yes, I would suggest I know more on people's reasons for applying to Oxford and Cambridge than you.

Again, grow up or don't bother me again.

You are the one who has been aggressive in your posts with phrases like "Huh?", and resorted to ad hom attacks such as calling me a baby, so I don't think I'm the one who needs to grow up.
Phalanges
The parts where you said that most people apply to Oxford or Cambridge because of prestige. And the part where you said that medicine and law were completely different career paths.

Oh please, so if Oxford was 20/30th in the rankings it still would be so popular? Do you really believe that people don't care about the prestige? Haha, you're naive indeed. And well, you can't be a doctor and a lawyer at the same time, can you? So yes, law and medicine are different career paths. Especially that OP wants to drop out law and do medicine - so where's your point? What's your problem? :rofl: You don't even talk about OP's situation. In all my posts I said law and medicine are different career paths because I took OP's posts into account. You obviously didn't.

Phalanges

Yes, as you were the one who said the above things.

It was a rethorical question and this kind of question doesn't need an answer xD

Phalanges

Considering you're an applicant and have quoted as evidence for your assumptions "The majority of people on TSR" then yes, I would suggest I know more on people's reasons for applying to Oxford and Cambridge than you.

It was just an example, chill out. And do you think you know better? Good for you - Mr I know better than you - actually knows better?
Seriously, you should write a book about it.

Phalanges

You are the one who has been aggressive in your posts with phrases like "Huh?", and resorted to ad hom attacks such as calling me a baby, so I don't think I'm the one who needs to grow up.

Lol, "Huh" is agressive to you? Are you five years old or something? xD
And I called you that cause you negged me for no reason and it was childish, I didn't called you a prick, dick, ******* etc. I just called you a baby - Jesus xD Get over it. Do you always neg people if they have different opinion than you?
Reply 30
i fink young peeple who are educated to believe in prestige (16 to 25 year olds in posh skool and unis), will care about prestige.

in their twenties, the prestige veneer wears off, as they begin to discover what life is actually about, and that 10 A*s doesnt pay the rent or cook your supper for you. eventually, all this is replaced by a desire for warm digs, decent 'olidays, a fresh open mind,good culinary skills and someone you love next to yuo in bed, the real aims in life.

its really an andicap to be raised like this - you only cotton on to thereal fings in life years after everyone else.
Reply 31
Gizmo can you change the record? It's getting old now.
Reply 32
lekky

its your assumption that i'm playing the same record that is getting old.
the ball is in your court, so as to speak,but you obviously wrote that wiffout reading the fread properly, so forgiven.
Reply 33
lekky

Agreed.

To go back to the original point, I know a few medics who've either done a law degree then grad medicine, or done a law course as part of their medical degree/part time alongside work. I myself did a medical law paper alongside the law students in my 3rd year, and though it didn't give me any formal qualifications, it was fascinating, and working in medical law later on (though less likely for HM coroner as Renal suggests) is still an option for me. You would probably have to let one career take precedence over the other, but it is perfectly possible to have elements of both involved.

However, in answer to the OP's original question, I would say that completing first year of law and then switching to medicine would be a pretty poor idea. Many places don't look kindly on you dropping out of one course to switch to theirs, and the year at law school will not leave you with any worthwhile qualifications, just another year of student debt.
Reply 34
Helenia
Agreed. then the same answer to you. Mods need to read posts too.
jenna109
not that i plan on doing this, but just curious:
can people switch from a law degree to a medical degree? after their first-year in law school if they studied science in high school [ib sciences]?

You'd basically have to go through the whole application process again, thus wasting an extra year usually to get into medicine as you need all the work experience and admissions tests.
Gizmo!
i fink young peeple who are educated to believe in prestige (16 to 25 year olds in posh skool and unis), will care about prestige.

in their twenties, the prestige veneer wears off, as they begin to discover what life is actually about, and that 10 A*s doesnt pay the rent or cook your supper for you. eventually, all this is replaced by a desire for warm digs, decent 'olidays, a fresh open mind,good culinary skills and someone you love next to yuo in bed, the real aims in life.

its really an andicap to be raised like this - you only cotton on to thereal fings in life years after everyone else.

He's actually got a point to be fair, but its not really helpful.
Reply 37
Helenia
Agreed.

To go back to the original point, I know a few medics who've either done a law degree then grad medicine, or done a law course as part of their medical degree/part time alongside work. I myself did a medical law paper alongside the law students in my 3rd year, and though it didn't give me any formal qualifications, it was fascinating, and working in medical law later on (though less likely for HM coroner as Renal suggests) is still an option for me. You would probably have to let one career take precedence over the other, but it is perfectly possible to have elements of both involved.

However, in answer to the OP's original question, I would say that completing first year of law and then switching to medicine would be a pretty poor idea. Many places don't look kindly on you dropping out of one course to switch to theirs, and the year at law school will not leave you with any worthwhile qualifications, just another year of student debt.

Wow, I didn't know people woud have an argument on this thread lol.
Thanks, I don't think I will drop out of law school. I don't think I'd mind studying law actually and could probably excel in the field of torts/IP. Are you done law school now and working?
Reply 38
jenna109
Wow, I didn't know people woud have an argument on this thread lol.
Thanks, I don't think I will drop out of law school. I don't think I'd mind studying law actually and could probably excel in the field of torts/IP. Are you done law school now and working?

I'm done with medical school and now work as the most junior of juniors in a hospital. I only did medical law as a minor subject in my 3rd year - I'm nowhere near being an actual lawyer.
Sorry just seen this

erm- can I just clarify that it IS possible to be totally interested in both law and medicine without caring about prestige. There are many people out there who are commited to both

I did law originally and am applying for medicine as a mature student. I have worked in city firms for 5 years in personal injury and now work in medical law/clinical negligence. But I have always wanted to do medicine, really. I just made the wrong decision at 17/18

Anyway it is possible to do both and there are people out there who have done both and practice both but if I had my time again I would do medicine first then do a one year conversion course afterwards if I wanted to do law then. Having one year of an LLB is pointless really. You need to finish the whole thing, get a high grade and then you could possibly apply for grad entry medicine.
Otherwise you will need to reapply properly through UCAS with UKCAT etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending