The Student Room Group

Reference/Background Checking at Investment Banks

I've been lucky enough to be offered a job in an IB. It's actually my only offer after being rejected almost everywhere else.

I know part of this will involve a background checking in IB. I just wanted to know how thorough this is?

What sort of background checks will they do in my work. All the jobs I gave and their titles are correct and dates but I don't get along with my line manager and I know they won't give a good character reference and will ruin it at whatever chance they get.

I would appreciate if anyone whose gone through the reference checking procedure/background checking could tell me what it involves and what they will look for.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Boy, you are not particularly a role model!

Nobody gives a damn about your societies.
For previous jobs they will only ask whether you actually worked there during the dates indicated. If that is the case, they will tick the box. You will normally still need a reference though, but it doesn't have to be your boss.
Being caught cheating in an exam is more serious. I wouldn't say it's a deal break, so just cross fingers.
I've got a problem too, not mentoning i got a D in an AS level..
Reply 3
Thanks anfitrion for you response.
Reply 4
dannylfc_1

I heard that in that situation they ask you why you didn't mention it. You have to reconfirm details in your background checking form which I guess you could put it down then.
Reply 5
OMG you're screwed.
Reply 6
:frown:
dannylfc_1

They'll find out. Possibly won't care.
yummy_baby
I've been lucky enough to be offered a job in an IB. It's actually my only offer after being rejected almost everywhere else.

I know part of this will involve a background checking in IB. I just wanted to know how thorough this is?

On my form I wrote I was part of a few societies. I wrote I was a member of several societies. I was only a paid member of one society and the other societies I used to attend by doing a pay and go membership but these were never recorded and I obviously don't hold receipts.

Will they check to see if I was a member of all the societies I claimed at university?

Also, while at university I was caught for cheating in an exam. I paid the price for this (had my modules capped, resat the exam etc) but I know it's still on my record and will pop up in the background check (I never did it again). Will this work against me?

Finally what sort of background checks will they do in my work. All the jobs I gave and their titles are correct and dates but I don't get along with my line manager and I know they won't give a good character reference and will ruin it at whatever chance they get.

I would appreciate if anyone whose gone through the reference checking procedure/background checking could tell me what it involves and what they will look for.

Societies they don't check.

Cheating could be a dealbreaker, but I don't think they'll find out.

Don't ask for a reference from your previous line manager, and it won't be an issue. They only check dates and role.
Reply 9
dannylfc_1

I don't see why this would be too much of an issue really, it's a qualification you happen to have, if not having it didn't matter to the company, then surely a poor grade in it wouldn't matter? Just come up with an excuse, say you tried to teach yourself it and it went wrong. As long as you haven't lied about your A2s then you'll be fine.
Reply 10
loggins
I don't see why this would be too much of an issue really, it's a qualification you happen to have, if not having it didn't matter to the company, then surely a poor grade in it wouldn't matter? Just come up with an excuse, say you tried to teach yourself it and it went wrong. As long as you haven't lied about your A2s then you'll be fine.

On one of the extra A level's I took I didnt attend the exam so I got a D overall for it, and I never mention it in my CV as its additional stuff anyway. Reckon thats a problem?
Reply 11
PorcineAviation
Societies they don't check.

Cheating could be a dealbreaker, but I don't think they'll find out.

Don't ask for a reference from your previous line manager, and it won't be an issue. They only check dates and role.

Thanks.

I just double checked my CV and realised one of the months is wrong for one role. The role started in March and for some bizarre reason (I think it was a copying and paste error) I wrote January but on the form I would confirm the date as March but that won't match my CV which says January. My only proof of not lying is that I applied to them last year and it had the correct dates so there would be no reason to falsify the dates when all of it was true then.

Should I inform them now I made an error?
Seriously, what is this thread, cock-ups anonymous.

If I were interviewer I would have no hesitation in rejecting someone who couldn't even fill in a form correctly.
PorcineAviation
Seriously, what is this thread, cock-ups anonymous.

If I were interviewer I would have no hesitation in rejecting someone who couldn't even fill in a form correctly.

Someone's got to work in BO.
BetterThanHeaven
Someone's got to work in BO.

harsh, but...

:rofl:
jobhunter1985
harsh, but...

:rofl:

Twas tongue in cheek.
Reply 16
There's no point in worrying about whether or not they'll contact your universities or employers, since it's not something you have control over. You really have a choice between two courses of action:

1. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. Your employer might find out about the cheating in which case you could be a gonner, but they might not.

2. Get in touch with your employer and come clean, in the hope that your honesty will get you bonus points.

To be honest taking option (2) is likely to be higher risk, since it implies that you've de facto been lying to them up to this point and throughout your application. Your only chance, really, is to risk it.
Reply 17
Thanks bramlow, I appreciate your reponse.

If I wait until the background check they'll say "thats not what you wrote on your CV" although I'm worried if I tell them now they'll retract the offer. Would it not be better to tell them now as I have spotted it now although I know it looks fishy as they will think I'm only telling them because I got the offer when acutally I would have told them before should I noticed it before. I never thought I'd get the dates wrong (hence in my first post I wrote it all correct) as the CVs I have previously submitted to them and other companies have always held the correct date, titles etc.
Reply 18
Out of interest which IB is this with? Might be able to give you a little more colour on referencing policy
Reply 19
dannylfc_1

Assuming you didn't lie about it (i.e. you didn't say you got an A) and you just omitted it, that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending