The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Howard
Emigrating to the US is extremely difficult. Take it from me.

Why is that then? I mean if you marry someone there, then you're in pretty much.
Maybe New York, but most likley Canada:yep:
Why go to the US?

Canada has it so much better, as does the EU.
Me! The earlier the better. But not for longer than 6 years I think. Who knows?
Reply 24
cruciform
Why is that then? I mean if you marry someone there, then you're in pretty much.

Sure, you can marry your way in. But you'd better make damn sure its a genuine marriage because you will be interviewed and they will know if its bogus.
cruciform
marriage?

Well yeah, but I would have to marry an American........chance is I won't........
If you think there are no opportunities in the UK, how do you figure moving to a country with much higher unemployment will help you? Especially when you're not a citizen of said country.

Also, you know you can't just move to whatever country tickles your fancy - right?
Howard
Sure, you can marry your way in. But you'd better make damn sure its a genuine marriage because you will be interviewed and they will know if its bogus.

Why is American immigration so strict, yet it has an illegal immigrant population numbering millions?
Reply 28
If I go to UCL I may take part in the international programme and spend a year studying in America. I might do Camp America too :biggrin:

I don't think I will ever live there permanently though.
Reply 29
Moe Lester
Why is American immigration so strict, yet it has an illegal immigrant population numbering millions?

Don't know. The US immigration system is a mess and needs to be completely overhauled imo.
I don't mean offend anyone but I just find the USA to be a crazy country.
Really wouldn't to live there.
i'm having to study it right now for politics and the more research I do the more my head aches.. the level of hypocrisy in general.
Yet like many people in the world, as a child (from the media) i was lead to believe the streets of america were paved with gold.
Reply 31
skeeeeeen. Its actually kind of adorable how you crazy kids think you can just decide to emigrate to America
cruciform
Who here is emigrating to USA? I mean with Britain going through a bad "phase", a long period of economic and social recovery ahead, who here is planning for a move?

I feel there are just no opportunities here anymore.

And it's the same in the States.

Record unemployment in many areas, and at the moment, priority for jobs will go to US citizens.

My dad owns and runs a successful business here in the States, and although we're moving back to the UK in June, he isn't going to sell his business. He has promoted one of his senior executives to run the business once we move, and he is going to be working alongside my dad for the next few months, so his job has also been filled by a promotion. Therefore, my dad has a vacant position, which last week he put out to advert. He has had a record number of applications and there is still another week to apply.

Furthermore, the number of H1B jobs (jobs for skilled overseas workers that come with a sponsored visa) is lower than it has been for many years.

Getting into the US is not easy. Yes there's marriage, but also not a walk in the park, especially if people think about going down the sham marriage route. USA immigration officials are scary, scary people!
I wish I could, it's the one place I want to live - isn't it like, impossible unless you're rich, have family or are a doctor?
Howard
Don't know. The US immigration system is a mess and needs to be completely overhauled imo.

Well yeah, it's like buying a burgler alarm, CCTV camera, pressure pads, security lights and then not bothering with a front door. Although doesn't illegal immigration prop up the economies of California with farming, Nevada in Vegas .etc.......maybe it's quitely supported?
Good luck guys :facepalm2:
Reply 36
USA is more strict in immigration possibly due to the 9/11 attacks. Yes, there are millions of illegal immigrations. Many stay beyond their visa requires. Others hopped over the fence through the Mexican boarder, which is another reason why it is strict. I know someone who is a Chinese citizen and she has visa to go many European countries, Australia, and Canada but she can't get into the US with three tries. It's hard. Oh yeah, getting a green card (permanent resident card) is going to be a long process. Make room for at least 7-10 years of getting a green card.

Also, if you plan to go to US, plan well when it comes to location. New York and San Francisco are one of the most expensive cities. Rent for one/two room apartment is at least $1100. In California, people drive more than taking public transportation. Public universities for non-US citizen is at least $10,000.

Marriage could be a cake walk but it is a long process. I know an American about to marry a Chinese woman and he told me the future process they're gonna have to go through. After 1 year, US govt is gonna check up on them randomly and for the next 3 years or so to see if their marriage is intact and most importantly, legit.
Reply 37
cruciform
Yes but the US economy is...well I have to say remarkably special, the economy is huge, even though it has just emerged from recession, it will recover quicker than most countries because of it can rely on so many industries and services for output. I mean take Britain for example, it has nothing that is going to pull itself back to what it was before the recession happened, Britain have always been heavily reliant on financial services for the economy, now that financial services have crashed and burned, unfriendly to new/young talent in the financial sector and with people being driven abroad in search of new opportunity, we no longer have that.

O rly?

"Britain will turn in stronger growth than any other major economy next year, Goldman Sachs has declared, predicting a significantly stronger-than-expected recovery in the coming years."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7021071/UK-to-grow-faster-than-other-major-economies.html
Reply 38
USA or Canada for me. In the future. I used to dream about Australia but I'm not too sure.
It's either Go Hard or Go Home. If all plans fail i'm off to Africa. :cool:
Reply 39

Latest

Trending

Trending