The Student Room Group

I weigh 7 stone and still have flab :(

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with an illness a few months ago which isn't anything major but when untreated, leads to vomiting, a lack of appetite and other yucky things. So because of this, I lost a stone in less than 3 months. Now that I'm on medication and better, I can at least appreciate the 'good' effects the illness perhaps had :p:, as I'd been trying to shift a few pounds anyway ha.

The thing is, even though I'm technically "skinny" (7 st and 5 ft 3 tall), my body still isn't as toned as I'd like. I still have a bit of flab on my stomach, upper thighs and arms that I'd like to shift but I don't want to go under 7 stone because that just sounds worrying lol.

Can anyone suggest ideas of what I should do? Will cardio shift this weight or should I do spot exercises? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's all about toning. I don't know enough to try and advise you but I'm sure one of the fitness crew who hang out here will come point you in the right direction :smile:
It's fat you want to lose.=, not weight.
So I'd say interval training,it's brilliant for burning fat.
That and eating healthily will help you burn fat.
Firstly, you're about a stone underweight so that should be address healthily - maybe a trip to your GP for some guidance on gaining weight sensibly. Secondly, developing a healthy covering of muscle would be very advantageous to you I think.

Body weight exercise, free weights and maybe even some Yoga would do you the world of good. You need to get fit and strong.
Eat a lot. Go the gym. How turd are these threads?
Reply 5
HIIT(high intensity interval training) would help that methinks.
Throwback
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with an illness a few months ago which isn't anything major but when untreated, leads to vomiting, a lack of appetite and other yucky things. So because of this, I lost a stone in less than 3 months. Now that I'm on medication and better, I can at least appreciate the 'good' effects the illness perhaps had :p:, as I'd been trying to shift a few pounds anyway ha.

The thing is, even though I'm technically "skinny" (7 st and 5 ft 3 tall), my body still isn't as toned as I'd like. I still have a bit of flab on my stomach, upper thighs and arms that I'd like to shift but I don't want to go under 7 stone because that just sounds worrying lol.

Can anyone suggest ideas of what I should do? Will cardio shift this weight or should I do spot exercises? Thanks

you have a bmi of 17.3. you need to see a doctor. you seem to see your self as fat when you are clinically anorexic and if you do not gain weight you could end up very ill, even die.

the doctor will be able to sort you out with therapy (which will help you realise that you are 'organ failiur' skinny), give you some diet advice, and send you for tests to make sure you do not have brittle bones or electrolyt imbalances (which can kill).

loosing that much weight is never a good thing
Reply 7
Ilora-Danon
Firstly, you're about a stone underweight so that should be address healthily - maybe a trip to your GP for some guidance on gaining weight sensibly. Secondly, developing a healthy covering of muscle would be very advantageous to you I think.

Body weight exercise, free weights and maybe even some Yoga would do you the world of good. You need to get fit and strong.

Thanks for the advice. I was considering doing squats, jumping jacks and stuff like that in a circuit which is what I used to do before, which increases strength right? . But yeah you're right, I am generally so weak now lol, I tried doing some stuff the other day and I was useless. I saw my doctor at the hospital last week and they didn't seem too concerned about my weight but I think a visit to the GP might be a good thing. I wouldn't mind gaining some weight as long as its not in the form of fat.
Reply 8
ballerinabetty
you have a bmi of 17.3. you need to see a doctor. you seem to see your self as fat when you are clinically anorexic and if you do not gain weight you could end up very ill, even die.

the doctor will be able to sort you out with therapy (which will help you realise that you are 'organ failiur' skinny), give you some diet advice, and send you for tests to make sure you do not have brittle bones or electrolyt imbalances (which can kill).

Thanks for your help but I'm not and don't look anywhere near clinically anorexic!

I saw my doctor last week and she didn't suggest I would die if I didn't gain weight.
Reply 9
JP19
HIIT(high intensity interval training) would help that methinks.

Would that be more effective on a bike or cross trainer? I've got both at home, and can't afford the gym!
Throwback
Thanks for the advice. I was considering doing squats, jumping jacks and stuff like that in a circuit which is what I used to do before, which increases strength right? . But yeah you're right, I am generally so weak now lol, I tried doing some stuff the other day and I was useless. I saw my doctor at the hospital last week and they didn't seem too concerned about my weight but I think a visit to the GP might be a good thing. I wouldn't mind gaining some weight as long as its not in the form of fat.
It's odd isn't it! My best friend was weighed recently and her doctor started lecturing her because she's 8st and 8st 1 is the lowest recommended healthy weight for her height. So I can only imagine what they'd say about your 7st at the same height!

I would suggest to try building muscle first and see what that does to the scales - in all honesty, you probably could do with an extra few lbs of fat on your bones, but I'm not here to lecture you about women and low body fat (I'm sure you know the problems associated with low body fat)

Yeah things like squats and jumping jacks are great strength building exercises. Even better are weighted squats and lunges. A pair of dumbbells in each hand will add to the resistance. Back, chest and arms can all be worked with free weights and will definitely shape up your physique. I love weights, they're like magic, I can usually see definition within a couple of weeks of continual use. I love them hehe.

If you're at a gym, ask specifically for a weights program, they'll sort you one out I'm sure.
ballerinabetty

a bit OTT, don't you think? :rolleyes:

OP, if you're not doing any exercise, there will still be "flab" on you, until you reach some ridiculously low weight, which believe me, you shouldn't reach :no:
Reply 12
Ilora-Danon

She wants to tone up and lose fat not lose weight. Losing fat and losing weight are not synonymous. Therefore she has no reason to see the GP as she will put on weight naturally after toning up; the body likes to remain in its optimum equilibrium.
Throwback
Thanks for your help but I'm not and don't look anywhere near clinically anorexic!
I saw my doctor last week and she didn't suggest I would die if I didn't gain weight.

this statement alone shows that you have a unrealistic view of your self.

you may not think you look anorexic but it is a fact that you are. your bmi says so. and so as a result of that you risk serious complications if you weight stays low.
being at that weight for a short period of time is not dangerous but trying to maintaine it over more than a year would effect your health a lot.
your GP prob accepted the weight loss because of your illness and will be expecting you to regain it naturally not diet to keep it off. i can asure you she would not support further weight loss.
Reply 14
Throwback

That's great to hear!

From your description, I'd say you're skinny fat, you're skinny, but have a low amount of muscle vs. fat.

Get to the gym, get on a weights program, mainly squats, deadlifts and presses.

If you can't get to the gym you can do most of the stuff at home. Weighted squats, lunges etc, using a backpack full of books etc. You could buy some adjustable dumbells for this.

I'd really recommend Never Gymless by Ross Enamait, it has a comprehensive list of exercises for all types of aims, that can be performed at home, well worth it.
Broderss
She wants to tone up and lose fat not lose weight. Losing fat and losing weight are not synonymous. Therefore she has no reason to see the GP as she will put on weight naturally after toning up; the body likes to remain in its optimum equilibrium.
What I'm saying is, she 'needs' to GAIN fat and BUILD muscle to be at her optimum. She's a stone underweight, which suggests she's at a low body fat percentage AND probably has very little amount of muscle too. Thus why I suggested a resistance program to help her build muscle. Of course she'll gain 'weight' due to the muscle, but my guess is she still won't be at a healthy BF% if she only focuses on building muscle (or toning as you call it, yuck).

Therefore, gaining a bit of fat (as well as a decent covering of muscle) won't do her any harm at all.
sil3nt_cha0s
a bit OTT, don't you think? :rolleyes:

OP, if you're not doing any exercise, there will still be "flab" on you, until you reach some ridiculously low weight, which believe me, you shouldn't reach :no:

not at all. i have seen people die at a higher weight than the OP becasue of thier weight.
is bmi 17.3 (clinical anorexic weight) not a very low weight.
Reply 17
Ilora-Danon
What I'm saying is, she 'needs' to GAIN fat and BUILD muscle to be at her optimum. She's a stone underweight, which suggests she's at a low body fat percentage AND probably has very little amount of muscle too. Thus why I suggested a resistance program to help her build muscle. Of course she'll gain 'weight' due to the muscle, but my guess is she still won't be at a healthy BF% if she only focuses on building muscle (or toning as you call it, yuck).

Therefore, gaining a bit of fat (as well as a decent covering of muscle) won't do her any harm at all.

Cool.
ballerinabetty
not at all. i have seen people die at a higher weight than the OP becasue of thier weight.
is bmi 17.3 (clinical anorexic weight) not a very low weight.

suppose.
Reply 19
Throwback
Would that be more effective on a bike or cross trainer? I've got both at home, and can't afford the gym!

At first I'd suggest the bike, and since your weight is so low definitely try to bulk up a little. If you eat well and do exercise the flab will go and you'll reach a healthy weight.

Quick Reply

Latest