The Student Room Group

CGP Books for GCSE

hello everyone, I just want to find out what is your opinion about cgp books, are they good for revision to get A*s, cus today I was doing past papers and i had some questions that cgp does not mention it.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Don't just depend on one thing. Use CGP if you think it helps, but don't solely base all your revision on it. At GCSE it did slightly help me. I did better in the subjects I had a guide in but maybe that's just me. Past papers and guides are best together :top:
I bought some CGP books, but didn't actually end up using them that much for my revision. The constant poor humour on the page really annoyed me.

I think they would be quite a useful resource though!
Reply 3
I only used them for science and they were all I used for revision. I had one for my specific exam board (Edexcel) and everything in it was even in the order the teacher's did the lessons! And they had all the detail required. May not be as good if you don't have your specific exam board though.
They're OK. The jokes are excruciatingly bad, though.
Reply 5
Don't worry about it, drink cheap lager and kiss people like everyone else. You'll be fine.
Reply 6
Piggy's Glasses
They're OK. The jokes are excruciatingly bad, though.

Did you read the periodicity one in the AS Chemistry? :rofl:

OP, they are good if you don't understand something and just want to understand it, there are better things for actual revision.

The more resources you get/use, the better, so by all means get it but look at other books too including your main textbook.

Which GCSE is this btw?
Yes. You'll be fine. Make sure you revise them back to front, have the right exam board-specific ones, and try not to kill yourself after reading the jokes. Combine this with past papers under exam conditions!
Reply 8
The are good revision guides, but I find that they don't go into much detail. I prefer the Letts ones because they are more in depth. But I think the English anthology revision guides from CGP are very good.
Reply 9
Helped me get an A* in English & Lit at GCSE, even though i was predicted a C. But i worked hard, very hard to get those grades. I reckon they could you get a grade higher, but thats about it
Reply 10
tknight7
Helped me get an A* in English & Lit at GCSE, even though i was predicted a C. But i worked hard, very hard to get those grades. I reckon they could you get a grade higher, but thats about it

Well done!

I'm predicted a Grade B in English, but I'm aiming for an A. We have had our English Mock's, and for the 'poetry question', I wrote about 4 pages and my english teacher stopped marking it half way through, and today he goes to me that I wrote too much and he didn't read it all. We haven't got our results yet, but he is such an idiot.
I doubt I can get an A in english, oh well this is rather off the topic.

Bye :biggrin:
Like some people said they are good but combine with past papers and other books as well.i use CGP and Collins books,and it works for me.
Personally, i swear by 'em and tend to get A*'s in my exams
I think they're really good for science and maths because of how consise they are.
I prefer to cheaper ones to the official/boring ones they do, simply because the detail is pretty much equal and there's a big difference in the price.

Bitesize have to be the worst.
It is probably best to use a variety of materials. There are some revision guides that are exam board specific. This ensures that you are covering just what you need to know. It is worth bearing in mind that exams are set according to the subject content that is listed in the specification. These are available on the internet free of charge.
I didn't like them for History, but sciency based ones are pretty good, I found. However I wouldn't rely solely on a revision guide, past papers along side them will be much more effective.
Reply 16
There a good resource but certainly don't rely on them. I find a combination of revision on the things you don't know and are unsure of from a study guide good but the real good revision is practice paper and studying mark schemes
Is the CGP revision guide enough for revision for the Human geography exam ?
(I'm doing Tourism, Changing urban environments and Development gap if that helps)
Reply 18
Original post by moneyballs2

The constant poor humour on the page really annoyed me.

I think they would be quite a useful resource though!

Nobody else understands how annoying they are! :rolleyes:
Original post by saifwhab
hello everyone, I just want to find out what is your opinion about cgp books, are they good for revision to get A*s, cus today I was doing past papers and i had some questions that cgp does not mention it.

Thanks

Like others have said, they can be quite useful in some subjects, or even just to give you that extra bit of knowledge, but I wouldn't rely on them solely as your only revision source :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest