The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
I guess the logs way would work as well but they are not mentioned in the spec at all. The book I studied from was the Edexcel one and it didnt mention that all tbh.
Reply 541
That was a ridiculously hard paper! I actually felt like crying in the exam hall! I didn't have time to finish it either!!

Looks like i'm going to have to resit. :frown:
kosy91
why did they say that lead was 6mm thick?? was that needed anywhere or was it to suuggest that the diagram was to scale???

it was to scale i measured it and then ended up drawing a circle with my ruler as i didnt have a compass and got a radius of 3cm which made a reasonable circle. Although it wasn't a great paper i don't think it was as bad as some people are making out. Edexcels %accuracy is ridiculous though, since when was 110m around 100m??? i thought wtf then thought hang on its edexcel, thats probably right
Reply 543
I think it should be under 54/80 for an A, that may sound too low, but last year Unit 1 and 2, you needed 54/80 for an A I think, and this was much harder.
Reply 544
kosy91
in the PQRS thing you had to multipy it by 50turns...i did the same as you at first and then changed it.

Why do you multiply by the no. of turns? I wondered if 50 turns or 30 degrees might be relevant, but just used the formula F =BIL.:confused:

For the question about the exponential curve, plot ln I against t to get a straight line, not through the origin. To estimate the time constant, divide I-zero by e (2.71828, not the electron charge!) and get the value of t corresponding to this value of I.
Reply 545
Has anyone got the paper?
Reply 546
wooper
Has anyone got the paper?

I think everyone was far too disheartened to have it. :smile:
Reply 547
Kameo
I think it should be under 54/80 for an A, that may sound too low, but last year Unit 1 and 2, you needed 54/80 for an A I think, and this was much harder.

that would make me very happy. :smile:
Reply 548
insertusername
it was to scale i measured it and then ended up drawing a circle with my ruler as i didnt have a compass and got a radius of 3cm which made a reasonable circle. Although it wasn't a great paper i don't think it was as bad as some people are making out. Edexcels %accuracy is ridiculous though, since when was 110m around 100m??? i thought wtf then thought hang on its edexcel, thats probably right

that made me lol.....seriously

yeah it would have been better as 110m than 100m

for that radius thing,....i had no idea what to do with it and just got the radius somehow to use in the next part...because of that i got the explanation wrong as i thought radius below lead is smaller than radius above and concluded that it was moving down...damn!!
Reply 549
wooper
Why do you multiply by the no. of turns? I wondered if 50 turns or 30 degrees might be relevant, but just used the formula F =BIL.

For the question about the exponential curve, plot ln I against t to get a straight line, not through the origin. To estimate the time constant, divide I-zero by e (2.71828, not the electron charge!) and get the value of t corresponding to this value of I.

god knows why you multiply by 50....
i didnt know how to prove that its exponential..i dont think its mentioned in the edexcel book or ay other book i have read...for time constant...i used the formulas and some values from the grph to prove it...theoratical was 0.3s and my graphical was 0.26s
Reply 550
Can anyone remember the multiple choice questions? I remember the angular velocity one, the units of energy, the charging capacitor, the square coil, and the one with a lambda particle splitting into 2 others. Which was the one in 2 parts?

How did people do the part where you had to explain how electric and magnetic fields are used in a cyclotron?
Reply 551
for the last question for the positron I got the velocity to be above the speed of light. :eek3:
Reply 552
Kameo
for the last question for the positron I got the velocity to be above the speed of light. :eek3:

This is right. In the last part ('Comment on your answer'), you were supposed to say that the mass is higher than the rest mass, and so the velocity is actually lower than the calculated value.
Reply 553
wooper
This is right. In the last part ('Comment on your answer'), you were supposed to say that the mass is higher than the rest mass, and so the velocity is actually lower than the calculated value.

yup i did that too

what was the general comment for the paper from ur classmates n teachers??
Has anyone made a facebook page complaining yet if so i'll join
Reply 555
wooper

Damn I said that it was above the speed of light so relativistic effects would have to be taken into consideration where the mass increases significantly.
Reply 556
kameo, thats actually correct, either that or your radius was inaccurate i suppose
Reply 557
But I didn't say that the actual velocity is lower.
Reply 558
Kameo
But I didn't say that the actual velocity is lower.

i said exactly what you said
Reply 559
favourute subject worst exam... :s

Latest

Trending

Trending