The Student Room Group

Getting sacked at Tesco

So I've just rung my work up ( tesco ) and told them that I won't be able to make my shift today ( 2pm - 10pm ) because of Uni work and deadlines etc. I apologised for it many times. She told me that I will be given a disciplinary and this could lead to been sacked because I have not for-filled my contract and that I don't care about my job...

I had 3 weeks off when uni started ( I work one day a week, so that's 3 weeks ) because I didn't have a proper timetable, and they wasn't that bothered. Today I was spoken to quite rudely and she ( my manager) said that they are short staffed and " I know how it is on the night shift" I said yes, there are about 4 people on between 8pm and 10pm, how is that my fault. She then went on about saying if I rung earlier they could have got someone to cover me ( I know, this is true ) She then asked me to come in, basically threatening me by saying " If you don't come in today you will suffer the consequences" Now I've never been told off before, and having a few days off in almost 2 years is fairly reliable, though she said it is not at all reliable!!!

I'm dreading next Saturday now, they like to make a fool out of you at my store, but I've read my Tesco handbook and it says that you must ring 2 hours before the sift starts ( which I did ) and if you keep taking days off WITHOUT ringing, you will face a disciplinary. Since this is my first disciplinary ( if it comes to that ) they can't sack me can they ? I know that they have dropped a few people's hours because they " can't afford it " but I've heard from other employees that they took 7 days off without ringing, and they still work there.

I'm also with the USDAW, which is the union so if they try and sack me, I can appeal and get help from the union.

Thank You for your input, now I need to work !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You won't get sacked for this, after all your disciplinary really isn't going to be as severe as you thought. I got a disciplinary while working at Sainsbury's and we just sat down for 5 minutes while my manager read me some rules.

But next time you call in just pretend you're ill or something, large supermarkets like Tesco's really aren't very understanding about university workloads.
They can probably sack you with impunity. Why should they give a toss about your uni workload?
Reply 3
Having said that considering you only work a few hours a week you really should have had your work done by then. Taking time off for work when you have so much other time is a bit cheeky.
Reply 4
It does sound quite unfair to ring them at such sort notice and it makes sense the manager was angry because it would make her job (and everyone eles's) a lot harder, but if you stuck to the rules I spose you've done nothing wrong.

If I were you I would just make sure I give enough notice next time :dontknow:, just don't give them a reason to be angry again. At my job you have to give two weeks notice so I was chuffed when I gave 3 days and got a day off :o:.
Reply 5
Ham22
**** tescos. your work is more important. invite them to **** themselves.

This is exactly how I feel, but I rely on the money £50/week to travel to Uni. I would love to quit and do better at Uni but I can't afford it.

I wish I said that I was ill but I kinda listened to my Mum :tongue:, and told the truth. On the phone I said that I could have lied and said I was ill but I didn't, I told them the truth ( not they they care ) I'm really worried now that they will sack me, but I've not been given a copy of the disciplinary actions so I don't know. I think that when I go in next week, I will state my good points; always on time, always polite to customers, haven't had many days off over the 2 years of being employed etc.

Someone else who works there go sacked because she was always 30 minutes later for every shift... she appealed and got her job back but now everyone hates her.

I know I need to manage time better, but this Architecture course is very intense. Others in my group are struggle and they live on campus with no jobs, but I still achieve higher grades than they do anyway :woo: so Uni life it great, it's just my job that I hate/struggle with and sacrifice for Uni.

I hope I don't get sacked for obvious reasons, and only now I wish I said that I was ill, or offered to come in for 5 hours instead...
Reply 6
You call them up only 2 hours before your shift and say you can't come? If I were a manager I'd be ******* pissed too. I think they roster you at least a week ahead? If that's true, it's your responsibility to let them know of your N/As immediately so that they can get a replacement.
Reply 7
You're forgetting the animosity that can build up when a member of staff consistently doesn't show up or make an effort. Timetables are there in advance for people to show up, not for you to cancel last minute because you're not organised to get your work done. Unless you're casual staff you have no excuse to put uni work in front of tesco work. Either you can make the shifts consistently, or you should really lose the job. Managers have enough to worry about without worrying if a member of staff will even show up that day.
Reply 8
Are you sure the two hour call isn't just for cases like illness? Surely you can't just cancel shifts like that without a 'good' reason.

Usually most retail companies just do a 'return to work' interview when someone misses a shift. HR would probably laugh at your manager for trying to book a disciplinary for something like this.
Well at Waitrose you have to come even if you're ill so I would say it was irresponsible of you to phone up just 2 hours before. Maybe a day in advance if you knew you weren't going to be able to do the shift? At least then you wouldn't have been told you've got a disciplinary hearing.
You will not get sacked, full stop.
well to be honest i wouldn't be surprised... at least you could pretend you're sick or something... getting a day off work to do Uni work, when you work ONE DAY A WEEK is not acceptable! you have the other 6 days to do it plus the morning before work/evening after! Sorry mate but that's just the truth.
Reply 12
Depends how long you've been working there. You said you'd been there over two years, so they can give you a verbal warning, but you by law can take someone to witness that. Then, if you need another warning it must be within three months of the first or it's void. So basically, they can't sack you. Although when you leave you probably won't get a reference if you're so unreliable..
hypocriticaljap
They can probably sack you with impunity. Why should they give a toss about your uni workload?

They cannot sack him for this if he has worked there over a certain period of time (2 years will cover it) or they might find themselves at an employment tribunal

However, may find they have good grounds next time if done again soon citing unreliability.
well what are you doing on tsr do your work :P: you'll be fine
Can't comment directly on Tesco, but from the perspective of several other retail companies I've worked for, you'd probably not be sacked. But don't expect anything from your management now. You will come last in all considerations - if you and someone else both want holiday on the same day and they can only approve one then the other person will get. If you want overtime or some flexibility, forget it. Likewise, this sort of thing will hack off your colleagues. I for one, would be very unhappy to have to cover more work because someone couldn't be bothered to come to work. University work is no excuse - you signed a contract and you should stick to it.
Reply 16
Spinnerette
Well at Waitrose you have to come even if you're ill so I would say it was irresponsible of you to phone up just 2 hours before. Maybe a day in advance if you knew you weren't going to be able to do the shift? At least then you wouldn't have been told you've got a disciplinary hearing.

But 2 hours is Tesco's rule, it's not like Waitrose. I would also argue that if you are truly ill you wouldn't be physically able to go to work.
Reply 17
You wouldn't last long in most careers with an attitude like this, although I expect the supermarkets are more than used to it.

I don't think you'll get anything too bad, probably just the part of whatever disciplinary scheme they run. If they eventually wanted to sack you if you do this again though, I don't think you'd have any real arguement against it and I wouldn't expect the union to be able to do anything either..
Reply 18
at my workplace you get 3 disciplinarys before getting sacked, dont worry, BE EASY JIGGA N*GGA
Reply 19
All comments taken:

This is the first time I've taken a day off for Uni. They weren't bothered when I took a few days off in the time of starting uni I told them in advance and they accepted it. I pre-booked all my holidays so that this wouldn't happen. They denied most of my holiday for no reason so that's why i had to take extra time off in September.

Believe me, I feel bad, I've let myself down and the workforce. My store is so ' individual' though. I work until 10pm and I always get the same ( nice ) customer at 9.50pm. There will be me and ONE other employee on the checkouts whilst any other staff who are o n checkouts will just be wondering around the store or taking to the team leader ( no doing their work basically ) now they can quite easily live with than and get away with it. I know what I did today was wrong but I doubt they have the grounds to sack me, for reasons highlighted above. The last customer I have every week says this almost every week " Why do you have to work when the other people just stand there talking" I reply " I don't let it bother me, I just do the work I need to do and go home"... she said she was going to speak with customer services about the other people not working but that doesn't matter anyway.

There's loads of people on checkouts who hate their job and don't turn up, I'm not the only one, but I'm one of few who at least ring up to tell them I won't be coming in. Everyone who takes days off still keep their job. If they attempt to sack me, I will be going to the union and whatever else I can do... Will a employment tribunal really happen if they choose to sack me on the spot ?

Latest

Trending

Trending