The Student Room Group

URNU - Joining late in the year

Hi, guys.

I'm currently studying a Computer Systems Engineering course at Cardiff University and having read about opportunities for Engineers in the RN, I was wondering if it might be too late for me to join the University Royal Naval Unit.

I've read that recruitment starts in September of each year. Is this the only opportunity to join up?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Email them and ask. But generally and standard procedure is for them to have a September intake only. Allowing you in now means a load of paper work, get the doctors in again, passing tests, admin and most importantly bonds will have already been made within the unit.

Your best bet it getting fit from now till September, aiming for Officer type goals. Then impress them in September.
Reply 2
Thanks, Puma. It's just as well you've said that. I'm not as fit as I used to be by a long shot. My concern is I've read that they don't take in people in their second year. Have you heard that?
Reply 3
Hmm, again you would need to email them as each Unit will probably be different.
I thought they always took students on with at least two years left on their course. This could be wrong however, so please email and ask.
Reply 4
They may be able to take you on as an associate member this year- this means that you tip up to drill nights etc in smart civvys, but dont get paid and cant go to sea. The upside being that if you are keen, the CO will find a way to get you onboard, even if it is next academic year. Wales URNU also organises the ARMY V Navy rugby match exped in May for URNUs in the south of england, as an associate member you will be able to buy tickets etc for stuff like this. Its definitely worth giving them a bell!
Reply 5
I joined in September (in my second year). The year before me had a lot of second years join up also. as long as you can show that you are a suitable candidate, and will put effort and time into the unit as well as taking from it, theres no reason why they won't allow you to join.

Last year we had 1 person join in March (she was a 2nd yr then), and apparently it was 50/50 whether she joined last years New Entry or this years. OC decided she would join last years. Email them, can't do any harm!
Reply 6
Original post by HarryB
I joined in September (in my second year). The year before me had a lot of second years join up also. as long as you can show that you are a suitable candidate, and will put effort and time into the unit as well as taking from it, theres no reason why they won't allow you to join.

Last year we had 1 person join in March (she was a 2nd yr then), and apparently it was 50/50 whether she joined last years New Entry or this years. OC decided she would join last years. Email them, can't do any harm!

Just wondering, is it competitive to get a place in the London URNU?
Reply 7
Original post by nobody1
Just wondering, is it competitive to get a place in the London URNU?

As HarryB hasn't been on the forum for a couple of weeks, I'll jump in.

All the university forces-affiliated organisations will be competitive, they all have limited spaces and a wide student base with many applicants wanting to get in. No reason to put you off, though. Have a search and read through any of the other URNU threads [there'll be a few] for more info, as well as the RN's own site.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
As HarryB hasn't been on the forum for a couple of weeks, I'll jump in.

All the university forces-affiliated organisations will be competitive, they all have limited spaces and a wide student base with many applicants wanting to get in. No reason to put you off, though. Have a search and read through any of the other URNU threads [there'll be a few] for more info, as well as the RN's own site.

Thank you
Original post by mjclackjones
I'm not as fit as I used to be by a long shot.

i really wouldnt worry about physical fitness. You arent required to do the RN fitness test or infact any fitness tests to join or stay in the URNU. As long as you can lift a pint youll be fine.

The only aspect of physical fitness is passing the medical. If your massively obese or 20 sone or similar then you may have a problem!

Of course they may reject you at selection on the grounds that if youve managed to get yourself to 25 stone then you may not have the character and qualities they are looking at as an URNU member. Although this is more down to your interview.
Reply 10
Original post by warrenpenalver
i really wouldnt worry about physical fitness. You arent required to do the RN fitness test or infact any fitness tests to join or stay in the URNU. As long as you can lift a pint youll be fine.

Is that true? On both the UAS and the UOTC students are put through the fitness tests of the respective services so that they can go and do things like the adventurous training, the flying, the sailing, etc... I'd be amazed if the URNU wasn't the same....

*that isn't to say the fitness required to pass the tests is high, 9.10 on the bleep test and a few pressups and situps, not exactly the All-Arms course...
nope no fitness test. only that you can swim 50m as a safety issue, and i know someone who was still accepted who couldnt swim so wasnt allowed to go to sea.

the only time they might make you do a fitness test is after you have joined and are doing the induction weekend at dartmouth where the routine usually includes physical exercise. Although it would be a lazy PTI who does that rather than a more varied work out routine. Plus it isnt assessed.
As a memer of the URNU, I can safely say the warrenpenalver is pretty much right. The only EXCEPTION is that you will do the standard Navy Swim test. It can be done anywhere, but at the beginning of the academic year they'll take you down to Dartmouth for a weekend and they normally hold it there. - But don't worry, its not too strenous - 2 mins dreading water, swim 50m (2 pool lengths) and climb out of the pool unassisted, all whilst in a boiler-suit type overall that tends to hold lots of water (extra weight). To be perfectly honest, it sounds alot harder than it is, and so I really wouldn't worry about it, especially as I'm pretty if you fail that its down to the CO's discretion to not care about it anyway!

You'll be fine. Join in September if I were you, I really wouldn't join mid-way through, you'll miss out on a lot. There is no reason whatsoever that would bar you from joining in your second year of uni, I know loads of people in my unit who did so.
Reply 13
Original post by The.Fun.Times
As a memer of the URNU, I can safely say the warrenpenalver is pretty much right. The only EXCEPTION is that you will do the standard Navy Swim test. It can be done anywhere, but at the beginning of the academic year they'll take you down to Dartmouth for a weekend and they normally hold it there. - But don't worry, its not too strenous - 2 mins dreading water, swim 50m (2 pool lengths) and climb out of the pool unassisted, all whilst in a boiler-suit type overall that tends to hold lots of water (extra weight). To be perfectly honest, it sounds alot harder than it is, and so I really wouldn't worry about it, especially as I'm pretty if you fail that its down to the CO's discretion to not care about it anyway!

You'll be fine. Join in September if I were you, I really wouldn't join mid-way through, you'll miss out on a lot. There is no reason whatsoever that would bar you from joining in your second year of uni, I know loads of people in my unit who did so.

Is there a time limit?

I'm getting kind of worried now... It's been almost 10 years since I went swimming LOL.
Reply 14
Yes there is a time limit, but don't worry. When I did mine, only half the students there passed it to RN standards. If you fail, your own unit make you do it until you pass.

Also, Wales and Southampton URNUs are the most competitive units to get into at the moment!
Reply 15
Which URNU are you hoping to get in to?
Reply 16
Original post by ahc
Which URNU are you hoping to get in to?

During by his post history he wants to go to Imperial. So, London.
Reply 17
If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore :ninja:
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore :ninja:

LOL Drewski you arn't a recruiter are you?

Quick Reply